What's new

Pakistan's Artillery Upgrade Discussions

Reading about Nora all i love is MRSI. :lol:

Serously, it is a good system and MRSI also is a game changer. As i said, this is what keep artillery relevant in modern combat. There are unit level efforts to make our existing guns computerized and that will be a huge advantage if aupported by top brass. There is some real talent out there, USE IT is the message
A very wise decision going for this gun as it offers the crew protection from the element with its armored compartment for gun crews. The Nora has come a long way from its original inception, A lesson FN can learn on how to improve things :cheesy:

A very wise decision going for this gun as it offers the crew protection from the element with its armored compartment for gun crews. The Nora has come a long way from its original inception, A lesson FN can learn on how to improve things :cheesy:
I see what you did there.
I am not taking the bait! :woot:

Any news on Caesar as per @Horus it was being inspected?

Makes sense to buy Korean Gun for Korean Ammo. Even though its NATO standard to be fired from any NATO standard barrel :enjoy:

No news regarding Caesar.

On 3 January 2017, also arrived 40mm AGL from Hanwha Corporation and 155mm artillery ammo from Poongsan Corporation.

KH179.png

(Off-topic)
@Bilal Khan (Quwa)

WIDE AREA DENIAL MUNITION
section2_1_4_2_img.jpg

Our Wide Area Denial Munition is an intelligent munition that utilizes sensors and communications technology to autonomously detect and strike the adversary's moving weapons. Once its warhead is launched, the infrared sensor mounted on the warhead identifies the selected target and fires an explosively formed penetrator (EFP) to attack and penetrate the upper part of the target.
http://www.hanwhacorp.co.kr/eng/defense/business/area2_1.jsp

========================
Interesting item I must say it should attract some interest form our side ...

Firtina and K-9 harbor some similar technologies on chassis and overall design but turret and FCS units are different. Turkey is working on a new version self propelled howitzer called Firtina-II. It is going to be much more effective on longer ranges and operability on hot conflict zones thanks to situation awareness and stabilized gun. The new version is being developed thanks to lessons received at Syria operation. It is planned to be revealed/inducted into Army in 2019.

(Off-topic)
@Bilal Khan (Quwa)

section2_1_4_2_img.jpg

Our Wide Area Denial Munition is an intelligent munition that utilizes sensors and communications technology to autonomously detect and strike the adversary's moving weapons. Once its warhead is launched, the infrared sensor mounted on the warhead identifies the selected target and fires an explosively formed penetrator (EFP) to attack and penetrate the upper part of the target.

========================
Absolutely! If not the exact munition (with ToT) then at least some technical assistance so that Pakistan can build its own different equivalent.

Last edited:
Many years ago a production line was obtained from SK for making ammo for 155mm guns but no modern guns were acquired. Bizarre way defence procurements works in Pakistan.
That ammo was common for all 155mm in our inventory. It dosnt have to have SK guns.

(Off-topic)
@Bilal Khan (Quwa)

section2_1_4_2_img.jpg

========================
VERY VERY interesting indeed. We (me and @Bilal Khan (Quwa) ) were talking about the advantages of such a weapons system but were of the view that there is really nothing in the league of CBU-97.
Now this might not exactly be that but a very interesting system indeed. No detail of its size are available on the site but if we can fit 6 or 8 of these in a cluster bomb dispenser it will be very lethal against enemy armored formations.

Great share sir. :)

VERY VERY interesting indeed. We (me and @Bilal Khan (Quwa) ) were talking about the advantages of such a weapons system but were of the view that there is really nothing in the league of CBU-97.
Now this might not exactly be that but a very interesting system indeed. No detail of its size are available on the site but if we can fit 6 or 8 of these in a cluster bomb dispenser it will be very lethal against enemy armored formations.

If each one is the size a coffee mug, they can probably fit several dozen of these into a single GB6.

http://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci...._1x_/public/gb-6_glide_bomb.jpg?itok=IgPhbsfe

If each one is the size a coffee mug, they can probably fit several dozen of these into a single GB6.

http://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci...._1x_/public/gb-6_glide_bomb.jpg?itok=IgPhbsfe
I think it will be bigger
If its around 80 100 pound still we can get around 8 of them in a single shell. That can be very effective. Our own CBU 97.
Well lets take this discussion to its appropiate thread then
:)

List of Artillery Guns Pakistan Army is using now.

View attachment 402976
The idea is to standardize all these to two or three tiwed artillery, one or max two SPH wheeled options and one or two SPH tracked options, ALL in 155mm. Basiclly, the plan is to standardize to 155.

However personally i will like at least one gun in 105mm for northern area as there are loght weight options available tht can be carried by our helicopters. 150-200/220 of thise light weigh guns will not only serve us well in Kashmir region but also be a must for rapid deployment units in other areas due to its helicopter transportable weight.

The Denel G7 LEO is a good example of a relevant 105mm gun. It has the range and terminal performance of a 155mm gun, but it's much lighter at 3,800 kg. At less than 5,000 kg (i.e. the Mi-17's payload), one can ferry the gun and its ammunition.

@Arsalan Theoretically, it may be possible to fit guided sub-munitions to an artillery shell. Rheinmetall already does it with the SMArt-155:

Standing for Sensor-fused Munition for Artillery, Calibre 155mm, SMArt 155 is a robust, highly effective "fire and forget" artillery shell. Each round carries a payload consisting of two autonomous, intelligent, high-performance submunitions. These are capable of neutralizing stationary and moving armoured vehicles of all types, including main battle tanks, in any environment and in all weathers. SMArt 155 makes it possible to halt an armoured assault with minimum ammunition expenditure and pinpoint accuracy, even at long ranges of engagement. The risk of collateral damage is reduced to a minimum.

https://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/en/rheinmetall_defence/public_relations/news/detail_1433.php

Damn I actually pointed out Chinese and Russian sensor fuzed/fused ammo on the other thread but no + for me:frown:. This resembles the Russian one quite a bit.

CQoRPkAUYAABffF.jpg

SPBE-5.jpg

The Denel G7 LEO is a good example of a relevant 105mm gun. It has the range and terminal performance of a 155mm gun, but it's much lighter at 3,800 kg. At less than 5,000 kg (i.e. the Mi-17's payload), one can ferry the gun and its ammunition.

@Arsalan Theoretically, it may be possible to fit guided sub-munitions to an artillery shell. Rheinmetall already does it with the SMArt-155:

Standing for Sensor-fused Munition for Artillery, Calibre 155mm, SMArt 155 is a robust, highly effective "fire and forget" artillery shell. Each round carries a payload consisting of two autonomous, intelligent, high-performance submunitions. These are capable of neutralizing stationary and moving armoured vehicles of all types, including main battle tanks, in any environment and in all weathers. SMArt 155 makes it possible to halt an armoured assault with minimum ammunition expenditure and pinpoint accuracy, even at long ranges of engagement. The risk of collateral damage is reduced to a minimum.

https://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/en/rheinmetall_defence/public_relations/news/detail_1433.php
Actually you mentioned G7 perviously and then i studied more about it. The more i learned the better it looked, suiting our requirments perfectly. That is why i am of the view now that other than following that standardization project aiming for an all 155mm artillery, we need to keep 200/220 guns in 105mm, light weight as G7 so that:
  1. we can usethem in northern areas, transportable by our Mi17 fleet
  2. Use them with rapid deployment units in punjab and sindh as well where these can be moved quickly by air.
An excellent choice for us and a must required to be honest. Using artillery rockets with these will be an additional bonus for sure but these are required even without it. In today's warfare you cannot move those artillery on mules and expect your guys to defend against rapidly moving enemy. Yes our northern areas have good road access but a few guns that can be caried by our helicopter fleet will be a huge plus for sure. I hope our military planners are thinking about this as well.

Damn I actually pointed out Chinese and Russian sensor fuzed/fused ammo on the other thread but no + for me:frown:. This resembles the Russian one quite a bit.

CQoRPkAUYAABffF.jpg

SPBE-5.jpg
Sorry that i missed it. Do guide me to that post please!

Back
Top Bottom