PM Modi’s US visit: India asks US for Predator C drones

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: IANS

uas-predator-c-avenger.jpg

India has formally asked the United States for Predator C Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles (UCAVs), a leading defence journal says. Reliable sources told India Strategic (www.indiastrategic.in) that the Predator C requirement has been mentioned at a very high level during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s just-concluded visit to Washington. Now that India is getting into the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR), President Barack Obama will ask the State and Defense Departments to consider the Indian request.

Predator C is made by General Atomics Aeronautical System Inc. (GA-ASI), which has already offered an unarmed version, Predator XP, to the Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Navy for reconnaissance purposes.

The number of drones required by India is not known but the UCAV, also known as Avenger, will be operated by the Indian Air Force which, in any case, is also short of manned combat jets. In the troubled terror-infested environment around India, a combination of manned and unmanned precision strike aircraft and systems is an immediate necessity.

The IAF had, in fact, asked the Ministry of Defence for strike drones – or UCAVs – at least six or seven years ago.

Avenger is a further development of the MQ 9 Reaper, which is extensively used by the US CIA to neutralise terrorists with precision strikes and minimum collateral damage.

Avenger has a turboprop engine, some stealth features, a highly sophisticated Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) for reconnaissance and targeting and can carry air-to-ground missiles like the Hellfire. It can be controlled from anywhere in the world through satellite connectivity.

Notably, although a strike drone like the Predator C has no onboard pilot, its operation requires a couple of people at the control station to monitor the target area and then to command the machine to shoot after due verification.

http://www.financialexpress.com/art...t-india-asks-us-for-predator-c-drones/278929/

@Abingdonboy remember? i told you
Although, a leading defence journal isn't a great source i would believe, but there is something cooking.

@Abingdonboy remember? i told you
Although, a leading defence journal isn't a great source i would believe, but there is something cooking.

What u mean cooking,? Already we asked for some 100 armed drones worth 2.5 billion use from us in 2015. But us offered surveillance drones as India was not a MTCR member. Now it's cleared latest Predators C are being discussed

This drone is a beast... It can fly for 18 hrs... Carry 3500 pounds. Can be loaded in wings 2000 pounds and underbelly secret Bay. Flys at 500 mph... At an altitude of 50,000 ft. Maximum range is more than 1200 miles

maximum altitude of 50,000 feet, and 18 hours endurance. Its significant payload capacity enables it to carry multiple sensors, while its internal weapons bay can house 3,500 pounds of precision munitions.

The next-generation Avenger employs the same materials and avionics as Predator B and is likewise controlled from and fully interoperable with GA-ASI Ground Control Stations (GCS) used for operating Predator-series aircraft. Avenger's low cost and advanced capabilities make it the optimum choice for employment in "swarm" tactics where affordable quantities count in a successful outcome.

In 2016, an extended range variant of Avenger will be available which will feature a 76-foot wingspan and increased fuel capacity that will increase the aircraft's endurance to 20 hours.

Performance

Max Altitude 50,000 ft
Max Endurance 18 hr
Max Airspeed 400 KTAS
Features:

• Jet performance and reliability
  • Reduced detection features
  • Internal stores carriage
  • Multiple payload capacity
  • Retractable Electo-optic/Infrared (EO/IR) gimbal
  • Triple-redundant avionics
  • Dual-redundant flight controls
  • Six external hard points
  • Compatible with all GA-ASI GCS
  • C-5/C-17 transportable (or self-deploy)

This drone can carry JDAM for precision strike making it as a tool of war in full scale conflicts against enemy forces. This version is stealth enhanced airframe makes it easier to breach enemy defence system.

It's makes it perfect candidate for Indian Armed forces in use against terror network deep inside Pakistan without any iota of evidence.

images

Will mostly be used against Naxalites in the Red corridor and may be in Myanmar and Bangladesh. India will not be using these against Pakistan. But Dawood and other known international terrorists - better be careful

Will mostly be used against Naxalites in the Red corridor and may be in Myanmar and Bangladesh. India will not be using these against Pakistan. But Dawood and other known international terrorists - better be careful

Problem is only when drones get marked on radar. India insisting on this type because it's stealth fast will leave no trace attacking enemy launch pad with precision strike missile like JDAM... It's gonna be raining he'll for each terror attacks in Kashmir and india

And Pakistan will be under great pressure to do nothing once drones evades Pakistan airspace. As it could be seen as aggressor who use terror proxies and don't act against these good terrorist.

@hellfire
Thanks for the tag brother.

I would like to give my personal opinion on this, first of all i highly doubt US sell this highly controversial tech to India...Why

India for sure uses it against China and Pakistan which resulted soar relations with both the countries.

Pakistan protest it loudly and US may loose edge over Pakistan in the name of do more against Haqani network and Pakistan may contact China for appropriate response (Chinese latest UCAV) with similar features.

12 to 15 mil a piece and any operation inside Pakistan may result in shooting down the drone and remains will never be handed back to US / India and Pakistan would use latest tech in home made drones.

Any successful strike inside Pakistan quickly accelerate the risk of nuclear war between the two nations and world may blame US for unbalancing the power in this region.

War between India & Pakistan is not in favor of US because India will loose military and economic power against rising China which is not in favor of US interests and same with Pakistan because of war anti US / India elements grew more powerful and P.A may be not able to control them.

I believe US foreign policy makers are smart enough to politely refuse to India.

I believe US foreign policy makers are smart enough to politely refuse to India.

Thank you sir for your opinion. I think we may be getting them. Harops along with its associated assembly we are already doing ...

Lets see how this plays out.

Tagged you as maybe you would like to keep a tag on the topic we were discussing the other day and why I was saying what I did ..

We can't use it beyond our territory in eastern nd Western side. Any CIA type operations by us against Pakistan nd China will trigger war.

Is this another case of India asking to be milked by the US?

Pls make your own drones.

Don't you guys ever feel ashamed by the fact that a nation of 1.2 billion has to rely on imported weapons for its armed forces?

Damn expensive weapons at the expenses of hundreds of millions of people Living in abject poverty.

Don't you guys ever feel ashamed by the fact that a nation of 1.2 billion has to rely on imported weapons for its armed forces?

Damn expensive weapons at the expenses of hundreds of millions of people Living in abject poverty.

Said the clown who after all his unabashed bragging meekly went to Russia with folded hands for Su35 and S-400.:cry::cry::cry: Some people never learn. So much for a country of 1.4 billion people.:china:

I know it is your timidity and inferiority complex that forces you poverty in an unrelated thread. :lol::lol::lol:

@waz Please take care of the off topic posts.

Last edited:

Are

Aren't you ashamed that a nation of 1.5 billion people has to steal & copy technologies from other nations ?

When we Indians are considered one the biggest technology thieves of this century, why would Indians be ashamed of buying legally.

India has always been like that

During 1960s, just after Great Leap forward when several Indians were in abject poverty or starving, Wretched Indian Govt chose to continue with expensive weapon developments like ICBMs and SSNs at the cost of its civilians

I dont think we need it, and I would be surprised if US sells this...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom