What's new

Post a picture of yourself

Hello all, greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia

945124_10151432672052711_159246282_n.jpg
Greetings Bro! Looking like a ninja there eh? :lol:

:lol: :enjoy:

Living in the United States is great, really, because it has allowed me to develop my English, and to take up some sports activities that i never thought about doing before; ergo, basketball, football (touch, not the full on contact, LOL), kayaking, canoeing etc.

Some things that I prefer in Japan: 1) we really place emphasis on food and quality of food, sometimes if i go to a restaurant here in 'US, they don't cook it properly , or the presentation of the food is not up to par. The food is also too oily here, lol. 2) Work ethic. I tend to notice that Americans are the type of people who like to do things only as expected, never to the point where it is considered 'excellent' or 'above the expectation'. I notice this in my students who work with me in research or from my American friends when we go out, or when we set to do tasks. 3) Sense of family and large nuclear family is prevalent in Japan. I don't see it in the United States, and the sense of filial piety (honor and respect for parents, elders) is not as common in the 'states. I personally find it very disrespectful for younger children to shout at their elderes, or even strangers who might happen to be older. This does not happen in Japan.

These are just minor social differences, which is understanding considering that there is a very profound difference between Western and Easter cultures and society. But despite these differences, I do find it comfortable living here. I've done some experimenting while living here, things that i never would have thought about doing back in Japan. lol. For example, i've dated women of different backgrounds; I dated Korean-Americans, African-American, and American Whites. I like the openess of America, lol. The different flavors, so to say. :)

That's awesome that you have a lot of family in ME and Europe! I bet you are very fluent in Danish language eh? How many languages do you speak? As for Chemical Engineering, that's a good choice ! You will find a lot of opportunities in that field.

Hoping to get to know you more here, buddy.

Regards,

:cheers:

I'll have to visit that section, brother. I'm still learning to explore more the many threads on PDF. But thank you for the invitation, will definitely partake in discourse there. :)

What I liked about my 1 year long stay in the US, California to be precise, were the close friendships that I made with people from across the world. People that I still have contact with to this day. I liked the nature, I liked the fact that I was surrounded by people from across the world. If I wanted something from the ME part of the world I could get it. If I wanted something French, I got it. If I wanted something Latino, I got it. I liked the international feel. The academic life and also the openness of people. Which is something the Americans share with the two cultures that are mine (Arab, Southern European).

That's actually something that I recall reading somewhere. I mean those Japanese perspectives. You Japanese are world famous for your work ethic but sometimes it seems to be very extreme and at the expense of family, holidays, enjoying life etc. Those are otherwise values that are close to my culture and this hinders adopting the rigorous Japanese work ethic. A combination would be perfect though.:)
Regarding the food I have to agree. It's cheap, there is a lot of it and in general it is not of a good quality. Unless you visit the fashionable dining places. In France even the cheap food would be considered of high qualify in the US. Food is also very important in the Arab world and a lot of time is spent on preparing it. Food serves as a social thing as well like in many other places.

Same here. That's because ME and Eastern cultures still tend to be paternal cultures and cultures where social class still plays an importance. In the West everyone is made fun of and you are rarely respected for whom you are in terms of social standing, ancestry etc. but more for what you do. In the ME this is not always the case. Name alone can help you a great deal.

:lol: So what is next on your menu?

No, since I have not been here for long but I understand most and can keep my guard high if necessary. Even in terms of the written language although that's worse off. Arabic, French and English fluent. My Spanish is also fairly strong. I can understand a lot of written and spoken Italian for obvious reasons since it is close to not only French but Spanish too. But I cannot speak it at all. I don't remember what you call that in terms of semantics. It's nearly as close as Danish, Swedish and Norwegian which I even as a non-native speaker of Danish can realize the closeness of. So 3 languages fluently. All 3 happen to be world languages and all 3 of them are the official languages of the UN outside of Spanish, Russian and Chinese.

How about you? Japanese and English I assume? Or do you have a third card in your pocket?
Well, I can only say the same. It was nice engaging with you and as I said you are very welcome to visit our section or ask any questions etc. I will do the same if you are around and I have something to ask about!.;)

Take care. Going to watch the Spain-Chile game in a few minutes. We are writing too damn much information and too long posts.

Last edited:
What I liked about my 1 year long stay in the US, California to be precise, were the close friendships that I made with people from across the world. People that I still have contact with to this day. I liked the nature, I liked the fact that I was surrounded by people from across the world. If I wanted something from the ME part of the world I could get it. If I wanted something French, I got it. If I wanted something Latino, I got it. I liked the international feel. The academic life and also the openness of people. Which is something the Americans share with the two cultures that are mine (Arab, Southern European).

That's actually something that I recall reading somewhere. I mean those Japanese perspectives. You Japanese are world famous for your work ethic but sometimes it seems to be very extreme and at the expense of family, holidays, enjoying life etc. Those are otherwise values that are close to my culture and this hinders adopting the rigorous Japanese work ethic. A combination would be perfect though.:)
Regarding the food I have to agree. It's cheap, there is a lot of it and in general it is not of a good quality. Unless you visit the fashionable dining places. In France even the cheap food would be considered of high qualify in the US. Food is also very important in the Arab world and a lot of time is spent on preparing it. Food serves as a social thing as well like in many other places.

Same here. That's because ME and Eastern cultures still tend to be paternal cultures and cultures where social classes still play an importance. In the West everyone is made fun of and you are rarely respected for whom you are in terms of social standing, ancestry etc. but more for what you do. In the ME this is not always the case. Name alone can help you a great deal.

:lol: So what is next on your menu?

No, since I have not been here for long but I understand most and can keep my guard high if necessary. Even in terms of the written language although that's worse off. Arabic, French and English fluent. My Spanish is also fairly strong. I can understand a lot of written and spoken Italian for obvious reasons since it is close to not only French but Spanish too. But I cannot speak it at all. I don't remember what you call that in terms of semantics. It's nearly as close as Danish, Swedish and Norwegian which I even as a non-native speaker of Danish can realize the closeness of. So 3 languages fluently. All 3 happen to be world languages and all 3 of them are the official languages of the UN outside of Spanish, Russian and Chinese.

How about you? Japanese and English I assume? Or do you have a third card in your pocket?
Well, I can only say the same. It was nice engaging with you and as I said you are very welcome to visit our section or ask any questions etc. I will do the same if you are around and I have something to ask about!.;)

Take care. Going to watch the Spain-Chile game in a few minutes. We are writing too damn much information and too long posts.

You like nature eh? Wonderful! Yes, there is a National Park in Wyoming that i went to last year with some friends..its called Yellowstone National Park. Driving from New Jersey, through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Montana, South Dakota and to Wyoming....wow! One truly gets the feel, and the vision of the Beauty of America. The country is just so VAST, and nature is practically untouched ! We were able to see bison in their bison reserves and even tried some bison meat in South Dakota.

You really know a lot of languages ! Arabic, English, French, Italian, and German, too? Wow!

For me, I am fluent in Japanese, English, some spanish, and I can read and write in Chinese (tho this is my weakest).

See you around brother. Looking to conversing with you again, ALHAMDULILLAH! :)

Hahaha that pic taken two years ago :) i worked at brand activation agency by the day, internet ninja by night :D
Here is recent pics : me & my wife
InstagramCapture_0075c10c-7845-4024-a939-baaa1e267b4b_jpg.jpg

Mashallah! Beautiful Couple!

Last edited:
I'll have to visit that section, brother. I'm still learning to explore more the many threads on PDF. But thank you for the invitation, will definitely partake in discourse there. :)

That would be our honor and you are very welcome as well.

@Nihonjin1051

Wait a second. I am only fluent in 3 languages. Spanish I am well-versed in but not fluent especially in the written form. I have no knowledge of German.:D Did I write German?;)

Danish is not fluent either but after nearly 2 years I am obviously able to understand a great deal and say the most basics. In written form it's nothing to brag about.:)

Yellowstone National Park is the most famous national park in the world, IMO. The first one as well if I am not mistaken. It is indeed beautiful. All of Western USA is. I wish to see more of it. I also thought about sailing from the Bay of Fundy (Maine) all the way alongside the American eastern shores and the Gulf all the way to South Bay in Western Texas next to Mexico. After that trip doing the Western shores from Alaska all the way down to San Diego and around the Baja California Peninsula which is my ultimate dream in those regions.:D

Last edited:
@Jakartans@PkDef

Greetings to our friends in Indonesia and in particular the millions of Indonesian-Arabs and overall Indonesia. I have a fondness for your country and I know that many Arabs have as well.

That would be our honor and you are very welcome as well.

@Nihonjin1051

Wait a second. I am only fluent in 3 languages. Spanish I am well-versed in but not fluent especially in the written form. I have no knowledge of German.:D Did I write German?;)

Danish is not fluent either but after nearly 2 years I am obviously able to understand a great deal and say the most basics. In written form it's nothing to brag about.:)

Yellowstone National Park is the most famous national park in the world, IMO. The first one as well if I am not mistaken. It is indeed beautiful. All of Western USA is. I wish to see more of it. I also thought about sailing from the Bay of Fundy (Maine) all the way alongside the American eastern shores and the Gulf all the way to South Bay in Western Texas next to Mexico. After that trip doing the Western shores from Alaska all the way down to San Diego and around the Baja California Peninsula which is my ultimate dream in those regions.:D

Hahaha! Then we have very similar tastes, brother. We have a fondness for nature and outdoor activities. ;)

Some things that I prefer in Japan: 1) we really place emphasis on food and quality of food, sometimes if i go to a restaurant here in 'US, they don't cook it properly , or the presentation of the food is not up to par. The food is also too oily here, lol. 2) Work ethic. I tend to notice that Americans are the type of people who like to do things only as expected, never to the point where it is considered 'excellent' or 'above the expectation'. I notice this in my students who work with me in research or from my American friends when we go out, or when we set to do tasks. 3) Sense of family and large nuclear family is prevalent in Japan. I don't see it in the United States, and the sense of filial piety (honor and respect for parents, elders) is not as common in the 'states. I personally find it very disrespectful for younger children to shout at their elderes, or even strangers who might happen to be older. This does not happen in Japan.
When I did my erasmus exchange program in Istanbul. I had Japanese female house mate for couple of months. She had really good work ethic. She was studying Turkish and would study the whole day. Within couple of months she made remarkable progress. The only thing. I thought Japanese peeps would cook very good. The only thing she would make is spagetti and some other simple dishes :lol: I asked her can you make some Japanese dishes too and she didn't know :lol: ... Can average Japanese girl cook good?

@al-Hasani ,

Next time, I will have to visit Western Europe ! Talking about Denmark and reading about French cuisine has me drooling with yearning ! Ha ha ha!

Hahaha! Then we have very similar tastes, brother. We have a fondness for nature and outdoor activities. ;)

Indeed it seems so.:D

The Baja California Peninsula is really something. I am yet to visit it but I have been in love with that place for a long, long time and since I like sailing in general I one day really want to visit it.

Not many are that familiar with it but it's truly something special.

Since you understand Spanish I can recommend you to watch this 1 hour long documentary made by a local Spanish television station from Madrid. It shows the amazing nature.

;)

If we had Mexicans here they would be of great help. In any case I hear that some of the drug cartels are roaming around that part of Mexico as well so…..

When I did my erasmus exchange program in Istanbul. I had Japanese female house mate for couple of months. She had really good work ethic. She was studying Turkish and would study the whole day. Within couple of months she made remarkable progress. The only thing. I thought Japanese peeps would cook very good. The only thing she would make is spagetti and some other simple dishes :lol: I asked her can you make some Japanese dishes too and she didn't know :lol: ... Can average Japanese girl cook good?

Bro, traditional Japanese girls know how to cook good. For example, my mother. There are plenty of them still around that cook traditional Japanese food; depends on what kind of dish. Our dishes ranges from region to region. If you go to Kyushu region, the food is very spicy, like Korean food, Chinese food. If you go further south to Ryuku / Okinawa, food is very sea-food oriented, and has similarities with South East Asian food. A bit oily!

Where I'm from, Hokkaido region, our food places more emphasis on meat. We love beef, pork, sheep ! Have you ever heard of Sapporo Beef? We literally feed our beef with beer and massage them. The meat is exquisite! And pretty expensive, too. :lol:

dsc_0327.jpg

Yum!

curry.jpg

Indeed it seems so.:D

The Baja California Peninsula is really something. I am yet to visit it but I have been in love with that place for a long, long time and since I like sailing in general I one day really want to visit it.

Not many are that familiar with it but it's truly something special.

Since you understand Spanish I can recommend you to watch this 1 hour long documentary made by a local Spanish television station from Madrid. It shows the amazing nature.

;)

If we had Mexicans here they would be of great help. In any case I hear that some of the drug cartels are roaming around that part of Mexico as well so…..

I really do wish we had more international members ! I've never been to Mexico, or the like, but i've had my stays in California and San Diego. There is , indeed, a large mexican and mexican-american population in the South west mesa region. And as i read over history, its interesting because these areas were originally part of Mexico prior to the Mexican American War in 1845. It explains the cultural and social predisposition.

Despite what some people say tho, bro, i have a lot of respect for Mexican people in the US. They are hard working people, and they do jobs that average americans would not do. They are not lazy people, and they strive to provide for their family back home and in the 'states. So for that, i respect them.

LOL...I'm guessing you love Spanish food eh? Chimichanga? Fajita con pollo? ha ha ha!

Bro, traditional Japanese girls know how to cook good. For example, my mother. There are plenty of them still around that cook traditional Japanese food; depends on what kind of dish. Our dishes ranges from region to region. If you go to Kyushu region, the food is very spicy, like Korean food, Chinese food. If you go further south to Ryuku / Okinawa, food is very sea-food oriented, and has similarities with South East Asian food. A bit oily!

Where I'm from, Hokkaido region, our food places more emphasis on meat. We love beef, pork, sheep ! Have you ever heard of Sapporo Beef? We literally feed our beef with beer and massage them. The meat is exquisite! And pretty expensive, too. :lol:

dsc_0327.jpg

Yum!
No, I never had that but it looks tasty! Japanese food is very good. I have a good Japanese restaurant that makes excellent sushi and other Japanese dishes but mostly I know sushi :lol: I even tried to make sushi myself. It was really good for my first time but you really need to know the balances of the ingredients.

When I was in Istanbul, my house lord's wife was Japanese too by coincidence, I joked to her that her son will be a super human being because he has both Japanese and Turkish blood :lol: Japanese women age very well too. Some Japanese women can look 20 when they are 40. My family is also like this. My aunt is 40 but she looks 25. Compared to Europeans, Asians age well.

ayumi-takano_51204.jpg

For example this is Ayumi Takano, she is Japanese actress in Turkey. Very famous. She looks 20-25 but she is 40. Maybe I should find Japanese girl :lol: Too bad most Japanese stay in Japan. They respect their culture which I respect a lot. We have that too.

Last edited:
No, I never had that but it looks tasty! Japanese food is very good. I have a good Japanese restaurant that makes excellent sushi and other Japanese dishes but mostly I know sushi :lol: I even tried to make sushi myself. It was really good for my first time but you really need to know the balances of the ingredients.

When I was in Istanbul, my house lord's wife was Japanese too by coincidence, I joked to her that her son will be a super human being because he has both Japanese and Turkish blood :lol: Japanese women age very well too. Some Japanese women can look 20 when they are 40. My family is also like this. My aunt is 40 but she looks 25. Compared to Europeans, Asians age well.

ayumi-takano_51204.jpg

For example this is Ayumi Takano, she is Japanese actress in Turkey. Very famous. She looks 20-25 but she is 40. Maybe I should find Japanese girl :lol: Too bad most Japanese stay in Japan. They respect their culture which I respect a lot. We have that too.

Brother, you have a very deep fascination for Japan and Japanese culture ! Impressive ! Someday, you should go to Japan. I'll tour you around my place in Sapporo.

We are still young, so there is time for these things in life. Inshallah! God Willing !

Brother, you have a very deep fascination for Japan and Japanese culture ! Impressive ! Someday, you should go to Japan. I'll tour you around my place in Sapporo.

We are still young, so there is time for these things in life. Inshallah! God Willing !
I have fascination for a lot of peoples and countries but Japanese are my favorite east-asian people. I especially like history, namely of Turkic peoples from Europe all the way to Asia, Japanese people, Ancient Greeks (not Modern-day Greeks :) ), Ancient Anatolians and Mesopotamia. I want to visit Japan one day but I want to learn some Japanese. Visiting Japan will happen in the far future. Now I'm learning Russian first.

Back
Top Bottom