What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
There are other rifles too with the same buffet of benefits ...why you are stuck in SCAR ...?

I know, just offering a comparison to the Scar-H, as was asked for by Sage. He wanted to know if;

"There are other rifles too with the same buffet of benefits"

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/details-coas-briefed-on-future-standard-rifle-trails.425906/page-2#ixzz430nGew3n

Which there are, that would include other high-caliber rifles like the HK-417, MPT-76 and Russian alternatives like AK-103/104.

The Fn scar is as of right now the best in the market, it can be considered even better than Hk416. The main advantages it has are, is its low recoil because of its unique muzzle break(Even its 7.62 rounds recoil comes close to even that of a 5.56 round of an average rifle), Ease of assembly and reassembly without the use of any tools(Hk416 needs 3 tools for all adjustments), It has a chrome lined barrel which increases barrel life and reliability{Hk416 doesnt have a chrome lined barrel as Hk believes that it reduces accuracy(total bullshit) and says that the opportunity cost is justified}, Ambidextrous charging handle(The Hk416 retains the T shape M16 charging handle which has its own flaws), The Fn scar is lighter than most rifles with a standard weight of 3.29 kgs(The standard Hk416 weighs at 3.560kg), And lastly the most important part the Fn scar is more reliable than any other operational rifle, this is what it scored in the now canceled individual carbine competition "The XM8(Not operational) scored the best, with only 127 stoppages in 60,000 total rounds, the FN SCAR Light had 226 stoppages, while the HK416 had 233 stoppages. The M4 carbine scored "significantly worse" than the rest of the field with 882 stoppages".

Last edited:
How about joint-production of MPT-76---customized according to Pakistani needs and build by Pakistan under transfer of technology agreement with Turkey?

Your assumption of 50% reduction in production cost is based on what? Lets analyze production cost,
Typically (not all, depending on the complexity and number of operations) production cost of an engineered item in Pakistan would be

Materials = 70 ~ 80%
Direct Labout = 5 ~ 10%
Overheads = 15~20%

Lets assume materials used are basic and easily available and the cost remains the same for the foreign OEM or Pakistan. if is advanced materials, then probably our costs would be much higher due to import at cost+profit basis

Overheads for Pakistan would be very high due to new investment in machinery and equipment, training, setup and trial run costs

That leaves labour, which would be lower than as compared to any foreign manufacturer, but even if we reduce it by 100%, it's only 5-10% cost reduction.
It is late and I am tired so I may not be able to fully grasp your post. Also, I am not an expert. My assumption was based on the cheap labour available to us.

What about the production costs in US? direct labour percentage?

Why would overheads be so high? Its not like we are starting from scratch? I doubt we have to import/buy a lot of machinery. I also doubt that the rest of things would cost us a lot.

@ConcealCarry

Also, You forgot to deduct the profit from MSRP.

How about joint-production of MPT-76---customized according to Pakistani needs and build by Pakistan under transfer of technology agreement with Turkey?
Not being offered, so no.

Look at it like this: Pakistan gets 100% ToT for FN SCAR H in return for 10% royalty payed to FN for every rifle produced. Local production will cut the costs by 50% and you'll have a rifle for $1650 after paying $150 to FN.

If we produce 1.1 millioin rifles, FN will gain $165 million worth of profits over the course of 5-10 years.
Where on earth did you get those numbers?

1066078-chiefofarmystaffgeneralraheelsharifinspectsweaponsISPR-1458045840-260-640x480.gif

Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif inspects a weapon during his visit to the Pakistan Ordnance Factory in Wah on March 15, 2016. PHOTO: ISPR

Excuse my lack of knowledge but I want to know, if Pakistan produces these rifles or asked from the other countries?

1066078-chiefofarmystaffgeneralraheelsharifinspectsweaponsISPR-1458045840-260-640x480.gif

Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif inspects a weapon during his visit to the Pakistan Ordnance Factory in Wah on March 15, 2016. PHOTO: ISPR
He looks super interested in the Bren(?), maybe he has a favorite already?

@Quwa @Horus @Icarus @Irfan Baloch @balixd

With this news out, is it safe to say that the competition is nearing it's end, or at least close to the end? I only ask, because it remained an open secret up until now, and the rifles have apparently already been heavily tested.

Also, can we merge this thread with Pakistan's Future Service Rifle.?

I humbly request Not to merge but continue on this as the Final candidates are now known to us. Thanks.
@Quwa @Horus @Icarus @Irfan Baloch @balixd

Back
Top Bottom