What's new

Punjab: Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy

The disgusting mulla brigade at it again..

Protesters oppose pardon for Aasia Bibi

LAHORE, Pakistan: Around 250 people staged a demonstration in the central Pakistani city of Lahore on Wednesday, warning the president not to pardon a Christian woman sentenced to death for insulting Islam.

They also denounced any attempt to change Pakistan’s blasphemy law, which critics say is often misused to persecute Christians like Aasia Bibi and other minorities. Her case has prompted outrage from human rights groups and a personal appeal from Pope Benedict XVI for her release.

But Islamic groups in Pakistan have pushed back and some have even threatened officials in the past who suggested reforming or repealing the blasphemy law. These groups have significant power since politicians from the major parties rely on them for votes.

asia-bibi-lahore-protest-500.jpg

”We are ready to sacrifice our life for the Prophet Muhammad,” chanted protesters in Lahore _ many of whom were students from Islamic seminaries in the city.

The rally was organized by the Movement for Protection of the Prophet’s Honor, a group of Sunni Muslims that was formed in 2001 to oppose changes in the blasphemy law.

Bibi, a 45-year-old mother of five, has said she was falsely accused by a group of Muslim women angry at a dispute over whether they could share the same water bowl. She has been jailed in the eastern province of Punjab since her initial arrest 1 1/2 years ago.

A court sentenced her Nov. 8 to hang after convicting her of insulting the Prophet.

It is the first time a woman has been condemned to death under Pakistan’s blasphemy law, often criticized as being abused to inflame extremism and settle personal grudges.

Her lawyer has filed an appeal with a higher court in Lahore, but she could also be pardoned by the president.

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has asked for a review of the facts of the case, raising the possibility of a presidential pardon.

One of the strongest defenders of Bibi has been Salman Taseer, the governor of Punjab province, where Lahore is the capital. Wednesday’s protest took place in front of the governor’s office and the demonstrators railed against him and others calling for Bibi’s release.

”We are here to tell them that we will not let it happen,” said Masoodur Rehman, one of the leaders of the group that organized the rally. ”Only the court should decide her fate.”

Minister for Minority Affairs Shahbaz Bhatti, who is preparing the report for Zardari on the case, said Wednesday that he would deliver his recommendations on Thursday. Bhatti has said he is convinced Bibi is innocent.

Pakistan’s Christians, who make up less than five per cent of the Muslim-majority country’s 175 million people, are frequently the targets of accusers invoking the blasphemy law.

Bhatti says ”dozens” of people _ both Muslims and minorities _ are sentenced to death under the law each year, although higher courts in each case have prevented any executions.

Those accused of blasphemy also are often targeted with violence.

In July, two Christian brothers accused of blasphemy were gunned down as they left court hearing in Punjab’s eastern city of Faislabad.

Last year, a 19-year-old Christian accused of desecrating a Quran, Islam’s holy book, was found dead in his jail cell in Sialkot, another town in Punjab. Officials said at the time that he had hanged himself, but Christian groups said he was murdered.

Bhatti has long campaigned against the blasphemy law, which was introduced by President Gen. Zia ul-Haq’s military regime in the 1980s to win the support of religious groups. Islamic groups threatened to behead Bhatti six months ago when he proposed changes to the law.

Bhatti said the government is considering calling a meeting of Islamic leaders, politicians, human rights organizations and representatives of minority groups to determine whether the law should be repealed or changed. He said he is dedicated to the effort despite danger to himself.

”I am not afraid of these threats,” said Bhatti. ”I am ready to sacrifice everything for the justice that I believe in.”

The disgusting mulla brigade at it again..

Protesters oppose pardon for Aasia Bibi

LAHORE, Pakistan: Around 250 people staged a demonstration in the central Pakistani city of Lahore on Wednesday, warning the president not to pardon a Christian woman sentenced to death for insulting Islam.

They also denounced any attempt to change Pakistan’s blasphemy law, which critics say is often misused to persecute Christians like Aasia Bibi and other minorities. Her case has prompted outrage from human rights groups and a personal appeal from Pope Benedict XVI for her release.

But Islamic groups in Pakistan have pushed back and some have even threatened officials in the past who suggested reforming or repealing the blasphemy law. These groups have significant power since politicians from the major parties rely on them for votes.

asia-bibi-lahore-protest-500.jpg

”We are ready to sacrifice our life for the Prophet Muhammad,” chanted protesters in Lahore _ many of whom were students from Islamic seminaries in the city.

The rally was organized by the Movement for Protection of the Prophet’s Honor, a group of Sunni Muslims that was formed in 2001 to oppose changes in the blasphemy law.

Bibi, a 45-year-old mother of five, has said she was falsely accused by a group of Muslim women angry at a dispute over whether they could share the same water bowl. She has been jailed in the eastern province of Punjab since her initial arrest 1 1/2 years ago.

A court sentenced her Nov. 8 to hang after convicting her of insulting the Prophet.

It is the first time a woman has been condemned to death under Pakistan’s blasphemy law, often criticized as being abused to inflame extremism and settle personal grudges.

Her lawyer has filed an appeal with a higher court in Lahore, but she could also be pardoned by the president.

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has asked for a review of the facts of the case, raising the possibility of a presidential pardon.

One of the strongest defenders of Bibi has been Salman Taseer, the governor of Punjab province, where Lahore is the capital. Wednesday’s protest took place in front of the governor’s office and the demonstrators railed against him and others calling for Bibi’s release.

”We are here to tell them that we will not let it happen,” said Masoodur Rehman, one of the leaders of the group that organized the rally. ”Only the court should decide her fate.”

Minister for Minority Affairs Shahbaz Bhatti, who is preparing the report for Zardari on the case, said Wednesday that he would deliver his recommendations on Thursday. Bhatti has said he is convinced Bibi is innocent.

Pakistan’s Christians, who make up less than five per cent of the Muslim-majority country’s 175 million people, are frequently the targets of accusers invoking the blasphemy law.

Bhatti says ”dozens” of people _ both Muslims and minorities _ are sentenced to death under the law each year, although higher courts in each case have prevented any executions.

Those accused of blasphemy also are often targeted with violence.

In July, two Christian brothers accused of blasphemy were gunned down as they left court hearing in Punjab’s eastern city of Faislabad.

Last year, a 19-year-old Christian accused of desecrating a Quran, Islam’s holy book, was found dead in his jail cell in Sialkot, another town in Punjab. Officials said at the time that he had hanged himself, but Christian groups said he was murdered.

Bhatti has long campaigned against the blasphemy law, which was introduced by President Gen. Zia ul-Haq’s military regime in the 1980s to win the support of religious groups. Islamic groups threatened to behead Bhatti six months ago when he proposed changes to the law.

Bhatti said the government is considering calling a meeting of Islamic leaders, politicians, human rights organizations and representatives of minority groups to determine whether the law should be repealed or changed. He said he is dedicated to the effort despite danger to himself.

”I am not afraid of these threats,” said Bhatti. ”I am ready to sacrifice everything for the justice that I believe in.”
250 muslims were prosecuted , and 150 cristians were prosecuted against this law since now. It is not a discriminatory law against any particular religion. Nobody is punished as yet under this law. The implementing procedure of this law should be improved. It is being misused , it is a big problem. Moreover i have seen that woman on T.V denying on the charges and paying respectful tributes for our dearest Prophet MUHAMMAD(PBUH). I think she will definately be acquited in the high court .

250 muslims were prosecuted , and 150 cristians were prosecuted against this law since now. It is not a discriminatory law against any particular religion. Nobody is punished as yet under this law. The implementing procedure of this law should be improved. It is being misused , it is a big problem. Moreover i have seen that woman on T.V denying on the charges and paying respectful tributes for our dearest Prophet MUHAMMAD(PBUH). I think she will definately be acquited in the high court .

You put a Dagger around my throat and you bet i'll even pay respect to Joseph Stalin.. fact is you can't force people and coerce someone with physical violence to gain someones respect..

These mullahs should put aside religious differences and think about Pakistan as a whole. The white bar on the Pakistani flag represents the minorities for a reason.

Sometimes as a Christian I feel unwanted in Pakistan and before Zia there were many patriotic Pakistani christians and many of them were in the Army but now some of the minority religions don't even think of them as Pakistanis.

Undo what Zia has done. And make a better Pakistan.

Very sad.. its the way people are brought up. They teach the followers to love their religion more than human beings. Only way to bring change is to make sure our kids grow as moderates. Else such intollerance with such other wise stupid religious issues will continue.

The one person who can save Aasia Bibi

Dr Zakir Naik is an extremely popular TV evangelist, much like the late Ahmed Deedat. Their specialty (other than Islamic sermons) has been comparative religion debates with experts and religious leaders of other faiths. But Dr Zakir Naik shares with Aasia Bibi more than he probably, or she herself, even realises. Aasia Bibi, a low-income Pakistani Christian, is the woman who has been sentenced to death for blasphemy recently.
That’s not to suggest that Dr Zakir has ever blasphemed against the Holy Prophet (pbuh). He hasn’t. But part of his bread and butter is championing other religions as false, as his opponents do to his religion.
When two ardent supporters of different creeds engage in religious debate, primarily for the purpose of proving the other one wrong, things get testy and become laden with emotion. This is partly demonstrated by the difficulty of framing hate speech laws so that they do not incite religious hatred while trying to find ways to create caveats for religious debates because, by their very nature, they rely on outright denunciation as each believes there is only one road to salvation. While not perfect, at least a secular social scientist interested in comparative religion has a more detached view, interested in the details of comparison and not the pursuit of divine validity.
So here is where Aasia Bibi comes in. Women in her village were trying to get her to convert to Islam for some time. She held out and chose not to debate it but would only say she wouldn’t because she was comfortable with her faith. Then, the details of which are still sketchy, the unequal and discriminatory facets of Pakistani society came into play. As a Christian and, I presume, because of some of her racial characteristics she was considered less equal by the Muslims of her village.
She was unduly asked to fetch water for the Muslim women and when she did they complained it was unclean because of her touch. After subjecting her to the force of their nauseating moral majority, they ignorantly added insult and indignity to the equation. Then they asked her to convert again. If only someone had taught these women that such charming behaviour rarely causes anyone to convert from one religion to another.
Finally, Aasia Bibi defended herself and her religious choice, probably with lots of pent up anger at her inhuman treatment. The crux of the case lies here, the other women may have thought that Aasia Bibi’s laudatory words for Jesus may have meant she didn’t think in the same way for Islam. Which, of course, she doesn’t, because she is not a Muslim.
Now look at this implication of the blasphemy law in Pakistan. Keep this in mind, Christians think Jesus as the greatest man while Muslims feel the same for Mohammed (pbuh). Now ask a Christian, “In light of your knowledge of Mohammed (pbuh), who is the best man who ever lived?”
If the Christian’s answer is in line with his religious dogma, he can be put to death. It’s 295-C taken to the legal extremities of its philosophy. The law is not just about outright, inflammatory or hateful blasphemy but even inferences from normal discussions between non-Muslims and Muslims. All you need is someone to litigate.
That’s why Dr Zakir Naik, whom Pakistanis watch with great relish on cable from international channels, can never have a comparative religion debate in Pakistan. Whoever he goes up against can be prosecuted for proselytising against Islam or thinking less of the Prophet (pbuh) because they have stated why they believe in something else. Aasia Bibi, on the other hand, was indirectly forced into that position. Maybe Zakir Naik needs to be the one defending Aasia Bibi, since, ironically, his bluster is based on the religious freedom he has in India.

In Aasia’s case, there are a lot of mitigating circumstances, the judge who passed her sentence had an angry mob outside his courts and she was mentally tortured into finally speaking up for herself. Otherwise, I am sure she also knew that the only good Christian in Pakistan is a mute one, weak and meek.

These mullahs should put aside religious differences and think about Pakistan as a whole. The white bar on the Pakistani flag represents the minorities for a reason.

Sometimes as a Christian I feel unwanted in Pakistan and before Zia there were many patriotic Pakistani christians and many of them were in the Army but now some of the minority religions don't even think of them as Pakistanis.

Your sincerity rocks man:tup::tup:

I believe you are more Pakistani than these bigots who make and implement stupid laws.

@Aashiq,
Don't lose your heart, friend. There are plenty of us who are disgusted by not just what's happening to Ms. Asiya but by also the Blasphemy Law itself. Here are couple of quick links:
The Dawn Blog Blog Archive Intolerance of the other
http://pakistaniat.com/2010/11/18/asiya-bibi-blasphemy-law/

You can see that most of these Comments are by Pakistani bloggers--just like in this particular Topic here and you can see we are disgusted by what's happening. It can NEVER be allowed to happen in my name!

The Blasphemy Law is not only used against the minorities in Pakistan but also against anyone. I hail from a mainstream Sunni Muslim family in Karachi. In the Pakistaniat.com link, I have posted my own family's experience with the Blasphemy Law. It was real, dreadful and personal. It is there on page 6 of the Comments.
I am going to copy/paste here.
----------------------------------------------
Not only is the Blasphemy Law of Pakistan intellectually wrong–as if Creator of the whole Universe needs protection from we human beings–but the Law is also a convenient tool to settle purely worldly disputes. Yes, probably the minorities in Pakistan are mainly targeted but even the ‘mainstream’ Sunni Muslims can be targeted easily. Of that, here is a personal account:
My family in Karachi is in a business partnership with some cousins. Between the partners there is a dispute over business assets. There are pending cases in civil courts about competing claims. Once my brother had a heated exchange with a cousin-partner in one of the business-offices. It almost came to the blows and my brother ended up throwing down some papers from the partner’s table to the floor. Papers were mostly newspapers and business documents. But, within them, there was a piece or two with Quranic writing. The partner sensed a chance and registered a Blasphemy Case. The Case was delegated to some special investigations and special court proceedings with limited legal rights for my brother.
Long story short: It cost hundreds of thousands of Rupees, 1.5 year of hassle, bribing judges and police by both sides, pulling political muscle by both sides. All that so that my brother could not be put to fast-track to the possible hanging! Eventually, during my last visit to Pakistan in November 2009 I arranged a meeting and both sides settled the dispute. But in the preceeding 1.5 years plenty of hair turned grey, plenty of heart-aches...
Again, my family is a mainstream Sunni Muslim family in Pakistan. Urbane and educated. Observe the rituals of Islam like most Karachi-ites do. Yet the Blasphemy Law’s blindness is obvious to me. One of the senior cops investigating the Case told my brother that the Law is so bad that if the cousin were to gather outside our house and yell that there is a person committed Blasphemy inside the house it could easily gather 200-strong lynch mob!!!
Repeal the dang Law now!

nyp-logo-230x32.png

Sentenced to death for a sip of water
As her religion faces persecution across the Middle East, a Christian woman explains why she faces hanging in Pakistan for the crime of ‘blasphemy’

By ASIA BIBI

Last Updated: 1:33 AM, August 25, 2013
Posted: 11:34 PM, August 24, 2013

To her neighbors, Aasiya Noreen “Asia” Bibi, a poor mother of five in the tiny village of Ittan Wali in central Pakistan, was guilty — guilty of being Christian in a nation that is 97% Muslim. For four years she has languished in a prison cell for this, facing death by hanging. Her new memoir, “Blasphemy,” was dictated to her husband from jail, who relayed it to French journalist Anne-Isabelle Tollet. Fifty percent of the proceeds the book will go to support Bibi and her family. Tollet says the situation is dire. Embarrassed by Bibi’s case but still refusing to release her because of angry protests by extremists, the Pakistan government has transferred her to a more remote prison, hoping the 42-year-old dies quietly behind bars, perhaps poisoned by another inmate. Already two government officials who have spoken out on her behalf have been murdered, including Minister for Minorities Shahbaz Bhatti, who was killed by the Taliban. In this excerpt, Bibi explains the simple “transgression” that led to her plight.

I’m the victim of a cruel, collective injustice.

I’ve been locked up, handcuffed and chained, banished from the world and waiting to die. I don’t know how long I’ve got left to live. Every time my cell door opens my heart beats faster. My life is in God’s hands and I don’t know what’s going to happen to me. It’s a brutal, cruel existence. But I am innocent. I’m guilty only of being presumed guilty. I’m starting to wonder whether being a Christian in Pakistan today is not just a failing, or a mark against you, but actually a crime.

But though I’m kept in a tiny, windowless cell, I want my voice and my anger to be heard. I want the whole world to know that I’m going to be hanged for helping my neighbor. I’m guilty of having shown someone sympathy. What did I do wrong? I drank water from a well belonging to Muslim women, using “their” cup, in the burning heat of the midday sun.

25ps.asia.c.TA--300x300.jpg

Asia Bibi​

I, Asia Bibi, have been sentenced to death because I was thirsty. I’m a prisoner because I used the same cup as those Muslim women, because water served by a Christian woman was regarded as unclean by my stupid fellow fruit-pickers.

That day, June 14, 2009, is imprinted on my memory. I can still see every detail.

That morning I got up earlier than usual, to take part in the big falsa-berry harvest. I’d been told about it by Farah, our lovely local shopkeeper. “Why don’t you go falsa picking tomorrow in that field just outside the village? You know the one; it belongs to the Nadeems, the rich family who live in Lahore. The pay is 250 rupees.”

Because it was Sunday, my husband Ashiq wasn’t working in the brickworks. While I was getting ready to go to work he was still fast asleep in the big family bed with two of our daughters, who were also worn out after a long week at school. I looked at them with love before I left the room, and thanked God for giving me such a wonderful family.

When I got to the field, around 15 women were already at work, picking away, their backs hidden by the tall bushes. It was going to be a physically exhausting day in such heat, but I needed those 250 rupees.

Some of the women greeted me with a smile. I recognized my neighbor, Musarat, who was the seamstress in my village. I gave her a little wave, but she turned back to the bushes again at once. Musarat wasn’t really an agricultural worker and I didn’t often see her in the fields, so I realized times must be hard for her family. In the end, it was just our lot to be poor, all of us.

A hard-faced woman dressed in clothes that had been mended many times came over to me with an old yellow bowl.

“If you fill the bowl you get 250 rupees,” she said without really looking at me.

I looked at the huge bowl and thought I would never finish before sunset. Looking at the other women’s bowls, I also realized mine was much bigger. They were reminding me that I’m a Christian.

The sun was beating down, and by midday it was like working in an oven. I was dripping with sweat and I could hardly think or move for the suffocating heat. In my mind, I could see the river beside my village. If only I could have jumped into that cool water!

But since the river was nowhere near, I freed myself from my bushes and walked over to the nearby well. Already I could sense the coolness rising up from the depths.

I pull up a bucketful of water and dip in the old metal cup resting on the side of the well. The cool water is all I can think of. I gulp it down and I feel better; I pull myself together.

Then I start to hear muttering. I pay no attention and fill the cup again, this time holding it out to a woman next to me who looks like she’s in pain. She smiles and reaches out . . . At exactly the moment Musarat pokes her ferrety nose out from the bush, her eyes full of hate:

“Don’t drink that water, it’s haram!”

Musarat addresses all the pickers, who have suddenly stopped work at the sound of the word “haram,” the Islamic term for anything forbidden by God.

“Listen, all of you, this Christian has dirtied the water in the well by drinking from our cup and dipping it back several times. Now the water is unclean and we can’t drink it! Because of her!”

It’s so unfair that for once I decide to defend myself and stand up to the old witch.

“I think Jesus would see if differently from Mohammed.”

Musarat is furious. “How dare you think for the Prophet, you ****** animal!”

Three other women start shouting even louder.

“That’s right, you’re just a ****** Christian! You’ve contaminated our water and now you dare speak for the Prophet! Stupid *****, your Jesus didn’t even have a proper father, he was a bastard, don’t you know that.”

Musarat comes over as though she’s going to hit me and yells: “You should convert to Islam to redeem yourself for your ****** religion.”

I feel a pain deep inside. We Christians have always stayed silent: We’ve been taught since we were babies never to say anything, to keep quiet because we’re a minority. But I’m stubborn too and now I want to react, I want to defend my faith. I take a deep breath and fill my lungs with courage.

“I’m not going to convert. I believe in my religion and in Jesus Christ, who died on the cross for the sins of mankind. What did your Prophet Mohammed ever do to save mankind? And why should it be me that converts instead of you?”

That’s when the hatred bursts from all side. All around me the women start screaming. One of them grabs my bowl and tips the berries into her own. Another one shoves and Musarat spits in my face with all the scorn she can manage. A foot lashes out and they push me. Even when I run home, I can still hear them complaining.

Five days later, I went to work fruit picking in another field. I’ve almost filled my bowl when I hear what sounds like a rioting crowd. I step back from my bush, wondering what’s going on, and in the distance I see dozens of men and women striding along towards our field, waving their arms in the air.

I catch the cruel eyes of Musarat. Her expression is self-righteous and full of scorn. I shiver as I suddenly realize that she hasn’t let it go. I can tell she’s out for revenge. The excited crowd are closer now; they are coming into the field and now they’re standing in front of me, threatening and shouting.

“Filthy *****! We’re taking you back to the village! You insulted our Prophet! You’ll pay for that with your life!”

They all start yelling:

“Death! Death to the Christian!”

The angry crowd is pressing closer and closer around me. I’m half lying on the ground when two men grab me by the arms to drag me away. I call out in a desperate, feeble voice:

“I haven’t done anything! Let me go, please! I haven’t done anything wrong!”

Just then someone hits me in the face. My nose really hurts and I’m bleeding. They drag me along, semi-conscious, like a stubborn donkey. I can only submit and pray that it will all stop soon. I look at the crowd, apparently jubilant that I’ve put up so little resistance. I stagger as the blows rain down on my legs, my back and the back of my head. I tell myself that when we get to the village perhaps my sufferings will be over. But when we arrive there it’s worse: there are even more people and the crowd turn more and more aggressive, calling all the louder for my death.

25ps.girlsmain.c.TA--300x300.jpg

Daughters of Asia Bibi hold a photo of their mother, who has been in prison for four years.​

More and more people join the crowd as they push me towards the home of the village headman. I recognize the house — it’s the only one that has a garden with grass growing in it. They throw me to the ground. The village imam speaks to me: “I’ve been told you’ve insulted our Prophet. You know what happens to anyone who attacks the holy Prophet Mohammed. You can redeem yourself only by conversion or death.”

“I haven’t done anything! Please! I beg you! I’ve done nothing wrong!”

The qari with his long, well-combed beard, turns to Musarat and the three women who were there on the day of the falsa harvest.

“Did she speak ill of Muslims and our holy Prophet Mohammed?”

“Yes, she insulted them,” replies Musarat, and the others join in:

“It’s true, she insulted our religion.”

“If you don’t want to die,” says the young mullah, “you must convert to Islam. Are you willing to redeem yourself by becoming a good Muslim?”

Sobbing, I reply:

“No, I don’t want to change my religion. But please believe me, I didn’t do what these women say, I didn’t insult your religion. Please have mercy on me.”

I put my hands together and plead with him. But he is unmoved.

“You’re lying! Everyone says you committed this blasphemy and that’s proof enough. Christians must comply with the law of Pakistan, which forbids any derogatory remarks about the holy Prophet. Since you won’t convert and the Prophet cannot defend himself, we shall avenge him.”

He turns on his heel and the angry crowd falls on me. I’m beaten with sticks and spat at. I think I’m going to die. Then they ask me again:

“Will you convert to a religion worthy of the name?”

“No, please, I’m a Christian, but I beg you . . . ”

And they go on beating me with the same fury as before.

I was barely conscious and could hardly feel the pain of my wounds by the time the police arrived. Two policemen threw me in their van, to cheers from the angry crowd, and a few minutes later I was in the police station in Nankana Sahib.

In the police chief’s office they sat me down on a bench. I asked for water and compresses for the wounds on my legs, which were streaming with blood. A young policeman threw me an old dishcloth and spat out at me:

“Here, and don’t get it everywhere.”

One of my arms really hurt and I thought it might be broken. Just then I saw the qari come in with Musarat and her gang. With me sitting there they told the police chief that I insulted the Prophet Mohammed. From outside the police station I could hear shouts:

“Death to the Christian!”

After writing up the report the policeman turned and called to me in a nasty voice:

“So what have you got to say for yourself?”

“I’m innocent! It’s not true! I didn’t insult the Prophet!”

Immediately after I’d protested my innocence I was manhandled into the police van and driven away. During the journey I passed out from pain and only came back to myself as we were arriving at Sheikhupura prison, where I was thrown into a cell.

Since that day I haven’t left prison.

Excerpted with permission from “Blasphemy: A Memoir” by Asia Bibi as told to Anne-Isabelle Tollet, published by Chicago Review Press.

What Pakistani here can claim they did anything for this woman over the past four years? Encouraging her to convert can't count, of course, as her experienced caused her to equate Muslims with injustice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom