What's new

Featured Project Azm: Pakistan's Ambitious Quest to Develop 5th Generation Military Technologies.

That is a good question -
Entry level Product managers can make $75-80k in US to portfolio managers going for 2-4 times depending upon experience.
Engineers usually start from the high $60s going to $130k before hitting management level and then it’s onwards.

You may not need to offer that - but you do need to offer 80% of it tax free along with good DHA or Bahria level housing as a minimum incentive.

Frankly, all college grads from Pakistan should have significantly higher pay than they get but then the society & economics are FUBAR but “hazaron khwaish aisi”
I think 60-70% would still be very encouraging. In US 30-40% gets taken in taxes in one form or another (fed, state, medicare, soc sec ) and then comes your medical premium. So if someone can make an offer of 60-70% tax free, and then good living accommodations, it definitely will be more worth it as in Pakistan you can live like a king even with 50% less money comparably. And trust me, there is a genuine desire in a lot of our diasporas - even medical doctors earning 300-500k+ they still need to do own groceries and drive their our own car !
This is not only important for getting talent from outside but also retaining the talent as well. The locals will need to be compensated as well - what will they think if they see that you can get a 10x boost in salary by getting US experience?

Last edited:
In public domain, things might appears to be just that plain and simple. However, on other end, there's a totally different ball game. Having said that, if J-10C is coming, there is a strong and valid reason for that and above all, it isn't lack of NGF or something like that. Obviously, NGF isn't a short procuring thing. We do have AESA in Block-III and many other advance aspects as well but there is a tier like Mid-to-High for a transition period. The transition period to build such a bridge between 4 to 5th gen, will payoff after 10 or so years. Whether Block 72 viper or J-10C, the requirement arose given the weight class gape and so the 13 years cycle for NGF.

And that is where I disagree respectfully. Because it is irrational to suggest that the very first aircraft designed and developed by PAC shall be a 5th gen, LO/Stealth aircraft. This is NOT how things happen. You need to give them the space to take what they already know - JF -17 Thunder - and enhance that indigenously into something that gets inducted into the airforce. This means, the airforce needs to develop its fighting philosophy keeping in mind the maturity curve of PAC.

If you don't take this very bold step, then forever you will be importing platforms to fulfill temporary needs. You need to break this vicious cycle now.

And that is where I disagree respectfully. Because it is irrational to suggest that the very first aircraft designed and developed by PAC shall be a 5th gen, LO/Stealth aircraft. This is NOT how things happen. You need to give them the space to take what they already know - JF -17 Thunder - and enhance that indigenously into something that gets inducted into the airforce. This means, the airforce needs to develop its fighting philosophy keeping in mind the maturity curve of PAC.

If you don't take this very bold step, then forever you will be importing platforms to fulfill temporary needs. You need to break this vicious cycle now.

Do you even understand what you are suggesting for an Air Force like PAF? How on earth I will ask PAF to design fighting philosophy because this is what I am going to produce for you? Man, A Force already has the philosophy, doctrine and tactics in mind in respect to modern Warfare or future requirements based upon development and threat assessment. Then, the Force calls for an assessment of equipment which actually fits the bill and then, it's assessed whether local production will suffice or we have to go for off the shelf solution.

If you try to shove down a LCA Tejas then you very well know how the force is going to respond....whether by rejection or by merely saying yes because of national thing and nothing else. PAC will have to come with a top notch solution that a force like PAF wouldn't reject.

Do you even understand what you are suggesting for an Air Force like PAF? How on earth I will ask PAF to design fighting philosophy because this is what I am going to produce for you? Man, A Force already has the philosophy, doctrine and tactics in mind in respect to modern Warfare or future requirements based upon development and threat assessment. Then, the Force calls for an assessment of equipment which actually fits the bill and then, it's assessed whether local production will suffice or we have to go for off the shelf solution.

If you try to shove down a LCA Tejas then you very well know how the force is going to respond....whether by rejection or by merely saying yes because of national thing and nothing else. PAC will have to come with a top notch solution that a force like PAF wouldn't reject.

That's why I used the words 'bold step'.

Now, there are many ways to skin the cat. You can take on the enemy using superior technology, top notch training, and a small number of aircraft. Everybody agrees with that. But you can also take on the enemy using slightly inferior technology, top notch training, and a large number of aircraft. This gives your indigenous capability the time to mature.

If you look at China, by and large it relied on strength in numbers and strong diplomacy until indigenous capability matured to such an extent that they are openly challenging America. We need to learn from this.

Sorry, I forgot to add, what I wrote previously is actually what PAF did with JF-17. Look at Block 1 vs Block 3. Had they waited for something like Block 3, we would have gone nowhere. I feel like we are forgetting the lessons we have learnt in the recent past.

I sit here here and laugh at the self made negative experts.. the same expert who's said jf17 wasn't achievable because bla bla bla bla.

Same sh1t is being peddled again..why ??? Because nothing is being said about azm. So the geniuses think the nation is asleep. Like anyone here has ever contributed anything to the aerospace sector of Pakistan. This iincludes myself even though I have been in the aerospace industry. Just not in Pakistan.

No news = sleeping PAF and Progect Azm...genius
meri jaan you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

i’d highly highly recommend you take a seat, swallow your pride and listen carefully to what @JamD is saying. He knows what he’s talking about, something which is in short supply here. I promise you, sitting there and overestimating our ability to do things will not solve the core issues, rather accepting them, holding people accountable and then correcting them is what will.

The way it is planned right now, I agree. In my opinion the solution is a rethinking of the goals of the project. Some very smart people need to sit and analyze our capabilities, our niche in collaboration with international partners, and how to fill any small gaps in our capacity. Most importantly, we should not be hoping to fill FGFA sized gaps in our capability within ten years with 100 thousand dollars. The primary goal should be capacity building through smartly selected projects. For example the MALE program, excellent project. Build on that and develop a really dumb and cheap loyal wingman UCAV.

Agreed.

And these smart whiz kids need to sit away from all the noise, unencumbered by any organizational biases, etc. In short, an independent analysis of our national capabilities. Call it a 'National Commission for the Analysis of Technical Capabilities' (a very Soviet sounding name) - a group of people who can look at everything that we have - the quality and content of our engineering education, skills and capabilities of our PhDs (local and those coming back from abroad), develop a national database of key individuals who have experience in these areas e.g. some university professors who have worked at NESCOM, KRL, etc, explore avenues for international collaborations, hunt for locally available laboratories and high tech equipment, analyze the capabilities of local industry (SMEs, SOEs and other private sector orgs) which may help in projects of national importance (cue NGFA, SLV, etc). All of this data can provide a true picture of our capabilities and help policymakers set realizable goals for the short, medium and long terms.

The NGFA is an umbrella project and provides an excellent opportunity to develop key infrastructure, capabilities as well as critical inputs or atleast the capability to develop them. We must be training engineers in specific focus areas which will build up capability for the future.

I feel as a nation that we live through so much collective trauma that we hang on for dear life to every piece of good news we can find. While the Erieye thing was impressive, it was a one off thing a decade ago. What capacity did it really build? Did we see anything happen with that capacity? I'm building to a point, trust me.

Jingoistic and 'compartmental-istic' tendencies will see to it that any capacity that the Erieye resurrection did build will be ultimately wasted. It was good for PR though, when presented on the Mujahideen-e-Aflak show.

I will not even make it about all of those ideals of a good researcher. An even more basic requisite is PRACTICE. Literally, just practice. Take a PhD from MIT, and then put him in SUPARCO for 20 years. Take a PhD from QAU and put him in Boeing for 20 years. Who do you prefer to manage your R&D? I am sure there are very talented officers in the PAF who get PhDs from very reputable international universities. I personally know many.

Unfortunately, and I cannot stress the unfortunateness of this enough, how they practice their knowledge is what fails them. And by practice I mean not at all. PAF guy gets a PhD in aerodynamics, comes back and what does he work on? Managing the assembly line of the JF-17. PAF guy gets a PhD in flight dynamics and control, comes back and what does he work on? Desk jobs doing paper analysis to keep busy.

So what's the issue here? The issue is that we do not have actual aerospace projects where talented people can work at - practice and hone their craft. So what's the solution? Have numerous projects under numerous roofs. Keep these projects simple and achievable (like a loyal wingman UCAV) and involve the private sector so Pakistan can retain and keep in practice many more talented individuals.

If Pakistan can somehow employ 1000 engineers in a productive project for a decade who are free to move around companies (and not live under SPD rocks), that itself will create an aerospace industry regardless of what this project produces. That's my understanding of the "basic problem": talent retention and what the talent practices.

Agreed. No arguments there.

Those are some lofty ideals and we have a long way to go. It is my opinion (emphasis on opinion) that we should try to identify increasingly simple and basic problems because only those problems lend themselves to any kinds of workable solutions. For example, how do you propose you make the managers of our mil industry like Gene Kranz? I sure as heck don't know how.

I probably suffer from a 'Go big or go home' problem, hence the lofty ideals :lol:

Whatever we choose to focus on - big ideals or small, basic problems - the issue remains the same: a severe shortage of people who have the ability to zoom into grand visions and see how they will be implemented on the ground. We need strategists and tacticians, not for battle, but to catalyze change within our defence R&D sphere. Sohail Aman had a dream - good for him - what we need are people who can translate that dream into the nuts and bolts, who can draw up a solid plan for how that grand dream will be implemented on the ground in a country without basic high tech infrastructure, without govt backing of any such ventures, with extreme corruption, an extremely underdeveloped work ethic and an overall national level ethos of rent-seeking, taking shortcuts, making easy money and not going the extra mile.

With that said, I don't know how we can have people like Gene Kranz or George Mueller. But we can take some steps in that direction. I have tried to explain the details below.

Pakistan's top engineering universities (most of them) have DIRECT ties with the military establishment. What is stopping them from keeping a list of the brightest and most genius students that study there or have studied there? Sure enough, this would require some amount of active engagement, some provision of extra benefits, etc but it can be done. Conduct specially designed tests (IQ, EQ, 'engineer-like qualities :lol: ', leadership, etc - just a bunch of stuff that psychologists, educationists and some world-class researchers can come up with). Conduct multiple interview rounds - find out what these kids want in life: their vision, their attitude to life, their approach to problems, what drives them, etc etc. Weed out those who don't fit the bill at each stage.
Provide targeted financial support to the ones that are left after all of the above while they are in college and once they graduate, offer them something like a commission in the armed forces. Some would accept, some would not (write them off as investments in the youth).

In the background, use diplomacy to secure slots for these young engineers in Turkey, China and other friendly countries - the UAE and perhaps maybe Italy. Selling this idea to these countries will require some serious work by the govt. Some creative benefits plan for these engineers can be worked out in which the host countries do not have to shoulder the burden of hosting these engineers. In a few years (say 4-5), these engineers will start coming back, having worked on the JF-17 in Chengdu or on the T129 in Turkey in specific, focused areas. They will have gained very valuable experience. Once they are back, the buildings and facilities are waiting to receive them. New institutions must be set up for them, with specific mandates and assured funding and administrative autonomy. In short, these engineers must come back to provide the first generation of leaders for a nationally sanctioned program to develop next generation warfare capabilities for the armed forces - exactly how the nuclear program was managed in Bhutto's era.

Several cycles of this activity can be run, i.e. send engineers abroad every year (wherever they can get the opportunity to work on relevant areas) and have them work and study abroad for a certain number of years. Wthin a decade or so, an entire cadre of skilled personnel will have been formed.

But the problem that I identified above about talent retention and practice. Sure it sounds less fancy but I can think of at least one solution: start a loyal wingman UCAV competition under project Azm and invite consortium of pvt companies to compete. Promise two winners enough funds and access to APF factories to produce a prototype and promise the winner of the competition a contract of 60 UCAVs. This will EASILY employ hundreds and possibly thousands of very talented people for many years, and create an aerospace ecosystem for Pakistan. THIS is the kind of thing that builds "Aviation City", not hiring "ML engineer" and "FPGA Engineer" and "Accounts Officer" to put in an empty building in Attock.

Rant over.

The key problem is that Azm is essentially a PAF project, it has not been declared as a national project, like the nuclear program was. Govts are too stupid and lack capacity to understand the significance of Azm and as such, there is no political ownership. Also, since it is an internal PAF thing and lacks transparency, the PAF can not be held accountable by anyone in the case that Azm doesn't work out.

If the govt was actually overseeing and directly funding this project, then specific deliverables would have been agreed upon and specific technical targets would need to have been met at certain intervals. In this environment, the PAF would have felt the need to step up its game and find creative ways to deliver (by collaborating with private sector, etc etc). Right now, it is just another project among the multitudes of projects vying for a chunk out of the PAF's own budget and just a step away from being axed due to changing priorities or the lack of vision by any future Air Chief. Indeed, if Azm gets stuck at some point and remains so for some time then that could give a good excuse to a future CAS to quietly kill the project. This is usually what happens in Pakistan.

I sit here here and laugh at the self made negative experts.. the same expert who's said jf17 wasn't achievable because bla bla bla bla.

Same sh1t is being peddled again..why ??? Because nothing is being said about azm. So the geniuses think the nation is asleep. Like anyone here has ever contributed anything to the aerospace sector of Pakistan. This iincludes myself even though I have been in the aerospace industry. Just not in Pakistan.

No news = sleeping PAF and Progect Azm...genius

JF-17 was not designed and built by Pakistan. We just made a User Requirement Document and sent it to China along with some engineers who watched over the shoulders of their Chinese counterparts as the aircraft took shape. These engineers pointed out things which didn't match the requirements of the PAF and told the Chinese 'how it should be' and the Chinese went ahead and did it that way. Some engineers did take part in the actual work - software development, design, simulation, manufacturing and testing but when seen as part of the overall effort, their role comes out to be low and certainly not enough to help us in the NGFA. Besides, the JF-17 was developed nearly a generation ago - the PMO and the engineering personnel have mostly moved on.

We're not pulling stories out of the ground. We have real info, provided to respected PDF members, which shows us that Azm has a serious risk of failing because the people behind it do not have the requisite experience for it. Its that simple.

You may not need to offer that - but you do need to offer 80% of it tax free along with good DHA or Bahria level housing as a minimum incentive.

Frankly, all college grads from Pakistan should have significantly higher pay than they get but then the society & economics are FUBAR but “hazaron khwaish aisi”

Do you know Air Cdr Ilyas Mahmood Qureshi?
Anyway, he narrated that how KRL took care of its people when making our arsenals. The man greeted him was head of some lab. He was not highly educated but highly trained. In fact he was still doing technical work in the lab. Plus he was very humble and simple. He promoted on skill and seniority basis.

So he told that HR ideas was "give us your youth, time and efforts, and we will take care of your housing, health, children's education etc". It is somewhat communist idea but it worked.

I have not heard of the Air Cdr, but have read similar things in articles written by Dr AQ Khan. He wrote that early in the 1980s, around 60-70% of the salary of each KRL employee was converted to a tax-free 'project allowance' courtesy of GIK who was a Federal Secretary and on the controlling board for KRL. AQ Khan also mentions a daily shuttle service from Kahuta to Rwp to take the children of KRL employees to their schools/colleges/universities. These may sound like very trivial things to some, but these tiny conveniences provided by an organization to its employees build up morale tremendously.

Such morale and dedication can not be built by offering a contractual position to a fresh grad by taking advantage of his desperate need to find a job after graduation.[/QUOTE]

Some members here are suggesting things which we common people can't change unfortunately.
But if our talented engineers really want to do something innovative,why don't they join private defence related firms like join hands with Integrated Dynamics,Satuma,Ted x Karachi,Solunox,etc.
Even if our forces don't buy that stuff,no problem,markete it in other countries.that can be the way to go.

Some members here are suggesting things which we common people can't change unfortunately.
But if our talented engineers really want to do something innovative,why don't they join private defence related firms like join hands with Integrated Dynamics,Satuma,Ted x Karachi,Solunox,etc.
Even if our forces don't buy that stuff,no problem,markete it in other countries.that can be the way to go.
Sadly, these companies can't even develop systems without a NOC from GHQ.

@JamD
I was just highlighting that workforce shouldn't be idle. Some manager must develop training schedules, if there are not any project. As a student I could take many courses for my professional development but I did few: Risk assessment, Short Python course, Health and safety, PGR in research practices, PGR in Learning and teaching, Work Ethics, CATIA, Seminars/Symposium/Conferences etc.

Same for suparco employees. A good manager at least can design off project courses. Lets say the goal is vibration test bench. So he can develop short courses for linear algebra, MATLAB/Simulink, harmonics, NHV software like ANSYS, CAD software like NX Unigrapics, Production tech software like Polyflow, 3D printing, CAD/CAM.
He can narrow down papers on that, define objectives and let everyone replicate the steps.

So when funds come for the test bench, people at least have confidence and are prepared.
You are absolutely right. I had misunderstood your original point, apologies. A good manager can turn entire departments around, agreed.

My pessismistic view is that we can't wait for random chance to give us good managers, especially since things are stacked against good people staying. So IMHO the way to keep practice is with projects that I described earlier. I am sure one can identify many problems with that approach as well but at least that way a few people on the top can keep everyone accountable.

Do you know Air Cdr Ilyas Mahmood Qureshi?
Anyway, he narrated that how KRL took care of its people when making our arsenals. The man greeted him was head of some lab. He was not highly educated but highly trained. In fact he was still doing technical work in the lab. Plus he was very humble and simple. He promoted on skill and seniority basis.

So he told that HR ideas was "give us your youth, time and efforts, and we will take care of your housing, health, children's education etc". It is somewhat communist idea but it worked.

@JamD
I was just highlighting that workforce shouldn't be idle. Some manager must develop training schedules, if there are not any project. As a student I could take many courses for my professional development but I did few: Risk assessment, Short Python course, Health and safety, PGR in research practices, PGR in Learning and teaching, Work Ethics, CATIA, Seminars/Symposium/Conferences etc.

Same for suparco employees. A good manager at least can design off project courses. Lets say the goal is vibration test bench. So he can develop short courses for linear algebra, MATLAB/Simulink, harmonics, NHV software like ANSYS, CAD software like NX Unigrapics, Production tech software like Polyflow, 3D printing, CAD/CAM.
He can narrow down papers on that, define objectives and let everyone replicate the steps.

So when funds come for the test bench, people at least have confidence and are prepared.
I have bumped into him in G-6 once.. however, giving out rolexes to management employees was another something AQ Khan did in front of visiting dignitaries to try and impress them so not all of his approaches impressed. The other aspect is to keep such talent away from more tempting offers that include permanent residence abroad. The way Pakistan’s security and crime issues are along with the rotten system, no parent(and only parents will understand) wants their child to grow up in Pakistan unless they have a way to guarantee financial security along with social one. That is difficult to fight as a motive and will remain so unless Pakistan itself changes.

As far as courses are concerned - allocating $1000 for an employee to undertake courses online and attain certification through edx or coursera type resources should be a no brainer.

And these smart whiz kids need to sit away from all the noise, unencumbered by any organizational biases, etc. In short, an independent analysis of our national capabilities. Call it a 'National Commission for the Analysis of Technical Capabilities' (a very Soviet sounding name) - a group of people who can look at everything that we have - the quality and content of our engineering education, skills and capabilities of our PhDs (local and those coming back from abroad), develop a national database of key individuals who have experience in these areas e.g. some university professors who have worked at NESCOM, KRL, etc, explore avenues for international collaborations, hunt for locally available laboratories and high tech equipment, analyze the capabilities of local industry (SMEs, SOEs and other private sector orgs) which may help in projects of national importance (cue NGFA, SLV, etc). All of this data can provide a true picture of our capabilities and help policymakers set realizable goals for the short, medium and long terms.
Da comrade :p:
I get the sense that the mission that you laid out is something which many of existing organizations should be doing. For example MoDP. Or even NESCOM. We do have a national tendency to keep making new organizations and structures instead of reforming old ones. Dolphin Force. Super Dolphin Force. Whale Force. CPEC force. Acceleration Force. sorry in a particular mood today lol.

The NGFA is an umbrella project and provides an excellent opportunity to develop key infrastructure, capabilities as well as critical inputs or atleast the capability to develop them. We must be training engineers in specific focus areas which will build up capability for the future.
What you say is true, but the reason that I am arguing against NGFA is that it is a HUGE program that in all likelihood Pakistan cannot afford to run at the required scale, for the required time. This is BIGGER than the nuclear program, much bigger. So I am arguing that instead of NGFA do things that are "NGFA adjacent" that PAF can actually run at the required scale for the required time.

I probably suffer from a 'Go big or go home' problem, hence the lofty ideals :lol:
This is a lesson that I have had to unlearn and relearn: Find the simplest problem and solve that first. As a young researcher (and still today sometimes) I also have the tendency to think "go big or go home" and start tackling the big picture problem. But everytime I get bogged down because there's simply too much going on and no human can analyze that. Maybe someday some super intelligent computer can but not me. So that's why I constantly try to find the simplest problem and then propose a solution for that. As an added benifit the proposed solution is also very simple (and thus more readily achievable).

Whatever we choose to focus on - big ideals or small, basic problems - the issue remains the same: a severe shortage of people who have the ability to zoom into grand visions and see how they will be implemented on the ground. We need strategists and tacticians, not for battle, but to catalyze change within our defence R&D sphere. Sohail Aman had a dream - good for him - what we need are people who can translate that dream into the nuts and bolts, who can draw up a solid plan for how that grand dream will be implemented on the ground in a country without basic high tech infrastructure, without govt backing of any such ventures, with extreme corruption, an extremely underdeveloped work ethic and an overall national level ethos of rent-seeking, taking shortcuts, making easy money and not going the extra mile.
Agreed. However, for the reason I described earlier, I think Sohail Aman could have made a more grounded vision for Azm. You shoot for the moon and end up in deep space forever lol.

With that said, I don't know how we can have people like Gene Kranz or George Mueller. But we can take some steps in that direction. I have tried to explain the details below.

Pakistan's top engineering universities (most of them) have DIRECT ties with the military establishment. What is stopping them from keeping a list of the brightest and most genius students that study there or have studied there? Sure enough, this would require some amount of active engagement, some provision of extra benefits, etc but it can be done. Conduct specially designed tests (IQ, EQ, 'engineer-like qualities :lol: ', leadership, etc - just a bunch of stuff that psychologists, educationists and some world-class researchers can come up with). Conduct multiple interview rounds - find out what these kids want in life: their vision, their attitude to life, their approach to problems, what drives them, etc etc. Weed out those who don't fit the bill at each stage.
Provide targeted financial support to the ones that are left after all of the above while they are in college and once they graduate, offer them something like a commission in the armed forces. Some would accept, some would not (write them off as investments in the youth).

In the background, use diplomacy to secure slots for these young engineers in Turkey, China and other friendly countries - the UAE and perhaps maybe Italy. Selling this idea to these countries will require some serious work by the govt. Some creative benefits plan for these engineers can be worked out in which the host countries do not have to shoulder the burden of hosting these engineers. In a few years (say 4-5), these engineers will start coming back, having worked on the JF-17 in Chengdu or on the T129 in Turkey in specific, focused areas. They will have gained very valuable experience. Once they are back, the buildings and facilities are waiting to receive them. New institutions must be set up for them, with specific mandates and assured funding and administrative autonomy. In short, these engineers must come back to provide the first generation of leaders for a nationally sanctioned program to develop next generation warfare capabilities for the armed forces - exactly how the nuclear program was managed in Bhutto's era.

Several cycles of this activity can be run, i.e. send engineers abroad every year (wherever they can get the opportunity to work on relevant areas) and have them work and study abroad for a certain number of years. Wthin a decade or so, an entire cadre of skilled personnel will have been formed.
Totally valid solution. However, consider the complexity of this solution and how many different people need to be onboard and working together for something like this to work. And then consider how difficult it is do something like this in Pakistan. I'm not trying to be Downer Dan and I personally don't like them but I feel a heaviness in my heart looking at the optimism in your solution and what really happens in Pakistan.

The key problem is that Azm is essentially a PAF project, it has not been declared as a national project, like the nuclear program was. Govts are too stupid and lack capacity to understand the significance of Azm and as such, there is no political ownership. Also, since it is an internal PAF thing and lacks transparency, the PAF can not be held accountable by anyone in the case that Azm doesn't work out.

If the govt was actually overseeing and directly funding this project, then specific deliverables would have been agreed upon and specific technical targets would need to have been met at certain intervals. In this environment, the PAF would have felt the need to step up its game and find creative ways to deliver (by collaborating with private sector, etc etc). Right now, it is just another project among the multitudes of projects vying for a chunk out of the PAF's own budget and just a step away from being axed due to changing priorities or the lack of vision by any future Air Chief. Indeed, if Azm gets stuck at some point and remains so for some time then that could give a good excuse to a future CAS to quietly kill the project. This is usually what happens in Pakistan.
Right. I keep harping on about how Azm needs to have bigger buy in than the nuclear program if we are to succeed. Very clearly, that is not so. Not even the armed forces are on board, let alone the entire civilian set up. As much as I hate that word, but we really do need "awareness" lol.

JF-17 was not designed and built by Pakistan. We just made a User Requirement Document and sent it to China along with some engineers who watched over the shoulders of their Chinese counterparts as the aircraft took shape. These engineers pointed out things which didn't match the requirements of the PAF and told the Chinese 'how it should be' and the Chinese went ahead and did it that way. Some engineers did take part in the actual work - software development, design, simulation, manufacturing and testing but when seen as part of the overall effort, their role comes out to be low and certainly not enough to help us in the NGFA. Besides, the JF-17 was developed nearly a generation ago - the PMO and the engineering personnel have mostly moved on.
Unfortunately, 99% people will not believe what you just wrote even though it's the version that makes most logical sense. What experience or knowledge did we have in the 90s that led us actively design and produce a jet? We want and expect miracles. Impossible you say? We will do it because of some magical luck. True in every sphere of life if you think about it. Hopeless optimists. This is not taking away anything from the JF17 program. It was a great a program that built our capacity in many ways. But it did not build it nearly enough to the point where we can design our own jet, let alone a FGFA.

I have not heard of the Air Cdr, but have read similar things in articles written by Dr AQ Khan. He wrote that early in the 1980s, around 60-70% of the salary of each KRL employee was converted to a tax-free 'project allowance' courtesy of GIK who was a Federal Secretary and on the controlling board for KRL. AQ Khan also mentions a daily shuttle service from Kahuta to Rwp to take the children of KRL employees to their schools/colleges/universities. These may sound like very trivial things to some, but these tiny conveniences provided by an organization to its employees build up morale tremendously.

Such morale and dedication can not be built by offering a contractual position to a fresh grad by taking advantage of his desperate need to find a job after graduation.
Bottom line: Just make them feel special, you don't need to give them salaries comparable to the west. Just make them feel special and wanted, and couple that with a decent pay.
The way Pakistan’s security and crime issues are along with the rotten system, no parent(and only parents will understand) wants their child to grow up in Pakistan unless they have a way to guarantee financial security along with social one. That is difficult to fight as a motive and will remain so unless Pakistan itself changes.
Funny. This is the exact same argument my brother makes to me whenever I tell him my desire to work in Pakistan. I do not have kids of my own, but with age I am beginning to understand this.

Da comrade :p:
I get the sense that the mission that you laid out is something which many of existing organizations should be doing. For example MoDP. Or even NESCOM. We do have a national tendency to keep making new organizations and structures instead of reforming old ones. Dolphin Force. Super Dolphin Force. Whale Force. CPEC force. Acceleration Force. sorry in a particular mood today lol.

What you say is true, but the reason that I am arguing against NGFA is that it is a HUGE program that in all likelihood Pakistan cannot afford to run at the required scale, for the required time. This is BIGGER than the nuclear program, much bigger. So I am arguing that instead of NGFA do things that are "NGFA adjacent" that PAF can actually run at the required scale for the required time.

This is a lesson that I have had to unlearn and relearn: Find the simplest problem and solve that first. As a young researcher (and still today sometimes) I also have the tendency to think "go big or go home" and start tackling the big picture problem. But everytime I get bogged down because there's simply too much going on and no human can analyze that. Maybe someday some super intelligent computer can but not me. So that's why I constantly try to find the simplest problem and then propose a solution for that. As an added benifit the proposed solution is also very simple (and thus more readily achievable).

Agreed. However, for the reason I described earlier, I think Sohail Aman could have made a more grounded vision for Azm. You shoot for the moon and end up in deep space forever lol.

Totally valid solution. However, consider the complexity of this solution and how many different people need to be onboard and working together for something like this to work. And then consider how difficult it is do something like this in Pakistan. I'm not trying to be Downer Dan and I personally don't like them but I feel a heaviness in my heart looking at the optimism in your solution and what really happens in Pakistan.

Right. I keep harping on about how Azm needs to have bigger buy in than the nuclear program if we are to succeed. Very clearly, that is not so. Not even the armed forces are on board, let alone the entire civilian set up. As much as I hate that word, but we really do need "awareness" lol.

Unfortunately, 99% people will not believe what you just wrote even though it's the version that makes most logical sense. What experience or knowledge did we have in the 90s that led us actively design and produce a jet? We want and expect miracles. Impossible you say? We will do it because of some magical luck. True in every sphere of life if you think about it. Hopeless optimists. This is not taking away anything from the JF17 program. It was a great a program that built our capacity in many ways. But it did not build it nearly enough to the point where we can design our own jet, let alone a FGFA.

Bottom line: Just make them feel special, you don't need to give them salaries comparable to the west. Just make them feel special and wanted, and couple that with a decent pay.

Funny. This is the exact same argument my brother makes to me whenever I tell him my desire to work in Pakistan. I do not have kids of my own, but with age I am beginning to understand this.
I agree.

The PAF ought to reorganize AZM into the following:
  • AZM 2030: Join a promising consortium (e.g., TAI TFX) and (as you said) an adjacent supporting program (e.g., munitions, subsystems, etc). However, within that framework, work on building up aircraft design, development and testing capacities. Basically, slowly shift PAC into a TAI-like company that doesn't vertically integrate into everything, but focuses on (1) aircraft design and development and (2) some production work (e.g., final assembly). However, like TAI, start shifting the manufacturing work to the Pakistani private sector so as to spur wider economic investment and growth (to absorb and cultivate local talent).

• AZM 2047/Kabootar: While working on the consortium, start the design and development of a successor to the JF-17 in the light/medium-weight aircraft tier. Through the TFX, Pakistan could have access to a lot of critical inputs -- e.g., TR Motor engine, GaN AESA radars and ECM, avionics stack, HMD/S, OBOGS, etc. Moreover, thanks to the consortium, Pakistan would also have a proper eco-system spanning across PAC and the private sector to support a new aircraft program. You can create bids across every subsystem to create market competition and, in turn, lower costs. The issue wouldn't be production, but more on design and development, which we would have developed through Vision 2030 for 10-15 years ahead of the next program.
Basically, the PAF should've recognized that Pakistan won't produce a fighter out of the blue in 10-15 years. We might be able to build the design and development capacity if we invest in it (HA HA), but we'd still lack the wider industrial inputs to localize content. So, you need 10-15 years (at least) to build design/development capacity and some respectable degree of wider industrial input. The best way to get in on both aspects is to join a consortium. TAI invited us to the TFX back in 2016, and we balked. So, we got no input in designing the TFX, but we may be able to negotiate a good co-production, investment and capacity building deal.

In 2030 the PAF could start thinking about replacing the JF-17 by 2047. However, by that point (via TFX) it'd have the inputs available (and some of which may even be manufactured in Pakistan to some extent). It would also have an economy somewhat ready and hungry for another big fighter program. Now, that's when things can roll into place, and we can move to original fighter design and development. Interestingly, things like digital engineering will have also advanced by that point, so the process could be easier (provided we build capacity by then through a consortium).

Project Kabootar let's gooooo
1631637559924.png

I agree.

The PAF ought to reorganize AZM into the following:
  • AZM 2030: Join a promising consortium (e.g., TAI TFX) and (as you said) an adjacent supporting program (e.g., munitions, subsystems, etc). However, within that framework, work on building up aircraft design, development and testing capacities. Basically, slowly shift PAC into a TAI-like company that doesn't vertically integrate into everything, but focuses on (1) aircraft design and development and (2) some production work (e.g., final assembly). However, like TAI, start shifting the manufacturing work to the Pakistani private sector so as to spur wider economic investment and growth (to absorb and cultivate local talent).

• AZM 2047/Kabootar: While working on the consortium, start the design and development of a successor to the JF-17 in the light/medium-weight aircraft tier. Through the TFX, Pakistan could have access to a lot of critical inputs -- e.g., TR Motor engine, GaN AESA radars and ECM, avionics stack, HMD/S, OBOGS, etc. Moreover, thanks to the consortium, Pakistan would also have a proper eco-system spanning across PAC and the private sector to support a new aircraft program. You can create bids across every subsystem to create market competition and, in turn, lower costs. The issue wouldn't be production, but more on design and development, which we would have developed through Vision 2030 for 10-15 years ahead of the next program.
Basically, the PAF should've recognized that Pakistan won't produce a fighter out of the blue in 10-15 years. We might be able to build the design and development capacity if we invest in it (HA HA), but we'd still lack the wider industrial inputs to localize content. So, you need 10-15 years (at least) to build design/development capacity and some respectable degree of wider industrial input. The best way to get in on both aspects is to join a consortium. TAI invited us to the TFX back in 2016, and we balked. So, we got no input in designing the TFX, but we may be able to negotiate a good co-production, investment and capacity building deal.

In 2030 the PAF could start thinking about replacing the JF-17 by 2047. However, by that point (via TFX) it'd have the inputs available (and some of which may even be manufactured in Pakistan to some extent). It would also have an economy somewhat ready and hungry for another big fighter program. Now, that's when things can roll into place, and we can move to original fighter design and development. Interestingly, things like digital engineering will have also advanced by that point, so the process could be easier (provided we build capacity by then through a consortium).

Project Kabootar let's gooooo
View attachment 777895
You're a policy guy so you're thinking ahead. Good plan. Now if only we can get the right people to listen.🤔

Any consortium worth joining will ask what can each participant bring to the table that will help the project. What unique assets might Pakistan bring to such an endeavor not already available to any such group?

Any consortium worth joining will ask what can each participant bring to the table that will help the project. What unique assets might Pakistan bring to such an endeavor not already available to any such group?
The only consortium interested (Turkey) wants Pakistan for economies-of-scale (i.e., a healthy PAF order). In fact, they don't have a reason to let Pakistan in except that this is a high-risk project and that (for the time being) Turkey is okay with being nice. However, the accommodating approach slipped from where it was in 2016 due to Pakistan's reluctance to join when the TFX was at its riskiest and most tentative. The more we wait, the less we'll get.

Back
Top Bottom