What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Their range is impressive

Issue they face is they put the system on a 4 engined old Russian design with old turbofans. Naturally this will make serviceability difficult. Same as if PAF put Erieyes system on C-130. Also every air force (apart from IAF) knows you need at least minimum of 4 jets to keep one airborne 24/7. Fascinating IAF did not order more then 3.

If you look at the overall picture, PAF has less then a third of the budget IAF has but has decided to make much more investment in AEW then IAF. Another factor in the differences between the two air forces...

I believe Pakistan should have a few Business Jet based Erieye too! For speedy assistance for deep strike package.

Business Jet ?

For example.....

Global 6000, i.e the Globaleye suite, however i disagree with his comment

I believe Pakistan should have a few Business Jet based Erieye too! For speedy assistance for deep strike package.

They can do that just fine as is, why does it need to be BizJet based?

Global 6000, i.e the Globaleye suite, however i disagree with his comment

Well! my readings is that JF-17 - B-III is coming.

It will fill many gaps that currently exist: speed, agility, simultaneous weapon delivery (along with the SEAD / ELINT ability).

Brazil, Mexico, UAE and Greece has both Turboprop Saab 340 and Turbofan Embraer

Yes, but as this video mentioned, the system installed on Indian Embraer has 200-km range (Pakistan SAAB has 400-km range).
I am only guessing, but it may be difficult to install a bigger system on a smaller plane. --- I may be totally wrong.

Last edited:
Why Not! Speed is one, second its ferry range or Distance is vastly greater than Saab 2000 it will add 2-3k nm.

Well! my readings is that JF-17 - B-III is coming.

It will fill many gaps that currently exist: speed, agility, simultaneous weapon delivery.
fighter's don't fulfil the role of AEW&C, fighters are AEW&C dependent despite all the fancy gizmos.

Yes, but as this video mentioned, the system installed on Indian Embraer has 200-km range (Pakistan SAAB has 400-km range).
I only guessing, but it may be difficult to install a bigger system on a smaller plane. --- I may be totally wrong.
That is a difference of Radar BUT a faster aircraft can compensate for it! it can get out of harm's way faster than a turboprop can.

Is the German plane, that PAF recently received, LRMTP, jet propelled (rather than turbo-prop)

Why Not! Speed is one, second its ferry range or Distance is vastly greater than Saab 2000 it will add 2-3k nm.

fighter's don't fulfil the role of AEW&C, fighters are AEW&C dependent despite all the fancy gizmos.

That is a difference of Radar BUT a faster aircraft can compensate for it! it can get out of harm's way faster than a turboprop can.

But why do we need that much range? The PAF would just be spending on stuff it doesnt need at that point, we are a TINY country, the Erieye could even provide border to border surveillance at some parts

But why do we need that much range? The PAF would just be spending on stuff it doesnt need at that point, we are a TINY country, the Erieye could even provide border to border surveillance at some parts
You are Not grasping the bigger picture! All the current fleet is for defensive purposes so Saab 2000 makes sense as it will not venture beyond the border! BUT if there is a need for greater range with speed for a mission requirement where the aircraft must go beyond the borders into hostile territory! do you take slow less range Turboprop? or are you going to take an aircraft with speed and range on its side?

Issue they face is they put the system on a 4 engined old Russian design with old turbofans. Naturally this will make serviceability difficult. Same as if PAF put Erieyes system on C-130. Also every air force (apart from IAF) knows you need at least minimum of 4 jets to keep one airborne 24/7. Fascinating IAF did not order more then 3.

If you look at the overall picture, PAF has less then a third of the budget IAF has but has decided to make much more investment in AEW then IAF. Another factor in the differences between the two air forces...
They are adding 3 more at....2+b$..on plateform that is notorious for poor availability ..

Speed does not mean anything as when the Embraer or any other biz jet is in operation as an AWACS its speed is the same as that of the Saab 2000 or any other propeller driven aircraft. The only benefit of the speed is thus just the ingress to the station and flying back to base, neither of which are that important given Pakistans geography and the number of platforms available to PAF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom