What's new

Panama Case - Post Verdict Discussion and Updates

P1-005.jpg

bas case latak gya hai yea ab.

Gaya kaam se case.. now we should sleep peacefully..

I thought he misdeclared the value of the farm land. The farm land was still declared
He misdeclared the value of his Behria town plot and did not show complete land record of his Fateh Jang farm land in nomination papers.

Anyway... samjho he is gone..
and @QatariPrince ...Hold your horses yet guys.

Let's take the main points of proceedings point by point.

• They got exemption from appearance (political/ legal relief) NAB should appeal.
  • They got approval that all cases verdict shall come at the same time(big political relief and actual point of concern, what is legal point to give verdict at the same time but political relief here?) NAB MUST APPEAL.
  • It was stated earlier already by Judge that JIT report cannot be wholly made part of record as it has opinion of jit members along with evidence, so only evidence shall be made part of trial record.
Big test of NAB prosecution as to what steps they take next against the relief...That shall show where this case is headed.

Last edited:

I also believe there is confusion. But I don't think Shareefs are exempted from attendance..

Regarding JIT, I believe the whole report shouldn't be part of the hearing.. only the evidences collected should be part of this trial..

Regarding combining references, I don't know what's happening.. but seems garbar horahi hai kaheen na kaheen..

I also believe there is confusion. But I don't think Shareefs are exempted from attendance..

Regarding JIT, I believe the whole report shouldn't be part of the hearing.. only the evidences collected should be part of this trial..

Regarding combining references, I don't know what's happening.. but seems garbar horahi hai kaheen na kaheen..
They are using delay tactics ... They want verdict post elections

THE EXPRESS TRIBUNE > PAKISTAN
Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan to retire on May 6
ISLAMABAD: Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan of the Supreme Court, who had announced the verdict regarding the disqualification of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, is going to retire on May 6.

Justice Khan was appointed as Peshawar High Court (PHC) judge in September 2000 during Pervez Musharraf’s era but he was the only judge of the PHC who did not take oath under the November 3, 2007 Provisional Constitutional Order (PCO) nor Naek formula.

He was among the few judges who were restored along with former chief justice Iftikhar Chaudhry on March 16, 2009 after a successful lawyers’ movement. He served as PHC judge for nine years and was appointed PHC chief justice in October 2009 and later elevated as Supreme Court judge on November 17, 2011.

Justice Khan will be remembered for his civility. For giving a proper opportunity of hearing in every case, the legal fraternity always pays him highest regard. Even senior lawyers are also unanimous that they may disagree with his verdicts, but his conduct with counsels as well as litigants in the courtroom sets an example for other judges.

He was among the few judges who wrote dissent note during the Iftikhar Chaudhry era. He also dissented with majority opinion regarding the presidential reference related to the seniority of Islamabad High Court judges. He also opposed the majority opinion that Justice Muhammad Anwar Kasi is senior judge.

Justice Khan always preferred to adopt judicial restraint and not to interfere in the executive affairs and his six-page judgment on the plea of Pakistan Steel Peoples Workers Union is evident, wherein he had observed that judicial interference is not a substitute for prudent management.

However, he also received flaks due to his July 28, 2017 ruling, wherein he disqualified the ruling prime minister of the country on account of non-disclosure of his unwithdrawn salary.

Interestingly, he was highly regarded in the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) ranks till the April 20, 2017 verdict in the Panamagate case, wherein he did not endorse senior judge Asif Saeed Khosa’s judgment regarding former prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s disqualification.

However, after the issuance of the verdict and subsequent rejection of Sharif’s review petition, the judge also came under severe criticism of the PML-N followers.

Earlier, Justice Khan was a member of the judicial commission which had rejected Imran Khan’s allegations of rigging in the 2013 polls.

He was also among minority judges who struck down 21st constitutional amendment to try civilians in military courts on August 5, 2015. He was also among minority judges who directed the retired superior courts judges with less than five years of tenure to deposit their pension benefits (Rs1.64 billion).

In 2016, Justice Khan also authored ruling that the service rules of employees of strategic organisations are statutory and they can approach the court for arbitration. He also observed that unaccounted exercise of unfettered powers was dangerous and devastating for an institution like the National Command Authority.

A senior lawyer believes that Justice Khan was a courteous judge who listened attentively and appeared thoughtful. “In my limited experiences of appearing before him, I found him to be an independent yet conservative judge, although the 28th July judgment, in my humble opinion, falls short of the very cogent and persuasive reasoning for disqualification of Sharif,” said PBC member Raheel Kamran Sheikh.

However, renowned lawyer Faisal Siddiqui said Justice Khan would be remembered for his independence which was expressed by the fact that he was never afraid to dissent and always tried to balance law and justice, he added.

Currently, Justice Khan is presiding over a bench which is hearing PML-N leader Talal Chaudhry’s contempt case. The case is adjourned for hearing till Friday. The same bench is hearing the missing persons case which will be taken up on Wednesday.

The bench had asked the government to produce a complete record of all ‘missing’ persons detained in internment centres. The same bench is also hearing matters related to the property disputes of a business tycoon. It will be interesting whether the bench led by Justice Khan will conclude the proceedings in these cases or not.

Justice Ejaz Afzal retires on May 7

ISLAMABAD: Described as a very humble person who always kept his cool at the bench, Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan of the Supreme Court is reaching superannuation on May 7. He will be bade farewell the same day in a full court reference.

With the retirement of Justice Afzal, the number of sitting judges in the top court will come down to 15 out of the sanctioned strength of 17.

Justice Afzal heard a number of important cases, including the Panama Papers, missing persons and Orange Line Metro Train, as well as contempt of court cases against PML-N loyalist Nehal Hashmi and Minister of State for Interior Tallal Chaudhry.

“A man of that rare characteristic judicial temperament,” was a one-liner response by former additional attorney general Tariq Khokhar when asked to define the characteristic of Justice Afzal.

Advocate Asad Raheem Khan was of the view that Justice Afzal demonstrated through actions, not words, the burdens of judicial office: he refused to be restored a moment earlier than former chief justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry in 2009 when the latter was reinstated after being deposed by former president Pervez Musharraf in 2007.

Justice Afzal provided each and every petitioner a patient hearing no matter what the circumstances and his decisions were both thoughtful and compassionate, the counsel said.

Azam Nazeer Tarar, former vice chairman of the Pakistan Bar Council, said Justice Afzal was a pro-litigant judge who was always in search of finding ways and reasons to give relief to the litigants.

PBC’s senior member Raheel Kamran Sheikh praised the stand Justice Afzal had taken while deciding the controversy of seniority between two judges of the Islamabad High Court — Justice Riaz Ahmad Khan and Justice Muhammad Anwar Khan Kasi — on a reference sent by the then president Asif Ali Zardari to the Supreme Court in 2013.

In his note, Justice Afzal had observed that though the president had no power to return a nomination to any of the tiers it had passed from, even if it was violative of the Constitution, the president would not appoint any person as judge of the Supreme Court or chief justice of a high court, whose nomination, in his opinion was against the Constitution.

Published in Dawn, May 1st, 2018

I think references ka ek saath verdict denay walay issue ka abhi decision nahi aaya... waisy is se pehle..references ko combine karnay ki petitions tu basheerra pehle reject karchuka hai..

JIT ke docs ko tu case record ka part banaany ko accept kar liya hai basheeray ne...

Ajeeb khichri hai! Fawad Ch ko jana chaye rooz hearing main. SC main bhi sirf Fawad Ch baher a ker sahi information deta tha beshak wo PTI ka case weak hi ker rahi ho. Idher har journalist apni marzi ki news laga raha hai
This my point too since the start of trial that pti lawyers must attend the trial proceedings and give their pov outside like they did in scp.

The Return of "Kyun Nikala Mujhy? Kyun?" with some extra Kyuns!

مجھے اتنے ووٹ دو تاکہ اسمبلی کے زریعے یہ فیصلے اُٹھا کر باہر پھینک دیں : نواز شریف

PTI ko vote dena matlab un khufiyaan kuwaton ko vote dena hai jinhon nay mujhy baher kya - Nawaz Sharif

The Return of "Kyun Nikala Mujhy? Kyun?" with some extra Kyuns!

مجھے اتنے ووٹ دو تاکہ اسمبلی کے زریعے یہ فیصلے اُٹھا کر باہر پھینک دیں : نواز شریف

PTI ko vote dena matlab un khufiyaan kuwaton ko vote dena hai jinhon nay mujhy baher kya - Nawaz Sharif
Kiyon nikala returns revege of the fallen

In shaa Allah..

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

==================================================

Maryam's views on her father's statement...

Bakvas Sharif and Ran a Sana, It's about your upbringing that reflects in your character assassination shenanigans!!!

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom