What's new

Putin Looks to Asia as West threatens to isolate Russia

West can isolate Russia as much as they can.. but they can't take away Russia's veto right at UN!:P

I wasn't so much commenting on the article but rather looking at China Russia relationship from a historical perspective.
Sometimes to break free of a situation you have to do some radical realignment, Richard Nixon's opening up of China is a perfect example of that.
That re-alignment isolated SU and made it easier for the US to first bleed it in Afghanistan with the help of Chinese and then break it altogether.

I don't think any traditionalist mindset is at play here. If you take out the annexation of Crimea, one can see some resemblance with sanctions hit Iran. With Iran, China and India were able to swoop down and secure some lucrative deals in the face of western sanctions. This not only provided Iran with viable alternatives, it also took the pressure of its back. Of course, Russia is a whole new ballgame but the basics in question are still the same.

Secondly, Russian financial oligarchs wouldn't be too happy to see their international portfolios and movement of capital get hurt due to sanctions. They are going to put the squeeze on Moscow for solutions to set things right.

Thirdly, the West wouldn't be too happy either to see Russian money go elsewhere. Of course, this is the only grey area of the equation where much depends on what future course Putin plots.

West can isolate Russia as much as they can.. but they can't take away Russia's veto right at UN!:P

I don't see the connection between sanctions and veto power.

I don't see the connection between sanctions and veto power.

The connection is that Russia can veto UN sanctions so states would have to pass individual unilateral sanctions on their own. Other countries like say Iran have faced UN sanctions because they could not veto them.

The connection is that Russia can veto UN sanctions so states would have to pass individual unilateral sanctions on their own. Other countries like say Iran have faced UN sanctions because they could not veto them.

Western sanctions aren't routed through the UN.

Not all but many.
United Nations Security Council Sanctions Committees
Anyway Russia will not have to worry since they can veto any attempt, that is why US needs to get EU on board to create any meaningful sanctions package but some European countries are dependent on Russian oil.

Which is why it is known as unilateral sanctions. The chief contention of the Indian argument is that they aren't routed through the UN. The same holds true with the case of Iran.

New Delhi: India has decided not to go with western block on sanctions against Russia over the Crimea issue, say sources. India has stated its position to not support unilateral sanctions by any country unless authorised by the UN. Sources say India is taking a balanced view of the situation as of now.

India won't back western sanctions against Russia over Crimea: sources

Last edited:
I dont see that happening any time soon, the USA has turned its back on us enough times, its time we look for alternative allies.....

Better we stay out of this bro. But the majority of Pakistanis do back Russia in its stance. But I feel the two countries will never be that close, especially since we dived head first into the Afghan/Soviet war, which has done us untold damage. I wish we never got involved. No terrorism, no conflict, balanced foreign policy, economic growth and so on.

It's not so simple.

China has strong economic bonds with the West and needs to be mindful of any repercussions if it is seen as grossly undermining Western sanctions.

The West is a parasite to China sucking her blood and taking advantage of the generosity and forgiving nature of the typical Chinese person. They contribute almost nothing to China.

The West is a parasite to China sucking her blood and taking advantage of the generosity and forgiving nature of the typical Chinese person. They contribute almost nothing to China.

That makes no sense. The West has built up China. If it were not for the west, you would be a 5th world country today instead of 3rd world.

That makes no sense. The West has built up China. If it were not for the west, you would be a 5th world country today instead of 3rd world.

Wrong. Without China you'd be living in the Stone Age. The West contributed absolutely nothing to China - don't make me laugh. Any "technology" the West transferred to China, China bought.

As for third world, that describes the shithole we call Brazil:

http://images.smh.com.au/file/2013/10/09/4815797/cs_global_wealth_report_2013_WEB_low%20pdf.pdf?rand=1381288140715

All those natural resources and China destroys you in per capita net worth. And that's not even counting PPP adjustments, which would put China at 50,000. Not to mention Taiwan is worth 2x your entire shithole of a nation.

P.S, you're not white.

Last edited:
Wrong. Without China you'd be living in the Stone Age. The West contributed absolutely nothing to China - don't make me laugh. Any "technology" the West transferred to China, China bought.

As for third world, that describes the shithole we call Brazil:

http://images.smh.com.au/file/2013/10/09/4815797/cs_global_wealth_report_2013_WEB_low%20pdf.pdf?rand=1381288140715

All those natural resources and China destroys you in per capita net worth. And that's not even counting PPP adjustments, which would put China at 50,000. Not to mention Taiwan is worth 2x your entire shithole of a nation.

P.S, you're not white.

This isn't even worth dignifying a response. You showed your racism by calling Brazil a shithole. Everyone agrees that China's rise was facilitated by the the entire world and especially the west that invested so much in your country and bought your products and protected you from the Japanese in WW2. The West helped East Asia rise to its feet after WW2. All of these are objective facts. Your hatred towards the west is entirely misplaced and a product of your brainwashing. Brazilians are happy where we are. We have higher quality of life than Chinese and higher per capita income than PRC too. Freedom is important for us unlike you. And it doesn't matter if I'm white or not.

Last edited:
Says the jealous rat who envies and hates East Asia. Nope, if the West "helped" China, then China pulled the West out of the Stone Age with gunpowder, shipping, agriculture and navigation tech, blast furnaces, innoculation, and a billion other things I could care less to mention.

Not only that but 80-90% of investment into China during the critical first few decades came from other Chinese, and a majority of the remainder from Japan. Even now 2/3rds of investment into China comes from other Chinese, and a remaining 15-20% from Korea and Japan.

And freedom? Your "free" country can't even provide 90% of your citizens with decent infrastructure and housing. No wonder its teeming with crime from desperate people.

And Taiwan is more free than you ever will be - still has over 10-15x your wealth per capita. And Taiwan's billionaires are some of the least rich in the world. It's more for everyone, unlike your beloved free country.

Last edited:
Russian financial oligarchs wouldn't be too happy to see their international portfolios and movement of capital get hurt due to sanctions. They are going to put the squeeze on Moscow for solutions to set things right.

What will Russian oligarchs do? Pressure Putin to give back Crimea?

If so, these oligarchs would be lucky to get out of Russia without being skinned alive by the public.

Says the jealous rat who envies and hates East Asia. Nope, if the West "helped" China, then China pulled the West out of the Stone Age with gunpowder, shipping, agriculture and navigation tech, blast furnaces, innoculation, and a billion other things I could care less to mention.

Not only that but 80-90% of investment into China during the critical first few decades came from other Chinese, and a majority of the remainder from Japan. Even now 2/3rds of investment into China comes from other Chinese, and a remaining 15-20% from Korea and Japan.

And freedom? Your "free" country can't even provide 90% of your citizens with decent infrastructure and housing. No wonder its teeming with crime from desperate people.

And Taiwan is more free than you ever will be - still has over 10-15x your wealth per capita. And Taiwan's billionaires are some of the least rich in the world. It's more for everyone, unlike your beloved free country.

You obviously need to tame your filthy tongue. A chinese person has no business being racist to anyone. THe CHinese invented gunpowder but had no idea how to use it. It's the West that showed you how to use it.
Who the hell told you that 90 % of Brazilians don't have decent housing and infrastructure? :cuckoo: Brazilians live in much better conditions than the mainland Chinese (1.3 billion people). Really, Taiwan has 10-15 x Brazil's per capita income? That would make it by far the richest country in the world. You couldn't get any more delusional.

Back
Top Bottom