What's new

Pashto words in Urdu

You are just clutching at straws. Its like saying Pashtuns settled in Karachi have nothing to do with their native villages in KP and Baluchistan

Yes, eventually they will if they integrate into the local society just like those pathans integrated into the ashrafi society of medieval India, their claim to heritage of their ancestors if they happen to do something great in Karachi will belong to them not to tribals who they sent money to. Your sense of history is screwed and based on false pride. Descendants of lodhis and Sher shah suri don't have to associate themselves with you to claim their heritage

Since you are so fond of quoting passages out of context. here is one for you from the same book whith it's context

When Shádí came to Sher Khán, and delivered at full length Muhammad Khán's message, Sher Khán replied:—“Do you, Shádí Khán, tell the Khán from me, that this is not the Roh country that I should share equally with my brothers. The country of India is completely at the disposal of the king, nor has any one else any share in it, nor is there any regard to elder or younger, or to kindred. Sikandar Lodí thus decided: ‘If any noble dies, whatever money or other effects he may leave should be divided among his heirs according to the laws of inheritance; but his office and his jágírs and his military retinue let him confer on whichever of the sons he thinks most able; and in these no one else has a right to share, nor is any remedy open to them.’ Whatever goods and money my father left, Sulaimán with my brothers appropriated before he sought refuge with you. Hitherto, out of regard for my relationship to you, I have said nothing; but whenever he may quit you, I shall reclaim my share of my patrimonial inheritance from him. The jágír and office were conferred on me by Sultán Ibráhím; in them no one has any share. But I said to my brothers, ‘The jágírs which you enjoyed in my father's lifetime I will continue, nay increase to you; but no one can participate in my office.’ It does not become you to say, ‘Give up Tánda and Malhú to Sulaimán.’ I will not willingly yield them. If you take them by force, and give them to him, it is in your power to do so. I have not another word to say.”

They were already looking down on you lot and having an independent identity attached to the land they lived on and their societies operated differently than yours. They did not live in a world dictated by tribes but by rulers and lands they owned. I will dismantel the quotes you posted when i get the time

Lodhis were great empire builders all 2 out of 3 muslim brahmin communities converted to Islam under their rule.

Where were the Lodis from originally? Kandahar? @Mian Babban
Afsana-i-Shahan, an Afghan source written during Akbar's reign , says that Bait Baba (progenitor of Baitani tribes including Lodis) lived along the banks of Gomal river which flows through Paktiya, Waziristan, Dera Ismail Khan, Sherani and Zhob. The Lodi clan, which produced the kings, was settled in the Daman area (present-day Tank and western Dera Ismail Khan) and Paniala. Niazi clan of Lodis was settled in Shalghar area of Ghazni. Lohani clan of Lodis was settled in Paktiya and Waziristan, and Sur clan was settled in Kulachi area of Dera Ismail Khan while Bhittanis were once settled in Paktiya. So their original abode is some where in this region (Loya Paktiya of Afghanistan and Daman region of KP).

Yes, eventually they will if they integrate into the local society just like those pathans integrated into the ashrafi society of medieval India, their claim to heritage of their ancestors if they happen to do something great in Karachi will belong to them not to tribals who they sent money to. Your sense of history is screwed and based on false pride. Descendants of lodhis and Sher shah suri don't have to associate themselves with you to claim their heritage

Since you are so fond of quoting passages out of context. here is one for you from the same book whith it's context

When Shádí came to Sher Khán, and delivered at full length Muhammad Khán's message, Sher Khán replied:—“Do you, Shádí Khán, tell the Khán from me, that this is not the Roh country that I should share equally with my brothers. The country of India is completely at the disposal of the king, nor has any one else any share in it, nor is there any regard to elder or younger, or to kindred. Sikandar Lodí thus decided: ‘If any noble dies, whatever money or other effects he may leave should be divided among his heirs according to the laws of inheritance; but his office and his jágírs and his military retinue let him confer on whichever of the sons he thinks most able; and in these no one else has a right to share, nor is any remedy open to them.’ Whatever goods and money my father left, Sulaimán with my brothers appropriated before he sought refuge with you. Hitherto, out of regard for my relationship to you, I have said nothing; but whenever he may quit you, I shall reclaim my share of my patrimonial inheritance from him. The jágír and office were conferred on me by Sultán Ibráhím; in them no one has any share. But I said to my brothers, ‘The jágírs which you enjoyed in my father's lifetime I will continue, nay increase to you; but no one can participate in my office.’ It does not become you to say, ‘Give up Tánda and Malhú to Sulaimán.’ I will not willingly yield them. If you take them by force, and give them to him, it is in your power to do so. I have not another word to say.”

They were already looking down on you lot and having an independent identity attached to the land they lived on and their societies operated differently than yours. They did not live in a world dictated by tribes but by rulers and lands they owned. I will dismantel the quotes you posted when i get the time
Marra why Sher Shah would look down upon his own people? his entire force was Pashtun and rallying point for that was Pashtun-hood to get rid of Mughals. Sher Shah was spot on, India was not Roh and ground realities were different. Your arguments are that Sher Shah and other India's Afghans did not consider themselves Afghans and looked down upon on those of Roh, refused to sit with them or associate with them (that they were like Sahir Lodhi). That i have already debunked and will debunk more. Here is another passage from Tarikh-i-SherShahi ;

After the Namáz-i ishrák, he went through various business: he paid each man separately, mustered his old troops, and spoke to the newly-enlisted men himself, and questioned the Afgháns in their native tongue. If any one answered him accurately in the Afghán tongue, he said to him, “Draw a bow,” and if he drew it well, he would give him a salary higher than the rest, and said, “I reckon the Afghán tongue as a friend.”

@icebreaker2 hey how do you claim to be decendants of those conquerors when you can't even properly pronounce their names and the tribes they belong to. There's no such thing as turik u dimwitt. It's turkic in english n turkçe in turkish. Mirza ghalib n sir syed ahmed weren't turk mongols (the actual word is tatari or tartar for such thing). Have you ever seen turkmongols? They are like turkmen and uzbek. Neither Sir syed nor mirza ghalib had a single one of those tartar features. Everyone knows that every person with the surname of 'khan' isn't actually khan. They don't even know the meaning n the history behind the title. You know you are just a troll, bragging out the history that's found only on 'lackwittypedia' or books written by the angrez sarkar. And pashtuns would be fools to believe the lowlife actors n actresses of showbiz. Their entire life is based on lies and illusions. They'd do anything to deceive people into believing that they hail from a respected family and have decent background. AND AGAIN they don't have any GENETICAL proof to backup their claim. The pashtuns of pashtun diaspora have the genes and 'pashto' (pashto doesn't mean language or ethinicity only) to prove it. What do you have? Empty claims and pathetic indian n iranian (mughlian) written history? I'm damn sure if tests were run all of you posers would lack even the very basic n common scythio-pahlavi gene thats found amongst all the Pashtuns.
Pashtuns did not abandon their beautiful mountains for your so called 'fertile' lands. Why would any Pashtun leave the land of apples,peaches, cherries, grapes pomegranates and dry fruits for daal n chaawal. Why would they convert from 'Afghans' to slaves of Mughal n Angrez mahraaj. They just wanted to conquer n rule n that's it. The people of your region used to ride on donkeys we had horses n you ppl used buy horses from us. Why do you think greeks were adamant to conquer the entire afghan land when they had already brought the persian to their heels? Because they were moved by the beauty of afghans their culture language and lands. (Do study the greek version of history as well)
You don't hate Pakistanis. Yeah u don't particularly. But your statements here has a strong stench of hatred towards pashtuns. And that immense hatred has blinded you to see the truth. Hatred does prompt a person to say stupid things likevfirst saying that their ancestors were afghan and then say they were persians (who happened to have pashto tribal names with pashto meaning) and then they hated the tribes they belonged to. Guess what we don't care what you say or do against us. To the world you are like megalomanian beggars who can't be satisfied with what they have and then start stealing from others to satisfy their cravings.
The different ethinics of the entire world has tribes and tribal system n pride. The persians, the mongols the turks the arabs and even the europeans the nordic ppl the gaels n slavic etc have. Not all of the ppl relied on the caste system made by pathetic humans.
Hey i belong to Syed tribe of pashtuns. We haven't lost arabic. We are always told we are not Pashtuns. Even the pashtun ppl make fun of us n say we are not one of them. My father once met a Tunisian guy during Hajj who (surprisingly) knew about us and even our subtribes amongst pashtuns. He took him to his place and for dinner said to every one 'no ones going to sart eating before this Sheikh (my father) does" . My father n his friends were queit moved by his generosity. And we haven't lost our "Arabness". Most of our ppl do learn arabic and can communicate with arabs pretty well. In my family my father n one of my sisters know Arabic. My sis actually knows more arabic than my father. The Qureshis Hashmis n Syeds you are talking about must be some wannabees and posers like the so called khans n 'lodHis'. I know my ancestors. I didn't read stupid books to know them. Our ancestors passed that knowlege unto us. So you see you don't prove anything by books or media. You have tovreally talk to those ppl observe them their physical and psychological traits and really study them and then form unbiased opinions on them.
Lastly i say again, Bring us the Genetics of the Afghan ancestors and show the World that you truly are what you claim to be then n only then would the world believe you otherwise whatever history you are soooo insisting on would be just some fabricated stories and a world delusions for ppl like you.

Last edited:
Coming back to Rohillas, the entire nation/group in 18th century calling themselves Rohillas, were Pashto speakers , adherents of Pashto culture, and in fact great contributors to Pashto literature. The celebrated Najib-ud-Daula was a Pashto poet and wrote a Pashto diwan. Hafiz Rahmat Khan wrote "Khulasat-ul-Ansab" which is genealogy of Pashtun tribes and their histories in native lands. He also arranged the writing of abridged version of 16th century Pashto book on history of Yousafzais (Tarikh-i-Afaghana) which was named "Tarikh-i-Hafiz-Rahmat Khani". His grandson Mahabat Khan wrote a first Pashto grammar book and a Pashto dictionary in 1810. He also wrote a book on history of Pashtuns named "Riazatul-Mahabat". Illahyar Khan Rohilla compiled a Pashto-Persian-Hindustani dictionary called "Ajaib-ul-lughat". Qasim Ali Afridi was a famous Pashto poet of Rohillas in 18th century. Qasim Khan Khattak ,the great grandson of Khushal Khan, was also a Pashto poet and was settled in Rampur. Other renowned Pashto poet of Rohillas in 18th century were Mehbob Ali Khan Rampuri, Kazim Ali Khan Shaida, Abdul Kasim Yousafzai and Afzal Khan.

The Rohilla identity remained strong as long as they stuck to Pashto, it evaporated when they became Indianized.

And @icebreaker2 Good thing you are not living in Pakistan. Cuz Pakistan doesn't need bigot racists whose hatred towards some pakistanis is bordefline mania. I even believe you would do anything against those tribal ppl like bomb them n say 'taliban ny zimadari qabool karli'. It's highly possible considering u being an mqm supporter n trying to prove yourself more loyal to pakistan, while living in a foreign country, than the ppl living here n all that. Are you sure u don't work for some such corrupt organization?
N why would u bother what the xenophobic tribes of pashtuns say n do? Atleast they are not stealing anybody's identity. N if you ask me being a person proud of his/her heritage is waaay better than being a dumb racist bigot.
And if you are going to say more hateful things against the tribes of pashtun and are not going to saying anything sensible plz don't reply.
This thread here was for pashto language and......wait if it's about pashto, why are you here? Seeing you hate pashto n all that. Would it be very rude to ask you to get the hell out of here? If you are so proud of your so called afghan ancestory go write your own book. Like 'Afghan ancestory from 'afghan' (the word afghan actually means pashtun) tribes being persian to altaf bhai being the actual decendant of Suris'. Or "the 'real' lodHis who hated their tribe to the 'real' khans in todays showbiz".

Last edited:
Afsana-i-Shahan, an Afghan source written during Akbar's reign , says that Bait Baba (progenitor of Baitani tribes including Lodis) lived along the banks of Gomal river which flows through Paktiya, Waziristan, Dera Ismail Khan, Sherani and Zhob. The Lodi clan, which produced the kings, was settled in the Daman area (present-day Tank and western Dera Ismail Khan) and Paniala. Niazi clan of Lodis was settled in Shalghar area of Ghazni. Lohani clan of Lodis was settled in Paktiya and Waziristan, and Sur clan was settled in Kulachi area of Dera Ismail Khan while Bhittanis were once settled in Paktiya. So their original abode is some where in this region (Loya Paktiya of Afghanistan and Daman region of KP).

Marra why Sher Shah would look down upon his own people? his entire force was Pashtun and rallying point for that was Pashtun-hood to get rid of Mughals. Sher Shah was spot on, India was not Roh and ground realities were different. Your arguments are that Sher Shah and other India's Afghans did not consider themselves Afghans and looked down upon on those of Roh, refused to sit with them or associate with them (that they were like Sahir Lodhi). That i have already debunked and will debunk more. Here is another passage from Tarikh-i-SherShahi ;

After the Namáz-i ishrák, he went through various business: he paid each man separately, mustered his old troops, and spoke to the newly-enlisted men himself, and questioned the Afgháns in their native tongue. If any one answered him accurately in the Afghán tongue, he said to him, “Draw a bow,” and if he drew it well, he would give him a salary higher than the rest, and said, “I reckon the Afghán tongue as a friend.”

Did the Lodis and Suris speak the Sha dialect or the Kha?

Sheen dialect i suppose. Almost all the remnants of Lodi tribes in Pakhtunkhwa speak Sheen dialect of Pashto.
I think it's rather interesting that all the major Pashtun dynasties were sheen/southern ones including the Durranis and Hotak.

I think it's rather interesting that all the major Pashtun dynasties were sheen/southern ones including the Durranis and Hotak.
In my knowledge the only native Pakhtun from hard dialect belt who declared himself a king and struck coins in his name , was Aimal Khan Mohmand who led the Pashtun uprising of 1672-1677. According to Tarikh-i-Murassa he even sent letters to chiefs of Kanadahar , asking them to rally around him and assist him. Mughals were too powerful for him but if he had succeeded, it would have been first Pashtun dynasty in Pashtun homeland. The concept of kingship was alien to Pashtun tribes in their homeland , and i think Aimal Khan was the first man who seeded the idea, and it seems to have inspired Hotaks and Durranis two decades after him, to struggle for creattion a Pashtun kingdom or emirate for themselves.

In my knowledge the only native Pakhtun from hard dialect belt who declared himself a king and struck coins in his name , was Aimal Khan Mohmand who led the Pashtun uprising of 1672-1677. According to Tarikh-i-Murassa he even sent letters to chiefs of Kanadahar , asking them to rally around him and assist him. Mughals were too powerful for him but if he had succeeded, it would have been first Pashtun dynasty in Pashtun homeland. The concept of kingship was alien to Pashtun tribes in their homeland , and i think Aimal Khan was the first man who seeded the idea, and it seems to have inspired Hotaks and Durranis two decades after him, to struggle for creattion a Pashtun kingdom or emirate for themselves.
Why do you think it was exclusively the southern Kandahari type Pashtuns that were more united and had an incentive to form a dynasty compared to the northern ones?

Why do you think it was exclusively the southern Kandahari type Pashtuns that were more united and had an incentive to form a dynasty compared to the northern ones?
They had no inter-tribal unity, Abdalis and Ghilzais were killing each other even when they were invaded by foreigners, but there was great degree of intra-tribal cohesiveness in them. Each tribe could mobilize a large army, up to 15 thousands fighting men or more. No other Pashtun tribe had such fighting strength. Yousafzais were perhaps as numerous as Abdalis and Ghilzais but they did not have supreme chieftain like the two who could gather them for a great cause. As i have already mentioned, the movement of Aimal Khan and Khushal Khattak must have seeded the idea of sovereignty in the mind of Mirwais Hotak who was their contemporary. Secondly decline of Safavid empire provided them the chance. After defeating first Safavid army, Hotaks grew bold and ambitious. When they captured Isfahan, it also inspired their rivals the Abdalis (centered in Herat) and they conquered entire Khurasan (including Nishapur and Mashad cities) and were trying to achieve the same status as rival Hotaks. Dreams of both were ruined by Nadir Shah Afshar.

You have done a great disservice by selectively quoting Tarikh-i-SherShahi (and have a s**t translation) written by Abbas Khan Sarwani (pathan) who was a a waqia-navis under Mughal emperor Akbar, detailing the rule of Sher Shah Suri. The book does not mention any of the tribe leaders of roh or their tribes but refers to them as a single entity because they were insignificant and not given much importance. They have rarely figured in the book. Pathans came to now UP and Punjab in large numbers with a huge chunk of their tribes and these were the people who played significant role in politics of medieval India. They were proud that they were pathan just as their descendants are now and your (residents of Roh) role in their history is close to non-exsistent. Most of the time when the word Afghan is used it is used in the context of afghans living in hind and bordering regions of sir-hind and whenever afghans from roh are mentioned they specifically say so. Though their names are not mentioned.

They dissociated themselves from that land and lived in Hind, Bengal and Sirhind and became natives of that land. You people of roh are only distantly connected to their history and then you claim that their descendants have to get your certificate to claim their glorious past and to claim the lineage of their ancestors. Funny how racist small minded bigots like you work.

I never said he looked down on pathans don't put words in my mouth. Patahns of Hind are proud today as they were back then. When babur came to India loose fractious confederations were formed by Pathans and Rajputs of hind based on their commonalities to gain power. Pathans of roh don't figure much in his history or the history of medieval India. His military generals and fighting armies were mostly composed of Pathans of hind, not of roh who were treated more like hired mercenaries in wars in sind and sirhind and that is how he looked down upon them.

On the nature of these confederations which you call pushton-hood was not really as you describe it. It was a combination of politics and shared identity as pathans (mostly pathans of hind). The pathans only rallied under Sher shah suri once he was powerful enough not before that. You should stop misrepresenting medieval Indian politics.

When Sher Khán heard this intelligence, he entirely gave up all trust in the promises and faith of Humáyún, and said to the envoy: “I have observed all loyalty to the Emperor, and have committed no offence against him, and have not encroached upon his boundaries. When I got Bihár from the Lohánís, and the King of Bengal formed a design to seize that country, I besought him most submissively to leave me as I was, and not to attempt to deprive me of Bihár. By reason of his large army and forces he would not attend to me, and since he thus oppressed me, the Almighty gave me the victory; and as he coveted the kingdom of Bihár, God wrested away from him also the kingdom of Bengal. The Emperor has only considered the word of the ruler of Bengal, and has overlooked the service I have rendered, and all the force of Afgháns which I have assembled for his service, and has marched against Bengal. When the Emperor besieged Chunár, the Afgháns urged me to oppose him, but I restrained them from declaring war, and said, ‘The Emperor is powerful; you should not fight with him for the sake of a fort, for he is my lord and patron, and when he perceives that, in spite of my powerful forces, I pay respect to him, he will understand that I am his loyal servant, and will give me a kingdom to maintain this large army. The Emperor desired the kingdom of Bihár, and I was willing to surrender it. But it is not the right way to govern a kingdom to separate so large a force from his service, and in order to please their enemies, to ruin and slay the Afgháns.’ But since the Emperor takes no heed of all this good service, and has violated his promise, I have now no hope or means of restraining the Afgháns from opposing him. You will hear what deeds the Afgháns will do, and the march to Bengal will end in repentance and regret, for now the Afgháns are united, and have laid aside their mutual quarrels and envyings. The country which the Mughals have taken from the Afgháns, they got through the internal dissensions among the latter.

All mentions of Afghans here refer to pathans of hind. Residents of Roh had no part to play in it and neither they were mentioned. This was a political alliance between the pathans of hind not roh. There was not one pathan of roh of any significance. The 'country' mentioned above refers to lands in Hind not roh. That is what he was fighting for along with other patahans of hind

The Hindus of Hind had a greater role in the pathan confederation than any pathan from roh.

Sher Khán left Ghází Súr and Buláki,* who was the commandant of Chunár, in that fortress, and removed his family and those of his Afghán followers to the fortress of Bahrkunda; but as he had many families with him, that fort could not hold them all. There existed a friendly connexion between Sher Khán and the Rájá of the fort of Rohtás, and Chúráman, the Rájá's náíb, was on particular terms of intimate friendship and alliance with Sher Khán. This Chúráman was a Bráhman, and was a person of the highest rank, and had formerly shown kindness to the family of Míán Nizám, own brother to Sher Khán, and procured them shelter in the fort of Rohtás; and when all danger had gone by, the family again quitted the fort, and made it over to the Rájá. On the present occasion, Sher Khán wrote that he was in great straits, and that if the Rájá would give him the loan of the fort for a short time, he would be obliged to him all his days, and that when all danger was past, he would again restore the fort. Chúráman replied, “Be of good cheer, I will manage it, so that the Rájá shall lend you the fort.” When Chúráman went to the Rájá, he said, “Sher Khán has asked for the loan of Rohtás for his family. He is your neighbour. This is my advice, it is an opportunity to show kindness; you should admit his family.” The Rájá agreed.

The alliance was very fractious and only consolidated after sher shah was powerful enough but never fully and they were as quick to switch allegiance to new power center. The afghan confederation was to maintain their jagirs and not based on anything like modern day pashtun nationalism.

The enmity between Sher Khán and the Lohánís increased daily, until the latter at last plotted to kill Sher Khán, and they thus took counsel among themselves, saying, “Sher Khán waits every day upon Jalál Khán with a very small retinue; let us pretend that Jalál Khán is ill. Sher Khán will go inside the palace to inquire after him. When he is returning, and has passed through one gate, and before he reaches the other, let us kill him, while thus inclosed between the two gates of Jalál Khán's palace.”

After the Namáz-i ishrák, he went through various business: he paid each man separately, mustered his old troops, and spoke to the newly-enlisted men himself, and questioned the Afgháns in their native tongue. If any one answered him accurately in the Afghán tongue, he said to him, “Draw a bow,” and if he drew it well, he would give him a salary higher than the rest, and said, “I reckon the Afghán tongue as a friend.” And in the same place he inspected the treasure which arrived from all parts of the kingdom, and gave audience to his nobles or their vakíls, or to zamíndárs, or to the envoys of the kings of other countries, who came to his victorious camp; or he heard the reports which came from the nobles who were his 'ámils, and gave answers to them according to his own judgment, and the munshís wrote them. When two hours and a half of the day were over, he rose up and eat his breakfast with his 'ulama and holy men, and after breakfast he returned and was engaged as before described till mid-day. At mid-day he performed the kailúla (which is a supererogatory act of devotion), and took a short repose. After his rest he performed the afternoon devotions in company with a large assembly of men, and afterwards employed himself in reading the Holy Word. After that he spent his time in the business described above; and whether at home or abroad, there was no violation of these rules.

The rules for the collection of revenue from the people, and for the prosperity of the kingdom, were after this wise: There was appointed in every pargana,* one amír, one God-fearing shikkdár, one treasurer, one kárkun to write Hindí, and one to write Persian; and he ordered his governors to measure the land every harvest, to collect the revenue according to the measurement, and in proportion to the produce, giving one share to the cultivator, and half a share to the mukaddam;

Where do you think these Afghanis dropped from. They were mostly from hind. Off course he had affinity to pathans as he was a pathan himself but not from roh but from hind. He did not say my first language is Afghan tongue but reckoned it as a friend. His language of use was persian. Another sign of differentiation between the two which only increased over time.

Over time the pathans of hind were totally disassociated from the tribals of Roh and were part of the Ashrafi culture of hind. Even Rohillas who cam in the 18th century very quickly became a part of it. You have no claim over the histories of these people. Claim your own history of tribal warfare and poverty.

Nawab Muhammad Yusef Ali Khan Bahadur
, KSI, (5 March 1816 – 21 April 1865) was a Nawab of the princely state of Rampur from 1855 to 1865. During the First War of Independence, he rendered many useful services to the Government of India by keeping the British supply and communication lines to Naini Tal open, rescuing fugitives and securing the town of Moradabad. For his service, he was granted extensive lands in Bareilly by the Viceroy of India, Lord Canning, was knighted in 1861 and given a 13-gun salute along with the style of His Highness. Finally, he was made a member of the Viceroy's Council. Despite this multitude of honours, Sir Yusef continued to preserve the Mughal artistic tradition by inviting musicians, scholars and artists of Bahadur Shah Zafar II's court to resettle at Rampur, including the great poet Ghalib. Dying at 49 in 1865, he was succeeded by his son, Sir Kalb Ali Khan Bahadur.[1]

And here are their present day descendents

You have done a great disservice by selectively quoting Tarikh-i-SherShahi (and have a s**t translation) written by Abbas Khan Sarwani (pathan) who was a a waqia-navis under Mughal emperor Akbar, detailing the rule of Sher Shah Suri. The book does not mention any of the tribe leaders of roh or their tribes but refers to them as a single entity because they were insignificant and not given much importance. They have rarely figured in the book. Pathans came to now UP and Punjab in large numbers with a huge chunk of their tribes and these were the people who played significant role in politics of medieval India. They were proud that they were pathan just as their descendants are now and your (residents of Roh) role in their history is close to non-exsistent. Most of the time when the word Afghan is used it is used in the context of afghans living in hind and bordering regions of sir-hind and whenever afghans from roh are mentioned they specifically say so. Though their names are not mentioned.

They dissociated themselves from that land and lived in Hind, Bengal and Sirhind and became natives of that land. You people of roh are only distantly connected to their history and then you claim that their descendants have to get your certificate to claim their glorious past and to claim the lineage of their ancestors. Funny how racist small minded bigots like you work.

I never said he looked down on pathans don't put words in my mouth. Patahns of Hind are proud today as they were back then. When babur came to India loose fractious confederations were formed by Pathans and Rajputs of hind based on their commonalities to gain power. Pathans of roh don't figure much in his history or the history of medieval India. His military generals and fighting armies were mostly composed of Pathans of hind, not of roh who were treated more like hired mercenaries in wars in sind and sirhind and that is how he looked down upon them.

On the nature of these confederations which you call pushton-hood was not really as you describe it. It was a combination of politics and shared identity as pathans (mostly pathans of hind). The pathans only rallied under Sher shah suri once he was powerful enough not before that. You should stop misrepresenting medieval Indian politics.

When Sher Khán heard this intelligence, he entirely gave up all trust in the promises and faith of Humáyún, and said to the envoy: “I have observed all loyalty to the Emperor, and have committed no offence against him, and have not encroached upon his boundaries. When I got Bihár from the Lohánís, and the King of Bengal formed a design to seize that country, I besought him most submissively to leave me as I was, and not to attempt to deprive me of Bihár. By reason of his large army and forces he would not attend to me, and since he thus oppressed me, the Almighty gave me the victory; and as he coveted the kingdom of Bihár, God wrested away from him also the kingdom of Bengal. The Emperor has only considered the word of the ruler of Bengal, and has overlooked the service I have rendered, and all the force of Afgháns which I have assembled for his service, and has marched against Bengal. When the Emperor besieged Chunár, the Afgháns urged me to oppose him, but I restrained them from declaring war, and said, ‘The Emperor is powerful; you should not fight with him for the sake of a fort, for he is my lord and patron, and when he perceives that, in spite of my powerful forces, I pay respect to him, he will understand that I am his loyal servant, and will give me a kingdom to maintain this large army. The Emperor desired the kingdom of Bihár, and I was willing to surrender it. But it is not the right way to govern a kingdom to separate so large a force from his service, and in order to please their enemies, to ruin and slay the Afgháns.’ But since the Emperor takes no heed of all this good service, and has violated his promise, I have now no hope or means of restraining the Afgháns from opposing him. You will hear what deeds the Afgháns will do, and the march to Bengal will end in repentance and regret, for now the Afgháns are united, and have laid aside their mutual quarrels and envyings. The country which the Mughals have taken from the Afgháns, they got through the internal dissensions among the latter.

All mentions of Afghans here refer to pathans of hind. Residents of Roh had no part to play in it and neither they were mentioned. This was a political alliance between the pathans of hind not roh. There was not one pathan of roh of any significance. The 'country' mentioned above refers to lands in Hind not roh. That is what he was fighting for along with other patahans of hind

The Hindus of Hind had a greater role in the pathan confederation than any pathan from roh.

Sher Khán left Ghází Súr and Buláki,* who was the commandant of Chunár, in that fortress, and removed his family and those of his Afghán followers to the fortress of Bahrkunda; but as he had many families with him, that fort could not hold them all. There existed a friendly connexion between Sher Khán and the Rájá of the fort of Rohtás, and Chúráman, the Rájá's náíb, was on particular terms of intimate friendship and alliance with Sher Khán. This Chúráman was a Bráhman, and was a person of the highest rank, and had formerly shown kindness to the family of Míán Nizám, own brother to Sher Khán, and procured them shelter in the fort of Rohtás; and when all danger had gone by, the family again quitted the fort, and made it over to the Rájá. On the present occasion, Sher Khán wrote that he was in great straits, and that if the Rájá would give him the loan of the fort for a short time, he would be obliged to him all his days, and that when all danger was past, he would again restore the fort. Chúráman replied, “Be of good cheer, I will manage it, so that the Rájá shall lend you the fort.” When Chúráman went to the Rájá, he said, “Sher Khán has asked for the loan of Rohtás for his family. He is your neighbour. This is my advice, it is an opportunity to show kindness; you should admit his family.” The Rájá agreed.

The alliance was very fractious and only consolidated after sher shah was powerful enough but never fully and they were as quick to switch allegiance to new power center. The afghan confederation was to maintain their jagirs and not based on anything like modern day pashtun nationalism.

The enmity between Sher Khán and the Lohánís increased daily, until the latter at last plotted to kill Sher Khán, and they thus took counsel among themselves, saying, “Sher Khán waits every day upon Jalál Khán with a very small retinue; let us pretend that Jalál Khán is ill. Sher Khán will go inside the palace to inquire after him. When he is returning, and has passed through one gate, and before he reaches the other, let us kill him, while thus inclosed between the two gates of Jalál Khán's palace.”

After the Namáz-i ishrák, he went through various business: he paid each man separately, mustered his old troops, and spoke to the newly-enlisted men himself, and questioned the Afgháns in their native tongue. If any one answered him accurately in the Afghán tongue, he said to him, “Draw a bow,” and if he drew it well, he would give him a salary higher than the rest, and said, “I reckon the Afghán tongue as a friend.” And in the same place he inspected the treasure which arrived from all parts of the kingdom, and gave audience to his nobles or their vakíls, or to zamíndárs, or to the envoys of the kings of other countries, who came to his victorious camp; or he heard the reports which came from the nobles who were his 'ámils, and gave answers to them according to his own judgment, and the munshís wrote them. When two hours and a half of the day were over, he rose up and eat his breakfast with his 'ulama and holy men, and after breakfast he returned and was engaged as before described till mid-day. At mid-day he performed the kailúla (which is a supererogatory act of devotion), and took a short repose. After his rest he performed the afternoon devotions in company with a large assembly of men, and afterwards employed himself in reading the Holy Word. After that he spent his time in the business described above; and whether at home or abroad, there was no violation of these rules.

The rules for the collection of revenue from the people, and for the prosperity of the kingdom, were after this wise: There was appointed in every pargana,* one amír, one God-fearing shikkdár, one treasurer, one kárkun to write Hindí, and one to write Persian; and he ordered his governors to measure the land every harvest, to collect the revenue according to the measurement, and in proportion to the produce, giving one share to the cultivator, and half a share to the mukaddam;

Where do you think these Afghanis dropped from. They were mostly from hind. Off course he had affinity to pathans as he was a pathan himself but not from roh but from hind. He did not say my first language is Afghan tongue but reckoned it as a friend. His language of use was persian. Another sign of differentiation between the two which only increased over time.

Over time the pathans of hind were totally disassociated from the tribals of Roh and were part of the Ashrafi culture of hind. Even Rohillas who cam in the 18th century very quickly became a part of it. You have no claim over the histories of these people. Claim your own history of tribal warfare and poverty.

Nawab Muhammad Yusef Ali Khan Bahadur
, KSI, (5 March 1816 – 21 April 1865) was a Nawab of the princely state of Rampur from 1855 to 1865. During the First War of Independence, he rendered many useful services to the Government of India by keeping the British supply and communication lines to Naini Tal open, rescuing fugitives and securing the town of Moradabad. For his service, he was granted extensive lands in Bareilly by the Viceroy of India, Lord Canning, was knighted in 1861 and given a 13-gun salute along with the style of His Highness. Finally, he was made a member of the Viceroy's Council. Despite this multitude of honours, Sir Yusef continued to preserve the Mughal artistic tradition by inviting musicians, scholars and artists of Bahadur Shah Zafar II's court to resettle at Rampur, including the great poet Ghalib. Dying at 49 in 1865, he was succeeded by his son, Sir Kalb Ali Khan Bahadur.[1]

And here are their present day descendents

You little tribals don't have a copyright on being pathan or any tribe. So get it out of you pathetic heads that you an tell people who is a pathan and who isn't. Not all Pathans are backward tribal people like you and they speak different languages (Urdu, Punjabi, Sindhi) and have a far greater history and culture than yours

Back
Top Bottom