What's new

Ranjit Singh : The Quintessential Indus Man

RobbieS

Reaction score
I came across this blog a couple of days back while researching some stuff on Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Though written by a Pakistani, it refutes commonly held perceptions about Ranjit Singh in Pakistan - of him being an anti-Muslim, destroying Mosques, forcibly converting Hindus and Muslims to Sikhism and converting the Badshahi mosque into a stable. Facts like most of the people he ruled over were Muslims (peacefully for 30 years) and that his army comprised of Muslim contingents is looked over by many people who paint him as anti-Islamic tyrant. As this blog below proves and so do other accounts, including by the British traveler and historian Cunningham, Ranjit Singh was first and foremost a Punjabi. And one that all Punjabis on both sides of the border should be proud of.

Ranjit Singh : The Quintessential Indus Man

By Yasser Latif Hamdani

Today (29th June) is the 170th death anniversary of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, the Bismarck of Punjab and Pakhtunkhwa, whose great Indus state was the forerunner of Pakistan.

Narrowminded ideologues – writing in the aftermath of bitter communal bloodletting accompanying the birth of Pakistan- have not been able to fully appreciate the significance of this great statesman to the state of Pakistan. If they were to apply their minds to the history of the Punjab from late 18th to mid 19th century theywould find in support of the legal arguments employed by Jinnah a hundred years later. The great tragedy ofcourse was that Sikh leadership could not come to terms with Jinnah in 1947 even though the latter had given them a blank cheque.

Maharaja Ranjit Singh literally cobbled together a number of principalities to forge an independent state from Kashmir to NWFP consisting of Punjabis and Pakhtuns, Muslims and Hindus. This state had its own foreign relations and foreign policy. It also showed that India was never one country but a continent which was to become the basic premise upon which Muslim League was t0 build its case for Pakistan. More importantly, however, Ranjit Singh laid the foundations for the Punjabi parochialism that was to create such a huge problem for both Indian National Congress and the All India Muslim League, forcing the latter to search for a slogan that sought to tame this parochialism. It was this powerful parochialism that Jinnah referred to when he told Mountbatten that “A Punjabi is a Punjabi before he is a Muslim or Hindu ” while arguing against the partition of the province. This identity was given to the Punjabis by Ranjit Singh.

How did this one-eyed Sikh warrior manage to bring together Punjabi Musalmans, Sikhs, Hindus and Pushtun Musalmans together in this one great Sikh-dominated state remains a mystery. It is said that a calligrapher tried to sell a beautifully copy of the Quran to Ranjit Singh’s Foreign Minister Fakir Azizuddin who wouldn’t buy it. Ranjit Singh overheard the argument, took the Holy Quran, kissed it and bought it for a price in excess of what is being asked. When asked why he replied “God gave me one eye – so that I could see all religions with the same eye”. Our historians would have us believe that this man defiled the Badshahi Mosque.

Perhaps the most poignant lessons that the Pakistani state can learn from the Maharaja is the way he brought the Wahabi-led Islamist insurgency against the state in form of Syed Ahmad and Shah Abdul Aziz. These forerunners of the modern day Taliban and Al Qaeda had taken refuge in NWFP and had used the Pathan tribesmen to wage a “Jehad” against Ranjit Singh and his state which was in any event Muslim majority. Ranjit Singh and the Army of the Indus crushed this earliest insurgency of the Taliban, pushing back Afghans who had occupied Peshawar since Mahmud Ghaznavi’s time, thus establishing what was to become the permanent border of British India later and consequently Pakistan’s border. It is often said that the British and Russians failed to subdue insurgencies in the tribal area. It is suggested that the US might lose the war as well. However, Ranjit Singh proved that the Army of Indus could defeat this insurgency. Today another Army of the Indus is fighting yet another war in the same region to safeguard another Muslim majority state against a “Jehad”. Inshallah the Army of the Indus will overcome.

This is no call for Punjabi parochialism lest I be mistaken- I believe in Punjab being divided up into several provinces. My interest in Ranjit Singh is purely from a Pakistani angle. Just as we admire Tipu Sultan but do not become Mysore Nationalists, we don’t become Punjabi nationalists by admiring Ranjit Singh. This is however an attempt to honor one of the greatest sons of this soil from whom the Pakistani nation state can learn a thing or two in state-craft.

Ranjit Singh : The Quintessential Indus Man Pak Tea House

a7dc179620176f7bee335bd8b069ec58.jpg

032eec7ea04b142f577770823643ed04.jpg

Nice article. Lets all Punjabi's in India and Pakistan carve out a nation for us out of India and Pakistan.

This was LTTE's ideology. Ethinicity over religion and country.

without maharaja ranjeet singh panjab history is totally uncompleate.he was real brave honest and very kind person .its so sad many of pakistani panjab ppl don't know him.i read two very very historical books on panjab history .there is 400 pages of his life story writen in 1870 in panjabi i read and it was great great experiance to know him. i beleve he was very very kind its unbeleve able when our muslim kings give to there enemyes and crimnals very very turture and punishments like remove the eyes cut beheed them but ranjeet singh never ever do like this in his rule. many times he knock the door of a poor former he eat wih him saag and lassi and when he leave his house he told him i am your maharaja.waoooooooooo.some one read history of panjab he will got what kind of great man maharaja ranjeet singh was.its too sad after he dai maharani jindaan and his brother make mess with khalsa and sardars of other mishals.

without maharaja ranjeet singh panjab history is totally uncompleate.he was real brave honest and very kind person .its so sad many of pakistani panjab ppl don't know him.i read two very very historical books on panjab history .there is 400 pages of his life story writen in 1870 in panjabi i read and it was great great experiance to know him. i beleve he was very very kind its unbeleve able when our muslim kings give to there enemyes and crimnals very very turture and punishments like remove the eyes cut beheed them but ranjeet singh never ever do like this in his rule. many times he knock the door of a poor former he eat wih him saag and lassi and when he leave his house he told him i am your maharaja.waoooooooooo.some one read history of panjab he will got what kind of great man maharaja ranjeet singh was.its too sad after he dai maharani jindaan and his brother make mess with khalsa and sardars of other mishals.

Imran bhai, the fact remains that the warrior nature of us Punjabis often leads us to fight amongst ourselves. We end up wasting too much energy upon our kins and are left with nothing to fight the enemy. Its this very nature that led first the Misls and then Ranjit Singh successors to fight and ultimately destroy the Lahore Durbar. I would rather blame us Punjabis for the decline of independent Punjab founded by Ranjit Singh than the British.

As the saying goes in our side of the Punjab - "Je Sikh Sikh Nu Na Maare Taan Kaum Kade Na Haare". The same can be ascribed to us Punjabis.

just look at faimly maharaja was great man but his whole faimly never got a singl man who is even 50% like him .first KHARAK SINGH nothing a small brain man who even not a brave.sedha sada .thats why his sone keep him in house arrest and hold take power.nonihal sigh was good but what happen we all know sardar sardar game will kill him some who accendent but it was morder the door of lahor palce fall when he cross it.after that maharani jindaan a women and last wife of maharaja a uneducated poorest girl to maharani her thught will nail last nail in coffen of panjab freedom.after that english rule .maharani thinking she can distroy khasla army power and live with her son and brother in power .whats done after 10 years of maharaja death there was no khalsa raj.

Nice article. Lets all Punjabi's in India and Pakistan carve out a nation for us out of India and Pakistan.

This was LTTE's ideology. Ethinicity over religion and country.

your avatar is your own image :rofl:

just look at faimly maharaja was great man but his whole faimly never got a singl man who is even 50% like him .first KHARAK SINGH nothing a small brain man who even not a brave.sedha sada .thats why his sone keep him in house arrest and hold take power.nonihal sigh was good but what happen we all know sardar sardar game will kill him some who accendent but it was morder the door of lahor palce fall when he cross it.after that maharani jindaan a women and last wife of maharaja a uneducated poorest girl to maharani her thught will nail last nail in coffen of panjab freedom.after that english rule .maharani thinking she can distroy khasla army power and live with her son and brother in power .whats done after 10 years of maharaja death there was no khalsa raj.

What happened to his youngest son Dalip Singh was even worse. He was taken to Britain as a kid and was made to renounce his faith and accept Christianity. He was anglicized to and made to forget his relations with his motherland of Punjab. He wasn't allowed to go back to Punjab, his own motherland by the British. He did re-convert to Sikhism later in his life and made an attempt to get back to India. He passed away during the journey. I believe his grave is somewhere in Paris.

Imran bhai, the fact remains that the warrior nature of us Punjabis often leads us to fight amongst ourselves. We end up wasting too much energy upon our kins and are left with nothing to fight the enemy. Its this very nature that led first the Misls and then Ranjit Singh successors to fight and ultimately destroy the Lahore Durbar. I would rather blame us Punjabis for the decline of independent Punjab founded by Ranjit Singh than the British.

As the saying goes in our side of the Punjab - "Je Sikh Sikh Nu Na Maare Taan Kaum Kade Na Haare". The same can be ascribed to us Punjabis.

What about the Dogra's? :undecided:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom