What's new

Partition was a mistake

Are you offended if Indians say "Partition was a mistake"?

• I feel offended

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • Do not care

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Agree

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
Do name the the other 997 or so..If it's too much just name another 10 such examples. That would be enough..You can do that, can't you? :)

I'm not sure about the well thing. I'm pretty sure it still goes on.

"Dalits are not allowed to drink from the same wells, attend the same temples, wear shoes in the presence of an upper caste, or drink from the same cups in tea stalls," said Smita Narula, a senior researcher with Human Rights Watch, and author of Broken People: Caste Violence Against India's "Untouchables." Human Rights Watch is a worldwide activist organization based in New York.
India's "Untouchables" Face Violence, Discrimination

That from 2003. The Dalits are retaliating, but the law does nothing for them. The law like most of the shining examples of Dalits you quote is just a symbol.

I must agree with RR,

India is still a long way from removing the myth of untouchability from its country however the good thing is they are well on the oneway road of achieving that goal.

Regards

I think partition was good for both Pakistan as well as India and now Bangladesh. It has allowed creation of a muslim state where majority of the muslims want to follow Islamic values and also a secular state which as days go by with a good media and well educated middle class will intergrate into a harmonious society.

What needs however to be seen that after 60 years of independence what has India and Pakistan achieved for their respective populations.

Regards

It’s unfair to say that that Islamic society of Pakistan is not harmonious we may call that political violence is there (which is in India as well) but here we cannot report a single major Muslim-non Muslim violence or demolishing of sacred places for other religions than Islam in Pakistan.

It’s unfair to say that that Islamic society of Pakistan is not harmonious we may call that political violence is there (which is in India as well) but here we cannot report a single major Muslim-non Muslim violence or demolishing of sacred places for other religions than Islam in Pakistan.

Where did I say Pakistan is not a harmonious society ? Also having one religion makes it easier to co-exist.

Regards

what about the Buddha statues in FATA.

Regards

Where did I say Pakistan is not a harmonious society ? Also having one religion makes it easier to co-exist.

Regards

'I think partition was good for both Pakistan as well as India and now Bangladesh. It has allowed creation of a muslim state (pakistan) where majority of the muslims want to follow Islamic values and also a secular state (india) which as days go by with a good media and well educated middle class will intergrate into a harmonious society'.

You mentioned only India while the middle class and education is also growing in Pakistan.

I think the incidence of Buddha statues took place in Bamian (Afghanistan).

Dear SN,

You are quite wrong. Please see link below.

Regards

Seventh century Buddha statue destroyed by militants in Swat | Top News

Seventh century Buddha statue destroyed by militants in Swat

Peshawar, Nov 6 : The historic statue of Buddha in the Jihan Abad area of Swat district in Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province (NWFP) has been blown up by unidentified militants.

The destruction of the historic monument took place on Saturday night, Muhammad Aqleem, Deputy Curator of Swat Museum, said.

"This is second attack on the seventh century statue of Buddha. The fresh attack caused irreparable loss to its head and also damaged its shoulders," he added.

Aqleem maintained that the statue belonged to seventh century A.D, and it was the most complete and inspiring symbol of Gandahara Art.

After the historic statues of Bamiyan in Afghanistan, which were destroyed by the Taliban, the Swat statue was the sole example of Buddhist cultural heritage.

"It was seven meters tall and 20 feet high from the land, showing Buddha in meditation. I don't know what they want to achieve by such actions," The News quoted Aqleem, as saying.

Aqleem said he had reported the incident to the local police but he did not think that the police would be able to protect Buddhist cultural sites in Swat, as they themselves were the victims of terrorist attacks. (ANI)

Dear SN,

You are quite wrong. Please see link below.

Regards

Seventh century Buddha statue destroyed by militants in Swat | Top News

Seventh century Buddha statue destroyed by militants in Swat

Peshawar, Nov 6 : The historic statue of Buddha in the Jihan Abad area of Swat district in Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province (NWFP) has been blown up by unidentified militants.

The destruction of the historic monument took place on Saturday night, Muhammad Aqleem, Deputy Curator of Swat Museum, said.

"This is second attack on the seventh century statue of Buddha. The fresh attack caused irreparable loss to its head and also damaged its shoulders," he added.

Aqleem maintained that the statue belonged to seventh century A.D, and it was the most complete and inspiring symbol of Gandahara Art.

After the historic statues of Bamiyan in Afghanistan, which were destroyed by the Taliban, the Swat statue was the sole example of Buddhist cultural heritage.

"It was seven meters tall and 20 feet high from the land, showing Buddha in meditation. I don't know what they want to achieve by such actions," The News quoted Aqleem, as saying.

Aqleem said he had reported the incident to the local police but he did not think that the police would be able to protect Buddhist cultural sites in Swat, as they themselves were the victims of terrorist attacks. (ANI)

These are the same people who are from Afghanistan they are not Pakistanis as we all know that these terrorists are coming from Afghanistan to hide in our area.

'I think partition was good for both Pakistan as well as India and now Bangladesh. It has allowed creation of a muslim state (pakistan) where majority of the muslims want to follow Islamic values and also a secular state (india) which as days go by with a good media and well educated middle class will intergrate into a harmonious society'.

You mentioned only India while the middle class and education is also growing in Pakistan.

Dear SN,

India needs to intergrate as certain parts of the Islamic teachings donot conform to the majority accepted values of life for eg.Muslims children donot sing the national anthem or take part in yoga which involves bowing to the sun. Pakistan does not have that problem and with the Blasphemy Law dissent on religious beliefs in Pakistan is non-existent so that is the reason India has to intergrate harmoniously unlike Pakistan.

Regards

Do name the the other 997 or so..If it's too much just name another 10 such examples. That would be enough..You can do that, can't you? :)

I am up for the challenge of 1000names.. what shall be my prize?

BTW 30 instead of 10 examples for you...

1. Mulayam Singh Yadav, Ex-DM, EX-CM
2. Kanshi Ram, Chamar
3. Giani Zail Singh, Ex-Pres of India, ex-CM of Punjab, OBC
4. Ashok Gehlot, Ex-CM
5. Sushil Kumar Shinde, EX-CM
6. Arjun Munda, EX-CM
7. Babulal Marandi, ST
8. Buta Singh, EX-Union Minister,Governor
9. Ajit Jogi, EX-CM
10. Shibu Soren EX-CM
11. Madhu Khoda Cm
12. George Fernandes, Ex-DM
13. Ram Vilas Paswan, EX-Union Minister
14. Basavalingappa, Ex-Karanataka Minister
15. HD Kumaraswamy, EX-CM Karanataka
16. KR Narayanan, Ex-Pres, India
17. Guharam Ajgalley, MP
18. Ashok Argal, MP
19. Mahavir Boghra, MP
20. Nihal Chand Chauhan, MP
21. Harishchandra Chavan, MP
22. Chattar Singh Darbar, MP
23. KL, Diler, MP
24. TC Gehlot, MP
25. RC Jigajinagi, MP
26. MK Kanodia, MP
27. Baliram Kashyap, MP
28. BK Katara, MP
29. Ramswaroop Koli, MP
30. FS Kulaste, MP

I'm not sure about the well thing. I'm pretty sure it still goes on.

I am pretty sure it doesn't go on.. but you might know well since you are in....

"Dalits are not allowed to drink from the same wells, attend the same temples, wear shoes in the presence of an upper caste, or drink from the same cups in tea stalls," said Smita Narula, a senior researcher with Human Rights Watch, and author of Broken People: Caste Violence Against India's "Untouchables." Human Rights Watch is a worldwide activist organization based in New York.

FILE NOT FOUND

That from 2003. The Dalits are retaliating, but the law does nothing for them. The law like most of the shining examples of Dalits you quote is just a symbol.

You are free to draw your own conclusions..
as I have said before such cases can happen and will happen but they are isolated incidents.. and probably the last ditch attempt by those still adhering to medieval feudal practise...

These are the same people who are from Afghanistan they are not Pakistanis as we all know that these terrorists are coming from Afghanistan to hide in our area.

It wasn't anyone from Afghanistan that did that to the Swat Buddha. It was just the local radio extremist.

I must agree with RR,

India is still a long way from removing the myth of untouchability from its country however the good thing is they are well on the oneway road of achieving that goal.

Regards

AN untouchability has vanished and what you see are very isolated and rare incidents .....
caste based discrimination is what the fight is all about but things are already looking up....
Dalits already are power centres in UP and Bihar the 2 most populous and feudal states

PS: Funnily discrimination amongst Dalits is pretty high too.. for eg. Chamars and Yadavs cannot see eye to eye :crazy: Jats are also declared as Dalits in certain states....

I am up for the challenge of 1000names.. what shall be my prize?

BTW 30 instead of 10 examples for you...

1. Mulayam Singh Yadav, Ex-DM, EX-CM
2. Kanshi Ram, Chamar
3. Giani Zail Singh, Ex-Pres of India, ex-CM of Punjab, OBC
4. Ashok Gehlot, Ex-CM
5. Sushil Kumar Shinde, EX-CM
6. Arjun Munda, EX-CM
7. Babulal Marandi, ST
8. Buta Singh, EX-Union Minister,Governor
9. Ajit Jogi, EX-CM
10. Shibu Soren EX-CM
11. Madhu Khoda Cm
12. George Fernandes, Ex-DM
13. Ram Vilas Paswan, EX-Union Minister
14. Basavalingappa, Ex-Karanataka Minister
15. HD Kumaraswamy, EX-CM Karanataka
16. KR Narayanan, Ex-Pres, India
17. Guharam Ajgalley, MP
18. Ashok Argal, MP
19. Mahavir Boghra, MP
20. Nihal Chand Chauhan, MP
21. Harishchandra Chavan, MP
22. Chattar Singh Darbar, MP
23. KL, Diler, MP
24. TC Gehlot, MP
25. RC Jigajinagi, MP
26. MK Kanodia, MP
27. Baliram Kashyap, MP
28. BK Katara, MP
29. Ramswaroop Koli, MP
30. FS Kulaste, MP

Your prize is nothing. These aren't Dalits.

One example, I picked at random.

Sardar Buta Singh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's a Sikh. Most of the rest are upper caste or middle HIndus.

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20050617004601901nc3.jpg

FILE NOT FOUND

It works fine.

Dear SN,

RR has already confirmed to you that it was not done by Afghani taliban but by the Pakistani Taliban. Please also read below

Text Begins

There are vast numbers of important Buddhist sites in Swat and other areas of northwest Pakistan," she writes. "At this point, all of them are under threat of destruction, thanks to the influential voice of the Islamist leader Mullah Fazlullah."

Mullah Maulana Fazlullah is currently the strong man in the Swat region, notwithstanding his youth: He is only 28 years old. He thinks of himself as part of the Taliban movement and accepts only one authority: Mullah Omar. He has even proclaimed an "Islamic emirate" in his area of influence, and he commands a militia estimated to comprise some 4,500 men.

Text Ends

The 'Talibanization' of Pakistan: Islamists Destroy Buddhist Statue - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

Regards

AN untouchability has vanished and what you see are very isolated and rare incidents .....

Where has it disappeared to ? Come one malang don't do a white wash job. It is very much in existence. Why I even read that there are a creed of people called dalit muslims and dalit christians. India is atleast 30 years away from your statement.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom