What's new

Ranjit Singh : The Quintessential Indus Man

Ranjit Singh is seen as a hero for the Sikhs.

There are a number of misconceptions about him amongst the Muslims but this is bound to occur when a population of one religion is ruled by another. For example Hindus have always complained about Akbar's rule though he is seen as a hero amongst Muslims.

I believe Ranjit singh was a good ruler and he developed his Nation into an Empire. His hold on what is today northern Pakistan was strong. His powerful generals helped him build up his empire. Men like jean francois allard were in his retinue and commanded his armies.

Btw I have seen Afghans using all sorts of swear words against Ranjit Singh. Even Pashtun Nationalists here. I guess he often waged war against the Afghans and even took some of their territory. Some Afghans evidently are living in the past and believe Pakistan is some reincarnation of Ranjit Singh. Very amusing when you hear them talk about it.

I think you are mistaken there, Akbar's rule was marked by general tolerance and is remembered as Akbar the great.

Well some hindus definitely think so....

The Real Akbar. The (not) So Great

Site claims:
AKBAR AGAIN SLAUGHTERED MORE THAN 30,000 UNARMED CAPTIVE HINDU PEASANTS AFTER THE FALL OF CHITOD ON FEBRUARY 24, 1568.

I guess Indians and Pakistanis both are taught a completely different history. My cousins in India make the same claims. You compare knowledge on history about the same event and its like comparing two different events. Sometimes its even annoying. We used to ask them if you are taught every Muslim ruler who conquered India is painted as anti hindu and a murderer then who is good.

The Indian muslims seem to be receiving the 'other side of history'... of course we can't complain but it is kind of true.

Well some hindus definitely think so....

The Real Akbar. The (not) So Great

Site claims:

I guess Indians and Pakistanis both are taught a completely different history. My cousins in India make the same claims. You compare knowledge on history about the same event and its like comparing two different events. Sometimes its even annoying. We used to ask them if you are taught every Muslim ruler who conquered India is painted as anti hindu and a murderer then who is good.

The Indian muslims seem to be receiving the 'other side of history'... of course we can't complain but it is kind of true.

Even Ashoka had murdered in his days, but later transformed!!!
Akbar transformed later to be great enough, to be called as, Akbar the great!

I think you are mistaken there, Akbar's rule was marked by general tolerance and is remembered as Akbar the great.

All lies glorified by Romila Thapar and Gang.He was every bit a tyrant and Bigot and hardly what is written about him.

Akbar is just the most successful and did some marketing to push his status up,that's all.

Even Ashoka had murdered in his days, but later transformed!!!
Akbar transformed later to be great enough, to be called as, Akbar the great!

Please stop glorifying a midget,mongol tyrant called Akbar and glorifying his deeds.He is just a Ghazi,a semi illiterate tyrant useful for people to confuse Indians.

Another indian-made propganda. Show me proof that Afghans raped Punjabi women. Punjab was under Afghan rule only once and that was the Durrani empire.
Not exactly,
1- Suri Afghans ruled it for 15 years from 1540 to 1555
2- Before that, Lodhis ruled it for 100 years (In addition to Lodhi period, the governors of Punjab during Sayyad dynasty were also Afghans)
3- Khilji/Ghilzai Afghans ruled it for 30 years from 1290 to 1320.
4- Shiekh hamid Lodhi and his descendents ruled Multan (South Punjab) for 80 years from 961 A.D to 1040 A.D

Ranjit Singh is seen as a hero for the Sikhs.

There are a number of misconceptions about him amongst the Muslims but this is bound to occur when a population of one religion is ruled by another. For example Hindus have always complained about Akbar's rule though he is seen as a hero amongst Muslims.

I believe Ranjit singh was a good ruler and he developed his Nation into an Empire. His hold on what is today northern Pakistan was strong. His powerful generals helped him build up his empire. Men like jean francois allard were in his retinue and commanded his armies.

Btw I have seen Afghans using all sorts of swear words against Ranjit Singh. Even Pashtun Nationalists here. I guess he often waged war against the Afghans and even took some of their territory. Some Afghans evidently are living in the past and believe Pakistan is some reincarnation of Ranjit Singh. Very amusing when you hear them talk about it.
I would say Afghans and Pashtuns, with some sense of history, are actually impressed by Ranjeet Singh's military achievements. Pashtuns/Afghans mention Sikhs separately from other punjabis, and there are reasons for it. The Pashtun literature is not consumed by hatred for Sikhs, it boasts of fighting with Sikhs.......its in nature of Pashtuns to recognize and respect the military powers and martial communities, and that respect is not shown by bowing head infront of them but trying chopping it.

Paa Ji, thats not the real image of Ranjeet Singh, thats Amir Sher Ali Khan of Afghanistan

You are right brother I don't know why according to some sources this image is of sher-e-punjab and the man standing behind is sardar hari singh
Why do these afghans have moustaches and beards was it a fashion at that time ?

RanjitSingh_by_ManuSaluja.jpg

Lord of the five rivers sher-e-punjab Maharaja Ranjit singh

You are right brother I don't know why according to some sources this image is of sher-e-punjab and the man standing behind is sardar hari singh
Why do these afghans have moustaches and beards was it a fashion at that time ?

Lord of the five rivers sher-e-punjab Maharaja Ranjit singh
They still have fashion of mustaches and beards......you wont see complete clean-shaved faces in Pashtun rural areas at all, men grow either mustaches or beards.

They still have fashion of mustaches and beards......you wont see complete clean-shaved faces in Pashtun rural areas at all, men grow either mustaches or beards.

Those are considered traits of manliness around the globe
But growing both at the same time does it not make them look like infidels ?

This is actual photo RS.

He actually didn't look like typical punjabi jat.

Attachments

• ranjit.jpg
    ranjit.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 43
Those are considered traits of manliness around the globe
But growing both at the same time does it not make them look like infidels ?
Nope thats not the case, young men usually have moustaches while middle ones and old ones grow beards. What i meant was, that clean-shaved face is frowned upon, you are taunted for that. I dont know what you meant by infidel thing buts its more than religous, it is also embedded in culture. A clean-shaved man is considered hijra and womanish among pashtuns. In my area if some one dares to clean-shave or wear pant shirts, he is mocked "punjabay" (must be sounding racist, but the first clean-shaved ones with modren outlook that we saw, were either angraiz or punjabis..also generally punjabis are looked down upon by us for not being conservative, and not sticking to traditions and values)

I would say Afghans and Pashtuns, with some sense of history, are actually impressed by Ranjeet Singh's military achievements. Pashtuns/Afghans mention Sikhs separately from other punjabis, and there are reasons for it. The Pashtun literature is not consumed by hatred for Sikhs, it boasts of fighting with Sikhs.......its in nature of Pashtuns to recognize and respect the military powers and martial communities, and that respect is not shown by bowing head infront of them but trying chopping it.
I don't have a very high opinion of ranjeet singh not because of religion, but because of his particular promotion of a very hegemonic type of Punjabi dominance , the after effects of which I think , is still prevalent in the Pakistani society , though the successful promotion of Urdu as a lingua franca in Punjab , has somewhat restrained it, but its still there

as for bravery the Sikh are good but in my opinion if anyone deserves the respect of the Pashtuns then it is the Ghurkha's , what's your opinion on this

ps: if you want we can open a separate thread for it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom