What's new

Progoti eyes big as Japanese car imports drop

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Posted on May 10, 2011

http://www.daily-sun.com/?view=deta...202&cat_id=1&menu_id=3&news_type_id=1&index=0

Gets more land for expansion
Asif Showkat

The government is going to allocate more land to Progoti Industries Ltd for expanding its car assembling capacity as the state-owned venture eyes to increase its share in the local car market fallowing a fall in Japanese vehicle import.

In this regard, “Industry ministry has decided to provide 4.31 acres of land of Bangladesh Can Company Limited to Progoti to set up new machinery for the expansion of its automobile assembling capacity”, a senior ministry official said.

He also said Progoti will cash in on the opportunities brought by the tragic earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Japan, which has slashed car import from the traditional automobile importing destination of Bangladesh.

Vehicle production in Japan has already dropped by 53.6 per cent while its domestic consumption has also plummeted following the massive disaster in March this year which lashed havoc on life the economic activities in the third largest economy of the world.

“State-owned Progoti Industries Ltd will start assembling Pajero Sports car of Mitsubishi Motors from June this year while production of 1,300cc Sedan cars will begin from June 2012,” Industries Minister Dilip Barua told daily sun yesterday. For this, the state-owned industry badly needs land and equipment, he added.

He also said Bangladesh should produce automobile parts locally to save the foreign currency being spent on imports. “Land would be provided to Progoti as per the government’s plan to expand its capacity,” he said.

The industries ministry recently has asked the Privatisation Commission to drop the name of Bangladesh Can Company from its privatisation list as some portion of its land was handed over to Chittagong Nuclear Energy Centre and another portion would be handed over to Progoti.

The commission has also sent the proposal to the Cabinet Committee o Economic Affairs for its approval. It also has decided to exclude Bangladesh Can Company from the list of companies to be privatised.

The government started a project to assemble Sedan car Lancer Ex and Pajero sports vehicle in Bangladesh under a joint venture with Progoti Industries Ltd and Japanese automaker Mitsubishi Motors.

The Japanese carmaker is currently assembling Pajero Jeep V6 for Bangladesh under a deal with Progoti.

Presently, Bangladesh’s annual demand for car is around 30,000 units, dominated mostly by reconditioned Japanese cars.

Sedan car Lancer Ex and Pajero sports vehicle in Bangladesh under a joint venture with Progoti Industries Ltd and Japanese automaker Mitsubishi Motors.

Wait, they'll assemble the EX over here?:blink:
If they aren't lying then I'm putting my finger crossed for one!
This will be a hot cake on the streets if they tax down for
CKD vehicles.
lancer08_ex_02.jpg

Wait, they'll assemble the EX over here?:blink:
If they aren't lying then I'm putting my finger crossed for one!
This will be a hot cake on the streets if they tax down for
CKD vehicles.
lancer08_ex_02.jpg

If I am not wrong then price will be around 7 lakh taka... which will affordable to majority of the middle class people...:)

Assembled EX will not be around 7 lacs for sure.

Lancer EX currently stands at Tk. 2,400,000.

I don't know about Progoti. The Pajero now costs just as much as an imported Prado.

Pajero
Mitsubishi-Pajero.jpg

Land Cruiser Prado
2010-landcruiser-prado-1.jpg

Prices are above Tk. 10,000,000 for these vehicles, making such vehicles out of reach off the majority of Bangladeshi customers.

Automibile price is ridiculous in this country. When a CNG autorickshaw cost you 5-7 lacs, then you can imagine.

And see all the cheap news reporters and editors. They have a tendency of encouraging rickshaws and bus as they know their pay check will never be enough to buy a car of their own. So they are the enemies of privately owned cars..:angry:

Lancer EX currently stands at Tk. 2,400,000.

I don't know about Progoti. The Pajero now costs just as much as an imported Prado.

Pajero
Mitsubishi-Pajero.jpg

Land Cruiser Prado
2010-landcruiser-prado-1.jpg

Prices are above Tk. 10,000,000 for these vehicles, making such vehicles out of reach off the majority of Bangladeshi customers.

It depends upon the options, but a brand new PRADO may cost about $58,000 (about Tk. 4,292,000) in Japan. I think, the Tk. 10,000,000 price you have mentioned in BD is for an used Prado. PRADO must be highly taxed in BD. But, there are people there to buy them. BD is a strange country, where only a few holds money. Govt. keeps on increasing taxes, but it cannot stop people from buying cars so expensive.

It depends upon the options, but a brand new PRADO may cost about $58,000 (about Tk. 4,292,000) in Japan. I think, the Tk. 10,000,000 price you have mentioned in BD is for an used Prado. PRADO must be highly taxed in BD. But, there are people there to buy them. BD is a strange country, where only a few holds money. Govt. keeps on increasing taxes, but it cannot stop people from buying cars so expensive.

Pajero jeep made by progoti will cost 42 lakh where as the same made in japan jeep will cost around 1,00,00,000 to 1,20,00,000. So, made in bangladesh car will definitely have a good impact...

If I am not wrong then price will be around 7 lakh taka... which will affordable to majority of the middle class people...:)

Lancer Evo X cost near about 50 lakhs rupees in India, so it should be around 90 lakhs in Bangladeshi taka.

This is hell of a car and can challenge a Ferrari in a racetrack, m in deep love with this beauty. :smitten:

Lancer Evo X cost near about 50 lakhs rupees in India, so it should be around 90 lakhs in Bangladeshi taka.

This is hell of a car and can challenge a Ferrari in a racetrack, m in deep love with this beauty. :smitten:

Lancer EX and Evo X aren't the same I think. And TBH Evo X is over rated. I would take my twin turbo RX-7 over Evo's anyday.

Pajero jeep made by progoti will cost 42 lakh where as the same made in japan jeep will cost around 1,00,00,000 to 1,20,00,000. So, made in bangladesh car will definitely have a good impact...

Yes, exactly so. Assembled in Bangladesh will be much cheaper than the fully assembled imported ones. It is because of heavy taxation on fully assembled imported cars. I hope, when Pragoti starts assembling Lancer, it will get a quick market. I hope, Pragoti will assemble some of the Toyota cars. Toyota remains a jurisdiction of Navana motors. But, this company is not taking initiatives. Progoti or any other BD company can supersede Navana if it has the proper organizational set ups and a factory.

Then they are talking about the basic Lancer, Nah! I'm not interested. :coffee:

Yeah its the newer model. Looks sorta like EVO. Are they still selling the old model of Lancers in India? Their website still has the older models.

lancer_sx_sedan.jpg

Lancer SX

Bangladeshi market is not ripe for Lancer Evo X that can chase or outchase a ferrari. Pragoti should assemble a Lancer family car with as many options as it can be filled with. However, young and rich people like you will certainly like the one with high gear. I hope, Pragoti will assemble a few for them, too on special order. But, where is the road to play with these cars in Bangladesh?

Then they are talking about the basic Lancer, Nah! I'm not interested. :coffee:

Lancer EX and EVO looks quite the same exept
the front grill mesh and it takes 50,000tk to
place some kits and convert it to evo .
Though when it comes to performance
the difference is mind boggling.

With a difference of 130hp its bound to happen
anyways. Evo costs around 58lacs for a new one
and 45lacs for pre-owned(reconditioned)2009+ models.

This is hell of a car and can challenge a Ferrari in a racetrack,

Well its true but remember ferraris are
naturally aspirated cars without turbos that
screams so loud at 10k rpm that bystanders
wet their pants.
Thats why I love Honda Vtec(typeR) and mazda
engines without turbos.

Anyways EX will do fine, it looks quite awesome.

Back
Top Bottom