What's new

Qatar nears talks to buy ‘unpopular’ Rafale fighter jets

@mafiya

Comments bro.
Do you also believe that the order will be between 24 and 36 units?

@mafiya

Comments bro.
Do you also believe that the order will be between 24 and 36 units?

Amiri Air Force is considering to replace their Mirage 2000 fleet which is around 20-30. So it is an apt assumption that at most 24-36 Rafael would be bought to replace all those mirages.

Last edited:
Amiri Air Force is serious in replacing their Mirage 2000 fleet which is around 20-30. So it is an apt assumption that at most 24-36 Rafael would be bought to replace all those mirages.

That's what I was thinking.

That would be a magnificent and very impressive fleet for a country of Qatar's size and population. How many units did 1.2 billion strong India order again in comparison?

Qatar is probably (rather they are) the most powerful country in the world compared to its size and population. Already has the highest GDP per capita as well (by far). Interesting to see what the future will tell.

Last edited:

That would be a magnificent and very impressive fleet for a country of Qatar's size and population. How many units did 1.2 billion strong India order again in comparison?

If and when India signs the contract, it would be 124 Rafales ( 20 billion dollar ) with an option of buying 60-70 more in future.

Qatar has been on a military shopping spree lately. They signed a 24 billion$ worth of contract in late march this year that cover the sale of Patriot air defence system, 24 AH 64 Apache & 22 NH 90 helicopters, Javelin ATGMs, 3 Boing AEW&Cs, 2 A330 tankers, German tanks, howitzers and more.

Qatar is probably (rather they are) the most powerful country in the world compared to its size and population. Already has the highest GDP per capita as well (by far). Interesting to see what the future will tell.
India will buy 126 Rafales while 63 more with an option.
Also I think that military procurements anywhere in world have more to do with threat perceptions and not population or size of country.

I think Qatar government would be more concerned abouut its defence than Pakistan's forex reserves.
No offence but JF17 does not hold a candle in front of Rafale
Why does Qatar want to buy the enormously expensive Rafales? What is their threat perception? I think the JF-17 would have been a far better proposition. They could buy twice or thrice the number of JFs, which are no pushovers.

Why does Qatar want to buy the enormously expensive Rafales? What is their threat perception? I think the JF-17 would have been a far better proposition. They could buy twice or thrice the number of JFs, which are no pushovers.

It is all political. At one point you have got the UAE planning to procure the Rafale, which means it is good for Qatar as well. On the other, if the contract is sealed, the Qataris are going to be one of the first nations procuring the DR, which is good for France.

They could buy around 100 mig 21 with that money,why not go for that.Threat perception nowadays is not a stationary condition.you never know which banana republic decides to get your land or resources.
My advice to all middle east countries get armed to the teethand pray for peace

India will buy 126 Rafales while 63 more with an option.
Also I think that military procurements anywhere in world have more to do with threat perceptions and not population or size of country.

I never said that. I just found the comparison astonishing. Qatar which has 0,2% (less even) of the population of India is probably going to buy 1/4 of the units that a 1.2 billion strong India is going to buy. That's crazy to think about no matter what comparisons you make. If you ask me.

Imagine how many thousands of Rafale's India would have to buy in order to reach the number of Rafale's that Qatar will have compared to its population.:o:

A scary thought.

I never said that. I just found the comparison astonishing. Qatar which has 0,2% (less even) of the population of India is probably going to buy 1/4 of the units that a 1.2 billion strong India is going to buy. That's crazy to think about no matter what comparisons you make. If you ask me.

Imagine how many thousands of Rafale's India would have to buy in order to reach the number of Rafale's that Qatar will have compared to its population.:o:

A scary thought.
I see. Another such country is Israel. With Just 7-8 Million population, they have 300+ fourth generation fighter aircrafts. LOLs

I see. Another such country is Israel. With Just 7-8 Million population, they have 300+ fourth generation fighter aircrafts. LOLs

Well, that's true. I guess that is the reality of the ME region. Once the cradle of civilizations for millenniums and now the cradle of warmongering.:lol:

Well, that's true. I guess that is the reality of the ME region. Once the cradle of civilizations for millenniums and now the cradle of warmongering.:lol:
Yeah. Lots of things are going on in whole ME.

Amiri Air Force is considering to replace their Mirage 2000 fleet which is around 20-30. So it is an apt assumption that at most 24-36 Rafael would be bought to replace all those mirages.
Mirage 2000, 20-30??? When did that happen? Last time I checked, it was around a dozen.

Back
Top Bottom