PTI boycotts US in plane incident spat.

Asian.Century

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan party boycotts U.S. in plane incident spat
Tuesday, March 25, 2014

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan and the United States are locked in a diplomatic row after the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf opposition party of cricketer-turned politician Imran Khan barred its parliamentarians from visiting the U.S. in protest over the offloading of an opposition member from a Canada-bound flight last week on the orders of U.S. officials.

"Unless the US authorities tender an official apology to Shaikh Rasheed Ahmed (an independent member of the national Assembly elected with PTI support), no PTI parliamentarian will visit the United States", Dr Sheerin Mazari, the central secretary of information for Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf told reporters on Tuesday.

“This is not his (Rasheed's) insult; this is an insult to the whole parliament" said Mazari, adding that the party's woman parliamentarian, Nafeesa Khattak, who was supposed to visit the United States to attend a conference, has cancelled in protest the treatment of Shaikh Rasheed by American authorities.

Rasheed, a former federal minister, and six-time elected parliamentarian had boarded a Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) flight destined for Toronto late on Thursday night last week, but airline officials removed him from the plane before takeoff.

Rasheed was scheduled to attend a rally in Toronto on March 23 in connection with Pakistan's National Day.

The PIA officials later clarified that the orders to offload Rasheed had come from U.S. authorities.

Earlier, the National Assembly on Monday witnessed a rowdy session over the incident, with treasury and opposition members shouting accusations against each other.

Opposition leader Khursheed Shah, who belongs to the left-wing Pakistan Peoples Party, dubbed the incident as a stigma on national integrity and dignity.

"Why did the PIA officials obey the orders of the U.S. authorities?” he asked.

“An elected member was insulted and offloaded from a national flag carrier on the orders of an American officer – why has the government not lodged a protest?”, he added.

Interior Minister Chaudry Nisar Ali Khan assured the house that Rasheed's matter would be discussed with U.S. authorities as a special case.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency

I dont understand. Sh Rasheed was going to Canada, not US. Why was he offloaded. I m sure this govt cant take a stand on this issue.

Is it a joke? People who voice their resentment against US foreign policy or go against what they order us, are offloaded from planes? This happened to Imran Khan as well last year.

You can talk against drones, cant criticize US occupation, cant say anything regarding Taliban that violates US policy. This is the level of slavery we have fallen to and are willing to accept!! laanat hai laanat.

"Unless the US authorities tender an official apology to Shaikh Rasheed Ahmed (an independent member of the national Assembly elected with PTI support), no PTI parliamentarian will visit the United States".
This sounds like great news! I hope it's true...after all, what American wants these Taliban-and Al Qaeda-supporters roaming around the country?

Unfortunately, it probably isn't true - they'll say one thing, but do something else. Pakistanis know what their politicians are like. But maybe some Pakistanis will do America the favor of monitoring these PTI guys and publicly shaming them when they buy U.S. tickets.

Sheikh Rasheed, the thing is that his ticket of plane was suppose to use US airspace to destination Canada, hence he was barred.

I note this wasn't the first time this guy was detained in the U.S.: link

As the highest-rated commenter put it, "He abuses US and still goes there. Rightly he deserved this treatment. Ideal would have been to pack him back to Pakistan."

Sheikh Rasheed, the thing is that his ticket of plane was suppose to use US airspace to destination Canada, hence he was barred.

What? Cant even use US airspace if you are against US foreign policy?

This must stop. US and the west is no one to decide who does what and who says what.

This sounds like great news! I hope it's true...after all, what American wants these Taliban-and Al Qaeda-supporters roaming around the country?
Ignorance, arrogance, and hatred bound no limit it seems. I dislike Rasheed, but don't remember him 'supporting' banned outfits. He is one big liberal as far as his life-style is concerned.

Unfortunately, it probably isn't true - they'll say one thing, but do something else. Pakistanis know what their politicians are like. But maybe some Pakistanis will do America the favor of monitoring these PTI guys and publicly shaming them when they buy U.S. tickets.
As if US politicians are any different.

So much for freedom of speech I guess. These are not but the last few flashes of US arrogance. China is emerging fast and Russia is sticking its finger up in phat US *** big time. We got to hang on for little more though.

This is one good move from PTI in loooooooong time. I support this move.

Last edited:

How is that possible ?

Canada is North of the US. Every time , I come to New York we are in Canadian Airspace an hour before we come down South to US border and New York.

It was like the drone issue PTI pretty much gave the yanks the finger :D.

I note this wasn't the first time this guy was detained in the U.S.: link

As the highest-rated commenter put it, "He abuses US and still goes there. Rightly he deserved this treatment. Ideal would have been to pack him back to Pakistan."

And what happened to the freedom of speech and the so called champions of the free world. What a farce.

On topic PTI is the only party that takes stand on such issues. Unless Pakistanis learn to take a stand for them, they will continue to be insulted and taken for granted.

You cant talk against drones, cant criticize US occupation, cant say anything regarding Taliban that violates US policy. This is the level of slavery we have fallen to and are willing to accept!! laanat hai laanat.
That's the problem. It's a catch 22 situation. Damned if you do and damned if you don't! After all the US controls most financial institutions like the WB and IMF. Mr Yank can turn the tap off any time he wishes to do so.

The US of A has got you guys in a cleft-stick due to your dependence on their military hardware. If sanctions are imposed, it's curtains. India had better watch out too. We seem to be going overboard purchasing billions of dollars worth of military hardware from them.

That's the problem. It's a catch 22 situation. Damned if you do and damned if you don't! After all the US controls most financial institutions like the WB and IMF. Mr Yank can turn the tap off any time he wishes to do so.

The US of A has got you guys in a cleft-stick due to your dependence on their military hardware. If sanctions are imposed, it's curtains. India had better watch out too. We seem to be going overboard purchasing billions of dollars worth of military hardware from them.
it becomes a problem for developing countries not developed. If our leaders weren't so corrupt by now we should have been running the world.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom