What's new

Punjab: Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy

Jinnah was an inspiration and a true visionary ahead of his time even if I personally do not agree with partition I wish we had more leaders like him now more than ever not for just Pakistan's sake but for all of humanity.

Code:
Where are the MMA Protests now? They love bruning Israeli, American and Indian flags.. where is Imran Khan? or Nawaz Sharif regarding this issue.. Shame.

What is the point of seeking the likes of these to speak against this -- they are supporters of this kind of travesty. For them it is enough for them to wrap themselves as "defenders" of Wahabi ideology posing as Islam -- just imagine that in a country 98 percent Muslim, that if you are poor, a peasant and a religious minority, you are, in essence, living on borrowed time. The shame of it seems to slide of them like.... one is left dumbfounded.

Editorial from the DT

Pakistan’s Salem witch-hunt

Religious minorities in Pakistan live in the most adversarial of circumstances. The Blasphemy Law, a draconian law promulgated by General Ziaul Haq, hangs over the heads of not just religious minorities but even Muslims like the sword of Damocles. Recently, a Christian woman, Asia Bibi, was sentenced to death on blasphemy charges by a local court. Though most such death sentences are overturned on appeal, there have been several cases of the accused being killed during or after the trial is over. One such case is that of a 22-year-old boy, Imran Latif, who was shot dead near his home even though the blasphemy charges against him had not been proved and he was released on bail.

Instead of catching the culprits or denouncing the murder, the investigating officer pronounced: “no Muslim tolerates a man who commits blasphemous acts”. If a law enforcer can justify a murder on this pretext, it means that we are officially sanctioning a free hand to murderers. When our policemen pass such intolerant statements, we should not expect much from the bigots present in every nook and corner of this (un)blessed land. The Blasphemy Law gives a state-backed stamp of approval to intolerance. It is a shame that General Zia’s legacy has not been reversed despite the passage of several decades. With laws like this on our statute books, what kind of message are we giving to the world? In the comity of nations, we do not stand a chance to be dubbed ‘civilised’ due to such laws.

It must be pointed out once again that most people accused of blasphemy never committed the act but were charged by people with ulterior motives like a property dispute, personal vendetta, etc. Sadly, this is reminiscent of the Salem witch trials in the US in the 17th century.

Both military and civilian governments have been afraid of repealing the Blasphemy Law as they fear a backlash from the religious zealots. The only way to deal with this now is if the people unite and stand up for their just rights. We need a people’s movement asking for a reversal of not just this law but also many others, including the Hudood Ordinance. If the people do not raise their voice, they would be left in a continuing state of being granted no rights.

In our country not only the blasphemy laws are mis-used, but several others too. Constitution itself has been mis-interpreted and used as per dictators wishes.

Do we need to scrap these laws, show them the hells way as well?

A more sensible way to go about this misuse-of-laws problem is to amend the law, make it harder for someone to convict, make the departments corruption free, authorize better people to pass a verdict.

Muslim women labourers are not wealthy enough to bring such matters in to the court of law, unless they are really hurt and truely offended. Also, someone from the effected side needs to take a step forward and file a law suite for false accusation.

I would request all cyber-space-junkies instead of showing their vengeance against a law (they only have heard about) and spitting against Islam, do not post if you have nothing objective to say.

Some have argued that it will take time to be rid of laws such as the blasphemy laws - Why, friends, why should the Majlis not act? Can Pakistanis be victimized by the claim that such victimization is the substance of upholding Islam or Shari'ah? If yes, it will become clear that no one in Pakistan can be safe and indeed radical Wahabi ideals will have been accepted in the place of Islam, will the armed forces then be required to fight the population?, the courts?, the Majlis?

These laws, misguided and mean spirited as they are, are a threat to the nation - far from regulating life, they introduce the element of enemy seeking and enemy making in society, as the norm in society.

Where are the MMA Protests now? They love bruning Israeli, American and Indian flags.. where is Imran Khan? or Nawaz Sharif regarding this issue.. Shame..

what makes you think that any of these silent supporters of systematic murder, oppression & khilfah delusional-ists have any shame left

This is really a sad issue. We are still paying for Zia's Islamization. Idk why the govt can't repeal this barbaric blasphemy law and all those anti ahmadi laws. This PPP govt seems much more secular so idk why they can't.
With these fucked up laws against minorities we are just giving more strength to the terrorists, if talibanis attack a church in the future the govt will be responsible.

forgive my harsh tone but its really serious to me because I'm christian and my forefathers also sacrificed their lives to create Pakistan.

Last edited:
Pakistan minister backs new probe in Christian mother case

By Waqar Hussain (AFP) – 4 hours ago

LAHORE, Pakistan — A Pakistani cabinet minister on Thursday called for a thorough re-investigation and fair appeal for a Christian mother sentenced to death for blasphemy after the Pope called for her release.

On November 8 Asia Bibi was sentenced to hang in Pakistan's central province of Punjab after being accused of insulting the Prophet Mohammed in 2009.

She has filed an appeal at Lahore high court, the top court in Punjab.

"We have requested the Punjab government that the trial should be fair in the high court. She must also be provided security in jail," said Pakistan's minister for minority affairs, Shahbaz Bhatti.

Asia's supporters say the case is baseless and that her first trial "was not heard properly," Bhatti told AFP.

"We have, therefore, asked the Punjab government that the case be reinvestigated properly."

Pope Benedict XVI this week called for her release and said Christians in Pakistan were "often victims of violence and discrimination."

"I feel close to Asia Bibi and her family and I ask that she be released as soon as possible," he said on Wednesday.

Pakistan has yet to execute anyone for blasphemy, but the case spotlights a controversial law which rights activists say encourages Islamist extremism in a Muslim country on the front line of the US-led war on Al-Qaeda.

Italy's Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said he was told during a visit to Islamabad last week that Pakistan was committed to changing the blasphemy law and has promised to join the fight to save Asia.

Asia's lawyer said the appeal had been filed. Neither he nor her husband, Ashiq Masih, said there had been any contact from the government.

"The Lahore high court will take up the case. It can order a fresh inquiry, a fresh trial or a fresh investigation," lawyer S.K. Chaudhry told AFP.

"We will move a bail application for Asia next week and we hope the court will grant her bail," Chaudhry said.

In June 2009, Asia was asked to fetch water while out working in the fields. But Muslim women labourers objected, saying that as a non-Muslim, she should not touch the water bowl.

A few days later the women went to a local cleric and alleged that Asia made derogatory remarks about the Prophet Mohammed.

She was arrested in Ittanwalai village and prosecuted under Section 295 C of the Pakistan Penal Code, which carries the death penalty.

Rights activists and minority pressure groups said it was the first time that a woman had been sentenced to hang in Pakistan for blasphemy, although a Muslim couple were jailed for life last year.

Only around three percent of Pakistan's population of 167 million is estimated to be non-Muslim.

AFP: Pakistan minister backs new probe in Christian mother case

This is really a sad issue. We are still paying for Zia's Islamization. Idk why the govt can't repeal this barbaric blasphemy law and all those anti ahmadi laws. This PPP govt seems much more secular so idk why they can't.
With these fucked up laws against minorities we are just giving more strength to the terrorists, if talibanis attack a church in the future the govt will be responsible.

forgive my harsh tone but its really serious to me because I'm christian and my forefathers also sacrificed their lives to create Pakistan.

I understand your feelings. Sometimes we Pakistanis feel so helpless. We want to set everything right. We want to remove injustice, corruption but perhaps we don't know that from where we should start?I don't see any political party who is willing to defend minorities against this law and i think we Pakistanis have learned not to expect anything from PPP so please don't look up to them.
Case has gone to the high court and they will carry out fresh investigation. Because of international pressure, I am sure that this woman life will be spared. However she will need protection even then as there are many cases where minorities ,implicated in blasphemy cases, were shot down outside courts.

However the story will not end there. We need to keep this issue alive. I look upto my fellow Pakistanis to please start writing against this law. More than this , nation wide protests are needed to pressurize the Govt. Only then perhaps we might be able to remove this law otherwise this law will continue to haunt us, Non Muslims as well as Muslims.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom