What's new

President may free condemned Christian woman

compak

Reaction score
ISLAMABAD—Pakistan’s president may pardon a Christian woman facing a death sentence for blasphemy against Islam, officials said Saturday, as the mother of four tearfully denied the charge in interviews.

The case of Asia Bibi has drawn appeals from Pope Benedict XVI and human rights groups to free her. She was sentenced to death earlier this month.

Bibi appeared in a televised interview at her prison Saturday, protesting her innocence to reporters and maintaining the case stemmed from a personal dispute.

“It was just the outcome of a rivalry. I would never even think of blasphemy,” she said weeping. “I have small children. For God’s sake, please set me free.”

The verdict has drawn attention to Pakistan’s blasphemy laws, which critics say are used to persecute Christian and other minorities and fan extremism. They are also often exploited to settle personal scores.

Shahbaz Bhatti, Pakistan’s minister for minority affairs, said Saturday that President Asif Ali Zardari has asked for a report on the case and has the power to pardon Bibi.

“The president has taken notice of this case … he is concerned on this issue,” Bhatti said, adding that Zardari has the power to pardon her even ahead of the court appeal.

Gov. Salman Taseer of Punjab province, where Bibi is held, told reporters in a televised conference he believes Zardari will soon pardon her.

“I am going to take this petition to president and president will forgive her,” he said.

http://www.dailypress.com.pk/?p=2241

It doesn't matter if she's freed because another person will become victim of this unPakistani law the next time until it is repealed for ever.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if she's freed because another person will become victim of this unPakistani law the next time until it is repealed for ever.

True but still our first priority is to make sure that she is not harmed or punished. She will need protection even after her release. In my opinion she should be shifted to some other place.

As for that infamous law, Political parties are afraid to touch that law because of the pressure from our religious "toola". For PPP, to speak of ill of that law will be a political suicide. Question is that who will bell the cat?

ISLAMABAD—Pakistan’s president may pardon a Christian woman facing a death sentence for blasphemy against Islam, officials said Saturday, as the mother of four tearfully denied the charge in interviews.

The case of Asia Bibi has drawn appeals from Pope Benedict XVI and human rights groups to free her. She was sentenced to death earlier this month.

Bibi appeared in a televised interview at her prison Saturday, protesting her innocence to reporters and maintaining the case stemmed from a personal dispute.

“It was just the outcome of a rivalry. I would never even think of blasphemy,” she said weeping. “I have small children. For God’s sake, please set me free.”

The verdict has drawn attention to Pakistan’s blasphemy laws, which critics say are used to persecute Christian and other minorities and fan extremism. They are also often exploited to settle personal scores.

Shahbaz Bhatti, Pakistan’s minister for minority affairs, said Saturday that President Asif Ali Zardari has asked for a report on the case and has the power to pardon Bibi.

“The president has taken notice of this case … he is concerned on this issue,” Bhatti said, adding that Zardari has the power to pardon her even ahead of the court appeal.

Gov. Salman Taseer of Punjab province, where Bibi is held, told reporters in a televised conference he believes Zardari will soon pardon her.

“I am going to take this petition to president and president will forgive her,” he said.

President may free condemned Christian woman | Daily Press

So going by that logic,Geelani and Arundhati Roy must also be sentenced to death!

We think that by adorning us with the vestaments of a theocratic state, we are somehow fulfilling the promise of Pakistan. Unfortunately, these clothes do not even exist, and the emperor is naked underneath.

Pakistan must get rid of such rubbish which has been collected under the guise of islamisation and burn it, or swoon with the intensity of the stench.

The namoose risalat laws are a mockery of justice and a slap on the face of humanity, not to mention various islamic norms.

It is common sense to pardon her so i see no reason he won't. Change these failed and backward laws from Zia's time because they are hurting Pakistan.

I still think it will take time. Some parties may take it to higher court and the process gets lengthy.

Yes, Mullah jeez said that they will retaliate.

You know, danda fasad, Mullahs fav past time.

I wonder if zardari may forgive her because of international condemnation and a potentional backlash from outside which will put pakistan once again under the spotlight? i might be wrong but that is my personal guess!! If this theory is correct, i wonder why we people dont change our flawed laws for our own sake and for the good of our own people? Awhile ago a man who converted to christianity in AFghanistan was sentenced to death and he was freed later on just because of outside pressure, another young man who was only putting questions in front of his religious teachers was also sentenced(not sure if it was death or a long term prison), he was also freed after outside pressure was applied.

I wonder if zardari may forgive her because of international condemnation and a potentional backlash from outside which will put pakistan once again under the spotlight? i might be wrong but that is my personal guess!! If this theory is correct, i wonder why we people dont change our flawed laws for our own sake and for the good of our own people? Awhile ago a man who converted to christianity in AFghanistan was sentenced to death and he was freed later on just because of outside pressure, another young man who was only putting questions in front of his religious teachers was also sentenced(not sure if it was death or a long term prison), he was also freed after outside pressure was applied.

Its international pressure which resulted in this action. Otherwise our politicians do not have the guts to challenge such verdicts involving religion and religious laws.

Back
Top Bottom