What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

If this is a Pakistani order, it would bring the PAF's fleet to 8-9 aircraft.

It would be interesting if the PAF will continue operating the ZDK03, or if it would look at transferring those to the PN. The latter had wanted its own AEW&C (Hawkeye 2000 on the P-3B), but now, it's expanding its own network-enabled assets.

Hell of a lot of AEW aircraft for a country our size. Means we can keep at least 2 Erieyes and 1 ZDK up in the air permanantly during times of tension

As the Airforce is responsible for defense of entire airspace including over the sea, they will probably stay with the PAF, the thing that could change that would be if PN acquired a large fighter arm.

Considering all the services are going to be data linked and then data linked with each other, we will be probably going down the joint theatre commands route, which is going to be challenging and expensive and will require a change of mindset, and training in the higher level training institutes.
One other thing that might stop the PN from acquiring the ZDK03s is that it's adding an AEW element to its next-gen LRMPAs. Sure, this won't provide as much coverage range as the ZDK03, but it might be good enough for the PN in terms of the capabilities it wants to directly control.

Hell of a lot of AEW aircraft for a country our size. Means we can keep at least 2 Erieyes and 1 ZDK up in the air permanantly during times of tension
Yep. If anything, an additional order would certainly build a reserve.

As the Airforce is responsible for defense of entire airspace including over the sea, they will probably stay with the PAF, the thing that could change that would be if PN acquired a large fighter arm.

Considering all the services are going to be data linked and then data linked with each other, we will be probably going down the joint theatre commands route, which is going to be challenging and expensive and will require a change of mindset, and training in the higher level training institutes.
You have not answered the main question which is if these are ordered by us or not? A response would be duly appreciated my friend.
Regards
A

You have not answered the main question which is if these are ordered by us or not? A response would be duly appreciated my friend.
Regards
A

Nothing is clear, SAAB hasnt disclosed but it is HIGHLY PROBABLE its for us since we have 3 SAAB 2000's without the Erieye ordered in 2018 and 3 Erieye systems were ordered, if it was for someone else, they would have gone for the globaleye suite which uses a more modern antenna, the PAF and RSAF are the only S2K Erieye users

Regards
A

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

SH.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

SH.
So Ibrahin AS asks Allah izza wa Jal how he brings things to life Allah asks him do you not have faith. Ibrahim AS replies I do but just to put my heart at ease . I am facing the same dilemma even though I am a lowly person as compared to Ibrahim AS.
Hope you can see the humour in my post.
A

So Ibrahin AS asks Allah izza wa Jal how he brings things to life Allah asks him do you not have faith. Ibrahim AS replies I do but just to put my heart at ease . I am facing the same dilemma even though I am a lowly person as compared to Ibrahim AS.
Hope you can see the humour in my post.
A

I do brother, and I totally understand where you are coming from, but the big knobs don't take kindly.....to you know what. Vague comments will have to do, until the bird is in hand.

I do brother, and I totally understand where you are coming from, but the big knobs don't take kindly.....to you know what. Vague comments will have to do, until the bird is in hand.
Saab gave it away by giving thr model details..the only two possibilities are saudis (if they are poor othwerwise they would have gone for ER) or pakistan

One other thing that might stop the PN from acquiring the ZDK03s is that it's adding an AEW element to its next-gen LRMPAs. Sure, this won't provide as much coverage range as the ZDK03, but it might be good enough for the PN in terms of the capabilities it wants to directly control.
Seaspray 7300E's Max Range would be around 480km conidering 7000E version has 370 and 7500E Version has 593 km. Whats the range of radar of ZDK 3?

Thank you.
Kind regards
A

That will come with the newer and more informed generation of officers who would discard the bureaucracy and jealousy of the old guard - good riddance to that.

If this is a Pakistani order, it would bring the PAF's fleet to 8-9 aircraft.

It would be interesting if the PAF will continue operating the ZDK03, or if it would look at transferring those to the PN. The latter had wanted its own AEW&C (Hawkeye 2000 on the P-3B), but now, it's expanding its own network-enabled assets.
It also points to the total integration of the SAAB product into the system and the essential “failure” of the ZDK series.

They will likely end up much like our IL-78s and delegated to secondary roles for maritime monitoring rather than AEW.

That will come with the newer and more informed generation of officers who would discard the bureaucracy and jealousy of the old guard - good riddance to that.

It also points to the total integration of the SAAB product into the system and the essential “failure” of the ZDK series.

They will likely end up much like our IL-78s and delegated to secondary roles for maritime monitoring rather than AEW.

Yes, I remember chatting to someone in PAF when decision was made to order ZDK and Erieye. PAF always wanted to go for 6 full Erieyes but Pakistan was under a lot of Chinese pressure to be the first customer for ZDK. Hence we compromised and went for 4 of each. Erieye can do whatever ZDK can do over water. It is also telling Erieye has around 10 users and we are only export customer for ZDK.

PAF now fixed the issue and looks like we will have a 9 strong Erieye fleet which is enough for 2 airborne permanetly. That covers all of Pakistan 24/7. If we can also integrate Erieye with Ships, JF-17 and P3C/ATRs then I really do not see what role there is left for ZDK. If anything it will add to logistic problems and may cause a confused air picture and time delays if it can not be integrated with all assets like Erieye can.

Yep and the PAF never intended to fly the IL-78s for long. They wanted a dual boom/drogue AAR, but Airbus' A330 MRTT was both expensive and, when the PAF was open to it, denied (someone in the know basically said, "anything of strategic value is generally out-of-reach."

That said, I do wish the PAF would fund a pilot to see if they can integrate UPAZ pods to old A330s.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see if this same rule means we'll never see the Erieye ER. Its 70% range improvement would certainly give the PAF a practical edge (AEW&C can see further while flying farther away).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom