What's new

PCB Appoints Sarfraz Ahmed as Captain of Pakistan ODI Team

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/1081666.html
Azhar Ali has quit as Pakistan's ODI captain, in the wake of mounting pressure on his leadership following the 4-1 defeat in Australia. Wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed, who is the T20I captain, is expected to take over from Azhar in one-day internationals.

Pakistan's leadership issues in one-day cricket had been discussed in January at a meeting attended by PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan, chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq, and Mushtaq Ahmed, the head coach at the National Cricket Academy, in Lahore. They were thought to be united in their belief that Sarfraz should take over the ODI captaincy but were going to wait until Misbah-ul-Haq retired to name a new Test captain.

More to follow ...

Sarfraz Ahmed replaces Azhar Ali as Pakistan ODI captain
By Sports Desk / Nabil Tahir
Published: February 9, 2017
199SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1321627-sarfrazahmedafp-1486635569-113-640x480.jpg

Sarfraz will take over with immediate effect. PHOTO: AFP

Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman Sarfraz Ahmed has been named as ODI captain after Azhar Ali decided to step down from the role on Thursday.

Sarfraz, who has impressed while leading Pakistan Super League (PSL) side Quetta Gladiators as well as the Pakistan T20I team, will take over with immediate effect; meaning that he will be captaining the side in Pakistan’s next assignment to the West Indies.

That series may well decide which of the two sides will directly qualify for the next World Cup in England.

Hafeez dismisses speculation he is after permanent captaincy; backs Azhar Ali

“Azhar Ali decided to step down from ODI captaincy and Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) management has decided to make Sarfraz Ahmed as the next ODI captain,” a Pakistan Cricket Board official told The Express Tribune.

“The PCB management including Chairman and Executive committee member are present in Dubai for opening of PSL where they have decided to give ODI captaincy to Sarfraz who have been a successful captain in T20 format,” he added.

Moin blasts Azhar, says he doesn’t deserve to be captain

There had been calls from several quarters to sack Azhar, who replaced Misbahul Haq as the ODI captain, after an underwhelming stint that saw him win just five of his matches as captain against the top eight sides — all coming against Sri Lanka.

I think a rash decision , Azhar Ali , generally showed great leadership by trying to always bat top order and face the tough situation head on.

100% Rash decision

Considering how well Umar Akmal played yesterday , I was starting to feel perhaps he should replace Sarfaraz , not make him captain of National team as he has generally not performed with bat (Sarfaraz consistently vs good teams)

Considering that he recently gained experience to play in England /Austraila the board should have shown trust in him to figure out the type of players best suited to correct his team's shortfalls

I do agree that last year Sarfraz emerged as a great T20 Captain for Baluchistan team

It is not fair to announce such decision , before the T20 league start
such decision should have been made after reviewing performances in the Season 2 of T20 Laegue

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom