What's new

Featured Project Azm: Pakistan's Ambitious Quest to Develop 5th Generation Military Technologies.

If what you say is accurate then I would be a happy man. Given my limited interaction with the PAF years ago, i will say they have the ability as an institution to build some gems of men. Of all the services they do build more critical thinkers with imagination and vision, with the entrepreneurial engineering mind. Problem then and now is resources (money and focus), enough directional momentum by those "right types" of men over a sustained period of time, and institutional culture. I just hope that shine and luster has not ebbed but increased over time.
I got it from the horses mouth. Shahid lateef is a personal friend

For jf17 to replace f166we need more powerful engine plus big airframe which we can develop in further blocks eg for 4.5 generation next block of jf17 should be like thatView attachment 763610
Again engine??? Can you on your expert opinion tell me why the engine is underpowered or you have heard someone say Toyota corolla is the best car and so you want it

At first I was surprised that they were literally copying the design. Then I was like it's kind of typical Pakistani jugarh genius lol. We've never designed a jet from scratch before, it's best to start from something we know works, albeit without knowing the intricate details. Gives you a good starting point in terms of aerodynamics, shaping for stealth, configuration. Might be a good leapfrogging strategy.

But I wonder(and doubt) if there will be any takers for the "we've got a design, please help us make this" pitch they seem to be planning for. The folks at Azm need to go for a scale demonstrator that they build themselves to convince PAF itself and possible foreign takers.

The original YF-23 was destined for a 2+4 so that must be what Azm is going for.
So it's based off the YF-23 but has modifications and refinements. For example it will have DSI. Also it is sized specifically with two AL-31/WS-10 in mind. Also also, they're using the F16 as the aerodynamic performance benchmark. Also also also, not even wind tunnel tested yet, so all just digital guesswork at this point.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @SQ8

So it's based off the YF-23 but has modifications and refinements. For example it will have DSI. Also it is sized specifically with two AL-31/WS-10 in mind. Also also, they're using the F16 as the aerodynamic performance benchmark. Also also also, not even wind tunnel tested yet, so all just digital guesswork at this point.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @SQ8

I do hope they go for side inlets, or even dorsal inlets.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @SQ8
1627142217207.png

Perhaps a secondary, single engine fighter (as its primary role) should be developed along side this project. Similar to Russia’s checkmate along side the Su-57. Same engine, same sub-systems, just two similar air frames, but refined to their roles.

BTW, a variable cycle engine should be planned for Project AZM; an engine that flys in “economy” mode/maintain a steady cruise speed and minimal fuel usage, when just patrolling.

looking at the Canard variant...

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @SQ8
If they use something like Altair Hyperworks or others they can get closer to real life performance. The US NGAD greatest achievement isnt the 6th gen aircraft but that year long dev cycle from scratch to aero modelling to a prototype. That is the way of the future.

If they use something like Altair Hyperworks or others they can get closer to real life performance. The US NGAD greatest achievement isnt the 6th gen aircraft but that year long dev cycle from scratch to aero modelling to a prototype. That is the way of the future.

My dear friend .... america ... you know the one which came up with the NGAD so quickly ..... has an annual defense budget of $700 billion plus. If they couldn't manage to come up with a fighter so quick, then I don't know who could. Also, staying the american defense budget, it equates to around 30 countries' combined defense budgets, 27 of whom, are allies of america.

Perhaps a secondary, single engine fighter (as its primary role) should be developed along side this project. Similar to Russia’s checkmate along side the Su-57. Same engine, same sub-systems, just two similar air frames, but refined to their roles.

BTW, a variable cycle engine should be planned for Project AZM; an engine that flys in “economy” mode/maintain a steady cruise speed and minimal fuel usage, when just patrolling.

looking at the Canard variant...

Do we need second single engine 5th gen Stealth jet???, i don't thinks so sir

My dear friend .... america ... you know the one which came up with the NGAD so quickly ..... has an annual defense budget of $700 billion plus. If they couldn't manage to come up with a fighter so quick, then I don't know who could. Also, staying the american defense budget, it equates to around 30 countries' combined defense budgets, 27 of whom, are allies of america.
Before we let that usual excuse slide, was the budget of NGAD?

Air Force NGAD is budgeted at $9 billion from 2019 to 2025. They spent barely $1.5 billion from 2019 to 2020 to the first flight! NGAD has revolutionary tech that will change air warfare by leaps while AZM isn’t doing anything revolutionary.

So mon ami, these “miskeen” statements are good only if one made the best efforts in project design & management

Do we need second single engine 5th gen Stealth jet???, i don't thinks so sir

Your are entitled to your opinion. But, IMHO, But the Russian philosophy of a limited stealth single engine fighter, like the Checkmate, maybe capable enough, to limit the effectiveness of enemy air to air weapons, to get in close enough for PAF BVR tactics to be more useful.

The issue is that we don't have decades of wind tunnel data to ground our CFD on (which the US does). Until we do the first wind tunnel test we won't know whether our CFD is any good or not. I think this is a teething issue (identified internally and externally) and a wind tunnel program should be running in parallel to support the CFD efforts. Good news is that it is now on the cards.

Civilian institute involve hi nahi karte i dono how they will develop a eco system for fighter jets and their parts

Back
Top Bottom