What's new

Q & A about Bangladesh defence and security

i guess - For myanmar bangladesh will fight conventional warfare normally using their navy, BAF interceptors, army face to face. . And for india - Guerilla warfare And ambush..... G0C of east pakistan Yahya in 1963 planned this first... He ordered major a o Mitha to build guerilla brigade.. But later this plan was cancelled when Yahya was transferred to West pakistan and Fazal muqim khan replaced him. I don't know about present condition. But i think bangladesh train her soldiers for guerilla warfare...

Yap, our army is trained heavily in guerilla warfare.

For Myanmar, lets be realistic...they outweigh us in quantity but in quality, we are definitely better. It will be an equal war and depending on tactics/strategies the result will be decided.

Cheers!!!

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Well here is little battle history of Type 69 - According to battle reports from the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Type 69-QMs were used by the Iraqi Army units defending Nasiriyah in March 2003, most of them being employed as artillery pillboxes. They were key players in the ambushes which decimated the US Army 507th Maintenance Company and Charlie Company of the 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines, before AH-1 Cobra helicopters wiped out the Iraqi tanks. Two Type 69s destroyed at least four vehicles of the 507th, among them a heavy truck rammed by one of the tanks. There is also a first hand account of about four Type-69s hidden behind some buildings, pounding the Marines' Charlie Company with indirect fire and likely disabling several AAVs Some combat useless Type 59/69s were emplaced as decoys or mere obstacles.

That is some interesting info. you posted. Did not know that the T-69 were quite capable.

Cheers!!!

It is still questionable - 120 mm main gun for a type 69 is appropriate or not... This kind of modification is only seen in Pakistan and Bangladesh now .Don't know about their combat ability... Iraq 1st tried to do so but failed.. The recoil of the gun damaged tank.. The recoil of the gun damaged tank.

The 120 mm smoothbore cannon is very good. It is used on some of best Western tanks such as the M1 and Leo 2. Those cannons are generally more accurate than 125 mm ones.

Well here is little battle history of Type 69 - According to battle reports from the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Type 69-QMs were used by the Iraqi Army units defending Nasiriyah in March 2003, most of them being employed as artillery pillboxes. They were key players in the ambushes which decimated the US Army 507th Maintenance Company and Charlie Company of the 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines, before AH-1 Cobra helicopters wiped out the Iraqi tanks. Two Type 69s destroyed at least four vehicles of the 507th, among them a heavy truck rammed by one of the tanks. There is also a first hand account of about four Type-69s hidden behind some buildings, pounding the Marines' Charlie Company with indirect fire and likely disabling several AAVs Some combat useless Type 59/69s were emplaced as decoys or mere obstacles.

Ah, the third class ones operated by the Iraqis. It is likely that they used a 100 mm gun with poor ammunition and no ATGM capability, coupled with lack of 3rd generation features. Same story with their T-72s. Hell, even the Kuwaitis slaughtered Iraqi tanks :rofl:

Here's how the Kuwaitis did it:
Prior to the Gulf War, Kuwait ordered 170 M-84ABs, 15 M-84ABI ARVs and 15 command M-84ABK tanks, from Yugoslavia. Four M-84A tanks were delivered, however the Iraqi Army soon captured them, during the occupation. Further deliveries were stopped for the duration of the war. The Kuwaiti 35th Al-Shaheed Armoured Brigade was equipped with 70 M-84s. During the Battle of the Bridges, the 35th brigade did not directly take part in battles with Iraqi tanks because of the M-84s resemblance to Iraqi T-72s. The M-84 was however very effective against T-62s and T-55s.

Here's the Kuwaiti bad boy:
M84-Kuwait.jpg

Even though it is very similar to the T-72, it is a very good tank nonetheless.

I believe our Type-69 variant is capable against the T-72s used by neighboring countries. It is the front line tank of both India and Myanmar. But against the T-90 and Arjun? Not too sure.

Our Type-59Gs might look something like this:
00622108.jpg

This pic is the Iranian T-72 Safir (not to be confused with the Russian T-72). These are in fact Type-59s and T-55s with major upgrades. I'd imagine ours would look something like that.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Yap, our army is trained heavily in guerilla warfare.

For Myanmar, lets be realistic...they outweigh us in quantity but in quality, we are definitely better. It will be an equal war and depending on tactics/strategies the result will be decided.

Against Myanmar, we really need to upgrade our air force and navy.

nope. I never seen any 59 with era. Maybe because last time when we saw tanks during mutiny army was upgrading them, upgradation was not complete that time..... Type 59 and type 69 are still going under upgradation i guess. Their number is too many. We wil have to wait till 26th march to watch them again..

Lets think the scenario Arjun VS type 69?? A 60 tonnes tank Vs 40 tonnes tank on a muddy paddle field of Bangladesh!! There is a reason why Bangladesh ordered MBT2000. It is lighter .

Arjun Vs. T-69? Doesnt Arjun possess the upper hand?

However, our terrain would always work in our favor...that is why we buy tanks after lot of testing and checking. But northern Bangladesh is suitable for head-to-head tank battle.

Cheers!!!

Against Myanmar, we really need to upgrade our air force and navy.

Well our navy is already better then theirs. This one is a bit old but check it :-

http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...st-myanmar-navy-cant-compete-bangladeshs.html

In Air Force, by now they have more Migs then us and a lot more trainers (they ordered 20 Migs and 50 K-8s) that can be used for light attack purpose. AFAIK they also have a better air defence system than us. It would be a tough call to win in the air.

Cheers!!!

@eastbengal: Dude...Why do India and Burma will be aggressive towards BD? Each of these South Asian countries like India,Pak,BD(Including India too..) are such countires in case any other country become aggressive it will get bankrupt in feeding billions of population....So in this context...Why should India will attack BD? But of course ...it makes sense to build up each nations defence capability...but that should not be judged with a context that India and Burma will fight war with BD..

why do u consider pakistan and china as a threat to india ...!

one of the obvious reason is common border and attitude of neighbors.

attitude of india was never friendly to its neighbors.

Incase of aggression from India how can BD defend itself? They may fight for honour to delay but by ant means they cannot stop India. No offence.

Incase of aggression from India how can BD defend itself? They may fight for honour to delay but by ant means they cannot stop India. No offence.

In case of a total war Bangladesh will lose to india for now. However if its a short war like the kargil war, which lasted for 2 months, BD will be able to fend off india before diplomacy kicks in to solve the problem.

In case of a total war Bangladesh will lose to india for now. However if its a short war like the kargil war, which lasted for 2 months, BD will be able to fend off india before diplomacy kicks in to solve the problem.

Are u sure that BD can maintain control over its borders tightly for 2 Months. Anything more than 15days is very unlikely.

Well , Banglar manush answered you already. So far i know BD will depend on international friends such as USA to stop the war. If india is the aggressor then they will come to help us must.... Bangladesh has the ability to hold indian army in war for more than 20 days according to BD army professionals.. Thats enough time for diplomacy. If it doesnt work the army will break into guerilla forces allowing them to penetrate in the country... Believe me, that will be no good for indians... It is a country where heavy armoured vehicles cant move easily making it vulnerable..... I see no good result for both side in a war.. .

Lets think the scenario Arjun VS type 69?? A 60 tonnes tank Vs 40 tonnes tank on a muddy paddle field of Bangladesh!! There is a reason why Bangladesh ordered MBT2000. It is lighter .

[/QUOTE]

The Arjun and T-90 are more advanced nonetheless. I would intend to go for tanks with composite armor and active protection systems.

Well our navy is already better then theirs. This one is a bit old but check it :-

http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...st-myanmar-navy-cant-compete-bangladeshs.html

In Air Force, by now they have more Migs then us and a lot more trainers (they ordered 20 Migs and 50 K-8s) that can be used for light attack purpose. AFAIK they also have a better air defence system than us. It would be a tough call to win in the air.

Cheers!!!

Capability wise, they are about the same if you ask me.

With the current plans underway, I am sure we'd certainly have an advantage over Burma. I'd say, our navy is the most important component of our military.

Air force? Needs work. In fact, I'd focus more on a naval air force. That'd scare the hell out of anyone :lol:

I'd say SU-30MKKs would be good for naval aviation, given that we can take care of them without any problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su-30MKK

India does not need to invade or "occupy" BD like the U.S did with Iraq . Agressive action by India would be Air-Strikes , surgical strikes by special forces etc. The Cost of a prolonged occupation is remarkably high in this day and age and would take a heavy toll on the economy of any country-even the U.S. Any adventure would lead to a degradation of the aggressors economy vis-a-vis its regional competitors ( in this case China and Pakistan).

Fat chance of such a conflict arising in the first place though ;) India and BD are too diplomatically interconnected and all misunderstandings are likely to be resolved much much before they become serious headaches , needing an armed response.

well can anyone compare between Arjun and 69 mk 2 G (not 69) here? just want to see difference. .

Back
Top Bottom