What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
It looks great. But it's pretty funny how in the comments people think there's some G3 propaganda happening.
Some interesting clarifications by Salman Ali in comment section of this video

1642199653297.png

1642199743540.png

1642199983735.png

1642200166741.png

Work on PK-18 and PK-21 is discontinued as stated by Salman Ali of POF you can visit his youtube channel in one of latest series he disclose this information.
Here is the Comment which I was referring to in my quoted post the confusion was related to my memory that I thought it was part of the video which in fact was a clarification by Salman Ali against the a query in comment section of one of his video (video link)
1642202517342.png

FYI @farooqbhai007 & @Bilal.

Maybe you need glasses then. Find me a picture from the last 3 years of a single G3 in use in a combat setting wether it be on LoC or WoT. G3 is not in common use anymore. Only carried by sentries at times, even they mostly carry type 56s. PA has been ordering and receiving new Type 56-IIMs and other modernized AKs constantly for a few years now, but haven’t made a single order for new G3s, where do you think these AKs are going?

Even Non-infantry units have phased out G3s, I visited Swat in 2016 where non-inf units had taken security charge to free up infantry units, didn’t see a single G3 anywhere in sight, andthey were all artillery boys. I visited LOC side in 2020, bridging units had phased out G3s as well, the infantry there hasn’t used G3s for ages anyways. Drive through Rawalpindi, 90% of the sentries are carrying Type 56s. Yes G3s are still in use and you see them once in a while, but I don’t know where you saw 90% of PA using G3s. Even the training is done with Type 56.

Aik to pakistanion ko point marne mein bohot maza ata hai but thori si research karne pe mout parti hay. The G3s are all still in storage and will totally be used in the case of a war, but are they the preferred weapon/weapon of choice? Not anymore, with good reason too, the Type 56-II is better in every way for a modern combat scenario, wether COIN or conventional, simply because of its lighter weight, lower recoil and ability to mount accessories, though PA still does need modern rifles to replace it.
I dont think absence of pictures means its not in use anymore. The reason we got more pictures of AK variants is because of COIN operations in last 10 years. Otherwise for eastern border G3 should be the work horse.

I dont think absence of pictures means its not in use anymore. The reason we got more pictures of AK variants is because of COIN operations in last 10 years. Otherwise for eastern border G3 should be the work horse.
And I say don't trust anyone on this. I am pretty sure eventually we would select some foreign rifle to replace G3 and Type 56.

Here is the Comment which I was referring to in my quoted post the confusion was related to my memory that I thought it was part of the video which in fact was a clarification by Salman Ali against the a query in comment section of one of his video (video link)
View attachment 808675
FYI @farooqbhai007 & @Bilal.
So the indication is they are developing BW21 as multi-caliber platform. That would be sweet.

Except absence of pictures wasn’t the reason I said it’s not in common service. I said it’s not in common service because it’s not in common service. Most soldiers on LOC/eastern border have been carrying only AK pattern rifles for several years now. You can pull up any picture, documentary (there’s literally dozens made every year), training exercise, visit from COAS, news report, (or go there yourself as I happened to do many times) and confirm it yourself.

Why would the PA use a G3 over a type 56 when they have the latter available and it’s clearly the better option? I don’t think people realize just how bad of a gun the G3 is for modern use. I’d rather use an old and unmodified Type 56 over a G3 any day.
And I say don't trust anyone on this. I am pretty sure eventually we would select some foreign rifle to replace G3 and Type 56.
Type 56 has been in service for over three decades, Type 56-I is still seen sometimes but has mostly been phased out, Type 56-II and other Modernized AKs are the most common rifles in PA service atm , they’re still buying more in fact. But it is a stop gap until a proper replacement is selected, it’s at least an effective stop gap to G3s and Older Type 56s because they can mount rails, optics and other attachments on these, but they’re definitely not ideal.

Except absence of pictures wasn’t the reason I said it’s not in common service. I said it’s not in common service because it’s not in common service. Most soldiers on LOC/eastern border have been carrying only AK pattern rifles for several years now. You can pull up any picture, documentary (there’s literally dozens made every year), training exercise, visit from COAS, news report, (or go there yourself as I happened to do many times) and confirm it yourself.

Why would the PA use a G3 over a type 56 when they have the latter available and it’s clearly the better option? I don’t think people realize just how bad of a gun the G3 is for modern use. I’d rather use an old and unmodified Type 56 over a G3 any day.

Type 56 has been in service for over three decades, Type 56-I is still seen sometimes but has mostly been phased out, Type 56-II and other Modernized AKs are the most common rifles in PA service atm , they’re still buying more in fact. But it is a stop gap until a proper replacement is selected, it’s at least an effective stop gap to G3s and Older Type 56s because they can mount rails, optics and other attachments on these, but they’re definitely not ideal.
question do all units get tactically modified aks or just specialized ones?

question do all units get tactically modified aks or just specialized ones?
The acquisitions are made by regiments themselves and not as a whole by the army, the army from the center just gives certain guidelines and lists of items within which the acquisitions are to be made, so for example the army says that XYZ is the standard rifle (as AK pattern is right now), and then based on what kind of funds the regiment has, some get type 56-IIs with rails and attachments (most common config atm, similarly there’s a standard for what optics, grips etc are allowed and then the regiments purchase them as needed), some units are modernizing them further with better furniture and stocks, some are also using stock type 56-IIs, most if not all of the regiments in combat zones and LOC will have modified (attachments) rifles, Any regiments caught to be lacking in Armament and not keeping a standard with the rest of the force can be penalized (as in, whoever in the regiment is in charge of maintaining said standards), wether it be guns, ammo, body armor, vehicles etc.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Whoever let Salman Ali do all of this advertising for POF, kudos to them! Let's hope we see a PAC Salman Ali too :-)
I say this in the most complimentary way, but Salman Ali is a geek. He loves his work and he loves his guns. He's like a Henry Ford. If anyone gives this guy $50 M to go and set up his own small arms company, I'm sure he can go quite far.

Back
Top Bottom