What's new

Potential of an Unmanned or Manned VMMD in FC or Army to aid in Counter-terrorism effort

Moon

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Introduction:
Terrorism in Pakistan has evolved continuously over the past 2 decades, from suicide bombers to full-blown firefights with the military. Recently however, a worrying trend has been observed of roadside IEDs being used to target military vehicles, particularly pickup trucks carrying troops and logistic convoys. Terrorists use these to inflict massive casualties on the SFs, while taking very few casualties of their own (or none at all).
However, Pakistan is not the only country to have faced these problems, in fact Rhodesia faced something similar problems during the Bush War, where landmines placed at random wrecked mayhem on Rhodesian convoys. To combat this threat, the Rhodesians came up with an ingenious idea, using over-the-counter parts, and a bit of ingenuity to make the Pookie:

pookie_mine_detector_4_of_8.jpg

Everything about it was functional, using parts from a VW Cobi van and a mine detector, the Rhodesians came up with perhaps the most successful Landmine Detector Carrier.

Later the South Africans would improve upon this design and come up with the Husky VMMD a more effective (and expensive) vehicle, based on the same principles as the original Pookie.
Image-3-Husky-Vehicle-Mounted-Mine-Detector-VMMD.jpg

(Husky VMMD)
Though in Pakistan's case, it's too expensive and whatnot.

Main Text:

Basically if we use our existing resources, and use them to build another "Pookie", using modern more effective and cheaper equipment (including the ability to differentiate if the object is an IED or just a bottlecap based on mine detector tone), we can singlehandedly "checkmate" the most effective weapon terrorists have against us (roadside mines and IEDs).
Our "Pookie" can use parts from old Police Hilux vehicles, Bolan van or even a Milat Tractor, with beefed up suspension and gearing for the harsh terrain of Balochistan, and be sent onto routes commonly patrolled by pickup trucks to detect potential sites for mines and IEDs, report it to the camp, via radio or by marking them using flags or paints or whatever.
It's survivability can be improved by placing the mine detector even further ahead and raising the ride hide more than the original Pookie's (700mm). Furthermore, a few variants can be equipped with thermal sights, to monitor nearby mountains and terrain for potential terrorists.
Another idea is to use the "Pookie" as an UGV, with it being guided only by GPS signals and pre-installed imagery of the route, allowing for routines patrols of the area, without any soldiers involved at all, these could be sent 100-200m meters in front of FC convoys to intercept potential IEDs in the area (or even randomly send them as an element of surprise).

Conclusion:

The main idea remains, that these vehicles should be cheap and easy to make and maintain (after all we have to do with what we have). These could then also be given to police departments as well.
All of the R&D for this can be done in house, by even university level students. All in all, this coupled with cheap UAVs, can be used to keep an eye on the vast emptiness of Balochistan, potentially saving countless lives.

I would love to hear the opinions of members and Professionals on this forum, maybe this can get the ball rolling....

@PanzerKiel @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Areesh @waz @Sifar zero @denel @Zarvan

Source I used:

Kill Bill Vol. III where the cesspool is, wont need any VMMD or MRAP.

Kill Bill Vol. IV where the cesspool is, wont need any VMMD or MRAP.
That can be done in conjunction with knocking out the traitors within our borders, the only reason they feel empowered is because of these cowardly attacks.

Introduction:
Terrorism in Pakistan has evolved continuously over the past 2 decades, from suicide bombers to full-blown firefights with the military. Recently however, a worrying trend has been observed of roadside IEDs being used to target military vehicles, particularly pickup trucks carrying troops and logistic convoys. Terrorists use these to inflict massive casualties on the SFs, while taking very few casualties of their own (or none at all).
However, Pakistan is not the only country to have faced these problems, in fact Rhodesia faced something similar problems during the Bush War, where landmines placed at random wrecked mayhem on Rhodesian convoys. To combat this threat, the Rhodesians came up with an ingenious idea, using over-the-counter parts, and a bit of ingenuity to make the Pookie:

pookie_mine_detector_4_of_8.jpg

Everything about it was functional, using parts from a VW Cobi van and a mine detector, the Rhodesians came up with perhaps the most successful Landmine Detector Carrier.

Later the South Africans would improve upon this design and come up with the Husky VMMD a more effective (and expensive) vehicle, based on the same principles as the original Pookie.
Image-3-Husky-Vehicle-Mounted-Mine-Detector-VMMD.jpg

(Husky VMMD)
Though in Pakistan's case, it's too expensive and whatnot.

Main Text:

Basically if we use our existing resources, and use them to build another "Pookie", using modern more effective and cheaper equipment (including the ability to differentiate if the object is an IED or just a bottlecap based on mine detector tone), we can singlehandedly "checkmate" the most effective weapon terrorists have against us (roadside mines and IEDs).
Our "Pookie" can use parts from old Police Hilux vehicles, Bolan van or even a Milat Tractor, with beefed up suspension and gearing for the harsh terrain of Balochistan, and be sent onto routes commonly patrolled by pickup trucks to detect potential sites for mines and IEDs, report it to the camp, via radio or by marking them using flags or paints or whatever.
It's survivability can be improved by placing the mine detector even further ahead and raising the ride hide more than the original Pookie's (700mm). Furthermore, a few variants can be equipped with thermal sights, to monitor nearby mountains and terrain for potential terrorists.
Another idea is to use the "Pookie" as an UGV, with it being guided only by GPS signals and pre-installed imagery of the route, allowing for routines patrols of the area, without any soldiers involved at all, these could be sent 100-200m meters in front of FC convoys to intercept potential IEDs in the area (or even randomly send them as an element of surprise).

Conclusion:

The main idea remains, that these vehicles should be cheap and easy to make and maintain (after all we have to do with what we have). These could then also be given to police departments as well.
All of the R&D for this can be done in house, by even university level students. All in all, this coupled with cheap UAVs, can be used to keep an eye on the vast emptiness of Balochistan, potentially saving countless lives.

I would love to hear the opinions of members and Professionals on this forum, maybe this can get the ball rolling....

@PanzerKiel @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Areesh @waz @Sifar zero @denel @Zarvan

Source I used:
Also, I forgot to add, in case of minimum metal mines, the vehicle should come standard with both a Ground Penetrating Radar, as well as a metal detector.
Total cost of all of these things put on a modified Land Cruiser Chassis or a Tractor would come less than the price of a brand new Revo.

A machine is a solution to perform a set of tasks.

An engineer's job is to find a solution to problems.

the better a general can explain his problem the better a solution will be produced.

The problem in a lot of cases is the general's mindset, which is hell bent upon doing the same old things the same old way.

The problem in a lot of cases is the general's mindset, which is hell bent upon doing the same old things the same old way.
Which is why they need a push in thee right direction. Money is clearly not an issue, we wouldn't be buying tanks, artillery pieces or frigates if it was.

That can be done in conjunction with knocking out the traitors within our borders, the only reason they feel empowered is because of these cowardly attacks.

Also, I forgot to add, in case of minimum metal mines, the vehicle should come standard with both a Ground Penetrating Radar, as well as a metal detector.
Total cost of all of these things put on a modified Land Cruiser Chassis or a Tractor would come less than the price of a brand new Revo.
Instruments like VMMD, MARP, recon drones, UCAV, are essential. Biggest thing is Pakistan Govt mindset which is sadly still apologetic and reactive.
First is to neutralize hostile elements in Afghnistan.
Second, aggressive campaign to expose Afg govt and other hostile elements.
Lastly If Pakistan had Winloong II UCAV, why they were never used. It takes time to develop SOP how to use these instruments.
Pakistan has squandered time
Buraq came with fanfare but it seem A DUD.

Instruments like VMMD, MARP, recon drones, UCAV, are essential. Biggest thing is Pakistan Govt mindset which is sadly still apologetic and reactive.
First is to neutralize hostile elements in Afghnistan.
Second, aggressive campaign to expose Afg govt and other hostile elements.
Lastly If Pakistan had Winloong II UCAV, why they were never used. It takes time to develop SOP how to use these instruments.
Pakistan has squandered time
Buraq came with fanfare but it seem A DUD.
Agreed, but even if we don't have an aggressive approach, VMMDs aren't an offensive weapon. They're used for defense, there's simply no excuse to not have them.
As for drones, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Agreed, but even if we don't have an aggressive approach, VMMDs aren't an offensive weapon. They're used for defense, there's simply no excuse to not have them.
As for drones, I wholeheartedly agree with you.
All sorts of Equipment required which save lives of LEA and civilians. Need antimine robots, mine and bomb defusing robots, everything. These are defensive measures which are required, I am emphasizing that defense is not a policy. More defense, more retreat. Look at attack on Chinese engineers on Dasu Project. Defense and reaction cant stop these attacks.

All sorts of Equipment required which save lives of LEA and civilians. Need antimine robots, mine and bomb defusing robots, everything. These are defensive measures which are required, I am emphasizing that defense is not a policy. More defense, more retreat. Look at attack on Chinese engineers on Dasu Project. Defense and reaction cant stop these attacks.
You're right in saying defense is not a policy, but to go in the offensive you need to clear these hurdles, especially lapses in internal security.

You're right in saying defense is not a policy, but to go in the offensive you need to clear these hurdles, especially lapses in internal security.
I dont have much confidence in Pakistani civil, military leadership in this regard.
They just throw soldiers in the field to earn title of shaheed.

They just throw soldiers in the field to earn title of shaheed.

That is a down right disgusting and stupid thing to say.....demeaning our shuadas, who laid down their lives so ungrateful ppl like u can live in peace

Resources isnt the issue, civilian and military industry have enough capabilities to provide cheap and quick solutions for this issue, problem lies with top brass actually giving anything abouts life of grunts.

Pakistan has been fighting this war far over a decade and you still dont see any long terms solution for these issues it should tell you something itself.

At the start of operations not even air cover was provided which could have saved so many lifes.
That is a down right disgusting and stupid thing to say.....demeaning our shuadas, who laid down their lives so ungrateful ppl like u can live in peace
No one is blaming shaheeds the fallen soldiers. They gave life to protect fellow brothers but even after years military as institutions not changing its way and not adapting new ways to save its people who you think people should blame ?

Last edited:
You got it totally wrong. We do we just need shaheed? While lives could be saved by neutralizing terrorists using UCAV, or even fighter planes where they are? Factories of terrorists working round the clock and sending operatives and activating sleeper cell to kill LEA personnel, attack hotels, installations and blowing IED's. Are we just happy we can send people to die as Shaheeds? But some seems do!

A machine is a solution to perform a set of tasks.

An engineer's job is to find a solution to problems.

the better a general can explain his problem the better a solution will be produced.

I believe in Pakistani military academies especially in the p.m.a lot of stress is given on preserving traditions than sanity . the great this and that guy in uniform used to do that hence why all of you gonna stick to it.

Its been proven time and again that in majority of cases tradition defies science and logic .

Now can we use a tailer made R.C tractor by HIT ?

I believe in Pakistani military academies especially in the p.m.a lot of stress is given on preserving traditions than sanity . the great this and that guy in uniform used to do that hence why all of you gonna stick to it.

Its been proven time and again that in majority of cases tradition defies science and logic .

Now can we use a tailer made R.C tractor by HIT ?

Traditionalism has its own benefits,
Specially in case of organized traditional warfare;
the balance between traditional and unorthodox is also determined by the quality and type of input ( in terms of men and material ) is being provided to PMA, NDU and Staff College Quetta.
We are trained culturally and religiously to obey seniors and not ask too many questions.
How would you take a boy with deep rooted beliefs like that, and turn him into an independent thinker ?

Back
Top Bottom