What's new

Putin dares Turkey to test Russia’s air defences in Syria

Sure.

2012 Turkish F-4 Phantom shootdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's just the first one I found.

Russia was always looking for justification to put their newest air defense systems in Syria, looks like they've found it.

did you even read what you posted?

The reconnaissance aircraft of type RF-4E belonged to the 173rd Wing at the 7th Main Jet Base Group Command stationed at the Erhaç Air Base in Malatya.[3]

The aircraft, piloted by Flight lieutenant Gökhan Ertan and Flying officer Hasan Hüseyin Aksoy,[4] took off on 22 June 2012 with the task to help test the Turkish radar system. According to radar records, the aircraft was flying between Cyprus and Hatay over theMediterranean Sea at about FL210, an altitude of 21,000 feet, at 11:06 hours local time (08:06 UTC). For radar test purposes, it descended as it approached Hatay. At 11:14 hours, the RF-4E was at FL086, and nine minutes later it had descended to FL075 just over Hatay. At 11:23 hours, the aircraft changed its course, heading now for Mediterranean Sea and continued to descend. At 11:37, it had reached FL020 and was descending further for radar test purposes. The aircraft arrived at 11:42 on the boundary of Syrian sovereign airspace, 12 nmi (22 km) out from the coastline, flying at 200 ft.[5]

At this point, the aircraft violated Syrian airspace, and flew around for five minutes within its airspace. A Turkish radar base controlling the flight warned the RF-4E to change its course immediately and leave that airspace. At 11:47, it left Syrian airspace and took a northerly course in the direction of Hatay, ascending to FL030. During the airspace violation and afterwards, the aircraft received no warning or admonishment from Syrian military authorities. The pilots changed their course once again into the Mediterranean Sea to proceed with their mission of radar testing. At 11:50, the pilots asked the Turkish radar base for assistance on route information, so that they would not violate Syrian airspace again. The aircraft was flying in international airspace and visible on radar screens until 12:02.

The Syrian side never informed Turkish plane of violation and the aircraft left immediately once the ground control discovered the problem, but the aircraft was still shot down over international airspace.
After this event Turkey changed its tactics in dealing with Syrian violations while still giving the proper warnings.

Unlike you,we dont have bosses(getting old,find something new) cause if we had,we would never have downed that Russian bomber,our president may be a nutcase but he has balls,he showed not to mess with Turkiye(you will learn in time,dont worry).
Russia can only destroy ex-soviet union countries,would never dare to attack a NATO country,so dont dream so much.
We were always on our own and did it on our own,i guess you didnt know that.
When did Russia fight against a nuclear power,never?
So,my question would be,is that all you can do,just talk big about others?
Dont worry,you can babble all you want about the might of other countries,not taking you serious.
You just dont count on the stage of geopolitics.

Nobody in their right minds thinks that Turkey stands even 1% chance against Russia.

Literally the only thing that Turkey can do is hide behind America. But as history has shown 100% of the time, America always refuses to fight directly against major nuclear powers, they abandon their pawns every time. Like Georgia learned in 2008, the Philippines learned in 2012, and the Ukraine learned in 2014.

They spent the entire Cold War avoiding a direct fight with Russia, you think they'll suddenly want to do it now for the sake of some Middle Eastern Muslims who they don't even like?

When did Russia fight against a nuclear power,never?

And BTW Russia did fight directly against a nuclear power, they fought against China in the 1969 Sino-Russian border conflicts, when we both had nuclear weapons.

Whereas it is America's policy to NEVER fight directly against a major nuclear power.

Even North Korea's 20kt fission bombs (not even thermonuclear) were enough to ensure that America abandoned South Korea when North Korea sunk their warship and killed hundreds of SK sailors in 2010. America makes it a regular habit of breaking their mutual defense treaties, they did it with the Philippines too in 2012.

Nobody in the world actually believes that America is going to fight a nuclear war for countries they don't even like, when they are willing to even abandon their allies who they DO like (South Korea, Philippines, Israel during the Iran deal, etc).

Last edited:
Come-on Sir, dont get down to cheap levels of Turkey.
You are a super power and dont fight with kids.

Turkiye actually is a force to be reckoned with - if you look at their history which is one of pride and winning against all odds. I do think that the ties should be mended given opposite - diametrically opposed objectives in Syria i dont see it happening soon

Turkiye and Russia need to ensure ISIS doesn't grow and Iran and Turkiye need to ensure the Kurdish rebel groups are sorted out. Its a very complex scenario, one of the most complex ive ever seen during my years alive

Turkey and Russian conflicts are getting worse. I don't know why, but this conflict indicates me that the world is getting closer to ww3.

For your info Russia is still bombing your Turkmen close to your border where they have been bombing earlier . why cant you dare shoot them again ? you guys know that the S-400 will put a missile right inside your turkey @ss if you press the trigger from you F-16

Will you guys ever get rid of your slavery roots to USA?

@WebMaster undesirable element detected please do the needful

I still dont see any single country taking on Russia. Be It USA or any other.
Probably a coliation can only take them on.

Even USA grounded all its manned mission in Syria, let alone Turkey entering Syria. Any aircraft coming without Russian nod are constantly being radar locked. If you are a pilot you know how it feels when you been locked. :)

Even USA grounded all its manned mission in Syria, let alone Turkey entering Syria. Any aircraft coming without Russian nod are constantly being radar locked. If you are a pilot you know how it feels when you been locked. :)

Just the Northern ones near the Turkish border.

Report: U.S. Grounds Flights Over Northern Syria in Response to Russian Air Defenses
US Grounds Flights | Syria | Russian Air Defenses

Back
Top Bottom