Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Rampant extortion
By Mohammad Ali Babakhel
Published about 23 hours ago
53d555f8b7e47.jpg

The writer is a police officer.
INCREASING incidents of extortion are an added challenge law enforcers are confronting. It’s an organised crime and a parallel taxation mechanism administered either by non-state actors or organised criminals.

Extortion provides funds to militant organisations. Whenever other funding sources dry up terrorists turn to extortion and kidnapping for ransom. Criminals are also indulging in the extortion racket. Resultantly, the growing menace of extortion erodes the public’s confidence in the police.

It is an erroneous perception that extortion is a by-product of the ongoing wave of militancy. The incorporation of extortion in Article 383 of the Pakistan Penal Code (PPC) of 1860 indicates that the menace is not a modern-day problem. However, technology today has facilitated extortionists in accomplishing their objectives in an organised manner.

In an extortion bid, the first step is the identification of a potential target; information is often gathered through a confidant of the family. To achieve this objective, militant organisations also establish research wings.

Extortionists are taking full advantage of technology.
The second step is communication. The extortion demand is communicated through a handwritten letter or mobile phone call. In exceptional cases demands are also communicated via SMS or email.

If the target opts not to pay up then the extortionists go for low-level coercive methods, such as setting off an improvised explosive device in front of his residence or lobbing a hand grenade inside it.

Due to fear and mistrust of the police, complainants initially do not report such matters to the law enforcers. Victims are reluctant to share the facts regarding extortion demands. Such avoidance of contact with the police on part of the victim further complicates the situation. Initially, extortionists play on the fears of the target but afterwards they actually harm him. In such cases witnesses are usually from the same family and therefore afraid to share the facts.

Migration to other cities also does not resolve the issue, as the criminals’ agents follow the victims in other cities too.

Extortionists are taking full advantage of technology and loopholes in the business of illegal and unverified Afghan and Pakistani SIMs. Extortionists also take full advantage of administrative limitations faced by the KP police. For example, in the majority of cases when the location is traced, it happens to be beyond the police jurisdiction.

Mobile service providers are merely interested in profit; they are least concerned about the consequences of illegal SIMs. The existing gap between the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority, police and mobile telephone companies needs to be bridged; it will help the police nab the extortionists.

In Pakistan, this menace has travelled from the south to the northwest. During 2013, Karachi police registered 545 cases and KP police 40 cases of extortion respectively. During the current year KP police registered 164 cases and arrested 156 accused. However, the conviction rate remained zero.

The nature of extortion in Karachi is different from that in Peshawar. The majority of cases in Peshawar have links with terrorist outfits concentrated in Afghanistan and Fata.

In 2013, owing to the increasing trend of extortion in Honduras, a National Anti-Extortion Force was raised. Within 10 months, the force arrested 370 extortionists and prevented the collection of $1.8 million in payments.

The creation of a new force motivated the victims to register complaints. All those arrested in nine months were convicted; 100pc conviction rate was a strong message from the criminal justice system.

Article 222 of the Honduran penal code instituted a sentence of 15 to 20 years and a fine of minimum $12,000. The Honduran model encouraged reporting and helped the authorities understand the gravity of the situation.

Likewise, El Salvador’s penal code establishes a 15-year prison term for extortionists. To nab them, the anti-extortion sub-directorate has allocated more officers and resources. This unit also increased public engagement and introduced a toll-free hotline.

Article 384 of the PPC incorporates maximum imprisonment of three years or a fine, or both. Keeping in view the reluctance of witnesses, the poor capacity of investigators and lack of technological support to the police, it is imperative to amend the PPC and enhance the punishment. Pakistan Rangers also introduced online registration of complaints against extortionists while the KP police has an anti-extortion unit.

Since it is also a trans-border crime, cooperation between Pakistan and Afghanistan is imperative. To nip the evil in the bud, cellular companies should revise their business protocols, particularly the roaming service extended to Afghan mobile companies.

Technological barriers confronted by the police facilitate criminals. To nab extortionists the police need instant access to call data, availability of GSM locators and capacity-building of investigators.

The writer is a police officer.

The Fata and Afghan migrants in Islamabad and Rawalpindi have started this trend too.

The article is right. The nature of extortion is different in Karachi. It is an organized bhatta collection by a political party (MQM) which threatens ordinary shopkeepers with murder to extorte money. @W.11 The day the gangsters in your party (including Altaf Bhai) are held accountable by law and punished for their crimes, I will change my position in regards to it.

The article is right. The nature of extortion is different in Karachi. It is an organized bhatta collection by a political party (MQM) which threatens ordinary shopkeepers with murder to extorte money. @W.11 The day the gangsters in your party (including Altaf Bhai) are held accountable by law and punished for their crimes, I will change my position in regards to it.

this is not a karachi thread but KPK thread, the most you swollow the bitter pill the better for you

What to be expected .. Extortion is the imminent industry in KpK since decades.

extortions keep businessmen away, or make him move out to saver area as soon as he can.

The Fata and Afghan migrants in Islamabad and Rawalpindi have started this trend too.

Many rich people from KPK are moving to Punjab because of that, but if Punjab become like KPK....

Many rich people from KPK are moving to Punjab because of that, but if Punjab become like KPK....

Judging by the things ongoing, and the fact that Pakistani state does not recognize indigenous people and their right to their land, Punjab, particularly the north Punjab, would become a "new KPK". It's like north Punjab was "Potohar" with its own distinct tribes for the past 4000 years, yet all of a sudden out of thin air, everyone has a right to move here even if it risks the host community losing its own language and culture. It's like the Pakistani state does not even recognize the rights of natives over their lands.

And the people who tell you "are we not Pakistanis?". I assure, if other linguistic groups with negative activities in general started moving to their own homelands, their whole point of views would change. And let me tell you a fact; most Islamabad and pindiites that I know were actually happy that IDPs were stopped at Attock. Gone are the days of "open heart". Our hearts were open, but were returned the favour by carjackings, death threats and kidnappings.

Judging by the things ongoing, and the fact that Pakistani state does not recognize indigenous people and their right to their land, Punjab, particularly the north Punjab, would become a "new KPK". It's like north Punjab was "Potohar" with its own distinct tribes for the past 4000 years, yet all of a sudden out of thin air, everyone has a right to move here even if it risks the host community losing its own language and culture. It's like the Pakistani state does not even recognize the rights of natives over their lands.

And the people who tell you "are we not Pakistanis?". I assure, if other linguistic groups with negative activities in general started moving to their own homelands, their whole point of views would change. And let me tell you a fact; most Islamabad and pindiites that I know were actually happy that IDPs were stopped at Attock. Gone are the days of "open heart". Our hearts were open, but were returned the favour by carjackings, death threats and kidnappings.

I am pretty sure Potohar rural will remain how it is, cities are multi ethinic anyway especially Islamabad which is federal capital. Only way to get rid extortions is very harsh punishment.

I am pretty sure Potohar rural will remain how it is, cities are multi ethinic anyway especially Islamabad which is federal capital. Only way to get rid extortions is very harsh punishment.

Believe me if I was a Pakistani leader, I'd send all these Afghans to gas chambers like Hitler. When they're forced to leave their basti, they return just a few months later and open up a new basti somewhere else. Pakistan should form a law where if a deported afghan returns, he'd have to face 10 year imprisonment. Nato withdrawal will send further lacs into Pakistan, and this time their focus will be Islamabad/Rawalpindi rather than Peshawar. A qabayli is tolerable for us, an Afghan is not. If thousands more move into our homeland, I hope the locals will repeat 47, but this times Afghans instead of hindhu and sikhs as victims. Excuse my violent remarks.

what you can do is to move islamabad out. This is my advice to the pothwaris who think they own the country

what you can do is to move islamabad out. This is my advice to the pothwaris who think they own the country

I'm more focused on Rawalpindi and rural Islamabad than the main city. And don't quote my posts again.

Believe me if I was a Pakistani leader, I'd send all these Afghans to gas chambers like Hitler. When they're forced to leave their basti, they return just a few months later and open up a new basti somewhere else. Pakistan should form a law where if a deported afghan returns, he'd have to face 10 year imprisonment. Nato withdrawal will send further lacs into Pakistan, and this time their focus will be Islamabad/Rawalpindi rather than Peshawar. A qabayli is tolerable for us, an Afghan is not. If thousands more move into our homeland, I hope the locals will repeat 47, but this times Afghans instead of hindhu and sikhs as victims. Excuse my violent remarks.

Why are you promoting genocide of Afghan Muslims? What a disgusting, horrible post!

Post reported.

You will never get over your racism. Not only it extends to local Pakistanis, but it extends international borders as well.

Some people in Pothwar think they are made of Gold. That is what Hitler believed.

Are Afghanis moving to rural Potohar regions also in big numbers?

I think half of all "pathans" are Afghani rather than from Pakistan tribal areas. They also sometime lie and claim a Pakistani origin when in fact they are Afghans. Their bastis got demolished in Islamabad main city, and they made new ones in Fatehjhang and Kahuta which are small villages.

0, member: 156700"]I'm more focused on Rawalpindi and rural Islamabad than the main city. And don't quote my posts again

Why are you promoting genocide of Afghan Muslims? What a disgusting, horrible post!

Post reported.

You will never get over your racism. Not only it extends to local Pakistanis, but it extends international borders as well.

Some people in Pothwar think they are made of Gold. That is what Hitler believed.

Maybe you can accommodate a fresh Afghani migration to Multan then? It is bound to happen after Nato withdrawal.

Back
Top Bottom