What's new

Pakistan's Special Operations Forces: SSG | SSGN | SSW | SOW | SOG

So in a nutshell, the scope of operations or area of deployment increases the versatility and broaden the size of box for elite forces.

Let's say if we have enough resources and decide to start meddling in outside pakistan, automatically our elite forces would be in position of much more training and thus will become more competant and potent

I didn't said only scope of operations is the only requirement.

First comes the modern up to date training and equipment.

Than Operations.
Yes involving in more operations give a picture of them as a potent Special Forces unit.

I didn't said only scope of operations is the only requirement.

First comes the modern up to date training and equipment.

Than Operations.
Yes involving in more operations give a picture of them as a potent Special Forces unit.
That is my opinion. I think when we have higher goals our training and excercises are based on them and thus is our capacity.
Since Pakistan has no goals of doing covert ops outside so we lack that type of training and our forces will never be on that level. Also because we have much internal issues, So to look out we must first eradicate much of internal issues.

That is my opinion. I think when we have higher goals our training and excercises are based on them and thus is our capacity.
Since Pakistan has no goals of doing covert ops outside so we lack that type of training and our forces will never be on that level. Also because we have much internal issues, So to look out we must first eradicate much of internal issues.

Don't think we should expect or even want any information on anything covert to be released, whether anything is happening or not. The tidbits from news, SM and any interesting trends over time are enough for one to gain a picture. Only thing I desire is more information to be disclosed regarding the LOC, because an ISPR tweet every now and again about giving a "befitting reply" is simply not enough.

For internal issues they have to modernize their methods and techniques.

Like CQB, weapon handling and manipulation, more modern weapons and upgrades. Low profile plate carriers, Combat shirts and pants, newer tac boots, helmets, IFAK(Individual First Aid Kits), Team medics, Squad Sniper/Marksman, some other small things....

I really like your question. I'll try to explain with simple example, "No matter how much a student get knowledge, can he/she surpass his/her teacher or master?"

Definitely No.

US Delta Force was was based on SAS but still at number two spot and SAS is at number one spot.
On a wider note SAS/SBS and US MACV-SOG are considered Father and Mother of modern Special Forces around the globe but they are at number one spot no other SF unit is able to Outclass them.

SSG/SSG-N are not the most elite but on of the elite. In my ranking SSG/SSG-N lies around 7th spot in Top Ten.

Only couple of things are stopping them from becoming a 5th place contender and that are lack of modern training and tactics, equipment(including weapons) and limited Area of Operation(Unlike their western or Russian counterparts who track terrorists to other countries in Clandestine/Covert or Non-Covert Operations).

For example British SAS/SBS and Candian Joint Task Force 2 are not officially present in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and African countries. They don't need their government approval, Government often don't know about their presence and they deny any claims about them.
While I don't buy into this ranking exercise, no two SFs are ever alike, but experience-wise, SSG are easily at the very top of the pyramid for special forces operations. The less said the better on this account.

Equipment wise, we are a poor country and it is reflected in the equipment/kit but this isn't what makes a special force "special".

Rifle supported on a makeshift tripod...
IMG_20200929_123246.jpg

Last edited:
While I don't buy into this ranking exercise, no two SFs are ever alike, but experience-wise, SSG are easily at the very top of the pyramid for special forces operations. The less said the better on this account.

Equipment wise, we are a poor country and it is reflected in the equipment/kit but this isn't what makes a special force "special".

it looks like you have some close relation or acquaintance with our SSG personal because whatever you have written over the years is matched with what I have seen and been told by my friends in SSG.

you are right. our SSG operations are mostly classified and are not restricted to beyond our borders with our neighboring countries but their scope goes beyond that and as you said its better to leave it there,
exposure is global for sure but yes, being a third world country the equipment and the support at disposal is not like what the primer special forces of UK and USA have for them. apparently there are 20 support personal per special operative in the field providing him with logistics, RT intel, insertion and extraction, equipment maintenance, support for the families, real time intelligence. their gear is classified and beyond our imagination. SAS personnel had big trouble for posting a group photo on social media with their tactical gear which included some specialized equipment for underwater stealth and fast movement etc.

a family friend of mine since school days met me few years ago and briefed me about his operations in SWAT and tribal areas. he was selected for US Army rangers course and the Turkish special forces courses and preferred the Turks due to more access to the equipment and platforms. he wanted to be SSG instructor but since his promotion to Lt Colonel I haven't been able to contact him. he said that they prepared for all eventualities and are not equipment dependent but having access to modern lighter but effective equipment does enhance their performance.

@Metal 0-1
I had to delete your post that was in response to the post from the gentleman I just quoted. your contributions are most welcome and you are encouraged to give your difference of opinion but please do so with due diligence and some thought. you are a resourceful man and I am sure you can adapt better according to who you address and your choice of words.

please remember its NOT how YOU perceive your own words and actions directed towards others. but its down to OTHERS how they see and react to what you say and do. your post was reported and I agreed that you could've phrased it better.

you don't need to respond to me or prove anything.

Back
Top Bottom