What's new

President Pervez Musharraf’s big charm offensive is charming and sometimes offensive

Nafees

Reaction score
Source: Times Online

“I read in your papers that I am here on a charm offensive — yes, I am.” That was the opening gambit from President Pervez Musharraf yesterday, delivered with a grin, in the final hours of his week-long tour of Europe. His circuit of Brussels, Paris, Davos and London was designed to repair the damage done by a year of constitutional crisis and by eight years of military rule. It is hard to say that it did.

True, he delivered all the reassurances that the West could want: on the immoveability of the February 18 parliamentary elections; the protection of Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal; his willingness to work with an elected government; his belief in freedom of speech. But he qualified these to the point where they were suspect, or skated over objections.

Yesterday’s performance before the mirrored walls of the Dorchester Hotel’s Orchid Room showed why he was once such a tempting candidate for the West to back, and why it has been disappointed. “We are for democracy, human rights, anything that you have and maybe we don’t have,” he said. But asked about the independence of judges, whose challenge to his military rule triggered the crisis, he said, “We are not living in London, we are living in Pakistan, in a very turbulent area,” and derided purists who “think that it is important to be theoretical”.

He certainly looks the part of a Western-friendly leader. He was poised, cordial and joking, in an immaculate dark suit, part of a wardrobe of impeccable urbanity on display since he was forced to step down as head of the Army and shed his uniform. His aides are always attentive to his staging; on a previous trip they had rejected the Dorchester’s blue-and-gold armchairs as inappropriately floral. This time, as police sniffer dogs scrabbled over the parquet floor, a dozen men looked in a troubled way at a crimson chair, regal but low-seated, before summoning a higher one.

But any impression that the President might be above the fray was dispelled by the handout of 13 pages of accusations against Iftikhar Chaudhry, Pakistan’s former Chief Justice, whom he suspended in March. It included a five-page letter to William Neukom, president of the US Bar Association, complaining that Mr Chaudhry had been guilty of “misuse of a large fleet of official cars” and “use of large cavalcades of protocol vehicles not allowed under the rules which were a constant cause of inconvenience to the public”. Mr Musharraf maintained that the “judiciary is totally independent”, despite sacking Mr Chaudhry and eight other Supreme Court judges in November when they refused to back the state of emergency. Critics say that he acted to pre-empt the court’s decision that his re-election in September was unconstitutional. “The judges who are there are the same that there were, except that there are a few individuals who are not,” said Mr Musharraf.

Challenged on why leading lawyers remain under house arrest, he said: “They are all free, no problem. But if any person wants to use his freedom for anarchy and agitation, no, that person will not be free.” Referring to the protests on his British visit, in which Imran and Jemima Khan took part, he said that Britain ought to crack down more on terrorists.

The most valuable parts of Mr Musharraf’s tenure since he seized power in a 1999 coup have been his action against terrorism and promotion of social development, which he speaks about with passion. This is why Britain and the US backed him so warmly. But although he maintains that he is tackling terrorism “holistically . . . with a military element, a political element, and a social element”, his weakness has been in choking off the political.

He boasted of “multilayered controls” over Pakistan’s nuclear weapons, and argued that the only way extremists could get control would be if they won elections or if they defeated the Army; the chance of either was zero, he said. But it isn’t. Pakistan’s strength has been that religious groups have had little support, but it is rising. He also skated around army extremism.

He rejected the “aspersions and insinuations” that his military had played a part in Benazir Bhutto’s assasination on December 27. “Someone had the audacity to say it in public — that I had blood on my hands — and I had to control myself, which of course I did.” He maintained — at odds with Ms Bhutto’s doctors — that she was killed by “an injury to the skull”.

That may be unproveable, despite the efforts of Scotland Yard detectives, which he said he appreciated. But it was tasteless to rebut charges that he had given her inadequate security by pointing to the length of time she survived on the day she was killed. “She came to the location — safe! She addressed the crowd there — safe! She got into her bullet-proof car — safe!”

Mr Musharraf himself has survived a long time, from the extremists who want to kill him and from the roiling pressures of September 11. Yesterday, as he extended his talk with a final diatribe (against an unpleasant provincial chief) to the point of jeopardising his meeting with Gordon Brown, the sense was of a leader who wanted a modern future for Pakistan, but has been so easily provoked by personal dislikes that he lost the perspective to deliver it.

An interesting article and worth reading. Mush really has no answer to his dealing of the judiciary. It was plain simple wrong. The arguments for CJs dismissal are ill founded and silly. Why not put a curb on his cavalcade if you have such an objection to it rather than firing him for it. He had given the press a free hand but things got a bit too hot as they do for someone who has been in power for 7-8 yrs. His response was the emergency---wrong again me thinks. He did not think this one out and is suffering the consequences of it. I also do not know why we could not have had elections without the likes of BB and NS.Leadership would have emerged eventually and some legitimacy would have remained, and I do not think people in Pakistan would have cared either. Ihave seen a weakness in his Governance on 2 other occasions as well. One was the Bugti incident and the second was post 9/11 the way in which he melted in front of the American pressure.
However overall things have been much better than before in Pakistan and I feel we should give him credit for that. His team of technocrats have really done us proud. I can only hope theimpetus will continue post elections and the country becomes a safe place to live and trade.
Araz

An interesting article and worth reading. Mush really has no answer to his dealing of the judiciary. It was plain simple wrong. The arguments for CJs dismissal are ill founded and silly.

He's bang on the mark with the answer to the judiciary. Remember he's not referring to the first dismissal of the CJ here (which was completely constitutional). He's referring to when, just before the crisis he fired a load of judges that were going to hinder the electoral process by making it illegal for him to be president. Do you honestly believe that the CJ and some of the other judges in Pakistan would have been doing the country a favour by making it illegal for Musharraf to remain President till the elections? It was a national security risk imo. He already has been too lenient with Pakistani institutions. Soon as he took a strong swipe, and wiped out the judiciary, imposed martial law and curfews, none of these childish kiddie-mentalitied lawyers dared move or pass wind outside of their offices. Why? Simply because they are cowards who know Pakistani police will not do anything to them. No riots occurred, no damage to property. That is the only way these kids in suits will listen to law & order. Musharraf needs to be harsher with these irresponsible, cowardly lawyers and journalists.

He's bang on the mark with the answer to the judiciary. Remember he's not referring to the first dismissal of the CJ here (which was completely constitutional). He's referring to when, just before the crisis he fired a load of judges that were going to hinder the electoral process by making it illegal for him to be president. Do you honestly believe that the CJ and some of the other judges in Pakistan would have been doing the country a favour by making it illegal for Musharraf to remain President till the elections? It was a national security risk imo. He already has been too lenient with Pakistani institutions. Soon as he took a strong swipe, and wiped out the judiciary, imposed martial law and curfews, none of these childish kiddie-mentalitied lawyers dared move or pass wind outside of their offices. Why? Simply because they are cowards who know Pakistani police will not do anything to them. No riots occurred, no damage to property. That is the only way these kids in suits will listen to law & order. Musharraf needs to be harsher with these irresponsible, cowardly lawyers and journalists.

Spot on mate.

Just like to add that the lawyers behaved like animals with no sense of morality destroying public and police property and bad mouthing the army to boot. I do not want a corrupt CJ of Pakistan that does not know his own boundaries.

Roadrunner my friend,
The point is that His second appointment is nonconstitutional and therefore there was no other way but to declare it illegal. As to whether the country would have been thrown into crisis, Sorry my friend I beg to differ. We have lost many a leaders and recovered, and I assure you that PM,s departure would have been no different. All that would have happened, would have been a Government of National concensus(spp?) and elections under the jurisdiction of the courts. Pretty much where we are -- Minus the courts which are run by cronies of PM.
As a matter of principle, It is indeed unfortunate that a country looses focus to such an extent that it cannot survive without one person. PM is not the be all do all of Pakistan. At the end of the day the people have to decide what becomes of our country, and Musharraf is certainly not the total answer to Pakistans problems.
WaSalam
Araz

Back
Top Bottom