What's new

Premier quits after landslide KMT defeat

My grandfather and grandmother, when they were still alive, had a statue of him in the corner of their house. My grandmother was very superstitious like that, refer to him as: (三界伏魔大神威遠震天尊關聖帝君). He conquers demons, devils, prevents evil presence from coming to the house. Just interesting to see that.

For your sake, Japanese style!

As to bringing out Guang Yu, its is common in Taiwan, its part of their Guang Gong culture there.

If you also notice at 1:06, those two guys are mimicking Guang Yu ?

I don't think those 2 guys were mimicking Guan Yu, perhaps inviting dance? Anyway i have never seen this custom in hk or guangdong, most likely typically found in Taiwan. As for Guan Yu statue it can be found in some households, also in villages you can sometimes find 2 door guardians posters sticked on the door for keeping evil spirits outside.

I don't think those 2 guys were mimicking Guan Yu, perhaps inviting dance? Anyway i have never seen this custom in hk or guangdong, most likely typically found in Taiwan. As for Guan Yu statue it can be found in some households, also in villages you can sometimes find 2 door guardians posters sticked on the door for keeping evil spirits outside.

Exactly. Have the poster at the main door of my place, as well.

The new mayor of Taipei Ko Wen-je, is a scion of 228 victim.

Ko Wen-je - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kowenje-ap-net1_0.jpg

:woot: you do? i didn't think you were living in a village

Dude, its not a 'village' thing. Its common in more traditional Chinese families. Remember Taiwan is very much repository of old Chinese culture and social customs, it was not affected like mainland China during the cultural revolution.

In Taiwan, it very much still has the 'Old China' feel to it. For example, during a funeral, its common still in Taiwan for people to hire mourners, and hire traditional music for the spirit of the dead. This is not something that is common in mainland anymore.

There are 2 areas outside mainland China that this is still commonplace:

1) Taiwan
2) Singapore

Taiwan Funeral-7 - YouTube

For your sake, Japanese style!

Thanks!

In Japan people do worship Guang Yu, but he is known as 'Kan U Byo' (Kanteibyo)

There is a famous Temple to Lord Kan U Byo in Yokohama:

Kanteibyo_Entrance_detail_7726[1].jpg

This one is a Temple for Lord Kan U Byo in Kobe:
KanteibyoTemple_7730[1].jpg

The Gates:

Goodwill_Gate_detail_7683[1].jpg

Lord Kan U Byo Shrine:
KanteibyoTemple_Int_7760[1].jpg

Dude, its not a 'village' thing. Its common in more traditional Chinese families. Remember Taiwan is very much repository of old Chinese culture and social customs, it was not affected like mainland China during the cultural revolution.

In Taiwan, it very much still has the 'Old China' feel to it. For example, during a funeral, its common still in Taiwan for people to hire mourners, and hire traditional music for the spirit of the dead. This is not something that is common in mainland anymore.

1) Taiwan
2) Singapore

Yes. It is also a common sight in Taiwan where restaurants and other small businesses have a small 神桌 in the corner.

But I guess this does not necessarily mean that culture is better protected in those areas. I tend to see the overall (big) picture. Overall, Taiwan is probably more Westernized.

The new addition to the Metropolitan Park in TP, as I remember, has a huge metal structure for kids to play and the windows are built in the shape of a cross. What the ****?

Yes. It is also a common sight in Taiwan where restaurants and other small businesses have a small 神桌 in the corner.

But I guess this does not necessarily mean that culture is better protected in those areas. I tend to see the overall (big) picture. Overall, Taiwan is probably more Westernized.

The new addition to the Metropolitan Park in TP, as I remember, has a huge metal structure for kids to play and the windows are built in the shape of a cross. What the ****?

Interesting ! When Last time i was in Taipei, I really noticed one thing about Taiwanese people that they are traditional in how they greet people (perhaps now the newer generation are different!), but when i was there, my friend invited me to the local temple. So interesting to see people in my generation in Taiwan still go to temple.

Going back to Guang Yu Shrines, i remember the priests refer to him as:
三界伏魔大神威遠震天尊關聖帝君 , if i translate this Kanji script, does this not mean: Saintly Emperor Guan the Great God Who Subdues Demons of the Three Worlds and Whose Awe Spreads Far and Moves Heaven ? Is it close?

The new mayor of Taipei Ko Wen-je, is a scion of 228 victim.

Ko Wen-je - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kowenje-ap-net1_0.jpg

He's not even the primary pick for DPP, tho. The DPP-picked candidate was 姚文智, but 姚文智 was defeated by Ko. So thus DPP picked and supported Ko. Ko is an independent.

Btw, why do you keep on reiterating 228 incident? Judge a man based on his policies, his choices, not on the decisions and life experiences of his ancestors.

Be objective, dude. :tdown:

1) Taiwan
2) Singapore

The door guardians is typical a village thing in HK and hiring of mourners with traditional music can still be found in HK.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom