What's new

Peshawar's luscious BBQ cuisine - a major attraction for meat-lovers in Pakistan

If only they put the same skills in excelling at vegetarian cuisine.
No one eats veg here, only if you are extremely poor then u have dal

5c2dd06bbbe42.jpg

Peshawar has retained its reputation for Pakistan's tastiest cuisine despite bearing the brunt of militancy.
AFPPublished about 4 hours ago
The sweet aroma of mutton smoke drifts through a maze of crumbling alleyways, a barbecue tang that for decades has lured meat-eaters from across Pakistan to the frontier city of Peshawar.

The ancient city has retained its reputation for some of Pakistan's tastiest cuisine despite bearing the brunt of the country's bloody war with militancy.

5c2dcb04e3d3f.jpg

University student Mohammad Fahad had long heard tales of Peshawar's famed mutton.

“Earlier we heard of Peshawar being a dangerous place,” he told AFP. But security has improved in recent years, and he finally made the hours-long journey from the eastern city of Lahore to see if the famous barbecue could live up to the hype.
5c2dca76000ca.jpg

“We are here just to see what the secret to this barbecue is,” he says, excitedly awaiting his aromatic portion in Namak Mandi — “Salt Market” — located in the heart of Peshawar.

The hearty cuisine comes from generations-old recipes emanating from the nearby Pashtun tribal lands along the border with Afghanistan.

It is feted for its simplicity compared with the intricate curries and spicy dishes from Pakistan's eastern plains and southern coast.
5c2dca6554612.jpg

5c2dcd1136e7f.jpg

“Its popularity is owed to the fact that it is mainly meat-based and that always goes down well across the country,” says Pakistani cookbook author Sumayya Usmani.

The famed Nisar Charsi (hashish smoker) Tikka — named after its owner's renowned habit — in Namak Mandi chalks up its decades of success to using very little in the way of spices.

For its barbecue offerings, tikkas are generously salted and sandwiched on skewers between cubes of fat for tenderness and taste, and slow-cooked over a wood fire.
5c2dcd7d7ea47.jpg

Its other famed dish, karahi — or curry stew — is made with slices of mutton pan-cooked in heaped chunks of white fat carved from the sheep's rump, along with sparing amounts of green chilli and tomatoes.

Both plates are served with stacks of oven-fresh naan and bowls of fresh yogurt.
5c2dcd853fdad.jpg

“It is the best food in the entire world,” gushes co-owner Nasir Khan, adding that the restaurant sources some of the best meat in the country and serves customers from across Pakistan daily along with local regulars.

By Khan's calculations, the restaurant goes through hundreds of kilogrammes of meat a day — or about two dozen sheep — with hundreds if not thousands served.

Hash and meat
The clientele at Nisar's Charsi and other Salt Market eateries usually arrive in large groups, with experienced customers ordering food by the kilo and guiding cleaver-wielding butchers to their preferred cuts, which are then cooked immediately.
5c2dcaccf11d0.jpg

Peshawar's improved security has given business a boost, Khan said.

“We had a lot of troubles and pains,” he admitted, remembering friends lost during the years of devastating bombings and suicide attacks.

But some customers said they had been loyal to Peshawar's cuisine even during the bloodshed.

“I've been coming here for more than 20 years now,” said Hammad Ali, 35, who travelled to Peshawar with eight other colleagues from Pakistan's capital Islamabad for a gluttonous lunch.

“This taste is unique, that's why we have come all this way.”

5c2dcea1a731f.jpg

Orders generally take close to an hour to prepare, with customers quaffing tea and occasionally smoking hash ahead of the meal.

“They smoke it openly here,” explained Nisar Charsi's head chef Mukam Pathan. “When someone smokes one joint of hash, they eat around two kilos of meat.”

5c2dce4b0f06c.jpg

For those looking for a little less lamb, the city's renowned chapli kebab offers an alternative.

The kebab is typically made of minced beef and a mix of spices kneaded into patties and deep fried on a simmering iron skillet.

5c2dce9e8ad94.jpg

Rokhan Ullah, owner of Tory Kebab House, said the dish is most popular on cold, winter days that see ravenous customers flocking to its four branches across the city, overwhelming staff and making orders hard to fill.

“They eat it with passion...because one enjoys hot food when the weather is cold,” explained Ullah, who plans to expand in major cities across Pakistan.

5c2dcf45eb0fc.jpg
This is amazing on a cold, dry day in winter. Followed by some hot, green tea to wash it all down. Some say the kababs of mardan are better then Pekhawar, but that's nothing but propaganda. Pekhawar kho Pekhawar de

@HariPrasad
respect for your gowmata...RIGHT here baby! Respect and appreciation for the holy cow don't get better than this! :angel:

@HariPrasad
respect for your gowmata...RIGHT here baby! Respect and appreciation for the holy cow don't get better than this! :angel:

I think you guys missed my point. Generally I do not try to explain my point in detail but in this case let me give a try.

This culture has accepted " Milking of resources of nature" against the western concept of "Exploiting the nature". Our philosophy and value system teaches us to protect everything which is useful and friendly to human being. The concept of killing and eating whatever is available is western and Chinese concept who even don't spare snakes, cockroaches etc. You must know that even Quran says that DO not eat cow flesh, drink her milk. It is safa.

I think you guys missed my point. Generally I do not try to explain my point in detail but in this case let me give a try.

This culture has accepted " Milking of resources of nature" against the western concept of "Exploiting the nature". Our philosophy and value system teaches us to protect everything which is useful and friendly to human being. The concept of killing and eating whatever is available is western and Chinese concept who even don't spare snakes, cockroaches etc. You must know that even Quran says that DO not eat cow flesh, drink her milk. It is safa.
Ziada yup yup nako buk aur apnay bunghole pay burnol laga kay gowjal ki tunkaari laga chal ja bhag ja shabash! ;)

Our Pukhtoon brothers are living with the perfect diet.

Lamb is completely under-rated, but in KPK it’s a staple diet.

More beef, lamb, goat, chicken promotes healthy lifestyle and muscle growth.

Most Dal, along with kerele and other veggies, are estrogen producing.

I watched that Wiens' on the chapli; man i was really taken aback how the mince meat was on the floor. man negative on the hygiene.

Our Pukhtoon brothers are living with the perfect diet.

Lamb is completely under-rated, but in KPK it’s a staple diet.

More beef, lamb, goat, chicken promotes healthy lifestyle and muscle growth.

Most Dal, along with kerele and other veggies, are estrogen producing.
Friend.. let us correct something. It is sheep not lamb.

Lamb is not halal or kosher as it is still drinking milk and completely haram;

You must know that even Quran says that DO not eat cow flesh, drink her milk. It is safa.

Most ignorant thing that i read on internet today. You obviously haven't read Quran yourself; probably that's bhajan from your local pandit speaking where he justify things by making shit up. Educate yourself, these yogis and pandits and sadhus aren't gonna take you far.

@Slav Defence

My friend,
There is absolutely no such thing mentioned in the Quran.The book of Quran teaches mankind that he is one of the most dignified specie and is meant to live with dignity and is taught that Allah(SWT) is the one and true God who created entire universe.Since he is not bounded in any space-time mechanism but rather a creator by himself therefore is not bounded to any laws of it but rather, a law maker by himself.Since he is ever lasting and the one where the point of existence itself starts, therefore is not in need of children or associates .For him every soul shall return.He fedups not and encompasses any massive to minutest detail of his creation, therefore has send commandments.
Food:
Quran encourages healthy and pure lifestyle and forbids any food that is either injurious to health, makes man mentally unstable or any thing that is dirty or napak.Hence, Quran has strongly forbidden the Alcohol, Pork, blood, scavenger birds, carnivorous animals, flesh of dead animals,animals slaughtered in the name of other than Allah(SWT) etc.
Unless there is scarcity of food and chances are of dying, man is no way on earth allowed to eat flesh of those animals who died.
Animals that are permissible to eat are Goat, Cow, Rabbit, deer etc.Mostly all herbivorous and grain eating birds such as pigeon, dove etc.However, ulemas of Islam have described some limitations regarding some birds and allowed eating certain.You will be finding answers clearly when you will search.
Regards

My friend,
There is absolutely no such thing mentioned in the Quran.The book of Quran teaches mankind that he is one of the most dignified specie and is meant to live with dignity and is taught that Allah(SWT) is the one and true God who created entire universe.Since he is not bounded in any space-time mechanism but rather a creator by himself therefore is not bounded to any laws of it but rather, a law maker by himself.Since he is ever lasting and the one where the point of existence itself starts, therefore is not in need of children or associates .For him every soul shall return.He fedups not and encompasses any massive to minutest detail of his creation, therefore has send commandments.
Food:
Quran encourages healthy and pure lifestyle and forbids any food that is either injurious to health, makes man mentally unstable or any thing that is dirty or napak.Hence, Quran has strongly forbidden the Alcohol, Pork, blood, scavenger birds, carnivorous animals, flesh of dead animals,animals slaughtered in the name of other than Allah(SWT) etc.
Unless there is scarcity of food and chances are of dying, man is no way on earth allowed to eat flesh of those animals who died.
Animals that are permissible to eat are Goat, Cow, Rabbit, deer etc.Mostly all herbivorous and grain eating birds such as pigeon, dove etc.However, ulemas of Islam have described some limitations regarding some birds and allowed eating certain.You will be finding answers clearly when you will search.
Regards

If I find the verse and quote here than you guys will accept that you don't have the knowledge of Quran?

My friend, post that verse. :)
Regards

All right. I will find and post.

.Muzaffer Hussain, a Padmashri, an eminent Muslim lawyer, and a writer has a chapter entitled ‘the cow & the Koran’ in his latest book ‘Islam and Shakahar’ (vegetarianism). According to Hussain, there is NOT a SINGLE SURAH (chapter) in the HOLY QURAN that allows any killing of cows or bulls.

The famous Iranian Islamic philosopher and scholar Alghazali ( 1058-1111 A.D) who established the Islamic Academy of Baghdad says in his book ‘Ahya ul Deen’( Revival of Religious Science) : “The meat from cows is an illness (marz), its milk is pure (safa) which means good for health and its ghee is a medicine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...-references-of-cow-protection-in-islam/m-lite

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom