PCB Chairman calls Yousuf for England tour

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Updated at: 2300 PST, Friday, July 16, 2010 ShareThis story

LONDON: Following the 13th consecutive defeat of Pakistan from Australia in Test cricket, chairman Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Ijaz Butt has called Mohammad Yousuf for the tour of England.

Sources said that the PCB chairman has asked former captain Yousuf to take back retirement on which the veteran batsman agreed in the interest of the country and the nation.

It may be recalled that Yousuf was banned for an indefinite period after the tour of Australia after which he announced to retire from all forms of cricket.

After the two-Test series against Australia in England, Pakistan cricket team will play a four-Test series against England.

hope to seee him as soon as poosssible he is cool in the eyes when he play cover drive man can't forget his cover drive he should be keep playing test cricket atleast for next 3 years time

Former Pakistan captain Mohammad Yousuf is ready to come out of retirement sooner rather than later, further broadening the possibility of an appearance at some point for Pakistan in the summer.

Yousuf, who announced his sudden retirement after a win-less tour of Australia, had said recently he was targeting the tour of UAE later this year to make a return, but the team's struggles in the first Test against Australia at Lord's may have prompted him to change his mind.

"I am available any time for my national team," Yousuf said in Karachi. "If the team doesn't need me I stand retired. But if I'm needed, I am ready and available to serve my country. If PCB invites me with respect I will definitely go and join the team."

Ijaz Ahmed, Pakistan's assistant coach, hinted at Yousuf's possible return. "He can replace Afridi but the management haven't decided yet who will come. It could come out in a couple of days. Maybe later, somebody will come but not at the moment.

Pakistan made scores of 148 and 289 with only one batsman, Salman Butt, managing to pass fifty. They lost 11 of their wickets to Shane Watson and the part-time spinner Marcus North.

Though their bowlers competed well, the batsmen fell short mainly due to the lack of experience in the middle order, which was missing the pedigree of Yousuf and Younis Khan for differing reasons.

In the immediate aftermath of the Lord's loss speculation centred on the PCB sending out an SOS to Yousuf, but Ijaz Butt denied that was the case. The matter of Yousuf and Younis's return was considered at a meeting the chairman held with team management to appoint a new captain, but was deferred until after the second Test against Australia, officials insisting they were happy with the performances of debutantes Azhar Ali and Umar Amin.

"These are the only two players we are talking about, Younus Khan and Yousuf," Ijaz Ahmed added. "Let's see, it might be decided about Yousuf. Yousuf might be coming here."

Salman, 25, was appointed captain after Shahid Afridi announced another unexpected retirement from Tests. Afridi was named captain for the entire tour of England but quit after the Lord's defeat saying he wasn't enjoying Test cricket after all.

"He was the vice-captain as well. I hope he can manage this," Ijaz Ahmed said of Salman's promotion. "We have done a lot of talking to him and he has played really well and is shaping up well. I think he is getting mature and now he has got the responsibility as well. I think he will come good for that."

Yousuf has had problems in the past with Shoaib Malik when he was captain but said he was willing to play under Salman. "It's a PCB decision (appointing Salman) and everybody should respect it," Yousuf said. "I can play under any captain and have never felt degraded playing under anyone."

Yousuf added that he was in touch with the PCB chairman, who was kept aware of his plans to return.

Yousuf was the captain during Pakistan's shambolic tour of Australia, where the team came under fire for their performances. The PCB responded by penalising seven players it believed were responsible for the defeats, Yousuf among them. He and Younis were banned indefinitely, and as a mark of protest, Yousuf announced he was quitting the game "for now."

He was the only one among the seven punished players not to appeal against the sanctions, despite the PCB leaving the door open for him to return. However, since Yousuf didn't respond to those messages from the board the national selectors could not consider him for the tour of England

INSHAHALALLH he will make hundred in his come back test and make ns of runs to shut the mouth's of people i want to see him scoring 10000 runs for pakistan it is milestone we should be proud of and after him i dont see any batsman from pakistan in test get to that milestone he will for sure going to play against england INSHAHALLAH but if we get younis with him make our batting more powerfull

Guys pakistan despretly need Yousuf, Younis and Asim Kamal, test cricket demands Temprament which pakistan Lacks.

PCB boss Butt denies calling Yousuf to join team in England

London, July 17 (ANI): Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ijaz Butt has rejected media reports regarding him talking to former skipper Mohammed Yousuf to come out of retirement and join the team in England for the second Test match against Australia at Headingly.

“The last time I spoke to Yousuf was when I was in Pakistan, I can categorically state that I have not spoken to Yousuf since I arrived in England,” Pak Passion.net quoted Butt, as saying.

Earlier, media reports claimed that following incumbent captain Shahid Afridi’s abrupt decision to quit Test captaincy, Butt had called Yousuf to join the national team for the second Test match starting July 21 to bolster the inexperienced batting line-up.

Reports also said that Yousuf had agreed to Butt’s request.

Yousuf had retired from international cricket in protest against the indefinite ban and fine imposed by the PCB following the winless tour of Australia in January February this tear(ANI)

how many times pakistani cricketers take retirement and come back for the greater interest of pakistan??? another round of politics waiting in corner. wish u luck

Well, I am now waiting for Javed Miandad to come out all guns blazing by saying he will come back and serve Pakistan cricket. Why are these ambassadors of the country making a fool out of themselves ?

Yousuf is not fit to play Test cricket or any form of cricket at international stage, i do not care how good a drive he plays...he lacks fitness.
He was always a weak link due to poor running and overall hopeless fielding.
With passage of time, this has worsened and cannot improve.
His running is pathetic, his fielding more so...not acceptable.
Even if he scores, he drops too many catches, lets in too many boundaries and causes too many run outs for his own teams to make a net positive impact.

Pakistan should bank on the youngsters, who played well.
Think about how many test matches we have played recently.
Go back in time and really assess what the senior batsmen have been doing against Australia in fourth innings, only then we can be fair to the youngsters.
It is really pathetic to see PCB and media bombard Afridi and company after they scored nearly 300 in the fourth innings.

I would suggest the readers to see how many times we have scored above 300 in a fourth innings against Australia in last decade.
With so called great batsmen like Yousuf and Younis, we have been out for under 200 in many test matches against Australia.
When the media cites this as a reason for Pakistan's shameful defeat...i 100% disagree with it.

The defeat was not shameful and certainly a better fight than most we have seen in fourth innings by Pakistani batsmen.
The youngsters played well against the mentally toughest side in Test cricket.

Just when i thought that Pakistan cricket was finally moving in the right direction, we are now desperate to bring back spent forces who certainly do not have any future.
Even if they score, they usually do not play decisive innings...less so in the fourth innings, even lesser against Australia.

Asim Kamal, Yasser Hameed, Muhammad Waseem, Muhammad Hussain....over the last decade we have wasted a lot of good cricketers because some senior player was in the way, despite having aged and needing replacement.

The only weak link in current Pakistan squad was Mr. Imran Farhat who is the worst Pakistani batsmen i have seen, even Ijaz Ahmed seems like a man with a graceful technique compared to Imran Farhat.

Afridi is a great and aggressive captain, a force which can always be felt in the field.
Give him 10 Test matches and you would have seen the difference, even now one could see the edge this inexperienced Pakistani team had to its game...however many chose not to see the fight which Pakistan put up.
Afridi could have gone a long way to bring back the aggression Pakistan was famous for, too bad PCB and many Pakistanis do not know what is good for them.

Afridi should not have announced retirement after just one Test.
PCB has again shown its typical childish response to a problem which can only be solved with a long term coherent plan...
God knows what happened between Ijaz Butt and Afridi but this should not have happened.

Last edited:
all green im standing infront of you against your comment even fittest player did waht got out on 0 atleast he can make those tons of runs which our team is lacking to make marcus north type of bowler getting wickets of your fittest players we have to be shamed of north type of bowler is get six even he bowls to you friend

all green im standing infront of you against your comment even fittest player did waht got out on 0 atleast he can make those tons of runs which our team is lacking to make marcus north type of bowler getting wickets of your fittest players we have to be shamed of north type of bowler is get six even he bowls to you friend

Hey now, do not stand in front of me...:)

Do not worry, i am sure he will be tried and can still make runs...however he is not going to win us many matches and eventually some bright youngster will sit out while Yousuf entertains us with his drives and not to forget the run outs and dropped catches.

Regarding the tons of runs...how many test matches they have won us against Australia, especially in fourth innings?

How many times Pakistan scored above 300 in the fourth innings against Australia in last decade?
...not a very common sight.

This was no home-ground but the tricky conditions of England and the fact that we scored around 300 in fourth innings in England against Australia is something not lost on me.

I love how Australia does not hang onto the superstars when they are not fit enough...Pakistan needs to take a lesson from them in this regards.

We win the under 19 world cups and yet we hang on to aging cricketers, it is time we take our juniors more seriously or we shall continue to suffer.
It will be painful for a year or two but a dynamic young side will help us regain the dominance we once had.
Match fitness is not something secondary...ignoring it in modern day scenario is not prudent.

no matter what if even youngsters take catches who will make the runs last test matches what ever we have lost because of yousuf not playing in it and other test he was captain and cannot play under pressure he broke the record of viv richards in tests dravid and ponting his equal's still playing test cricket he is not that bad fileder as you mentioned it is just he can't dive but he can take catches easily

no matter what if even youngsters take catches who will make the runs last test matches what ever we have lost because of yousuf not playing in it and other test he was captain and cannot play under pressure he broke the record of viv richards in tests dravid and ponting his equal's still playing test cricket he is not that bad fileder as you mentioned it is just he can't dive but he can take catches easily

We have lost when Yousuf was playing so i do not know why you want to believe he is the recipe for victory.

Ponting and Dravid are razor sharp in the field, one dropped catch costs a match.

So he is not a bad fielder but just cannot dive...:rolleyes:

So he will take catches that are coming to his hands but cannot dive and take the difficult ones...does that not sound like he is a bad fielder and a liability?

Anyways, he was a great player but i cannot agree with you that we cannot let him go because he is the guarantee of victory, that he is not!
Youngsters will work much harder and we have no dearth of talent in our juniors, it is time we give them the confidence of an extended run in the senior side instead of recalling those who are well past their prime, have been a cause of political fragmentation of the team and have limited years to play in the national side.

He is not coming for the England tour.............these are just roumours

He is not coming for the England tour.............these are just roumours

yeah after victory against Australia management decided to play with same squad against England.... they said they want to groom young players...

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom