What's new

Qatar to spend up to $205bn on infrastructure over the next 5 years

Last edited:
Allow women? What do you mean exactly, mate? Alcohol (word of Arabic origin btw) is sold in hotel bars and beaches in Qatar. I don't know what will happen for the World Cup in over 7 years time though. I expect them to change those laws by then and make them much more liberal.

Anyway UAE should have been given the World Cup if they had to give it to a small GCC state. They would have made an amazing World Cup but I am sure that Qatar will make a big show as well. A lot of awesome projects coming up.
I agree. They would probably make laws more liberal in time for the World Cup.
After all, all these tournaments are about showcasing the city and country and putting it even more on the world map.

@Contrarian

We are a little bit off-topic as usual but the reason for Qatar being such a wealthy state compared to its size and population (based on population ratio they are by far the richest country together with Brunei and a few others) is this below:

Economy of Qatar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can read more hear about Qatar and its history etc.

Qatar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Qatar has been lucky in both resources and population. Though in that sense, almost the entire Arabian peninsula has also been lucky. All the countries in it have a small population and large resources - the perfect recipe to become developed States and provide a great standard of living for its citizens - which I think is the ultimate goal of all Nations.

Last edited:
I agree. They would probably make laws more liberal in time for the World Cup.
After all, all these tournaments are about showcasing the city and country and putting it even more on the world map.

Qatar has been lucky in both resources and population. Though in that sense, almost the entire Arabian peninsula has also been lucky. All the countries in it have a small population and large resources - the perfect recipe to become developed States and provide a great standard of living for its citizens - which I think is the ultimate goal of all Nations.

Yes, undoubtedly. It is after all a prestige project hosting a World Cup. All the infrastructure that they are building is long-term if you look past the stadiums. I will return later to that. It gives attention and attracts investors. Look at the influence of little Qatar. It is astonishing really. In terms of the stadiums that they are building for the World Cup then most of them will only be temporarily from what I recall.

There will be 12 stadiums in total.

About the alcohol thing then Qatar has already stated that they will allow alcohol to be sold during the World Cup and around the stadiums. So a lot of fat Brits will be happy and others.;)

Qatar Mulling Allowing Alcohol in World Cup Stadiums, Articles | THISDAY LIVE

The problem is that some people want it to be sold in the stadiums but alcohol for instance is not allowed to be sold on stadiums in the UK. So a bit pathetic if you ask me.

Yeah, the population of the AP was 78 million in 2000. Not sure what it is now and what it is expected to be in let us say 2050. Probably about 150 million. Yemen for instance has about 30 million people by now and among the fastest growing populations in the world. So has many other GCC member states although the fertility rates are falling. Today most women prefer studies rather than early marriages. At least in KSA. So it shows. The same thing is seen in every other developing society.

Last edited:
You are such an evil person @al-Hasani :lol:

To be honest with you, your educational system is in a big trouble.

@BLACKEAGLE

Education chief to regional bosses: Shape up or ship out

JEDDAH: P.K. ABDUL GHAFOUR

Published — Tuesday 4 February 2014

Last update 5 February 2014 5:11 am

Education Minister Prince Khaled Al-Faisal has launched his efforts to revamp the sector by bringing about revolutionary changes, and has warned regional directors to achieve excellence or leave their posts.
“Education leaders who cannot excel must leave their positions for others,” the minister said, adding: “Productivity is the only wasta (influence) you have with me. We want innovation in work.”Addressing top education officials from all over the Kingdom, Prince Faisal said he was expecting quality work from them that would take the country’s education level to new heights. Every official should increase his or her productivity by 50 percent, the minister said. “Those who work with me must work hard and I believe every one of you has the ability to achieve excellence,” he added. “Every one of you should add something new to your achievements every year, if not you have an option to leave the job,” he told officials at the ministry.
Educationist Abdelelah Saaty, dean of the College of Business in Rabigh, welcomed the prince’s move to revolutionize the education sector, saying it was essential to boost the Kingdom’s future. Saudi Arabia spends more than a quarter of its national budget on education and training. This year it has allocated a whopping SR210 billion for the sector.
Saaty blamed poor curriculum and untrained teachers for the low educational level. “We have to develop our curriculum taking into consideration the latest developments in science and technology,” he told Arab News.
He said the Kingdom’s universities are facing problems caused by poor primary and secondary education. He urged the ministry to learn from the success of international schools that also teach Islam and Arabic language in a better way.
Saaty said strict criteria should be applied while selecting teachers and greater efforts must be made to train them. “If we improve curriculum and educational programs, we can see its positive results in our students.”

Education chief to regional bosses: Shape up or ship out | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Back
Top Bottom