What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
So it's been nearly 7 years this thread has been created and Pakistan still hasn't chosen a new assault rifle. Missed the old days of trolling zarvan who told us few years back how the Scar won and that money wasn't a problem.

When was the G3 replaced/phased out for the Type 56-2, to my knowledge it was during the WoT period so i am guessing 2007-2012?
Also, why was such an aged rifle chosen, at that time even China had ditched the weapon far long ago in favor for the Type 81, so despite that why was the Type 56 selected?
This then leads me to my other question, is it possible that the type 56 is merely an ultra cheap interim rifle?
It might have been a smart choice. I would guess the main reason was rifle accessories, someone in the PA realized that getting a relatively cheaper rifle and giving each soldier proper rifle accessories might be more effective than buying more expensive rifles and sending them out stock. Sure the Type 56-II is cheap, but have you noticed the fact that all PA soldiers now use them with optics, slings, grips etc and several units are also getting modernized polymer furniture with the AK-203 style stocks on their AKs. This is still a major upgrade over a G3 which is not only unwieldy but also didn’t have any room for accessories (at least in the PA).

it might also be an “interim” rifle, but it’s going to stay for a while, PA has other priorities for its funds right now, we will see an eventual replacement, hopefully one that; is homegrown. PA did try the first offering that came out of POF but it didn’t pass trials, now there’s a second offering, not sure if they’ll try it.

new rifle coming or no?
Yes this is it.
220420-O-D0439-001M.JPG

If they can do something about it's furniture and roller delayed action

Sure

he meant the 7 year old trials and its final contenders being chosen. as for M5, I doubt this will be offered to Pakistan. But what do I know.
There shouldn't be any doubts

1st That thing is 38K $ a pop

2nd The action of the rifle itself is classified

Last edited:
Its almost a $500M investment in uplift of POF facilities plus licensing that Pakistan has to fork out to switch to the next generation weapon system for infantry. The government has no money for this. Thus variants of G-3, AKs with 3rd party add-ons will continue.

With 60% of the defence budget being funded through loans instead of homegrown revenue generation, one can imagine the principle + interest implications of such a venture on an economy which is already extremely stressed.

Scar is around 45000

AK 103s are dirt cheap 500-700$

But if you buy custom AK that's like 1000 -2000
I think you have one extra zero in your price. The SCAR is in the range of $3500-$4500 at retail pricing in the civilian market. For militaries, the unit cost would be lower.

India will reorder 73000 sig 716 , even though galil is now made in India by plr systems with joint venture with IWI
E2NpERbVUAIIXML.jpg_large.jpg

A range of products made by plr at gwalior factory of theirs

Its almost a $500M investment in uplift of POF facilities plus licensing that Pakistan has to fork out to switch to the next generation weapon system for infantry. The government has no money for this. Thus variants of G-3, AKs with 3rd party add-ons will continue.

With 60% of the defence budget being funded through loans instead of homegrown revenue generation, one can imagine the principle + interest implications of such a venture on an economy which is already extremely stressed.

I think you have one extra zero in your price. The SCAR is in the range of $3500-$4500 at retail pricing in the civilian market. For militaries, the unit cost would be lower.
Pardon me for my ignorance but i dare to assume most money is channeled towards procurement of big ticket items like tanks , helis etc .
And small arms take a secondry nature , isn't it ?

Yeah my bad

Back
Top Bottom