What's new

Q/A about Bangladesh

Bangal sounds cool, whats wrong in that ?? I think in hindi and urdu bengal is pronounced as bangal.

The basic name for the region is, 'Bangalah' which was changed by the locals to Bangla. Arabians would say, 'Bangaldesh.' However, Bangal is used to donate the people of east Bengal and it means 'Peasants' who have little manners. Ghoti probabli came from the Hindi word, 'Ghatia.' It may mean low quality people.

There are female members from India, Pakistan here, but none from BD. Should I think that our females are lagged behind?

You'd see a lot of female members on Bangla blogs. Apart from weblogs, Bangladeshi internet users are not that familiar with internet forums. There is also a psychological factor. You know state and media patronized culture of Banangladesh and part of the Bangladeshi intellectuals- branded as 'enlightened', by the BD media- both are more or less prejudiced against anything about Pakistan. The rest of the folks just follow suit without a clue, sometimes for the fear of being tagged as 'not so cool', and you know women are usually born followers of their male counterparts and how intensely they hate this tag!

@ "Puthir Gan " played a vital role in keeping the Bengali muslim culture. From 15 to 18 century, it was through this "Puthir Gan" that the muslim adventures and other Islamic history were went on generation after generation. In those days this "Puthir Gan" became so popular that Hindu Pandits were afraid to lose their field on the ground of East Bengal. Soon they invented "Kobir Gan" to hold the ground.

As a kid growing up in Sylhet, we used to have "Puthir Gan" ashar in our village. It used to take place during dry winter night. I remember a little. It was comprised of mainly Arabic and Farsi words. Also known as "Musalmani Bangla". I believe "puthir Gan" has abolished from Bd due to our ignorance.

As a kid growing up in Sylhet, we used to have "Puthir Gan" ashar in our village. It used to take place during dry winter night. I remember a little. It was comprised of mainly Arabic and Farsi words. Also known as "Musalmani Bangla". I believe "puthir Gan" has abolished from Bd due to our ignorance.

Do you know what script it was and cared to look into it?

@eastwatch, our students already overwhelmed learning two foreign language English and Arabic. Why do you want to add more? Is it logical. One foreign language is hard and enough. There is no reason to learn Hindi or Urdu in our classes. We certainly need optional course of Chinese language as most Chinese cant speak English. For India and PK we can always use English, no need Urdu/Hindi.

u obviously is thinking in terms of difficulty.. which is absolutely wrong.. try talking to a person who know like 3-4 languages.. the chances are, he/she will have a highly evolved/polished and much more informed way of thinking than a person who knows only 1.

Allow me to take the liberty of answering this question.

The main difference is that of accent. Generally there are two official dialects of Bengali - Chalit and Sadhu.

Your version is pure and feminine(soft) whereas our is derived and masculine(hard and rough). :undecided:

The basic name for the region is, 'Bangalah' which was changed by the locals to Bangla. Arabians would say, 'Bangaldesh.' However, Bangal is used to donate the people of east Bengal and it means 'Peasants' who have little manners. Ghoti probabli came from the Hindi word, 'Ghatia.' It may mean low quality people.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You'd see a lot of female members on Bangla blogs. Apart from weblogs, Bangladeshi internet users are not that familiar with internet forums. There is also a psychological factor. You know state and media patronized culture of Banangladesh and part of the Bangladeshi intellectuals- branded as 'enlightened', by the BD media- both are more or less prejudiced against anything about Pakistan. The rest of the folks just follow suit without a clue, sometimes for the fear of being tagged as 'not so cool', and you know women are usually born followers of their male counterparts and how intensely they hate this tag!

bananadesh mama :rofl:

@ The "Puthir Gan" basically came from the Persian and Arabian culture. In those days Islam was spreading very fast in this region but the people here were mostly illiterate having no written language. Of course Bengali was widely used as "Kottho Basha" but not in a written form. It was only "Sanscret" which had a written form. So in order to preserve the Islamic culture, the Persian and Arabian schoolars along with the local intellectuals invented this "Puthir Gan". Had it not been any existance of "Puthir Gan" in East Bengal then there were lot of doubts regarding the speedy spread of Islam. Even the story of Hazrat Shah Jalal in Sylhet is still fresh due to this "Puthir Gan".

@ The "Puthir Gan" basically came from the Persian and Arabian culture. In those days Islam was spreading very fast in this region but the people here were mostly illiterate having no written language. Of course Bengali was widely used as "Kottho Basha" but not in a written form. It was only "Sanscret" which had a written form. So in order to preserve the Islamic culture, the Persian and Arabian schoolars along with the local intellectuals invented this "Puthir Gan". Had it not been any existance of "Puthir Gan" in East Bengal then there were lot of doubts regarding the speedy spread of Islam. Even the story of Hazrat Shah Jalal in Sylhet is still fresh due to this "Puthir Gan".

Dont BS which you have no idea about. Sanskrit does not have a script to begin with. In Bengal it used sometimes Bengali script and sometimes Devangari script. Ever heard of Charyapada?

Dont BS which you have no idea about. Sanskrit does not have a script to begin with. In Bengal it used sometimes Bengali script and sometimes Devangari script. Ever heard of Charyapada?

There was script called Brahmi Script to write Sanskrit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom