What's new

Police taken hostage while arresting 3/3 suspect

tyagi

Reaction score

Alleged terrorist’s neighbours disarm police, help Ali Shair escape
* Advocate says villagers got furious after police opened indiscriminate fire, injured children

LAHORE: One of the suspects of the Liberty terrorist attack who was arrested managed to escape after his neighbours intervened and attacked the police party, eventually taking the police as hostages, Daily Times learnt on Wednesday.

Sources said on directions of the Sahiwal district police officer (DPO), the City Chichawatni Police Station House Officer (SHO) Rao Shafqaat along with Elite Force personnel, raided and arrested one Ali Shair from the jurisdiction of Renala Police Station in Okara. The police had wanted Shair for his alleged involvement in the 3/3 terrorist attack in Lahore and several other cases of murder and robbery. The Punjab government had announced Rs 600,000 as his head money.

Police robbed: Police sources said they had arrested Shair but his neighbours succeeded in arranging his escape by taking the police as hostages after seizing their weapons. They said the accused escaped with nine sub machine guns, one 444-bore rifle, two 30-bore pistols, a wireless set, six mobile phones, and Rs 50,000 in cash after robbing the police. However, after intervention of other police officers, the hostages were released. They said over 200 people attacked the police with sophisticated weapons and took the policemen as hostages. They said the policemen were seen in torn uniform after the attack of villagers and were admitted at the Sahiwal District Headquarters Hospital for treatment.

No case had been registered against the accused for attacking or robbing police officials until the filing of this report. Instead, Advocate Mehmood filed a first information report (FIR) against the station house officer (SHO) and nine unidentified policemen at the Renala Police Station for injuring his brother Asif. He said Asif was playing in the village when policemen opened indiscriminate fire and injured him. Mehmood said the act of opening indiscriminate fire had angered the people, who then attacked the police. He denied knowing Shair and alleged there was no criminal in sight.

Renala Police Station moharrar Amjad Hussain said the injured police officials had not filed a complaint for registration of the FIR. He said SHO Rao Shafqaat was in the hospital after suffering serious injuries. He said the other policemen were in stable condition. The moharrar said the area had been declared a zone extremely unsafe for the police but it still raided the area to arrest the criminal.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009\03\12\story_12-3-2009_pg13_7

Last edited by a moderator:
So where's Okara relative to Lahore (I guess) and what's up with these 200 armed neighbors with sophisticated weapons.

This stuff just gets more wild all the time.

"The moharrar said the area had been declared a zone extremely unsafe for the police but it still raided the area to arrest the criminal."

This is Punjab, is it not? Are all the "neighbors" LeT?

Alleged terrorist’s neighbours disarm police, help Ali Shair escape
* Advocate says villagers got furious after police opened indiscriminate fire, injured children

LAHORE: One of the suspects of the Liberty terrorist attack who was arrested managed to escape after his neighbours intervened and attacked the police party, eventually taking the police as hostages, Daily Times learnt on Wednesday.

Sources said on directions of the Sahiwal district police officer (DPO), the City Chichawatni Police Station House Officer (SHO) Rao Shafqaat along with Elite Force personnel, raided and arrested one Ali Shair from the jurisdiction of Renala Police Station in Okara. The police had wanted Shair for his alleged involvement in the 3/3 terrorist attack in Lahore and several other cases of murder and robbery. The Punjab government had announced Rs 600,000 as his head money.

Police robbed: Police sources said they had arrested Shair but his neighbours succeeded in arranging his escape by taking the police as hostages after seizing their weapons. They said the accused escaped with nine sub machine guns, one 444-bore rifle, two 30-bore pistols, a wireless set, six mobile phones, and Rs 50,000 in cash after robbing the police. However, after intervention of other police officers, the hostages were released. They said over 200 people attacked the police with sophisticated weapons and took the policemen as hostages. They said the policemen were seen in torn uniform after the attack of villagers and were admitted at the Sahiwal District Headquarters Hospital for treatment.

No case had been registered against the accused for attacking or robbing police officials until the filing of this report. Instead, Advocate Mehmood filed a first information report (FIR) against the station house officer (SHO) and nine unidentified policemen at the Renala Police Station for injuring his brother Asif. He said Asif was playing in the village when policemen opened indiscriminate fire and injured him. Mehmood said the act of opening indiscriminate fire had angered the people, who then attacked the police. He denied knowing Shair and alleged there was no criminal in sight.

Renala Police Station moharrar Amjad Hussain said the injured police officials had not filed a complaint for registration of the FIR. He said SHO Rao Shafqaat was in the hospital after suffering serious injuries. He said the other policemen were in stable condition. The moharrar said the area had been declared a zone extremely unsafe for the police but it still raided the area to arrest the criminal.

Baki toh theek hai..

Cops in Pak Punjab must be well off.. they were carrying Rs 50,000.00 on them when they went to arrest a suspect ? !

Sounds like some sort of BS.

All 200 of them would be charged as accomplices in the Lahore attack, but the police didn't register any case.

i'm from okara, i called my cousin today and he didnt say anything abt this, so im guessin its all bs. Then our farm house is near renalla crazy and beautiful place.

Can you provide the link plz.

So where's Okara relative to Lahore (I guess) and what's up with these 200 armed neighbors with sophisticated weapons.

This stuff just gets more wild all the time.

"The moharrar said the area had been declared a zone extremely unsafe for the police but it still raided the area to arrest the criminal."

This is Punjab, is it not? Are all the "neighbors" LeT?

Okara is a 2 hour drive south of Lahore, but this article seems BS, GEO hasn't reported anything on it.

I don't think they were LeT, if anything happened the area is unsafe, there is a lot of criminal activity in this area, and lot of illegal(Alcohol and Drugs) stuff is made in this area, and there are always a lot of gun battles between Police and criminals.

Its a Daily Times link. The validity of this article is suspect, since they are the only ones reporting this, and the vilified Governor, Punjab, who is misusing the police as his personal thugs, owns this newspaper.

Who is he, this Salman Taseer? Prominent Pakistani name but a pretty swingin' guy.

His boys have impeccable taste in women.:lol:

What nonsense . Any news you do not like you want to denyy. Daily Times is one of best newspapers in Pakistan.

This is very serious people are attacking police.

What nonsense . Any news you do not like you want to denyy. Daily Times is one of best newspapers in Pakistan.

umm, i think a pakistani would know, how best their news papers are.
Secondly Geo being the biggest news channel did not report this.
Thirdly i called my cousin n he lives in okara, there was nothing like this.

What is there to like or dislike? The facts are stated straight. Only one newspaper, reporting this? The SL attacker got away! That's big news!

Salman Taseer probably wants to keep the impression up that hes really on the hunt of these guys.

Sounds like some sort of BS.

All 200 of them would be charged as accomplices in the Lahore attack, but the police didn't register any case.

What you expect from a newspaper like Daily Times owned by Governor Slameen Taseer other than BS.

I think the report got its words messed up. The neighbours might have attacked the police team with weapons siezed from the police team itself, and not with their own sophisticated weapons.

umm, i think a pakistani would know, how best their news papers are.
Secondly Geo being the biggest news channel did not report this.
Thirdly i called my cousin n he lives in okara, there was nothing like this.

No. Being Pakistani is not qualification. I know. Daily Times and Dawn are 2 only credible papers. Rest are nonsense.

Maybe Geo is is not following the story. How you are making excuse?

Does you cousin live on the same road as terrorist? Then how will he know?

Maybe you are lying. Maybe you do not have cousin. Can you prove that you have cousin living in Okara?

Back
Top Bottom