What's new

Point 5353 in Pakistan's control Drass sector

Near Tiger Hill, Point 5353 still Pak-occupied

Posted: Mon Jul 13 2009, 02:11 hrs

Standing tall and dominating the famous Tiger Hill on the Line of Control (LoC) is a grim reminder of the Kargil war. Point 5353, the highest peak in the region which has a clear view of the National Highway 1 D, remains occupied by Pakistan even a decade after the battle.

While the point is clearly on the Indian side of the LoC, it remains in Pakistani control which has fortified it with reinforced bunkers and has even built a special road nearby to carry up supplies for soldiers.

The Indian Army, which made several unsuccessful attempts to occupy the post after the Kargil war, has since given up the post as “untenable” given the geography of the region that makes it fairly easy for Pakistani troops to climb.

What makes Point 5353 so valuable for the two armies is that it has a clear view of the national highway that connects the Kashmir valley with Kargil. The main reason the Army retaliated hard to the Pakistani intrusion in 1999 was that disruption of traffic on the road would cut off supplies to Ladakh and the Siachen glacier.

While officers say that Point 5353 is surrounded by three Indian posts, including Point 5240 and any action from there would be neutralised, the fact remains that artillery observers from the post can easily direct fire on a 25 km stretch of the national highway.

Besides, the most dominating feature in the region has a clear view of the Tiger Hill and surrounding areas. Sources say Pakistan has constructed concrete bunkers at the location and have a special supply base on their side of the LoC that has substantial reinforcements.

Several attempts to dislodge Pakistani troops from the posts with the help of artillery fire remained unsuccessful till action became impossible after the 2003 ceasefire. The Army has since given up the option of retaking the post in the larger interest of peace in the area.

Even a decade after the war and several revelations by Pakistani officers that the main aim of the intrusion was to cut off the strategic Drass-Kargil highway so that supplies to Siachen would dry up, the road remains under the threat of enemy fire. Besides Drass and Point 5353, several other stretches of the road at places like Kaksar are under Pakistani observation.

While a lot of papers were moved after the Army said that an alternative all-weather road to Leh and Siachen is urgently required, work on the ground remains extremely slow. Efforts are on to make the Manali-Leh highway into an all-weather road but even the most positive estimates say the strategic tunnel at Rohtang pass will take at least seven more years to complete.

Supplies for Leh and the Siachen glacier follow two basic routes — through the Rohtang pass on the Manali-Leh highway or through the Zojila pass on the Srinagar-Leh highway 1 D. While the 13,000 feet Rohtang pass remains cut off longer in winters, the 11,500 feet Zojila pass generally opens earlier and is used to carry supplies for Army units.

What is worrisome is that even after a decade of the Kargil war, highway 1 D remains under the threat of being cut off by enemy fire.

Near Tiger Hill, Point 5353 still Pak-occupied

:bunny:

I would beleive this news source that Pakistan still hold on to few heights in kargil. This news did flash in Indian news channels then and was refuted by the Army. The Army did refute initially that there was someone at all on top of those mountains , in the first case.

Army has for surely done it and manipulated information to save repurcassions from the government.

I would beleive this news source that Pakistan still hold on to few heights in kargil. This news did flash in Indian news channels then and was refuted by the Army. The Army did refute initially that there was someone at all on top of those mountains , in the first case.

Army has for surely done it and manipulated information to save repurcassions from the government.

army also committed det we will do it all ovr nxt tym......:sniper::victory:

IAFshotdown.PNG

The tail of an Indian air force MiG-21 fighter shot down by a Pakistani missile.

:cheers:

I find this Pakistani brotherhood for Kashmiris more bullshit than reality. If you ask me or any of the old-timer Indian faujis, they'll tell you- "Bacche, Pakistan ki bahut beizzati hui thi '71 mein. Woh '71 kabhi nahi bhoolenge."

I think '71 hurt your egos much,much more than you care to mention. It's kinda understandable. And you've tried really, really hard to get back at us.

We've both bled a lot.

The difference is that we in India have got our act together, economy-wise and politically. Not to make too fine a point, take Pakistan's name in a gathering of people outside the subcontinent and they'll ruefully shake their heads- or worse.

This conflict, caused by history or 'genuine pain' for your Muslim Kashmiri brothers....whatever.....is hurting you way, way more than us.

All the chill dudes sitting on your PCs and spending hours and hours writing about how much you sympathise with Kashmiris.......if you actually went to the Valley and asked people what the f*** they wanted, they'd say- JOBS! SECURITY! NOT TO DIE!!!! And then at some point they'd say.....Yeah, an independent Kashmir would be awesome.

I guess my point is, sure.....keep plotting. You don't lose anything, Kashmiris-the ones you 'louuuuuve' so much, suffer the most- because of your ego.

You don't love Kashmiris. You don't really give a s***. The sorry state of Pakistani Kashmir proves that. No use telling you to give up, because you won't. I'm just trying to tell you that your ego is hurting you.

Please go fix your economy and your political system. Take lessons from your good friends the Chinese and Turks.

And, this is my hundredth post. I am now a Captain in the Pakistan Defence Forum. Go figure...............

^^Please go fix your half a billion indians living under the poverty line. Half a billion with out toilets.

Ingorance, pseudo-arrogrance a bliss. :cheers:

lol, barathis say they won kargil war when they cannot even recapture the highest point 5353. Pathetic to say the least. :lol: :hitwall:

Kiddo .....We may have lost the Point 5353 war because we failed to recapture it..but then u failed in the Kargil war because u cannot hold onto it..

Correct.?? :pop:

^^Please go fix your half a billion indians living under the poverty line. Half a billion with out toilets.

Ingorance, pseudo-arrogrance a bliss. :cheers:

Ok, so how about this. We do all that, and you go learn the meaning of free will and freedom of speech.

Deal?

Kiddo .....We may have lost the Point 5353 war because we failed to recapture it..but then u failed in the Kargil war because u cannot hold onto it..

Correct.?? :pop:

No little child. 5353 is a strategic point. We were the agressors.. so we could not hold on to most what we captured but we did not LOSE any territory before conflict, we GAINED territory.

I don't know how you Indians think of what is a win or loss call all I see is we won, we won just to boost your ego. Kargil is a loss to India. If it was GENUINE win you would have reclaimed ALL territory lost.

Nobody besides Indians consider a win in a war when you are the defenders and could not even reclaim all territory lost.

Correct? :pop:

Ok, so how about this. We do all that, and you go learn the meaning of free will and freedom of speech.

Deal?

Ok we will do this when you will correct your mentality of not constantly raping women. Remember how Sierra Leone refused India's troops for peace keeping because of allegations of rape?

Wow, Jet Li.

I'm really impressed by your counter-argument. Your intelligence leaves me speechless. Also, your bravery at frankly showing your true nationality/ethnicity is wonderful.

Wow, Jet Li.

I'm really impressed by your counter-argument. Your intelligence leaves me speechless. Also, your bravery at frankly showing your true nationality/ethnicity is wonderful.

Naive child don't embarass yourself more. End it.

Back
Top Bottom