What's new

Powerful Pakistan Women Wearing Sarees - Then & Now

460,000 children under five years of age die annually in Pakistan: report

ISLAMABAD: The mortality rate of children under five years of age stands at 89 deaths per 1,000 live births in Pakistan, and an estimated 460,000 such children die

each year in the country, one of the biggest rates in South Asia.

Around 30 percent of children in Pakistan are chronically malnourished, and 2.1 million babies are born in the country with severe intellectual impairment caused by iodine deficiency.According to a report launched by the Society for the Protection of the Rights

of the Child (SPARC), the recent statistics of the World Health Organization (WHO) are higher, indicating that 33.3 percent of children under five as being underweight.

It is estimated that 35 percent of the diseases that burden children under-five are linked with malnutrition.Talking to APP, Child Rights Coordinator, Shaista Kiran, said the first two years of a child’s life were particularly important as optimal nutrition during this period would lead to reduced morbidity and mortality, reduced risk of chronic diseases and better development overall.

According to the UN Convention on the Rights of Child (UNCRC), every infant and child has the right to good nutrition.Globally, 30 percent of children under-five are estimated to be stunted, and 18 percent have low weight for height, mostly as a consequence of poor feeding and repeated infections.

Shaista Kiran said that the government had aimed at ensuring a 100 percent availability of iodized salt in the market by 2015.Recent floods in the country also resulted in the loss of food crops which further worsened the food security situation in addition to increased incidents of water-borne diseases such as diarrhoea, which also contributes to malnourishment.According to the statistics, nearly 126,000 of the total number of children under five years of age affected by floods are at risk of being severely malnourished.

460,000 children under five years of age die annually in Pakistan: report - thenews.com.pk

WOW. Just WOW.

sorry my friend i think that is 58%.

Pakistan: Still one of the worst places in the world to be a woman

According to the World Bank, women’s literacy remains low at 42%. The ratio of young literate females to males (age 15-24) is 74.85%.

KARACHI: Gender equalities remain pronounced in Pakistan; in a region that has among the poorest gender equality records in the world. There has been recent progress in increasing the rates of women’s political representation – thanks to reservation of seats for women in Parliament and local bodies – and in the raising the average age of girls at marriage and first birth, both of which are now above the regional average (UNICEF 2011).
Yet, stark gender gaps persist in education, health and across economic sectors. According to the World Bank, women’s literacy remains low at 42%. The ratio of young literate females to males (age 15-24) is 74.85%. Only Afghanistan has a lower ratio. In 2008, Pakistan’s infant mortality rate and percentage of births attended by skilled health staff was worse than the South Asian average (73 vs 59 per 1,000 live births; and 39 vs 42 percent, respectively) ; while its total fertility rate was higher than the regional average (3.9 vs 2.9 births per woman). Thankfully this has fallen since then and now Pakistan has a fertility rate that is lower than most of its neighbours.
Given these challenges to their human capital development, women face severe constraints to their access to services in most sectors, and in their income-earning opportunities. Pakistan’s female labour force participation is lower than the regional average. The rate of women’s borrowing from Microfinance institutions is lower than any other South Asian country, including Afghanistan. Keeping in mind that women make up more than half of Pakistan’s population, this is a serious economic drawback.
Pakistan’s Second Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper has recognised that gender disparities pose a critical constraint to achieving country development objectives. The Country Partnership Strategy 2010-13, which is a WB initiative, works to help organise efforts and initiatives that help to restore some of the gender balance. According to the report, it now goes beyond emphasising gender in the context of human development and social protection. This is in part due to the influence of the 2010 Pakistan Gender-Sensitive Portfolio Review, which ascertained the degree to which gender was addressed across sectors – in 24 existing and 26 pipeline operations in the World Bank’s portfolio at the time. The Review found human development sectors to be significantly more advanced than economic sectors in their attention to gender issues and recommended common approaches for economic sectors to improve this situation.
Pakistan is still far from ideal when it comes to addressing gender inequality issues but there are significant efforts on the ground that may have more of an impact in the years to come. For example according to the World Bank’s Country Strategy partnership Reports 2010-2014 for Pakistan, research from 2011 reveals how Social Protection projects bring numerous benefits to women and children in vulnerable groups. Programmes that transfer cash to poor women – such as the Benazir Income Support Program that gives Rs1,000 Pakistan rupees a month to female heads of poor households – have been shown to improve these women‘s decision-making power. When these women have greater decision-making power, they are more likely to use reproductive health services; moreover, household investments shift from transportation and food to medical care, education, fuel and lighting, and footwear and clothing.
But more needs to be done than just increasing women’s representation in parliament. That alone will not be enough, especially if these women are unable to be a catalyst for change that will trickle downwards.

Pakistan: Still one of the worst places in the world to be a woman – The Express Tribune

India has 1,825,000 children deaths per year, worst in the world. 5000 children de everyday in India

And India is worst place for women according to NYtimes

Shalwar Kameez is an Indian dress too. Its worn all over India. Not only by Indian Muslims, but Indian Hindus and Christians and Sikhs as well.
Also, its not an Islamic dress. It is also the traditional dress of Sikhs.
Yes, many Indian women don't wear Sari anymore but many of them don't even wear shalwar suit (In India women call it a suit. Don't know why) anymore. They wear Western clothes. However, when it comes to formal occasions, all kinds of women wear sarees and that too very expensive ones :(.

However,
Since last five years Indian women have stopped wearing sari.

They have all adopted to Pakistani dress, kurta & shalwar/trouser.

Nice to know that the Indian outfit is so popular in Pakistan.

Indian outfits are popular to some extent but unfortunately, indians are moving toward natural dressing like Sherlyn, Leone........

Sarees are worn by old women in Lahore and Sindh... My grandmother wears saree

that's y ugly women won 2nd highest number of beauty contest compare to our [U]eastern neighbour[/U] smelly burqa wearing ,big nose fatty women .:azn:where 64% women are ilieterate .

WOW. Just WOW.

No worries mate, he is talking about some eastern neighbour.....As far as my understanding of geography goes, I believe Pakistan is on the western side.

saree is popular in south india....:)

India has 1,825,000 children deaths per year, worst in the world. 5000 children de everyday in India

And India is worst place for women according to NYtimes
Also around 1lakh births everyday........:)

No worries mate, he is talking about some eastern neighbour.....As far as my understanding of geography goes, I believe Pakistan is on the western side.

Probably dizzy due to the rapid-fire repartee. Doesn't know whether he's coming or going?

Beautiful :smitten::pakistan:

I think Chinese designers should introduce them to China, maybe with some modification.

u are right women wear cloth according to their region but in function ,party ,marriage 90% women wear saree i prefer saree over salwar kameez any day any time.
conversations630.jpg
More than 90% of women in Punjab,J&K,Himachal and Northern Parts of Rajasthan and Haryana only wear salwar kameez..... Previously women used to wear Ghahgra (over salwar) also but now it's not widespread.

CLOTHES of CULTURE

TIME is not far when our future generations will believe that their apparels were always mass produced under a brand, in some distant Chinese factory. Unless, textile histories are written, or, are preserved in museums to showcase the richness of a tradition that was elaborate and highly personalised, our crafts and traditions will be lost forever.

In Punjab, there was a tradition of wearing ghagra over salwar kameez, when ladies stepped out of the house. My mother would often ride a horse to visit nearby places, wearing those layers of clothing. When I was growing up, I was fascinated by these stories I heard from the elders in the family. At that time commuting from one part of Punjab to another was difficult, and was done on foot or on horses, as trains were few.

My mother would wear ghagra, when she would start from home, but finding it cumbersome to walk or ride, she would remove it as soon as she was out of the village. One day she confessed to my grandmother and asked for her permission to leave it behind. When my grandmother agreed, it was the end of my mother’s ghagra wearing days.

Twenty five yards of a skirt

Ghagras were used as a formal wear and it was customary to wear them when women stepped out of the house. They removed it as soon as they came home, like Muslim women remove a burqua. It formed part of manotties (gifts for the bridegroom’s family) at the time of muklava.(when the bride goes to her husband’s home ). The most common material used for making ghagras was malmal or muslin. The edge was always finished with either a row of pin tucks ,embroidery, gota or simply by putting a border of daryai (kind of cloth).The malmal ghagra was then starched (maandi) along with mica or vark which would shine in the sun. Vark was like thin layers of stiff paper which was crushed and added to maandi (starch). Other materials used for ghagras were Hari-shael ,which has references in folk tales and folk songs, laddha, saatan (satin), embroidered phulkari , parachute cloth etc. Parachute cloth was a silky material and perhaps similar to the textile used to make parachutes. For formal occasions the ghagra was made of expensive material with some embellishments like gota or embroidery.

Many Punjabi women would vouch for having with them family heirloom — old ghagras of phulkari, made with khaddar dyed in deep vegetable colours and embroidered with bright colours. Ghagras of Punjab were different from that of Rajasthan, or, other parts of India. While others were more structured and shaped to give it a curve, the ones from Punjab were merely a piece of clothing which could vary in length from 9 to 25 yards depending upon the thickness of the fabric. It was just strung with a decorative cord or naara (ezarband).

The tale of phulkari

Phulkaris — which have been the most well known textile of Punjab mainly due to its vibrant colours and its beauty has been mentioned in our folk songs, folk lore and are still used for marriage rituals. The khaddar fabric on which phulkaris were embroidered, were either deep indigo blue or madder dyed to a deep reddish brown. Phulkaris are still being made in large numbers, but the work is different from the traditional phulkari known to us. The home spun khaddar fabric has been replaced by more trendy fabrics. Although the embroidery is not the same, the consolation is, at least the craft is kept alive.

Daris were flat woven cotton rugs which were made in almost every household. These doubled up for bedding or as floor coverings. These boldly patterned daris often had blue and white bold geometric designs. These are still being made in certain pockets of Punjab.

Natural dyeing practices are almost non existent in Punjab today. However they are still being practiced in other parts of India. These processes are lengthy and laborious and therefore more time consuming and expensive.

Women somehow do not have a lot of free time to engage themselves in textile arts. Some of the craft traditions like khes, naaras, daris are made in very small numbers. There are multiple reasons for the decline of these crafts. However, there is need for us to work towards preserving our craft traditions, or, we would be narrating the fable of these traditions to our grandchildren.

This is what my grandmother(dadi) used to wear as clothing, a light coloured shirt ( or whatever they call it)and an ankle length Ghaghra and Salwar Kameez.
haryanadress.jpg

More than 90% of women in Punjab,J&K,Himachal and Northern Parts of Rajasthan and Haryana only wear salwar kameez..... Previously women used to wear Ghahgra (over salwar) also but now it's not widespread.

CLOTHES of CULTURE

This is what my grandmother(dadi) used to wear as clothing, a light coloured shirt ( or whatever they call it)and an ankle length Ghaghra and Salwar Kameez.
haryanadress.jpg

they are vary small part of india.80-90% indian women not wear salwaar kameez in big function.and i am agree with guru saree suite(Ghahgra) indian women compare to salwaar kameez.

Back
Top Bottom