What's new

PM Choices

Fahim likely to be PM

NAVEED BUTT

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Senior Vice Chairman Makhdoom Amin Fahim is likely to be nominated as the Party’s candidate for Prime Minister in the meeting of the Parliamentary Party on Thursday, sources revealed to The Nation.
“Makhdoom from Hala is the only choice for the premiership and he alone can take the party along,” a senior Party leader said on condition of anonymity. Commenting on the confusion and uncertainty about the nomination of leader of the Parliamentary Party in the National Assembly, another Party leader said that after the nomination of Syed Qaim Ali Shah for the slot of CM Sindh and Nisar Khoro as candidate for Speaker of the Sindh Assembly, the chances of Makhdoom Amin Fahim to become the Parliamentary Party leader of the Party in the National Assembly (and subsequently the PM) had increased manifold.
The sources said that most of the Party leaders were not accepting a prime ministerial candidate other than Makhdoom Amin Fahim.

The Nation

Mujahidin, Are you information secretary of PPP?
Please, tell us your personal views, either whom you think better fit for the job and possibly your reasons.
Every 5 minutes PPP change its nominee and you are wasting here both time and space.
It all changed from yesterday, when I said Mukhtar is a better choice and some Indian from this forum ordered Zardari to change his nomination to the worst.
PPP should come out of party politics and choose a candidate who fits best for the job and its members should stand up for the casue people voted them and refuse to get dictated by ZAredari in undemocratic fashion.

Mujahidin, Are you information secretary of PPP?
Please, tell us your personal views, either whom you think better fit for the job and possibly your reasons.
Every 5 minutes PPP change its nominee and you are wasting here both time and space.
It all changed from yesterday, when I said Mukhtar is a better choice and some Indian from this forum ordered Zardari to change his nomination to the worst.
PPP should come out of party politics and choose a candidate who fits best for the job and its members should stand up for the casue people voted them and refuse to get dictated by ZAredari in undemocratic fashion.

Well I am no information secretary but since no one is posting the views of the newspapers I thought I would do it.
As far as my personal views are concerned about who should be Prime Minister I think that Amin Fahim should get the job. He is soft spoken and according to recent polls most Pakistanis want him to ge the job. But reading the newspapers I am not sure if this will happen because then the PPP will be accused by PML-N and PML-Q and some other parties of making Sindh the center of power. It is indeed unfortunate that in our politics we must involve ethnicities because if the brain and qualification is in one province then they should be picked.
The issue of the Prime Minister in my opinion will divide the PPP. The reason being their is a group who supports the idea of Fahim becomming Prime Minister because he is the most senior and Benazir had said that he would be almost like a vice-Prime Minister. I really do see the PPP of spliting itself into two groups one led by Fahim which will probably be the most popular, one led by Zardari which is probably going to be a Sindhi nationalist party which will have almost no support and one party which is going to favor a Prime Minister from Punjab. Honestly it really doesn't matter who becomes Prime Minister because this government at the most will last 2 years.

^^What polls are you talking about?
I never heard of any such referendum!
I can never believe that Zardari is democratic enough to respect any such referendum.
Views of news papers are not divine verses and don't you get upset when every day a new candidate comes forward and you have to post more or less same text again just with a change of name.
Did your brain work beyond news that how unfair PPP is that they will choose PM not on merits!
Principally, they should look who have the highest qualification and who have the capacity to serve in capacity of CEO.
You can find many soft spoken in Pakistan, does this mean that they all have prospects to become PM.
If BB have declared him his deputy than why did she not appointed him in her dictatorial will?
Ahmed Mukhtar is already a CEO of a multinational local company and have some experience of organizational structure, where as Amin Fahim is a product of wadayra and wadayri culture.
Man does not have courage enough to ask for his right for party leadership, where seniority may matter most.

I can never believe that Zardari is democratic enough to respect any such referendum.
Views of news papers are not divine verses and don't you get upset when every day a new candidate comes forward and you have to post more or less same text again just with a change of name.
Did your brain work beyond news that how unfair PPP is that they will choose PM not on merits!
Principally, they should look who have the highest qualification and who have the capacity to serve in capacity of CEO.
You can find many soft spoken in Pakistan, does this mean that they all have prospects to become PM.
If BB have declared him his deputy than why did she not appointed him in her dictatorial will?
Ahmed Mukhtar is already a CEO of a multinational local company and have some experience of organizational structure, where as Amin Fahim is a product of wadayra and wadayri culture.
Man does not have courage enough to ask for his right for party leadership, where seniority may matter most.

I think you have interpertuted my statment the wrong way or maybe I didn't make myself clear well in any case I will try to clear up the misunderstanding now.
As far as the Prime Minister job is concerned I stand by that statment that Fahim should be made the Prime Minister. Now when I said polls I was talking about the polls that the media conducts, I think 75% of the people wanted Fahim to be Prime Minister. Now again I personally dont believe these polls, but speaking fom personal experience I get the feeling that most Pakistanis around me also want him to be Prime Minister.
Now you made a good point that every day the headline is the same but the names have changed. With all due respect the names have not changed much because these politicians have been around for the past 60 years, its like they have inheriated their seat and the seat will probably be passed on to their heirs, something that I am totally against.
When I said Benazir's deputy is Fahim again I stand by it he is in fact the most senior leader of the party and again like I said Benazir did kind of endorse him for the Prime Minister's job. For example because as of now their is a ban on the third time Prime Ministership, Benazir said Fahim would be the Prime Minister until the law is changed so that she can be the Prime Minister. As far as her will is concerned, I personally believe their is no will and whatever will we have in front of us was written by Zaradari(This is just my personal opinion other people might differ). I personally think Zaradari doesn;t wan Fahim to be the Prime Minister because honestly he commands more respect then him in the party and also with the people.
Now let us get to qualifications. As I have made it clear we have political dynasties where seats are inheriated. Now the reason I consider Fahim as most qualified is because, first of all the PPP must choose the candidate. Now in the PPP he is no doubt the most senior leader who has been with the party a long time. One thing I dont like about Fahim is that like you said he is part of the waydara culture, he is a PPP mamber(people should note that I personally dont like the PPP), he is a big zamindar and also his sister is married to the Koran. The point you made about him having the courage is a good point. But you should remember that for example when the captain of a cricket team is chosen they dont ask for it they are given that role. The reason is if he does ask for it people would loose respect for him, but I think he is such a senior member of the party that he should ask for it.
Now these are the ground realities, now if i had it my way my candidates for the Prime Ministership would be Shukat Aziz, Mullana Fazullar Rehman, Aftandyar Wali Khan, Ameen Fahim or someone from Balushistan.
Shukat Aziz-We dont need to say much about him. He is in my opinion an honest man and in the long run he will be given credit for turning around Pakistan's economy. Right now our economy needs people like him, when he spoke people listen because he was known internationally.
Fazullar Rehman-Most people would not agree with me and I know by saying his name many people on this forum will accusing me of being an extermists but just hear me out. The reason I say his name is because he infact does has links to extermists. We can use this link to help us fighting terrorism. We must remember the real extermist is Qazi Ahmed Hussain. When Lal Masjid incident took place this man was the one running all over Islamabad trying to defuse the tension and in fact he was the first to condemm the Rasheed brothers. We saw him conducting a Jirga with the Mehsud tribe after which fighting stopped in the region. Please dont hold this against me.
Aftandiyar Wali-He is the grandson of Dr. Khan Sahib who refused to salute the Pakistani flag and stood for Pustun nationalism. The reason I say his name is because again like the Mulana he has link and can be useful in rooting out extermist and believe I really dont like him because of his nationists ideas but for the sake of Pakistan I am willing to put that aside.
Fahim- I will not discuss in detials because we already have and the reason I say his name first of all his party has a majority and he is the most qualified in my opinion out of all of his party members. Another reaosn is with the killing of Benazir, people in Sindh feel this was a conspiricy against the Sindhi people and their passion are high right now we must give them some power so they feel infact they are not being neglected. Right now in Sindh the chant is PAKISTAN NA KHAPA meaing we dont want Pakistan, we must make them feel that they are Pakistanis and the chant should be PAKISTAN KHAPA meaning we want Pakistan.
Someone from Baluchistan-I think may be Jamali can be brought back. The reason is the same as Sindh, that people feel neglected and we must give them power and also they can help us negotiate with the Baluch nationist groups.
If you guys look at the list above I have either given a nationalist leader and leaders who have infact inheriated their seats. Who ever the next leader of Pakistan is we must mend all differences. People want to divide us but we must be smarter then that, we have given alot of sacrifices for our freedom and we cant let them go to waste. We saw those sacrifices go to waste in 1971 and please I beg all of you to stop this from happening again. Let us put aside all of our differences and for once think for the sake of Pakistan, where our children will live. What will we tell our chiildren that as the country was going to the dogs we stood by and watched. We cant let this question be asked by our kids, we must do something now for Pakistan. When I die I dont want god to say I gave you Pakistan and what did you do for it, you split it in two. People like Laiquat Ali, Quaid, Allama, the leaders of our Independence movement the Saheeds who died for Pakistan, the soldier who gaurd Pakistan will ask me what did you do for Pakistan? For gods sake whatever is remaining of Pakistan let it be, lets make it stronger.
Note this is my personal view and I doubt that most people agree with me infact most people will disagree with me. Please these are my opinions other people have theirs and we must learn to accept them be more tolerant because I think what we really need right now is tollerance.
PAKISTAN ALWAYS ZINDABAD!:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

What I think is that since PML N is going to form the gov in Punjab and now with the support of PML Q forward block and INDs they have more than 50 % majority.

What PPP suspects is that Nawaz Shariff is going to form the gov in Punjab and Shahbaz will be the chief minister .In such a situation Peoples party could lose its vote bank in Punjab as Shahbaz will initially try to start many good programs.

PPPP as it would share power in Sindh,Balochistan,NWFP will try to retain its vote.

But they will find it hard to retain their vote in Punjab with Shahbaz becoming the CM.

So to retain their vote in Punjab .Now they want a PUNJABI Prime minster.

Their options are Yusuf Raza Gilani,Shah Mehmood Qureshi,Ahmed Mukhtar.

Among them I would prefer Ahmed Mukhtar.

PM candidate; PPP expected to break silence Thursday

ISLAMABAD, Mar 5 (APP): Pakistan People’s Party is expected to break the silence Thursday by announcing its candidate for post of the Prime Minister after a meeting of Parliamentary Party at Zardari House.All the members-elect of the National Assembly including those elected on the reserved seats for women and minorities, and the independent MNAs who have joined PPP would attend the meeting convened by the PPP co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari.

“Senior PPP Vice Chairman Makhdoom Amin Fahim is likely to be nominated as the party’s candidate for PM in the meeting,” sources said Wednesday.

“Most of the party members and leaders during the deliberation process have supported Makhdoom Amin Fahim,” the sources said. .

Earlier, Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) spokesman Farhatullah Babar had also said on Monday that Makhdoom Amin Fahim was still the front runner for the slot of prime minister but a decision would be made by the party’s Central Executive Committee.

Pakistan People’s Party co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari, on ‘soyem’ of slain PPP chairperson Benazir Bhutto in Naudero, had publicly announced to nominate Makhdoom Amin Fahim as PM candidate in case of election victory. However, speculations emerged as the party took long time for deliberations after the February 18 General Elections.

Meanwhile, Zardari has also held final meetings with senior party colleagues Sayed Raza Rabani, Yousuf Raza Gillani, Qamar Zaman Qaira, Sherry Rahman, Syed Naveed Qamar and others till late Wednesday night, the sources said.

Amin Fahim was Parliamentary Leader of PPP-Parliamentarians-the party constituted after exile of Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto and was also fielded as presidential candidate in October last year.

app - PM candidate; PPP expected to break silence Thursday

PM from Punjab or Sindh?

our STAFF REPORTER

LAHORE-As the Federal capital is abuzz with speculations about the future PM of Pakistan, the Parliamentary party of the PPP is meeting in Islamabad on Thursday (today) at Zardari House to take some key decisions regarding its nominees to fill prestigious offices in the Parliament, the most important, however, being the one about its nominee for the Prime Ministerial slot.
Whether the PPP would take a PM from Punjab or Sindh, the decision is likely on Thursday(today).
Though senior party leader Makhdoom Amin Fahim is still the hot favourite, but a decision to nominate PM from Punjab would not come as a surprise in the context of party leaders statements hinting at such an eventuality.
All PPP members-elect of the National Assembly including those elected on the reserved seats for women and minorities have been asked to attend today’s crucial meeting. The PPP chief Asif Ali Zardari is scheduled to announce the names of party candidates for the offices of PM, the Speaker, Deputy Speaker and Parliamentary leader after the meeting, but he is still holding his cards close to his chest for obvious reasons.
The office of Speaker in the National Assembly, however, is likely to go to PML(N) if its leadership agrees to sit in the coalition govt.
As per party sources, Asif Zardari on Wednesday held important meetings with senior party leaders including Makhdoom Amin Fahim, Yousaf Raza Gillani, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Raza Rabbani, Qamar Zaman Qira, Sherry Rehman, Syed Naveed Qamar and others to seek their opinion on the issue in question. According to insiders, majority of the party men supported Amin Fahim to be elevated to the said office.
Earlier, the PPP Co-Chairman Asif Ali Zardari at the ‘soyem’ of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto in Naudero projected Makhdoom Amin Fahim as the party candidate to occupy the slot, but later statements by Zardari himself and other senior party leaders indicated a shift in party policy.
Majority of members in party’s Central Executive Committee also want Amin Fahim to be nominated as PM.
Meanwhile, a PPP source seeking anonymity said on Wednesday that it was a strategic move on his party’s part to keep the name of its PM secret in a bid to avoid expected manipulation by the establishment which allegedly jumped into the game the moment it sensed Amin Fahim as the potential candidate.
It was after this development that names of Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Yousaf Raza Gillani and Ch Ahmad Mukhtar were deliberately floated as a tactical move to counter any possible manoeuvrings by the powers that be, he further disclosed, while ,adding, that Makhdoom Amin Fahim was still the front-runner, but the possibility of taking a PM from Punjab could not be ruled out.

The Nation

Oh puhleez. All Nawaz wants is the Punjab. And their is no way Zardari will give it to him.

Weired both have decided to have coalition in Punjab with the PPPP why would they want Punjab.

All parties are joining the PPPP all pro democrates only this excludes MQM which is a terrorist group And the other anti Pakistan parties PML-Q etc .

Come on let the PPPP decide who can serve Pakistan after all it is the largest vote bank and is favoured the most to have Prime Minister, Mr Zardari asked ANP leader Aswanyar whali Khan to be the Prime Minister and freely chose his cabnit but he declined saying PPPP MUST chose the PM of Pakistan similar request made to PML-N and Nawaz formally said it is the right of PPPP now you can see the response of the major parties what makes you say PPPP hasn't got the PM's it is only matter of time.

Jiya Bhutto.

I , GUSS its to early to say that who wouldbe new PRIME MINSTER of pakistan. but that PM , willbe for short time , i guss MR, ZARDARI is 100% A CANDIDATE for that post . he can post MAKHDOM AMIN FAHIM for some period and than can lanch himself for the post.:wave::lol::usflag:

Come on let the PPPP decide who can serve Pakistan after all it is the largest vote bank and is favoured the most to have Prime Minister, Mr Zardari asked ANP leader Aswanyar whali Khan to be the Prime Minister and freely chose his cabnit but he declined saying PPPP MUST chose the PM of Pakistan similar request made to PML-N and Nawaz formally said it is the right of PPPP now you can see the response of the major parties what makes you say PPPP hasn't got the PM's it is only matter of time.

Jiya Bhutto.

Glad to hear from you after a long break.

No one is saying PPP has no right to nominate; the debate is why is PPP undecided till todate?
Is it because they lack an equally capable candidate as the predecessor?
Have you ever wondered why Zardari is asking every party to nominate his candidate and why every party is refusing his offer?
It is the competition which new government will be facing from the past government of Shaukat Aziz.
The biggest challenge for the new government is not to maintain the economy at the point where he left instead they have to keep the momentum of growth.
Do you really think PPP who has failed to deliver under the leadership of Baynazir can deliver under the leadership of your Mr. Zardari Bhutto?
Le t me ask you if you would be the on Zardari’s position, than whom do you nominate?

Spotlight back on Fahim for premiership

By Raja Asghar

ISLAMABAD, March 5: After going adrift for a while, focus seems to have reverted to Makhdoom Amin Fahim before the parliamentary group of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) meets on Thursday to pick its prime ministerial nominee to lead a landmark coalition of election winners.

Mr Fahim has been the front-runner for the prime minister’s office after the PPP emerged as the largest party in the Feb 18 elections and party co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari said he would not be in the run as he had not contested for a National Assembly seat.

But dark clouds of uncertainty appeared on the horizon recently in what seemed to be an orchestrated whispering campaign suggesting a sidelining of the party old guard from the main PPP power base of Sindh province, though there was no indication if possible alternatives mentioned were involved in the potentially damaging exercise so soon after the party’s election victory and while the new coalition of former political foes was yet to take shape.

However, the nomination of Syed Qaim Ali Shah, a federal minister in the 1970s in the cabinet of then prime minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, for the Sindh province chief minister and two other senior party figures as provincial assembly speaker and PPP parliamentary group leader signalled a possible concern about the sensitivities of the party rank and file and dangers in upsetting the presumed preferences of assassinated party leader Benazir Bhutto.

No agenda has been announced for Thursday’s meeting of the PPP’s newly elected National Assembly members --- including those elected to the reserved seats for women and minorities and independents who have joined the party --- which is due to begin at 11am at Mr Zardari’s Islamabad residence.

But party sources said a formal choice of the prime ministerial candidate would be the most important moot point.

PPP spokesman Farhatullah Babar said the gathering would be in furtherance of meetings of party leadership held so far after the elections and described it as a “process of crystallisation of decisions”. He declined to elaborate or speak about the possible candidates to be considered for the prime ministership or whether the meeting would also discuss the party’s planned coalition with the Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) and the National Awami Party as well as proposed association with other groups.

Previous media speculations about the chances of Mr Fahim’s selection have mentioned former National Assembly speaker Syed Yousaf Raza Gillani, Punjab PPP president Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Qureshi and former commerce minister Chaudhry Ahmad Mukhtar as possible alternatives, mainly on the ground that the PPP must have a prime minister from the Punjab in order to strengthen its position in the province where its one-time adversary and new ally Pakistan Muslim League-N has done much better on Feb 18.

But none of these figures has publicly expressed a desire for the office at the cost of the man who has led the party’s electoral and parliamentary arm --- PPP Parliamentarians --- since the 2002 election and who is known to have refused President Pervez Musharraf’s offer to take the job at the time on the condition he would not do then self-exiled Ms Bhutto’s bidding.

Mr Zardari had first mentioned Mr Fahim as Ms Bhutto’s choice for prime minister after the party central executive committee (CEC) meeting in Garhi Khuda Bakhsh only days after the assassination of the party leader and said the CEC would take any further decision.

But party sources said no new meeting of the CEC --- to which at least four new members have been nominated by Mr Zardari in recent days --- had been called to discuss the issue, while the PPP and its other coalition partners --- PML-N and the Awami National Pray --- are pressing for an early session of the National Assembly so a new government could take reins of power in the face of perceived manoeuvres of President Musharraf to regroup his defeated loyalists to defend him against future dangers to his office.

Spotlight back on Fahim for premiership -DAWN - Top Stories; March 06, 2008

Name for PM will be finalised by the time NA session is called: Zardari ‘PPP-PML-N differences persist’

* PPP constitutes committee to chalk out strategy with PML-N, working with Musharraf

By Zulfiqar Ghuman

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari said on Thursday that though major issues had been sorted out with coalition partners—alluding mainly to Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz—but ‘small matters’ remained unresolved.

Zardari also said the nominee for the prime minister slot would be finalised by the time the National Assembly was called into session, but reiterated that he was not in the running.

“I would have been the candidate for prime minister by virtue of the party office [I hold], but I have decided not to be a candidate,” he said.

Although the party tried to project the impression that delaying the nomination for the premiership was a tactical move, party sources cited internal differences over the prime ministerial candidates — Makhdoom Amin Fahim, Yousaf Raza Gilani, Makhdoom Shah Mehmood Qureshi and Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar — and the behind-the-scenes negotiations with the Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q).

The negotiations were being pursued in case the PPP failed to work out modalities with the PML-Nawaz, the sources said. The party was finding it hard to reach a working relationship with PML-N on the key issues of the restoration of the judiciary and working with President Musharraf, they added.

At the meeting, sources said Zardari had taken the party’s National Assembly members-elect into confidence on the ongoing dialogue with other political parties on government formation.

Committee: The party named a five-member committee, consisting of Mian Raza Rabbani, Farooq H Naek, Sherry Rehman, Raja Pervez Ashraf and Syed Naveed Qamar to chalk out a working formula with the PML-N.

The PPP co-chairman also announced that he would conduct further meetings with the party’s MNAs-elect from each division, separately, from today (Friday) to decide which prime ministerial candidate had the broadest support.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Glad to hear from you after a long break.

No one is saying PPP has no right to nominate; the debate is why is PPP undecided till todate?
Is it because they lack an equally capable candidate as the predecessor?
Have you ever wondered why Zardari is asking every party to nominate his candidate and why every party is refusing his offer?
It is the competition which new government will be facing from the past government of Shaukat Aziz.
The biggest challenge for the new government is not to maintain the economy at the point where he left instead they have to keep the momentum of growth.
Do you really think PPP who has failed to deliver under the leadership of Baynazir can deliver under the leadership of your Mr. Zardari Bhutto?
Le t me ask you if you would be the on Zardari’s position, than whom do you nominate?

PPP has lived up to its word, Miss Sheri has said to the media that they have looked at who they will nominate as PM, therefore they whish to keep this their secret until the government allows the political parthies to take oath untill than at has been kept as secret so that musharraf does not create road blocks to PPP, PM.

If I were in Mr Zardari place I would make the ANP leader Mr Aswan Yar Wali Khan and let him freely choose his cabinate, I feel that best thing for Pakistan as that bastard dictatot murdered Bugti who could have been negotiated to stop the bloodshed as he had major share of power of Baloachistan, ANP leader knows how Bloach terrorism can stop but Aswan Yar Wali Khan is man greate pride and honor, but Mr Zardari took this thought first and the ANP leader refused and I read that he couldn't as he felt that the best approach would be by allowing PPP to initially allow there PM to run the country and he may later in during the tenure may be made PM it is important that Aswan Yar Wali Khan take power as he knows the Bloach terrorism solution, I wished he didn't put his pride but what can I say he is Pathan.

Back
Top Bottom