What's new

Railway passenger fare hiked by 14.2% with immediate effect from today

you wont like my ans mate , so lets just leave it . :)

No I am up for it, if there is a rational argument, i am all game...........

P.S. People here think that I am die hard BJP supporter, but i can show N no. of threads here in which i gave thumps up to then Congress govt. decisions.

The government must now compensate by reducing tax burden on the common man.

OR ELSE I will vote against BJP in the coming assembly elections.

No I am up for it, if there is a rational argument, i am all game...........

P.S. People here think that I am die hard BJP supporter, but i can show N no. of threads here in which i gave thumps up to then Congress govt. decisions.
Lets keep it for the weekend . my wife is nagging me to take the family out for dinner.

Forget the railways .... BJP proposed to hike prices of each cigarette by Rs3.50 :hitwall:

Petrol and diesel prices up.

Railway prices up.

Cigarette and alcohol prices up. Yaar isse to congress hi theek thi :o: Can't believe I am saying this :cheesy:

Lets keep it for the weekend . my wife is nagging me to take the family out for dinner.

People like you and my elder brother keep reminding me why I should never get married :enjoy:

Petrol and diesel prices up.

Railway prices up.

Cigarette and alcohol prices up. Yaar isse to congress hi theek thi :o: Can't believe I am saying this :cheesy:

People like you and my elder brother keep reminding me why I should never get married :enjoy:
Do NOT get married. its a headache. :)

PS: Ple do not tell my wife , she will kill me :D

let's make things clearer it was congress led UPA which provisioned it but let it get postponed to next govt

any way ....its okay ..but at the same time facilities needed to be increased..and ofcouse speed of trains....

:D
Well since I am a die hard BJP fan, what am I about to write may not get your approval :D

It's not about getting any approval, but since my view is always aimed on good or bad for India and not good or bad for a specific party, it's good for me to get different point of views. Since you supported BJP throughout the elections, I am interested in your view and I would be happy to hear something from a Congress / UPI supporter too.

I am FOR IT & would have been for it even if Congress would had made the decision, to prove that i am not changing my stance, you can chk this thread...

...[Let's debate......Don't you think the HIKE was due? & the article itself says that it was the last govt. that was about to make the hike

From that thread:
Railway Budget 2013 Highlights: No hike in passenger fares, but travel cost to go up

So the last budget were able to balance things without increasing cost for the common people and correct me if I am wrong, but this 14.2 and 6.5% increases of BJP are even higher than the increases that the UPI had planned for this budget right?

Generally I share your view, that one can't get improvements in the railway sector for free and that this comes with increased costs. My problem however is (and that's why I wanted to know your opinion as a BJP supporter), that as jbgt90 correctly pointed out, this is against what the BJP / NDA was during the elections!!!

- price rise for the common people
- price rise that increases production costs in India for the industry, which limits growth

So although I share your view that the costs must increase to modernise, but with a modest rate to not put more burden on the common people and as well the industry. The latter btw will simply divert increasing costs in transportation, with increase product costs and that at the end will hit the common people even more!
So they are not reducing the problems for the people and the industry, but increasing it contrary to what they promised in the elections right?

Also are you sure that all the money that will be collected with this measure, will directly diverted to the modernisation of the railway? It is common for new governments all over the world, to use tax or in this case cost increase to gain more money for their overall buget and use at least parts of this gain in completelly unrelated areas. And keep in mind that the BJP / NDA has given a lot of promises that must be financed somehow, so can you be sure that this money will not be misused?

Last edited:
@sancho I am not economist, but we have to see how INFLATION comes into India.............

I will say it was all due to SoniaNomics.........

Please chk out the Inflation figures during the last NDA regime & compare them to UPA 2 figures.........

Now Why i am asking only for UPA 2 & not UPA 1? B'coz there were many steps taken by UPA 1 whose effects were only visible during UPA 2...........

Be it Farm Loan Waiver (60k crore), NREGA (not sure but 50k crore now), Food subsidy, cylinders, etc. which brought the CAD to as high as 6+% of GDP.

Where will this 6+% money come from? Obviously, More money printed by RBI which means more money circulation & more inflation.

Sonianomics says that give everything for free to poor & keep them inefficient & thus trap them in a vicious circle which keep them always poor, since they got the freebies they wanted for they will vote for Congress.

But BJP esp. Modi doesn't believe in freebies, it's better to develop the skills of a poor so that he can come out of poverty rather than give him freebies & make him inefficient.

You don't bring out a poor from poverty by just reducing the poverty line.

To control inflation GOI has to control CAD & which means do away with SoniaNomics.

I hope @Chinese-Dragon would agree, as he was the one making such points earlier which i agreed.

Sorry if i made a mistake anywhere, as i said, I am no ECONOMIST :)

Good move! let us take all the bitter pills & unpopular decisions in the first two years of Modi govt.. & leave enough room to play around with politics of populism in the last three years.. & in the end of 5 years acche din will be here! :coffee:

Good move! let us take all the bitter pills & unpopular decisions in the first two years of Modi govt.. & leave enough room to play around with politics of populism in the last three years.. & in the end of 5 years acche din will be here! :coffee:
We saw that all the populist crap cant save you if you screw up the macros. On the other hand, as long as you get the macros is shape, all the unpopulist decisions will go thru as smooth as a hot knife thru butter. Good going for the Modi sarkar.

Hard Decisions needed to be taken for sometime now , don't understand why people are whining

@JanjaWeed @sancho I think we are confusing "ACHE DIN" for India as a whole & "ACHE DIN" for Indians..............

They are one & the same thing, if "ACHE DIN" comes for India it will be "ACHE DIN" for all Indians as well.............

If due to this hike, Indian Railways can come in better shape, then it's win-win for ALL.

@sancho

"Annual loss of Indian Railways is about Rs 29,000 crore on passenger traffic alone, this step will help slash that humongous amount"

"Rail fare hike in passenger and freight together in the remaining period of the year will give the railways approximately Rs 11,000 crore"

5 reasons why rail fare hike is good for India - Financial Express

Last edited:
Endure-the-pain-enjoy-the-gain-quotes.jpg

:lol::lol: I love the way people supporting this decision.. Just thinking out loud about what would have been the reaction if the decision was taken by UPA government..:P :P

Back
Top Bottom