What's new

Porsche's Chief Designer is a Chinese??!!

theniubt

Reaction score
Country
China
Just came across this article

Porsche car designer Pinky Lai geared up for China

He may be retiring soon from Porsche, where he has been a designer for 24 years, but Pinky Lai will not be putting his feet up
Pinky Lai Ping is the first Chinese car designer to make a splash internationally.

The 62-year-old Hongkonger has had a highly successful career in Europe, working as a designer for Ford and BMW before joining Porsche in 1989, where he has remained for 24 years.

Pinky Lai says he feels responsible for doing something for the mainland car industry. Photo: May Tse

During that time he was responsible for the exterior design of the Porsche 911's 996 model - first produced in 1996.

Article is a bit too long.....

Pinky Lai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pinky Lai (Hong Kong, born 20 March 1951) is an automotive designer, the first Chinese in the Car Design Profession. Currently working at Porsche AG. He is Chief Designer responsible for the exterior designs of both Porsche Boxster 987 and 1st generation Cayman. He is also responsible for the Design of the complete model-line of 911 Carrera (996 series).

After returning to Germany he joined BMW in 1984 as a senior designer. He won the Design of E36 program (the Three Series). In 1989, He was invited by the president of R&D of Porsche AG to join the design team (Porsche Styling)as studio chief under the lead of Harm Lagaay (also from BMW). Since then, he has worked on all the models from the factory, from the Boxster to the Cayman including the revolutionary 996, the first major departure from Ferdinand Alexander "Butzi" Porsche's original design for the 911 in four decades.

Since 2004, he was appointed the Chief Designer for all external projects at Style Porsche, handling all Transportation Design for clients from Japan, Korea, China and all over Europe.

Since 2012, he is the Founder and Design Director of Brainchild Design Group and Brainchild Design Consultants, Limited.

Just thought I wanted to share it, because I'm surprised by it to be honest, lol.

No way, I thought we Asians are mindless robots that don't know what innovation and creativity is, and is only good at memorizing and math, and copy cats! haha

And you are surprise, because it goes against the typical stereotype? There are plenty of designers and artists of Chinese ethnicity spread everywhere. China is just not rich enough and the social and political environment is not ready for home grown creativity and breakthrough innovation yet.

China's auto market has great potential,
There will be more Chinese designers,

If HAN cultural elements into the design,
So much the better

Just thought I wanted to share it, because I'm surprised by it to be honest, lol.

No need to be surprised. :no:

Chinese people have great potential in all fields, the only question is whether or not we have the right policies to bring out this talent.

How do we find and train people like Ye Shiwen (multiple gold medal winner in Olympic swimming)? How many talented people are overlooked because we don't have the right policies to identify and help them fulfil their potential?

It's not enough to just provide the opportunities, we also need to provide the necessary guidance.

No way, I thought we Asians are mindless robots that don't know what innovation and creativity is, and is only good at memorizing and math, and copy cats! haha

And you are surprise, because it goes against the typical stereotype? There are plenty of designers and artists of Chinese ethnicity spread everywhere. China is just not rich enough and the social and political environment is not ready for home grown creativity and breakthrough innovation yet.

Gotta admit that lol. Though it's gonna go away soon for sure, it's just matter of time.

No need to be surprised. :no:

Chinese people have great potential in all fields, the only question is whether or not we have the right policies to bring out this talent.

How do we find and train people like Ye Shiwen (multiple gold medal winner in Olympic swimming)? How many talented people are overlooked because we don't have the right policies to identify and help them fulfil their potential?

It's not enough to just provide the opportunities, we also need to provide the necessary guidance.

Couldn't agree more. Which explains why HK is ahead of the mainland when it comes to the game of modern designs. Copyright is much more well respected and enforced there.

He was A designer at Porsche nothing mentions him about being "Chief designer".

Porsche car designer Pinky Lai geared up for China | South China Morning Post

It's mentioned in Wiki ~

Couldn't agree more. Which explains why HK is ahead of the mainland when it comes to the game of modern designs. Copyright is much more well respected and enforced there.

HK is doing good for being only a small island, but the mainland contains the vast majority of Chinese people. The fate of the Chinese civilization depends on the mainland, and luckily they have been doing very well so far.

One thing I can say is that HK has a very reliable and independent judiciary. This is why most large mainland and international businesses like working through us. A mainland version of the ICAC would do wonders too.

And that is what people meant when they criticized Chinese industries as copycats. Even the Chinese members have admitted that copying and rote memorization is the quickest way to learn industrialization before original designs can be experimented.

As individuals, the Chinese people is no less or no more than any other races. It depends on the environment, the drive, and a bit of luck to be successful and recognized. The new and very successful Ford Mustang was designed, not re-designed, by a Viet immigrant...

Ford Mustang Designer Revives an American Classic : NPR
Thai-Tang was five years old when he spotted his first Mustang in war-torn Vietnam. The Mustang had been shipped to Saigon as part of a program to boost morale for U.S. troops.

"It really left a lasting impression on me, with a long wheelbase, a long hood line, very muscular," Thai-Tang says. "It reinforced all those positive images of America. It was big, it was powerful, and it really stood for freedom."

In 1975, Thai-Tang's family escaped Saigon and moved to New York City. There, Thai-Tang excelled in school, especially math. After college, he got a job as an engineer with Ford and bought his first car — a Mustang, of course.

Now, he's director of Ford's Special Vehicle Team, overseeing the automaker's performance line of cars and trucks.

I don't want to say this, but Porsche "Designer" is the most Cushy job in the world, they did not do anything but Still got paid.. A LOT.....

Porsche 911- 2012
2012-Porsche-911-Carrera-991-7.jpg

Porsche 911- 2011
th

Porsche 911- 2010
th

Porsche 911- 2009
th

Porsche 911 - 2008
th

Porsche 911 - 2007
th

Porsche 911 - 2006
th

Porsche 911 - 1985
th

Porsche 911 - Family
4642495276_eaeef72ca7_z.jpg

I mean, can you spot the different ??

I don't want to say this, but Porsche "Designer" is the most Cushy job in the world, they did not do anything but Still got paid.. A LOT.....

haha! that's nothing, dude. physicians can easily make $600,000 - $2 million a year easy especially if you do clinical consultation and medical seminar presentations in addition to hospital work.

engineering work is small time... :coffee:

Just came across this article

Porsche car designer Pinky Lai geared up for China

Pinky Lai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

who cares, he's one designer out of hundreds. he still works for the white (German) organization.

Those Porsche 911s are like rocket ships! Would love to get a modified twin turbo version :woot:

Ironically to your post, Porsche 911 design isn't exactly known for it's originality.

Good idea for himself, back to China and continue earning huge money after retire.

I have no any feeling to these retired successful men, why not do something inside China when they were young or back to China before retire ? All of them just r standard businessmen, except money lack lofty moral ideals.

Pinky Lai says he feels responsible for doing something for the mainland car industry.
Truth is he retired, or he will continue worked in Germany BMW company.

I was at an auto show a while back - Aside from the exotics it was the Japanese mid level luxury brand concepts that drew the most attention.
I was not all to impressed with the German marques.

Back
Top Bottom