What's new

Powerful Pakistan Women Wearing Sarees - Then & Now

Nice to know that the Indian outfit is so popular in Pakistan.

Sari is not an Indian outfit.Apart from India saree is also the traditional dress of women of Bangladesh, Nepal & Sri Lanka. Pakistani women also used to wear it and then given up I think during the 80s.

Sari is not an Indian outfit.Apart from India saree is also the traditional dress of women of Bangladesh, Nepal & Sri Lanka. Pakistani women also used to wear it and then given up I think during the 80s.
I think there is a difference between traditional outfit and famous (or common) one. But hey, whatever.

I think there is a difference between traditional outfit and famous (or common) one. But hey, whatever.

But even in India, I think Saree is loosing out to Salwar, Jeans , Kurta in India.

^^only because of its "ease of use factor"..shalwar KAmeez is lame unless real tight and sleek the baggy crap is really appalling.

Sarres are cumbersome and require constant touching. Though is used in almost all formal occasions.

But even in India, I think Saree is loosing out to Salwar, Jeans , Kurta in India.

Yes it is loosing out, because it is not easy to handle, Now women work in public place, they don't have enough time to wrap saari and manage it...

But trust me Women like to wear saari on almost all special ocasion, be it marriage or Party. My Office Gals wear saari on all special occasions..

A word about the sari culture in Pakistan. Saris are less commonly worn than the Shalwar kameez which is worn throughout the country. Because of its long association with the Hindu culture and it exposing the midriff and navel, sari are considered to be against the injunctions of Islam and as a 'Hindu dress'. Many Islamic right-wing elements have pressed on a move to ban saris.

However, the sari remains a popular garment among the upper class for many formal functions. The sari is worn as daily wear by Pakistani Hindus, by elderly Muslim women who were used to wearing it in pre-partition India and by some of the new generation who have reintroduced the interest in saris. The growing popularity of the sari among Pakistan's fashion-conscious elite is due to another bete noire of conservatives — Bollywood movies and television serials.

The Nation, an English-language newspaper published from Lahore reported, "The Indian electronic media have played an important role in promoting the sari culture in Pakistan. Now Pakistani actresses on TV channels are being seen wearing saris, especially young women."

Saris may be ok in Pakistan provided the women avoid exposing their midriffs and navels in deference to the tenets of Islam.

I think Religion must strict itself to one limit. Including religion in everything is not good. It yields Fanaticism...

Excess of anything is Bad,Religion is not exception to this law.

Yes it is loosing out, because it is not easy to handle, Now women work in public place, they don't have enough time to wrap saari and manage it...

But trust me Women like to wear saari on almost all special ocasion, be it marriage or Party. My Office Gals wear saari on all special occasions..

I think Hospitality Industry still stresses on Saree and in my place Saree is a must for teachers.

Begum Nawazish ali is a MAN..... He dress as women for his show

34854415.jpg

Naushad Bhai,

I know he was born a man. That is why, in the original post, I made a reference to the "alternative San Francisco lifestyle".

Ali Saleem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He has called himself "gay, bisexual, and transexual". So if he now says he is now a woman, who are we to argue?

Apnay deen par chal raha hay, chalta rahay....

Huh?? Begum Nawazish Ali?? Who is that?? I think most powerful women in Pakistan is Khar

Icewolf Bhai,

You can look up Begum Ali on the web to see who she is.

As for Begum Rabbani-Khar, I am afraid our media is making a mockery of her. I don't think that would happen if she were really the most-powerful woman in our country. You can see they all make fun of Khar in print and on TV:
Does your foreign minister own a Birkin? – The Express Tribune Blog

GEO Tv make fun of Hina Rabbani Khar - YouTube

Don't know about other cities but in Karachi, sarees are pretty common in formal events. But you won't see sarees being worn as an "everyday outfit".

The saRhi fell out of favour way before the 80s as more women in Pk stepped into the workforce and became confident in wearing the qamees shalwaar to evenings. The women I knew that wore saRhis to occasions till the 90s have now stopped too. The damn thing is just too cumbersome.

There's a second reason that i didn't put first for the fear of the India vs pakistan mud slinging fest, and that is, most of the women that live and lived in pakistan don't wear saris as their everyday clothes anyway, unlike Bangladeshi and Saraandeepi/SriLankan women. So it was easier to give up.

I think Religion must strict itself to one limit. Including religion in everything is not good. It yields Fanaticism...
Excess of anything is Bad,Religion is not exception to this law.
You're too seasoned to be saying something this naïve.

Somebody makes the trafic light and expects that it does its job well. Someone created us and we show Him the middle fin... . What that job is, isn't like going to the cinema - you do it once in a while. To call something all-pervasive a religion and reduce it to a hobby IS an excess (beyond our rights), instead of you calling religion an excess.

That's the end of what I think. Now for the little surprise about your "Excess of anything is Bad,Religion is not exception to this law.": this is almost exactly a Hadeeth ('saying' for the want of a better word) of God's last emissiary Muhammad S.A.W, which I neither remember correctly nor am qualified to quote. But just for your interest, it goes something like this: "nobody exceeds(beyond prescribed limits for normal people) in religious practice except that he goes astray". Don't quote it on my authority please. But it should give you the idea that such a concept is essential to our understanding. All the 'un-moderation' (deliberate wording) you see is essentially deviation from Islam. But you need to know the standard where the deviation is measured out, a lot of it is tolerable before you go beyond the 6sigma of Islam.

Let's come back to the particular example of the sari and it's inappropriateness.
First "Many Islamic right-wing elements have pressed on a move to ban saris." is an oxymoron because anybody that goes rightwing has (or is very likely) to deviate from Islam.
Second, nobody can ban the sari under the sharia. A government or a state can theoretically make and enforce such a law, but only in certain places. The state in the sharia does not have the right, I think, to peep into the citizen's homes.
Third, all the women around me except one (who wore the sari culturally and was used to it), felt uncomfortable in the sari, not because of the sari but because of the top, and this was instrumental in its abandonment. That has made it quasi-extinct. The midrif is part of the aurat (what is hidden/encapsulated) for both men and women.

Thanks for listening.

And picked up the stupid arab ninja dress. Crap.

You're too seasoned to be saying something this naïve.
Somebody makes the trafic light and expects that it does its job well. Someone created us and we show Him the middle fin..

BP Bhai,

Looks like the seasoned Shia (1300 years of history) are also very naive, because according the Grand Imam of Haram-as-Sharif in Makkah, these Shia are just as non-muslim (kaffir) apostates (murtad) as the Qadianis. You can hear the Imam yourself below.

So the problem of comparing the traffic light & it maker to humans and their maker is this:

(1) We can all agreed on who made the traffic light and for what purpose.

BUT

(2) There is no such agreement on who made humans and for what purpose.

After listening to the Imam of haram-as-sharif, there are two questions you must ask yourself:

1) Am I shia? If I am, then is what I been believing to be the truth all my life really true? And if my Shia Aqeeda is True, then what am I to do with the fact that Beitullah Sharif is in the hands of people who have pronounced me just as Kaffir & Murtad as the Qadiani/Ahmadis.

OR

2) If I am not Shia, do I agree with the Imam of Haram-as-Sharif? If not, then do I claim to have more knowledge of Islam than the Imam? If I do agree with the Imam, what am I doing about the Shia in Pakistan? Why are they not in the same legal/constitutional category as the Ahmadi/Qadiani? Why are they still allowed to pose as Muslims in Pakistan? Why are their passports not marked as Non-Muslim like the Qadiani?

I will leave you to study the Real, Pure (no Bidah) Islam of the Imam of Haram-as-Sharif further and in more detail. Perhaps you may come up with sound answers to some of these questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1VDPMPFTb8&feature=player_embedded

Back
Top Bottom