What's new

Featured Project Azm: Pakistan's Ambitious Quest to Develop 5th Generation Military Technologies.

We should make full jets. Yes it's a huge thing to do but have dam good history of falling into sanctions and loosing partners. We need to go for full development of jets and other weapons.
Maulana thora holsa aur patience rakhain, I would also luv to own a Ferrari or Lambo but I also have to keep a reality check on my resources.

On one hand I am skeptical that the FGFA program has been killed because the deputation (that I told you about) has more than a year of its mission remaining so it would be weird to kill local Azm while the deputation hasn't even decided.

On the other hand I sort of feel this is inevitable considering our financial and technical capacity.

Something fun:
1644421947703.png

This could mean the guy got promoted out and someone else replaced him
OR
The post doesn't exist anymore (and the guy got promoted out)
OR
Just a mistake on LinkedIn.

We should make full jets. Yes it's a huge thing to do but have dam good history of falling into sanctions and loosing partners. We need to go for full development of jets and other weapons.
For that, we need to first develop an industrial and manufacturing base in the civilian sector. We need to first go beyond just mainly assembling cars. We need R&D in the private sector. We need strong semiconductor manufacturing capabilities.

These are the abilities we need to develop first. We are a long way off at the moment in getting there.

For that, we need to first develop an industrial and manufacturing base in the civilian sector. We need to first go beyond just mainly assembling cars. We need R&D in the private sector. We need strong semiconductor manufacturing capabilities.

These are the abilities we need to develop first. We are a long way off at the moment in getting there.
Semiconductors is too high to aim right now. Even a full stealth AC was too high. IMO, Pakistan should focus on developing capacity for local gas turbine production. They have both civilian and military applications.

A 50 KN turbojet could be and achievable first step. Two could be combined for use in a JF-17 sized AC.....85% of which could be made in Pakistan. It would hedge us from being completely dependent on aerospace imports.

Last edited:
On the other hand I sort of feel this is inevitable considering our financial and technical capacity.
IMO, focus should be on pragmatic and achievable goals. That's what made JF-17 so successful for PAF. If PLAN is backing J31 type AC. Then it may be more pragmatic to buy it from China. Money saved could be reallocated to other goals such as a higher level of indigenous components for a JF-17 type AC.....with local gas turbine production.

If this is achieved.....an AZM type AC can be revisited.

IMO, focus should be on pragmatic and achievable goals. That's what made JF-17 so successful for PAF. If PLAN is backing J31 type AC. Then it may be more pragmatic to buy it from China. Money saved could be reallocated to other goals such as a higher level of indigenous components for a JF-17 type AC.....with local gas turbine production.

If this is achieved.....an AZM type AC can be revisited.
Yes, I agree. There are so many other things that can Pakistan can work on to support an FGFA from China or Turkey - subsystems, payloads, loyal wingmen, etc. Honestly, this should have been done for the JF-17 to a much greater extent so that we would be in a better position for Azm FGFA.

With all that being said, Pakistan's economy needs to do much better before we can fund these long-term R&D projects.

Yes, I agree. There are so many other things that can Pakistan can work on to support an FGFA from China or Turkey - subsystems, payloads, loyal wingmen, etc. Honestly, this should have been done for the JF-17 to a much greater extent so that we would be in a better position for Azm FGFA.

With all that being said, Pakistan's economy needs to do much better before we can fund this long-term R&D projects.
You have to balance ambition and achievability. There is a reason why only a handful of countries have designed and built stealth combat AC. Pakistan's aerospace industry is very young and requires much more growth. In the near term, its best to take the platform we already own (JF-17) and attempt to increase its level of indigenous components.

With all that being said, Pakistan's economy needs to do much better before we can fund these long-term R&D projects.
We're not improving the economy...

...Not with crony politicians and over-bearing generals in the mix, anyways. The best people for the job of running the economy aren't in control of the public policy mechanisms. tbh our private sector's probably looking outwards for growth opportunities, while our best talent generally leaves the country. In fact, we heard it from someone (who seemed to have ethnocentric leanings) that he'd rather Pakistan ship its human resources out.

To be frank, I think our public policy is exactly geared to do that -- ship the best out, and hope they never come back.

We're not improving the economy...

...Not with crony politicians and over-bearing generals in the mix, anyways. The best people for the job of running the economy aren't in control of the public policy mechanisms. tbh our private sector's probably looking outwards for growth opportunities, while our best talent generally leaves the country. In fact, we heard it from someone (who seemed to have ethnocentric leanings) that he'd rather Pakistan ship its human resources out.

To be frank, I think our public policy is exactly geared to do that -- ship the best out, and hope they never come back.
Pakistan's number 1 export: Talent
Pakistan's number 1 import: Remittances
lol

I would guess its the J35 that has always been on track. It is for export but it is being preped for carrier operations. I dont know how we will bring something like that in.

Back
Top Bottom