What's new

Panama leak Case Proceedings - JIT Report, News, Updates And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pakistani court removes PM Nawaz Sharif from office in Panama Papers case
Investigative panel alleges prime minister’s family cannot account for its vast wealth

Nawaz Sharif was serving his third stint in power in Pakistan. Photograph: Aamir Qureshi/AFP/Getty Images
Shares

Sune Engel Rasmussen

Friday 28 July 201708.36 BSTLast modified on Friday 28 July 201710.31 BST

Pakistan’s Supreme Court has removed prime minister Nawaz Sharif from office in a unanimous verdict over corruption allegations that will further upset the country’s unstable political landscape.

The verdict, delivered by a five-member supreme court caps year of political controversy, unleashed by the the Panama Papers leak, which documented the involvement of Sharif’s children in the purchase of high-end London property through offshore companies.

A spokesman for Sharif said he had reservations about the court order but had stepped down to show his respect for the judiciary and rule of law.

The governing party, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) must now choose an interim prime minister to rule until the 2018 general election. The party is expected to deliver a statement later today.

The ruling is a big win for opposition leader Imran Khan who has been calling for the removal of Sharif since the beginning of the scandal.

The supreme court bench also referred all material gathered in the investigation to the court of the national accountability bureau, and recommended opening cases against the prime minister and his three children, Maryam, Hassan and Hussain.

Domestic media reported that a criminal investigation would be launched against the premier and his family.

“He is no more eligible to be an honest member of the parliament, and he ceases to be holding the office of prime minister,” the judge Ejaz Afzal Khan said in court.

More details to follow …
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...alifies-pm-nawaz-sharif-from-office?CMP=fb_gu

Ferrari wala kaun?
Tha aik super baboon jis ki kuton wali ki main ney :D
@The Sandman aur @WAJsal ka paka wala dost :D

IMG_20170728_143531.jpeg

Just in case Maryam Nawaz dosnt know the way

man you are late ... we missed you

Bro I'm travelling so I had limited possibility to interact with you guys but I tried to keep myself abreast of the development. But the final verdict just came today at 11:30 PST so not that late. Congratulations to you all and please accept my apologies if I may have been a bit harsh or critical of some of the members when they expressed a bit of pessimism. We are all together in this bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom