What's new

Question: Pashtuns in Pak Army

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this before lemme post it again..
Here's some interesting info.

A more insightful fact is that out of the 11 chiefs of the army, four have been Pashtuns (Generals Ayub Khan, Yahya Khan, Gul Hasan Khan and Waheed Kakar), leading the institution for a total of 18 years (Dawn, October 13). Two of them imposed martial law and remained presidents of Pakistan. Ayub Khan, the first Pakistani commander-in-chief of the army, remained at the helm of affairs for eight years as army chief (1951-58) and an additional 11 years as head of the country (1958-69) (Dawn, October 13). Ayub Khan also promoted himself to field marshal in 1965 and is credited with developing the army into one of the most resourceful and powerful institutions in the country. If it is any indicator of his legacy, his hand-painted portrait can often be seen on the back of the trucks driving from one side of the country to the other—as the transport business overwhelming is in the hands of the Pashtuns.

Within the ranks, Pashtuns are known for their marksmanship, courage and loyalty. Although there are no all-Pashtun regiments, and only one corps of the nine total is headquartered in NWFP, many important training centers for soldiers (Peshawar, Nowshera, Mardan) and the only military training academy for officers (Kakul) are located in the NWFP.
I can list several high ranking Pushtun Officers right off my mind..
Air Chief Marshal Abbas Khattak (Ex Chief Pakistan Air Force)
Major General Akbar Khan
Lieutenant General (retd) Sahabzada Yaqub Ali Khan Pakistans Top Diplomat During 80's after retirement.
General Ehsan ul Haq EX DG ISI, EX CJCOSC.
Lieutenant General Khwaja Mohammad Azhar Khan
General Abdul Hamid Khan EX COS
General Akhtar Abdur Rahman Ex DG ISI EX CJCOSC 4 Star General
Lt General Ali Kuli Khan EX Chief of General Staff
General Rahimuddin Khan Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee from 1984 until his retirement in 1987. longest-serving Governor of Balochistan
Major General Tariq Khan Inspector General FC
Lieutenant General Asad Durrani, a former head of the country's Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) agency
AC Muradk (PAF Pushtun officer)
Another Popular Officer
Karnal Sher Khan (1970–1999) was a Pakistani Army officer and one of only 10 recipients of Pakistan's highest gallantry award, the Nishan-e-Haider. He was a Captain in the 12 Northern Light Infantry (NLI) and, previously in 27 Sindh Regiment of the Pakistan.
etc...

Last edited:
and what about sindhis, dont they make good soldiers?? the second largest ethnic group of pakistan is sindhi so why not them??...

If it answers your question, then let me let you know that every single AlKhalid tank crew that I've met was an ethnic Sindhi. The reason is the same I offered before, divisions seem to tend to be locally sourced and the shouthern armoured command/s therefore have a lot of people from Sindh.

You have to consider the history of PA. Before '47 they recruited mostly from northern Pakistan-Soan valley, Karak, Laki Marwat...NW Punjab and SE Pukhtunkhwa i.e the places where people had supported the British to oust Ranjeet Singh.

It is only post-Pakistan that diversity has really come in.

I have also read this figure of 35-40% but I dont remember the source. What I do remember, was while living near Kakul (PMA Academy), I met many of the officers that were Pakistani Pashtuns, but I know this is not reflective of the entire army and Pakistan is a large country made up of different ethnic groups.

Nonetheless, I would like to see the % of particularly Tribal Pashtuns (Mengals, Wazirs, Mahsuds) as well as Rural Baloch and Gilgitis increased in our army as it will help in providing increased number of jobs (most of the regions these Pakistani's belong to are barren), jobs are scarce and help to diversify the Pakistani army further(which is a good thing as well as being more reflective of Pakistan as a whole)

It would also help bring in more of the martial fighting spirit of these people into our armed forces. And, not to mention, they would make for formidible soldiers on the battle field!

It would be synergistic for both them and the Pakistani armed forces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this before lemme post it again..
I can list several high ranking Pushtun Officers right off my mind..
Air Chief Marshal Abbas Khattak (Ex Chief Pakistan Air Force)
Major General Akbar Khan
Lieutenant General (retd) Sahabzada Yaqub Ali Khan Pakistans Top Diplomat During 80's after retirement.
General Ehsan ul Haq EX DG ISI, EX CJCOSC.
Lieutenant General Khwaja Mohammad Azhar Khan
General Abdul Hamid Khan EX COS
General Akhtar Abdur Rahman Ex DG ISI EX CJCOSC 4 Star General
Lt General Ali Kuli Khan EX Chief of General Staff
General Rahimuddin Khan Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee from 1984 until his retirement in 1987. longest-serving Governor of Balochistan
Major General Tariq Khan Inspector General FC
Lieutenant General Asad Durrani, a former head of the country's Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) agency
AC Muradk (PAF Pushtun officer)
Another Popular Officer
Karnal Sher Khan (1970–1999) was a Pakistani Army officer and one of only 10 recipients of Pakistan's highest gallantry award, the Nishan-e-Haider. He was a Captain in the 12 Northern Light Infantry (NLI) and, previously in 27 Sindh Regiment of the Pakistan.
etc...

Add General Nasirullah Khan Babar to this list.

I second what Hillman said /thread please.

:) This shows that enemy should not be having any doubt in their mind that they can befool theirselves that Pashtuns will ever side with enemy of Pakistan.

We love our country and we have rendered countless sacrifices for the nation while fighting against internal and external enemies .

Pakistan Zindabad, Islam Zindabad, Pakistan Army Zindabad, Pukhtana Zindabad :pakistan:

Tal da wee zama khog watan abad aw shad (May God keep my country prosperous and safe)

I have read some where that pashtuns constitute 14% of army.
while it is a well known fact punjabis are 80% of army.

Let me correct one misinformation...yahaya khan and ayub khan were not pashtuns. Ayub khan was a hazarewal from haripur while yahya khan was qizilbash from chakwal.
Not every khan who call himself pathan is pashtun.

and what about sindhis, dont they make good soldiers?? the second largest ethnic group of pakistan is sindhi so why not them??

its not for trolling so please if you wanna answer plz be gentle.

Bodies of sindhis are generally very weak, they are not martial people.

and what about sindhis, dont they make good soldiers?? the second largest ethnic group of pakistan is sindhi so why not them??

its not for trolling so please if you wanna answer plz be gentle.

Army is open to everybody. anybody who can go through selection process.

Its another matter that some areas are more interested in Army joining for example Chakwal is one area where you will find almost every household has one or two persons in Army ranging from officers to jawans.

I have read some where that pashtuns constitute 14% of army.
while it is a well known fact punjabis are 80% of army.

Let me correct one misinformation...yahaya khan and ayub khan were not pashtuns. Ayub khan was a hazarewal from haripur while yahya khan was qizilbash from chakwal.
Not every khan who call himself pathan is pashtun.

Your friends often spread disinformation :) we cant do much about that.

As far as Hazara is concerned it is diverse division of Pakistan where you will find a huge Pukhtun population.

They are called Khakkhels and Swatis two big major Pukhtun groups there.

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom