What's new

Pakistan's ISI chief heads to U.S. as ties flounder

The US Generals come over to hector Pakistan and mostly to 'advise' how the Pakistan Army is to operate! That is what the media informs.
Well, if it is what the 'media informs' that you want to use as justification, then the 'media has informed' us about what Pasha went to the US to do as well, as well as 'informing' us about Pasha telling Pinyata that 'he is not answerable to the CIA'.

You can't have it both ways.

I concede that the US Pakistan relation does not concern me directly, but the way in which the US is handling Pakistan does agitate me because of the manner they want to keep the upper hand even though it is they who require Pakistan, if they want to carry on with the action in Afghanistan.
We agree on the manner of US engagement with Pakistan, and I do appreciate your support on that, but I do think that many Pakistanis as well as Indians get carried away with hyperbole in trying to analyze every single event that takes place in the US-Pak relationship.

Just take the last few month events. The US is doing exactly what they want. Ek to chori, upar se sina jori!!

They cut military aid and then within a few days carry out a devastating Drone attack!!

Has Pakistan stopped even the logistics passing through Pakistan in retaliation? No. Not even spoken about it.
That would indicate that the situation is not as 'unbalanced' as one might think - Pakistan had no qualms about cutting off the logistics in the aftermath of the killing of Pakistani soldiers on the Pak-Afghan border by US choppers, I don't think we would have hesitated in this instance either, if we deemed it necessary.
So why should Pasha go? Just to tell them that CIA rings will be busted?

That is hardly a reason to go. Or is it? That is the question.

I say it is time to catch the bull by the horns!
IMO, both the US and Pakistan are 'negotiating bazaar style'. Pakistan made clear that it was not opposed to 'legal and authorized US military/intelligence personnel and operations in Pakistan', yet it ended up expelling US personnel that met the Pakistani conditions. The US cut military aid and wants a return of the personnel in exchange for a resumption of aid.

Both sides caving in on the above issues returns us to the status quo - what is really being negotiated are continued terms of engagement and military/intelligence cooperation in Pakistan, which is likely not going to be a return to the 'status quo', and will also not be 100% of what each side would prefer to see happen.

............... which is likely not going to be a return to the 'status quo', and will also not be 100% of what each side would prefer to see happen.

I think that is the definition of SUCCESSFUL NEGOTIATION. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom