What's new

Post traumatic stress disorder in pak army vetrans

Conviction that what one has done is for country, validation of the service to the nation by way of respect shown by the civilians, family support and in many cases firm religious beliefs help cope with issues which in the West have given way to PTSD. This is not to say that depression over a loss of limb or comrade does not exist, it does, however societal and religious mechanisms help cope with it.

Extremely well said!! Bravo

Last edited:
Ptsd is not such an impossible thing to happen.
In my opinion the reason why PTSD is low amongst Pakistan Army is that our battle is quite genuine. They're not expansionary with ill-defined objectives and an utterly vague or hidden goal. We are genuinely rescuing people from real savages...the feeling is good. Pak Army doesn't need nor run Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo type prisons.

Very true.to me this reason sits somewhere at the bottom of the whole issue. i believe when u follow ethical and moral codes in war and fight a just war, like our forces have done, negative psychological impacts are less.

But nonetheless PTSD could have many many reasons behind it. Battlefield wounds, facing deadly encounters, stationedin hard areas and difficult terrains, tough living conditions, many such things contribute to it.

Anyways, i think pak army definitely has arrangements in place to take care of such issues.

Last edited:
Being an Indian I must admit that I haven't heard any such stories from the Pak Armed forces. Having said that we South Asians don't put much importance on mental health be it our armed forces or civilians.

Edit: We might find such cases rare or unnatural but that doesn't mean we should over look or ignore this aspect all together.

this is an issue I feel never gets a mention, there's probably thousands of soldiers who are returning from the front lines with life changing experiences they are likely facing similar issues to what the U.S. Army faced after the Vietnam war. But it looks like this seems to be ignored we celebrate them when there in uniform but afterwards it's like no one gives a shit.

Our soldier feels that this cause is righteous and justified.

this is an issue I feel never gets a mention, there's probably thousands of soldiers who are returning from the front lines with life changing experiences they are likely facing similar issues to what the U.S. Army faced after the Vietnam war. But it looks like this seems to be ignored we celebrate them when there in uniform but afterwards it's like no one gives a shit.
They don't because of Islam

It happens but it's rare. The US Military has a "use, and throw away" policy wrt its personnel. We don't. U.S, soldiers serve short enlistments, a good chunk of them are reserves and Guard people who are thrown right back into civilian life. In our case, soldier serve 18 years and the institution and comrades help the deal with any issues and prepared for civilian life.

Alhamdolillah, I come from a family with extensive military background as well, and none of the members who have been in the forces have ever reported even a hint of PTSD. The veterans lead a very healthy active life. Definitely got to do with our belief system which is Islam and love for this motherland which came into being in the name of Islam.

Change the thread titlte to US as Pak seems to be written by accident

For Vietnam it was a combo of guilt and lack of training for US's part...

Or maybe we have become accustomed to all this violence ?
No one gets accustomed to such stuff and living away from family and never knowing when the bullet takes you or leaves you marked for life....

There are studies which reveal that it has more to do with spiritual lacking but most of those studies are less to do with Science and more to do with psychology and spiritual combo....

People who fight for no reason or have too many sins and fear to meet the creator probably suffer PTSD more....

And this:

Conviction that what one has done is for country, validation of the service to the nation by way of respect shown by the civilians, family support and in many cases firm religious beliefs help cope with issues which in the West have given way to PTSD. This is not to say that depression over a loss of limb or comrade does not exist, it does, however societal and religious mechanisms help cope with it.

PTSD is around, it's rarer than in Western armed forces veteran, but it's not absent completely. It is just not diagnosed well enough in Pakistan.
Well, I am yet to hear an ex serviceman going around shooting people or harming anyone with his military skills as in USA (esp after Vietnam war)....

Maybe we are soo used to strict parents and stuff when they get slightly stricter we dont mind it while in countries where you cant yell at your children or discipline them and when such a kid is enrolled and when he gets back from the army.......and suddenly ends up doing any of the above.......prob get a PTSD subscription? :unsure:

True it is a spectrum type but saying you havent seen it or signs of it...Well, it isnt due to ignorance or lack of diagnostic skills coz mind you PTSD is not your daily syndrome cocktail...

The diagnosis may be given when a group of symptoms, such as disturbing recurring flashbacks, avoidance or numbing of memories of the event, and hyperarousal (The fight-or-flight response (also called the fight, flight, freeze, or fawn response [in PTSD], hyperarousal, or the acute stress response) is a physiological reaction that occurs in response to a perceived harmful event, attack, or threat to survival.), continue for more than a month after the occurrence of a traumatic event.

I am sure in Pakistan they get all these syndromes coz the manage to tell their grandchildren about it....While maybe in the West they prefer only telling Psychiatrists ..However, hyperarousal has not yet been diagnosed nor seen.....Well, unless it is accidentally led to someone ending up in pagal khanna but I guess those who are retired get good enough care from both the medical and family support....

Most people having experienced a traumatizing event will not develop PTSD People who experience assault-based trauma are more likely to develop PTSD, as opposed to people who experience non-assault based trauma such as witnessing trauma, accidents, and fire events. Children are less likely to experience PTSD after trauma than adults, especially if they are under ten years of age.
Unless we fall under the most people :unsure:

It happens but it's rare. The US Military has a "use, and throw away" policy wrt its personnel. We don't. U.S, soldiers serve short enlistments, a good chunk of them are reserves and Guard people who are thrown right back into civilian life. In our case, soldier serve 18 years and the institution and comrades help the deal with any issues and prepared for civilian life.
Scientifically and psychologically
This could be the key: the intermediate stage before putting the soldier back in civilian life...

They don't because of Islam

Seriously, I would be surprised if you are able to put your pants on unassisted.

PTSD is a reality, and to assume that only American or NATO soldiers suffer from it would be exclusively a western issue. The condition might be under reported because of the obvious taboo attached to it, which also seems to be rampant in this forum as well. Our soldiers might have the motivation and deep conviction to get them through the battle but at the end of the day they are all humans. Seeing such kind of brutality on the battle field is bound to leave its scars on human minds. Besides Pakistans previous wars can not be used as a bench mark for current wars our soldiers are fighting, the enemy is far more ruthless and the war is far too long. We should avoid making such assumptions, we owe to all our brave servicemen and women who are laying their lives for our future. This should be something we look into, and try to tackle it effectively rather than using all kinds of other arguments.

PTSD is not a simple disease as you imply in your post.

It takes on many forms. and thus there are levels A-F as per the following link
Understanding levels of PTSD

Please make sure your question recognizes and thus considers these levels.

Thank you

Well, I am yet to hear an ex serviceman going around shooting people or harming anyone with his military skills as in USA (esp after Vietnam war)........

I am sure in Pakistan they get all these syndromes coz the manage to tell their grandchildren about it....While maybe in the West they prefer only telling Psychiatrists ..However, hyperarousal has not yet been diagnosed nor seen.....Well, unless it is accidentally led to someone ending up in pagal khanna but I guess those who are retired get good enough care from both the medical and family support....

Unless we fall under the most people :unsure:

Scientifically and psychologically
This could be the key: the intermediate stage before putting the soldier back in civilian life...

you have said it well.

I have interacted with US war vets and MAJORITY of them continue to function as nomal as anyone else. In fact they (may) work harder and appreciate life in a way that civilians do not or cannot.

Only a tiny tiny portion of very large US army suffer from highest level "F" symptoms you described in your first sentence. (see the link above for a list of PTSD levels)

These symptoms could be made much worse due to alcoholism, drug abuse, and lack of family/professional support.

peace

Bro its Pakistan................................ our soldiers do not commit suicide or rape, and they do not suffer from PTSD.
One of my uncle in retired Col. Few of my mates are serving majors and captians. no one among them is victim of PTSD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom