What's new

Q/A about Bangladesh

Whats the major difference between bengali spoken in in india and bangladesh

our bengali is full of farsi arabic words

1) 'chha' at the end of a word is pronounced 'sa' in nonformal spoken and Present continuous forms of verbs are spoken like that of Shadhu Bhasha.

Example: jaitese, khaitese, ki korteso instead of jacche, khacche, ki korcho.

2) In present perfect form of verbs: dise (diyeche), ashse (esheche), nise (niyeche), khaise (kheyeche)

3) kaita, haita, faita, choila instead of verb forms kete, hente, fete, chole are used (as I noted, where a verb constitutes of only two Bengali letters), like kete felbo > kaita falamu, hente esheche > haita ashse. Also, this jamu (jabo), ashmu (ashbo), dimu (debo) etc (that is first person form of verbs in future form) is another phenomenon.

4) 'Chandra bindu' is hardly pronounced in E Bengali spoken.

Also we say 'lobon' vs 'noon', 'morich' vs 'lonka', 'pani' vs 'jol'.

read about punjab partition. many muslim punjabis were slaughtered by hindu n sikhs

Movement and struggle to establish Pakistan took many years whereby the muslims of Bengal and Bihar had more contributions than the present day Pakistanis' forefathers. It was a political movement which was not limited to a few days of carnage in Punjab and Bengal during partition. It is a different subject. The movement was basically initiated in Dhaka when all the Muslim leaders from different parts of then India came there at the invitation of Nawab Salimullah and together they formed All-India Muslim League in 1905 (?).

It was supposed to safeguard the interest of Indian Muslims that changed its course to make Pakistan Movement.

How do Bangladeshis see Indian Bengalis, how much do Indian Bengali movies, literature, tv shows have, if any, effect on Bangladeshis?

Indian Bengalis are widely considered as miser and coward as well. Old movies/literature are great but new generation dont really care for WB literature I guess. India TV shows are hot specially Sasuri/Bou fight. Most of the male member in the family already quit watching tv and turned to internet due to Indian Sashu/Bohu irritation.

Miser- yes, coward- no. Many E Bengali Muslims are extravagant and showy. So they misunderstand someone being thrifty as a miser.

As for the effect of movies and literature, perhaps there doesn't exist any habitual reader who is not familiar with W bengali literature. Indian movies and TV shows are negatively affecting our culture.

Miser- yes, coward- no. Many E Bengali Muslims are extravagant and showy. So they misunderstand someone being thrifty as a miser.

Saving money is a good habit. But I don't believe West Bengalis are misers, they love to spend a lot.

Ask Pakistani whether they are willing to learn Bengali or ask any Non Bengali Indian whether they like to learn Bengali too. Urdu or Hindi are not that strong of a language like Arabic or English or Spanish to be taught in school. If we start teaching all the language that we see around then our student will have to drop all the science and math courses and learn language all day long.

We should not go by Indian or Pakistani example. We should go by European example. However, even Indians and Pakistanis also learn more than one languages. A born Punjabi in Pakistan learns Punjabi language in his house, so it is his mother tongue. He goes to school and learns Urdu and English. So, he becomes a tri-lingual.

Because of exposure to many languages in his childhood he will pick up other languages much faster than an uni-lingual child. It is same with Indians. they learn many languages and they are thought to be quite brainy. Studying science by an Indian or Pakistani student is not a burden. Rather, because of they have sharper brain, therefore, they would pick up any subject fast.

But Bangladeshis learn only Bengali and a little English. This is not enough to upgrade the brain of a child. Multi-linguals are found to be sharper than uni-linguals (is the word correct?). A multi-lingual can learn other languages subjects even during adulthood. But, an uni-lingual cannot take that pressure because his brain remains underdeveloped.

So, from this point of view I propose multi-lingualism for my country. It may take us away from that Bangalityo ostrichism.

I think they are not as important as they were 20/30 years ago anymore. But they are great poet and admired in every sect of society.

Have you become fond of Humayun Ahmed's writing??????????

Even though there were no formal grammar book of Bengali, that does not mean there were no grammar in Bengali before Fort William College. I read Alaols poetry and they were just beautiful and the hand writing, you just need to look at it. There is copy of handwritten Padmabati in Dhaka museum. You should go and see.

There are also contract which were written in earlier bengali script preserved in museum too. Even in mogul era, the contract were written in bengali not Farsi or any other language. I seen a contract of Slave trade in Bengali in Museum. ;)

Look, this is not a place to discuss all the details how and when Bengali developed as a WRITTEN language. I repeat, there were many beautiful poetries by Alaol, Daulat Kazi, Shah Muhammad Sagir, nabin Chandra Ghosh and many hundred others. But, one point is crystal clear that not a single line of prose was ever written by anybody before 1805 grammar was compiled.

If there was no Bengali language at all, how do you expect it to be the Court language of the country. The muslim rule started not with the Budhist (there was really almost no Budhists in Bengal during Muslim advent because of Sen Policy) converts, but with the advent of many lakhs of central asian settlers who had brought Persian culture, language and literature to Bengal with them.

So, the Court language was Persian and before that it was Sanskrit. I am talking about Court language and not about the language of the population.

' dada addek ta dilam puro ta khete hobe kintu' - bro, here is a half piece, you have to eat it all - is a common joke we make about west bengal and i think its very old joke!

Yeah its called a stereotype. Only illiterate people actually believe these things.

Yeah its called a stereotype. Only illiterate people actually believe these things.

thats debatable. It may reflect reality or maybe not. like most indians here believe pakistanis love conspiracy theories. that doesn't make all of you illiterate!! Doesn't make sense!

I also have never heard anyone saying Dada kheye esechen na giye khaben. Granted all my relatives are classy people.

Well we also have stereotypes about Ghoti and Bangals.

Back
Top Bottom