What's new

PLAN Aircraft Carrier Varyag Latest Update

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
PLAN Aircraft Carrier Varyag Latest Update

This is a shot of the Sea Eagle radar on top of Varyag

varyagseaeaglenov19.jpg

The other thing we can see is wide installations of Type 730 CIWS and HQ-10 (Chinese version of SeaRAM) on Varyag. They are installed in the 4 locations that Kashtan and AK-630 used to be installed on Admiral K class.

In each of those locations, the 2 Kashtan + 1 AK-630 (maybe 2 AK-630 in a couple of spots) are now replaced by 1 Type 730, 1 HQ-10 and 1 mysterious installation (appears to be some kind multi-purpose rocket launcher for decoy purpose).

varyagtype730nov19.jpg

varyagnov195.jpg

varyaghq10nov19.jpg

And finally, We see more work on the deck. see smoke coming out, testing of auxiliary diesel generators. there are some serious work going on inside the ship.

How do you know it's the auxiliary diesel generators and not the main power plant?

How many combat aircraft can the Varyag hold? If it's less than 40, then it's not quiet menacing in terms of air power.

For now, no answers

My Chinese friends will shout at me, if I shared high profile information here

Oh, you mean the Admiral of PLAN and the Defence Minister of China.
In that case, please don't say anything to make them angry.;)

How many combat aircraft can the Varyag hold? If it's less than 40, then it's not quiet menacing in terms of air power.

It can probably hold around 40, but they won't all be J-15's. Maybe a combination of J-15's and L-15's.

It can probably hold around 40, but they won't all be J-15's. Maybe a combination of J-15's and L-15's.

Great! How about JXXs? Once the JXX carrier version is ready, can the Varyag hold JXXs too(of course i am assuming in the future, like 10 years later or beyond).

HQ-10 could be called a Chinese version of RAM, but not SeaRAM. SeaRAM uses its own sensor and radar packages like other CIWS, but HQ-10 works like those RAM launchers by operating with information feed from the ship's radar system.

Will the Varyag actually be used by the PLAN as an operational platform, or will it just be used as a training platform to practice carrier take-off and landing?

Will the Varyag actually be used by the PLAN as an operational platform, or will it just be used as a training platform to practice carrier take-off and landing?

We do not know yet. I tend to think it will be made fully operational. The air-defense and sensor/radar packages being fitted are very expensive. IMO Installing Type 730 CIWS on a training ship is something the generally frugal PLAN would unlikely to do. They'll probably use much cheaper AK-630 instead if it's only a training ship.

We do not know yet. I tend to think it will be made fully operational. The air-defense and sensor/radar packages being fitted are very expensive. IMO Installing Type 730 CIWS on a training ship is something the generally frugal PLAN would unlikely to do. They'll probably use much cheaper AK-630 instead if it's only a training ship.

Does the Varyag have engines now? Last time I checked it didn't.

btw does China have the capability to build its own aircraft carrier engines? I know India doesn't yet which is why we are buying American LM2500 turbines for the Vikrant class carriers.

Does the Varyag have engines now? Last time I checked it didn't.

btw does China have the capability to build its own aircraft carrier engines? I know India doesn't yet which is why we are buying American LM2500 turbines for the Vikrant class carriers.

To be honest I've no idea if they have put the engines in.

Varyag is originally designed with steam engines and judging from the decision to refit Varyag in Dalian Shipyard (which has considerable experience in steam engines other shipyards in China may no longer possess), I would say Varyag will mostly be fitted with steam engines, which China can produce.

It won't matter. Varyag will be used for training. J-15 and J-10C are all that will be deployed on there.

Back
Top Bottom