What's new

Q+A: Who could be behind the Mumbai attacks and why?

That is because your govt. has sponsored terrorism and now it came back to haunt you.

No - I would argue that there is a difference between supporting covert operations through proxies and acts such as 911, the Marriot and Mumbai.

Pakistan supported militant groups in IOK to conduct operations against the Indian security forces. The US did much the same in several countries as well. India did so in East Pakistan and in Baluchistan.

So we either call all those countries who utilized such tactics 'sponsors of terrorism', or none of them.

Last edited:
Niaz:

Sir, Irfan Hussain certainly is one of the best journalists/column writers, not only in Pakistan, but probably in the world.

A question Sir, if I may ask, what's your take on what he has written?

My position should have been clear from various posts. I am anti mullah but not for secularism. I believe in Islam but would like to have a freedom of choice such as one has in Dubai. That is, one can go to the mosque or the night club, all depends on ones choice. I would not however agree to forcing down dogma by force.

I believe that all innocent lives whether Pakistani, Indian, Arab, Israeli or African are sacred. No one has the right to kill any one not directly responsible for the alleged crimes in cold blood as occurred in Mumbai. For example I can understand (not condone) suicide bombing of Israeli or Indian Army soldiers, but of civilians! No way.

Any one who does that is in my opinion is a follower of Satan, not of Allah. Therefore I am against sectarian or ethnic killings.

IMO Taj Hotel incident, similar to the one at Marriott Islamabad, was the work of crazy barbarians with GOP not involved in any way. On the other hand, I believe that Godhra incident and the resulting killings of hundreds of Indian Muslims in Gujarat was a deliberate act by Narender Modi’s gov't which tantamount to ethnic cleansing by an elected BJP State gov’t. This cannot be compared with a wanton terrorist act by what I believe to be Al Qaeda terrorists. Therefore Irfan Hussein is wrong in alluding to this in the same breath as Mumbai terrorist attacks.

No - I would point argue that there is a difference between supporting covert operations through proxies and acts such as 911, the Marriot and Mumbai.

Pakistan supported militant groups in IOK to conduct operations against the Indian security forces. The US did much the same in several countries as well. India did so in East Pakistan and in Baluchistan.

So we either call all those countries who utilized such tactics 'sponsors of terrorism', or none of them.

That is not the point.When u support covert operations through proxies u always need some kind of ideology.

It is the ideology of Islamic fundamentalism that has taken roots in Pakistani society.
The groups or the individuals may not be the same but the ideology is certainly the same.

This ideology then links these groups together and they all become part of a global terrorism network.Now be it Indonesia or Pakistan the linking of these various groups can be seen clearly.

The cause of Kashmiri independence may be just for Pakistanis but the method employed through terrorism leaves a lot to be desired.
Just take a look how the recent non-violent separatist movement in Kashmir brought the Indian govt on its knees something all those proxies only failed.

No - I would point argue that there is a difference between supporting covert operations through proxies and acts such as 911, the Marriot and Mumbai.

One country's freedom fighter is another country's Terrorist. In all above cases, everyone sponsored militants and they are paying price.

That is not the point.When u support covert operations through proxies u always need some kind of ideology.

It is the ideology of Islamic fundamentalism that has taken roots in Pakistani society.
The groups or the individuals may not be the same but the ideology is certainly the same.

This ideology then links these groups together and they all become part of a global terrorism network.Now be it Indonesia or Pakistan the linking of these various groups can be seen clearly.

The cause of Kashmiri independence may be just for Pakistanis but the method employed through terrorism leaves a lot to be desired.
Just take a look how the recent non-violent separatist movement in Kashmir brought the Indian govt on its knees something all those proxies only failed.

The ideology behind Kashmir was freeing it from Indian occupation - but it is also true that some of the groups involved ended up being influenced by an extremist interpretation of Islam - but that was not the driving force behind the groups set up to fight against Indian occupation, it manifested itself later.

The methods employed by Pakistan, covert operations through proxies against Indian security forces, are the same as methods employed by the US and India in the past - so again, either they all sponsored terrorism, or none of them did.

blaming others is in indians blood, chanakyas patrimony

The ideology behind Kashmir was freeing it from Indian occupation - but it is also true that some of the groups involved ended up being influenced by an extremist interpretation of Islam - but that was not the driving force behind the groups set up to fight against Indian occupation, it manifested itself later.

The methods employed by Pakistan, covert operations through proxies against Indian security forces, are the same as methods employed by the US and India in the past - so again, either they all sponsored terrorism, or none of them did.

Nope, all of the groups are influenced by extremist Islam. The whole Kashmiri separatist movement is based on extremist Islam.

Nope, all of the groups are influenced by extremist Islam. The whole Kashmiri separatist movement is based on extremist Islam.

Wrong. Hizbul Mujahideen is multi-religious in fact.

And the proportion of Pandits in Kashmir as a total has increased since Partition. The Muslims have decreased.

And the proportion of Pandits in Kashmir as a total has increased since Partition. The Muslims have decreased.

Any sources to back up all of this?

How dumb do you think I am? This is a jehadi group - one of the prime examples infact of muslim terror outfit.

Is that the only lame excuse you can come up with? Have the pandits who were forced to leave the valley during the militancy returned?

I think people before me have clearly pointed out that these organizations are using jihad and in this kind of ideology clearly excludes Kashmiri pandits.

I think the argument that only some of them are extremist in nature doesnt hold true because when ever u are fighting for a cause using violence u basically are extremist.

Any sources to back that up?

Kashmiri pandits clearly have had to move out of Kashmir.

Almost all these terrorist groups believe that Kashmir is only for muslims.

Back
Top Bottom