What's new

Post traumatic stress disorder in pak army vetrans

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
this is an issue I feel never gets a mention, there's probably thousands of soldiers who are returning from the front lines with life changing experiences they are likely facing similar issues to what the U.S. Army faced after the Vietnam war. But it looks like this seems to be ignored we celebrate them when there in uniform but afterwards it's like no one gives a shit.

Well I got respect when I was in uniform. I still get respect even though I'm retired.

Out of the hundreds of retired servicemen I know, not one of them suffers from PTSD. Not sure what your agenda is here?

Well I got respect when I was in uniform. I still get respect even though I'm retired.

Out of the hundreds of retired servicemen I know, not one of them suffers from PTSD. Not sure what your agenda is here?

Woow what a strong comment and reply ! I am excited, kia Jazba, keep on fauji sir !

this is an issue I feel never gets a mention, there's probably thousands of soldiers who are returning from the front lines with life changing experiences they are likely facing similar issues to what the U.S. Army faced after the Vietnam war. But it looks like this seems to be ignored we celebrate them when there in uniform but afterwards it's like no one gives a shit.
Ask the families of those who come back from operations what they go through. It is over 2 decades and still have flashbacks. Lot of BS about machoism - no level of training prepares one from the trauma you see and experience. It is there but not talked about.
An elder aquaintance was at the battle of al elamain lived in a small village near my home town. He was in his 80s even then he had nightmares; if a plane over low flew over this brave 2m high man would lie down flag. This is why he moved into our area because of its isolation.

PTSD is quite common in Americans who served in iraq and Afghanistan and indian soldiers committing suicides in war zones like kashmir etc but i am proud to say despite seeing such a difficult time period in the past 13-14 years the morale of our soldiers is incredibly high. I bet at least indians and americans would have gone completely mad if they saw something close to that.
That,s what makes Pakistan a resilient and tough nation .:pakistan:

Ask the families of those who come back from operations what they go through. It is over 2 decades and still have flashbacks. Lot of BS about machoism - no level of training prepares one from the trauma you see and experience. It is there but not talked about.
An elder aquaintance was at the battle of al elamain lived in a small village near my home town. He was in his 80s even then he had nightmares; if a plane over low flew over this brave 2m high man would lie down flag. This is why he moved into our area because of its isolation.

I have many family members who are either serving or have served on the front .. None of them suffer from PTSD.. Although I know of 1 soldier who was depressed (he took part in Peshawar school seige)... What he saw in there definetly left an impact ... ( the only change I see in him is more hatred for talibitches).

Another cousin jut got posted after serving 2 years in FATA ..( He's cool too).

PTSD is quite common in Americans who served in iraq and Afghanistan and indian soldiers committing suicides in war zones like kashmir etc but i am proud to say despite seeing such a difficult time period in the past 13-14 years the morale of our soldiers is incredibly high. I bet at least indians and americans would have gone completely mad if they saw something close to that.
That,s what makes Pakistan a resilient and tough nation .:pakistan:

Or maybe we have become accustomed to all this violence ?

As much as PTSD is concerned, only rare cases are produced. Depression is common among the army but due to their high courage and deep religious connection with Jihad, I think most of our army people don't find it much troublesome. (As far as my information is concerned )

Conviction that what one has done is for country, validation of the service to the nation by way of respect shown by the civilians, family support and in many cases firm religious beliefs help cope with issues which in the West have given way to PTSD. This is not to say that depression over a loss of limb or comrade does not exist, it does, however societal and religious mechanisms help cope with it.

Hi,
The pstd suffered in battlefield has life threatening psychological effects.
As it is Said all warfare is based on deception, you can seen in US for eg droned operators refusing to work.

Or in the documentaries of Iraq and G bay, they regret it to the point where the guilt willnforce them to take their life. Not just inUS MILITARY but in many militaries.

Surposingly , the ratio of that in Pakistan Is very negligible, maybe one or two cases at most.

First of all the effects are negated by the pride in working for armed forces. Then act itself (suicide) is a very taboo act in our culture and religion, say like a coward who didn't have enough courage to deal with problems.
The fact that you worked for armed forces is the clear proof, you're not one of those who will give in easily

With no disrepct to people suffering from pstd or who are having mental isues .

this decease only affects people who go overboard in wars/conflicts and engage in senseless, brutal, immoral, unethical activities during the conflict. Who don't have or believe in the purpose of the conflict/fight.

This is not the case with Pakistan defence forces, because when they fight, they have a purpose and mission and they don't engage in unethical activities

In my opinion the reason why PTSD is low amongst Pakistan Army is that our battle is quite genuine. They're not expansionary with ill-defined objectives and an utterly vague or hidden goal. We are genuinely rescuing people from real savages...the feeling is good. Pak Army doesn't need nor run Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo type prisons. :)

I would say PTSD and low-morale did affect the Pak Army back in 2006 till I reckon late Kayani's tenure....because the soldiers were not ready to fight against their "brothers". It was only when they started playing football with their decapitated heads that they realized that it's time to fight.

Last edited:
The point i want to raise here is that US army sent 18/19 yr old into Vietnam while the age by which PA soilders see combat they are already 21 or above so it may be a contributing point.
Other being a purpose or a cause for which soilder fight with utmost devotion,PA soilders have abundance of that same i cannot say about US army soilders.

people aren't even aware of what PTSD is, any traumatic event like getting ambushed or surviving an IED lives with you for the rest of your life, the real issue here, is that no 1 checks up on this in pakistan because many of the soldiers who serve on the front lines are from rural villages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom